Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

My only exposure to Casandra Cain has been the numerous post on the internet about how great of a character she is and so my perspective is biased but honestly I don't see nothing really remarkable about her, she seems to me like your archetypical mysterious waif with some characteristics to show how cool she is (she can't socialize but she can kick Batman's rear end)

In a way, she seems to me to follow the same template as Jean Paul Valley.

I can quite easily say roughly the same about Jason Todd yet you incessantly harp on about that loser like he's the second coming. Everyone's got their favourites, kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I saw a lady cosplaying as Jason Todd at BCC and wanted to get her info to send to DT on principle. I didn't, though, because that would be creepy and weird.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Flameingblack posted:

Cassandra is the same character as X-23, except one is Wolverine and the other is Batman. There's better X-23 stories and she isn't handled pissed poorly ALL the time. There's some good issues of her latest on-going where she babysits the Richards kids, bonds with Gambit (Who treats her like a daughter and not a toy)and she makes friends with Jubilee

Every comic issue is a gamble, and the odds are usually pretty bad. The only way to ensure that a character gets good stories (eventually) is to keep them around and written and trust in the law of averages.

Is there any real insight into why CC is so completely banned? It seems too absurdly unreasonable and too specifically targeted to just be generic 90's successor character antipathy...

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I honestly would have been pretty happy to reset back to Dick as Robin and Babs as Batgirl and just let people do new things. I mean I love Tim and Damian (don't give a single gently caress about Jason) but the way they did it was so half-assed. It's hard not to cry sexism when Jason fuckin' Todd's in the mix but Cass Cain who was legally adopted by Bruce Wayne is completely forbidden.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Comics are a weird business from the point of view of the feelings they engender. Certain characters can mass appeal. And some are like Marmite, with people who LOVE them or HATE them.

Take Keith Giffen, for example. He's an excellent writer who created a lot of fantastic characters and has a lot of amazing storylines. But he loving hated Osiris and Karate Kid. And one of his objectives in 52 (even before he found out the overall twist) was to kill Osiris. And he said it was the same thing with Countdown. One of the conditions to him agreeing to do that weekly series was so he could make Karate Kid suffer a slow and painful death.

And likewise you get the opposite with some writers having a huge love feeling for some characters and bringing them back and using them just for that reason. (Like Joss Wheadon and Colossus.)

Now, I'm not saying that someone high up at DC falls into the same category and has a huge hatred of Cassandra Caine....but I wouldn't be surprised is all.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

The Question IRL posted:

Comics are a weird business from the point of view of the feelings they engender. Certain characters can mass appeal. And some are like Marmite, with people who LOVE them or HATE them.

Take Keith Giffen, for example. He's an excellent writer who created a lot of fantastic characters and has a lot of amazing storylines. But he loving hated Osiris and Karate Kid. And one of his objectives in 52 (even before he found out the overall twist) was to kill Osiris. And he said it was the same thing with Countdown. One of the conditions to him agreeing to do that weekly series was so he could make Karate Kid suffer a slow and painful death.

So he hated a character that was created during 52? I am also pretty sure that Geoff Johns was the writer for that section. He was also only the artist for Countdown. He did however kill him in Legion of Superheroes 4

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
IId definitely say one of the most interesting aspects of the current entertainment industry is how biased it really is, with one of my worst fears is how One More Day came around because Quesada wanted a Peter Parker he could live vicariously through, who was younger, fitter, and singl'e. Avengers Arena never gets talked about here, but many people including me who cringe at it wonder how much bias Dennis Hopeless has about the Runaways, given the rampant character assassination.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

bobkatt013 posted:

So he hated a character that was created during 52? I am also pretty sure that Geoff Johns was the writer for that section. He was also only the artist for Countdown. He did however kill him in Legion of Superheroes 4

http://www.comicmix.com/2008/03/31/interview-keith-giffen-on-the-final-weeks-of-countdown-to-final-crisis/

Here's an interview where he talks about how much he hated Karate Kid and wanted to hurt him.

The stuff about Osiris comes up in the 52 Trade Paper Backs.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

So Batgirl: Future's End comes out tomorrow, with Barbara hooked on Venom as Bete Noire (The Black Beast). She also has three Batgirl agents who call themselves the League of Batgirls. There's some speculation that the three are Stephanie, Cass, and Nell Little. DC better not use this as an excuse to say "hey, we cared about her all along, you were just impatient!" Ugh.

If Geoff Johns can have MY GREEN LANTERN and MY FLASH, I can have MY BATGIRL, dammit.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Solaris Knight posted:

IId definitely say one of the most interesting aspects of the current entertainment industry is how biased it really is, with one of my worst fears is how One More Day came around because Quesada wanted a Peter Parker he could live vicariously through, who was younger, fitter, and singl'e. Avengers Arena never gets talked about here, but many people including me who cringe at it wonder how much bias Dennis Hopeless has about the Runaways, given the rampant character assassination.

Not in this thread but Avengers Arena did get it's own thread, it just died a quick death because everybody dropped the book. Hopeless also did the whole you are the real monsters audience for wanting to read this, which was funny considering the numbers for the book were in free fall.

Barbra coming back was pure and admitted favoritism, the other Batgirls getting jettisoned probably had nothing to do with the characters and everything to do with that favoritisim.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

hiddenriverninja posted:

So Batgirl: Future's End comes out tomorrow, with Barbara hooked on Venom as Bete Noire (The Black Beast). She also has three Batgirl agents who call themselves the League of Batgirls. There's some speculation that the three are Stephanie, Cass, and Nell Little. DC better not use this as an excuse to say "hey, we cared about her all along, you were just impatient!" Ugh.

If Geoff Johns can have MY GREEN LANTERN and MY FLASH, I can have MY BATGIRL, dammit.

This is from the preview:

See if you can find CC there.

Also, I wonder if Forerunner has any fans out there.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
No see it's Cass Cain because yellow bat and black hair!

Also I don't get people's demand for Nell Little. She was a very minor side character in Stephanie's Batgirl run and was about as young as Damian. Then we get a page that's part of Stephanie speculating about the future and one of them has Stephanie as Nightwing and Nell (supposedly) as Batgirl drawn very far into the background. That's literally all there is, not even a line or a scene of her fighting. It's genuinely confusing.

I'm also biased though because people call her the first black Batgirl, even though Annie Wu and Scott Peterson created Nissa for the Batman Beyond comics and actually show her talking and fighting in the role alongside an older Barbara Gordon. Yet people don't seem to care nearly as much about that because it's not mainstream DC.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Are there any Nightwing runs worth reading? I really enjoyed Dick as Batman while Bruce was on time travel sabbatical so4 I'm curious to see if what I enjoyed comes across under his own identity.

I enjoyed Gates of Gotham, and saw that the same writer was on Nightwing when New 52 launched, so I was thinking about maybe checking that run out.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I'm liking his current spy series, Grayson if that counts.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Teenage Fansub posted:

I'm liking his current spy series, Grayson if that counts.

Yeah, I'm trade waiting it. I personally prefer reading completed arcs to going month to month.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

Are there any Nightwing runs worth reading? I really enjoyed Dick as Batman while Bruce was on time travel sabbatical so4 I'm curious to see if what I enjoyed comes across under his own identity.

I enjoyed Gates of Gotham, and saw that the same writer was on Nightwing when New 52 launched, so I was thinking about maybe checking that run out.
Unfortunately I don't think anything Nightwing related from his original series is in print anymore. If you're willing to shell out big bucks, he has a pretty prominent role in the Bruce Wayne Murderer/Fugitive storyarc that got reprinted in new large collected trades recently.

Or if you're up to waiting until early December, DC is going to be reprinting the first eight issues of his original 90s run and the four issue mini-series that led up to it. It'll be a new trade so the printing will be a lot nicer too. As far as the Higgins run goes I heard a lot of mix reviews on it. Some people really enjoyed it, others didn't. The writer is a big fan of the character though so I think he puts a lot of good energy into his writing with that in mind.

lotus circle fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Sep 10, 2014

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Madkal posted:

This is from the preview:

See if you can find CC there.

Also, I wonder if Forerunner has any fans out there.

Just read the full Batgirl issue, it's pretty good.

It's as outlined. Barbara husband dies and she spends years infiltrating the underworld destroying them from within. The last challenge is Bane and she had to follow his path, including getting on Venom.
In their final fight Bane makes her realize her path is one of suicide but she decides to live.
The funniest part is where she reveals that she never used Venom to become so muscled.
It just reminded me of Mr. Burns "all this time I was injecting harmless anabolic steroids! "

Oh and the Batgirl are Stephanie, Cassandra (no last name given, but clearly her) and Tiffany Fox, presumably Luicis Fox daughter.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

You really can't go wrong with Chuck Dixon's run. At one point, Dick joins the Bludhaven police force as a rookie cop, and that's all good stuff. Sort-of-most-of-it was collected in old, out-of-print trades, but as lotus circle says, there's a new trade coming out soon that I would definitely go for. Devin Grayson took over the title afterwards (somewhere in the 60s) and you should not read any of hers.

Alternate option: The Batman Adventures: The Lost Years 1-5, which tell the story of the transition from Dick as Robin to Nightwing in the Animated universe.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Sep 10, 2014

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

Someone's in luck for a collected Dixon run of Nightwing.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.

The Question IRL posted:

Just read the full Batgirl issue, it's pretty good.

I couldn't care less about the "Babs as Bane-girl" stuff, but this is what we should have had all along: a team of everyone's favorite Batgirls instead of shoving everyone that wasn't Babs onto a bus with the New 52.

Now that we've established that Cass exists in some form in the New 52 universe, can she please show up in a book that doesn't take place in a horrible future that will never come to pass?

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Darth Nat posted:

I couldn't care less about the "Babs as Bane-girl" stuff, but this is what we should have had all along: a team of everyone's favorite Batgirls instead of shoving everyone that wasn't Babs onto a bus with the New 52.

SirDan3k posted:

Barbra coming back was pure and admitted favoritism, the other Batgirls getting jettisoned probably had nothing to do with the characters and everything to do with that favoritisim.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

What was the name of the teen-aged freckled redhead with a Batgirl hood and teleportation powers that Gail Simone created - was she ever called "Batgirl"?

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

anti_strunt posted:

What was the name of the teen-aged freckled redhead with a Batgirl hood and teleportation powers that Gail Simone created - was she ever called "Batgirl"?

Charlotte Gage-Radcliffe aka Misfit

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Snyder's been posting Endgame teases.

Greg Capullo is pretty good, guys.

Also Gotham Academy

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Is that Professor Milo? Book of the year.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

anti_strunt posted:

No, it was Misfit.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I'm reading Zero Year now, and it's really bizarre how much I love Red Hood One after really disliking Joker in Death of the Family.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

Madkal posted:

Someone's in luck for a collected Dixon run of Nightwing.

Which is awesome, and the loving antithesis of where the character is going now.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Was Taters posted:

Which is awesome, and the loving antithesis of where the character is going now.

You know, I have never read Dixon's Nightwing but I'm hoping this will lead to his Robin run being collected.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Madkal posted:

You know, I have never read Dixon's Nightwing but I'm hoping this will lead to his Robin run being collected.
God, I hope it gets collected in books longer than ~6 issues per trade if that ever happens. 100+ issues is gonna take awhile!

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Is there any kind of nice Omnibus editions of all of Morrison's Batman, that isn't absolutes? I'd love RIP and Return in a single book and the full run of Batman and Robin in one book as well. Do I just have to buy the individual softcovers?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

mango sentinel posted:

Is there any kind of nice Omnibus editions of all of Morrison's Batman, that isn't absolutes? I'd love RIP and Return in a single book and the full run of Batman and Robin in one book as well. Do I just have to buy the individual softcovers?

There isn't one at the moment, and I don't think they've announced one either.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I estimated the total GMoBatSaga page count once Inc Vol2 was done and it was well over 2000. I'd love to see that in a single volume just for novelty.

e: Actually it's more like 1750 pages. The Invisibles Omni is 1500. They could do it!

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Sep 15, 2014

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

mango sentinel posted:

Nope. They did release the OSHC of the first two original collections together, though.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Teenage Fansub posted:

I estimated the total GMoBatSaga page count once Inc Vol2 was done and it was well over 2000. I'd love to see that in a single volume just for novelty.

Yeah, it's something like 75 issues worth between the three main runs . It divides up really naturally though: pre-Crisis, B&R+Return of Bruce Wayne, and Incorporated.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

10 page new Batgirl preview.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/09/15/your-ten-page-preview-of-the-new-look-yellow-dr-martened-batgirl-35/

Have fun. I'm gonna hold off till the issue.

e: Uh oh.

The Action Man posted:

Cameron Stewart is very upset about this apparently, so this is probably no where near the final version.

If it's a preview for retailers it can't be too far off.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Sep 15, 2014

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.

Cameron Stewart is very upset about this apparently, so this is probably no where near the final version.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Bleedingcool does it again!

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
After all this time, I completely missed that CS isn't actually doing the final art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
That art style is unique, and I'd probably read it for that reason alone. It's not the final art? Is it gonna be replaced by the DC house style?

• Locked thread