Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

New Code Orange album is pretty heavy, you guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
This week's metalsucks podcast has a pretty good interview with one of the members of Darkest Hour. Good talk on changing things up a bit, new members and producer etc.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

New album sucks lol who gives a poo poo what they have to say about it

the dad farm
Dec 6, 2005

ShoogaSlim posted:

yup this

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!

XIII posted:

So, I guess I'm a bad person, but I'm on board with the new Darkest Hour. That might just be because I'm pretty much on board with anything Travis Orbin is a part of. Dude is a killer drummer.

Other than some of the singing, I don't think it sounds all that different. It took me a couple of listens but now I like it quite a bit. I think "Infinite Eyes" was my favorite.

ShoogaSlim posted:

Whoops, I didn't see this before I posted. I guess I stand corrected!

krustster fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Aug 31, 2014

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Yeah, Infinite Eyes is my favorite also. I also agree that besides "more singing", it's not really a big difference from their previous stuff.

It's not like they went and pulled an Opeth :v:

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SMtltcXJ-k
cilice is pretty cool

the dad farm
Dec 6, 2005

i can't stop listening to Confession's new album, Crafter sounds awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tWiI8YONIow

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
gently caress man, Chimaira really has become a revolving door:

http://www.theprp.com/2014/09/01/news/guitarist-emil-werstler-exits-chimaira/

Guitarist Emil Werstler left the band. Doesn't really cite a reason why...but I have a feeling that maybe Mark Hunter isn't the easiest person to work with?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Lmao the rest of the band just left Chimaira also. Hahah holy poo poo, Mark Hunter must be terrible to be in a band with?

http://www.theprp.com/2014/09/02/exclusive/chimaira-guitarist-bassist-keyboardist-drummer-announce-their-departure/

I pretty much like everything Chimaira has done, even with all of their different lineups and poo poo.

E: Chimaira is officially dead :(

http://www.theprp.com/2014/09/04/news/mark-hunter-officially-lays-chimaira-to-rest/

chocolateTHUNDER fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Sep 4, 2014

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Chimaria has always sucked

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

ShoogaSlim posted:

Chimaria has always sucked

:siren: wrong opinion detected :siren:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
This is the first time I've ever seen positive thoughts on Chimaira.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Henchman of Santa posted:

This is the first time I've ever seen positive thoughts on Chimaira.

Emil Werstler is a sick guitarist and Rob Arnold had a really cool signature guitar when he was in the band.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

This thread has been dragging rear end for a while now. Anyone care to chime in on what they think is the best album to come out this year so far?

It may not be entirely thread appropriate but for me it's gotta be Young and in the Way - When Life Comes to Death. I've been listening to that poo poo consistently since it dropped and I never get tired of it.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
In general, Swans - To Be Kind.
That fits here, either the new Code Orange if that counts or the new Every Time I Die.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

ShoogaSlim posted:

This thread has been dragging rear end for a while now. Anyone care to chime in on what they think is the best album to come out this year so far?

It may not be entirely thread appropriate but for me it's gotta be Young and in the Way - When Life Comes to Death. I've been listening to that poo poo consistently since it dropped and I never get tired of it.

I've really been digging Architects album that came out earlier this year.

I'm also waiting on the new Unearth though...

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Code Orange rules but it feels like a one trick pony. I like it enough and have been listening to it a ton, and will surely listen to it when I want to hear an album full of breakdowns, but there are plenty of faults with the album overall. Every Time I Die put out one of their best albums this year, if not the best overall.

I'm highly anticipating the new Contortionist album. I'm blown away by the direction they've taken and I can't get enough of the few tracks that are available. That's a big contender in my eyes.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Some top picks for me have been Every Time I Die, Vanna, and Architects.

They don't exactly fit in here (at least anymore), but I really, really like the new He Is Legend album.

And, finally, has anyone else checked out Josh Scoggins' latest band, '68? I'd say it fits in here pretty well. They released an LP this year that I'd easily put in my Top 10 of 2014 (they also released an EP last year that's worth it).

EDIT: Also, the new Within The Ruins is good if you like Within The Ruins and the new killwhitneydead is okay.

XIII fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Sep 6, 2014

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I don't really care for The Chariot but '68 are really cool. I'm interested to see what that band does because about half of that album is awesome and half is just alright.

Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

ShoogaSlim posted:

I'm curious to see what people say on this. I was really, really into this stuff towards the end of high school and into college. I got my hands in the last Refused album and for my roommates and I it was a hardcore extravaganza. there was Norma Jean, Poison the Well, Every Time I Die, The Bled, From Autumn to Ashes and the like. I spent a year at the campus radio station as the "hard rock" music director talking with reps from all these labels and playing this stuff on air in 2004. I starting pulling those albums out again and looking up the bands to find most of the ones I knew have disbanded. I have been scrolling through the thread finding more current stuff to sink my teeth into, but it can be tricky finding a place to start.

I really dig the latest Vanna album. I've been listening to that nonstop this week.

Otherwise the most recent stuff I've heard are Norma Jean's Wrongdoers (which is good but doesn't grab me like oh god the aftermath did) and I found the last bring me the horizon album, which I grabbed knowing nothing about them. It might not be well loved here, but it is really catchy at times, and it's a million times better then that super glam Ronnie radke poo poo that keeps popping up on as suggested viewing on YouTube, or that band with the dude that looks like a goblin but he struts around like people find hi attractive, and people keep inviting him to be in their videos for some reason.

As someone who has been "away" for ten years, what are the big ones I've missed out on? Or, what would your essential "mixtape" consist of?

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

ShoogaSlim posted:

new Gridlink, have listened to it so many times

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Roydrowsy posted:

As someone who has been "away" for ten years, what are the big ones I've missed out on? Or, what would your essential "mixtape" consist of?

It's hard to say what you've missed out on over such a long period of time. Big bands for me are Acacia Strain and Every Time I Die who have been putting out solid albums consistently. Recently there's been a big uprising of bands like Memphis May Fire and Of Mice and Men. Ymmv on bands like that, I know they're "metalcore" but I wouldn't necessarily lump them into the same category as the bands I was listening to 10 years ago. Unearth, As I Lay Dying, It Dies Today, and Prayer for Cleansing were all influenced by something very different than whatever the bands today are influenced by. It's actually interesting to me and I wish I could pinpoint it better. I imagine melodic death metal was a big influence to older bands; stuff like At The Gates, In Flames, and such. Some of today's bands feel more influenced by dubstep and pop punk or some poo poo, which is sad.

If you're looking for a decent collection of older songs I actually threw together a playlist on Spotify of metal and hardcore from 2000-2005. I've shared it in the thread before but might as well throw it out there again for anyone interested. Lots of good stuff.

http://open.spotify.com/user/wxc666/playlist/1bh72Qd7B2hktqJc21KueY

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Roydrowsy posted:

I'm curious to see what people say on this. I was really, really into this stuff towards the end of high school and into college. I got my hands in the last Refused album and for my roommates and I it was a hardcore extravaganza. there was Norma Jean, Poison the Well, Every Time I Die, The Bled, From Autumn to Ashes and the like. I spent a year at the campus radio station as the "hard rock" music director talking with reps from all these labels and playing this stuff on air in 2004. I starting pulling those albums out again and looking up the bands to find most of the ones I knew have disbanded. I have been scrolling through the thread finding more current stuff to sink my teeth into, but it can be tricky finding a place to start.

I really dig the latest Vanna album. I've been listening to that nonstop this week.

Otherwise the most recent stuff I've heard are Norma Jean's Wrongdoers (which is good but doesn't grab me like oh god the aftermath did) and I found the last bring me the horizon album, which I grabbed knowing nothing about them. It might not be well loved here, but it is really catchy at times, and it's a million times better then that super glam Ronnie radke poo poo that keeps popping up on as suggested viewing on YouTube, or that band with the dude that looks like a goblin but he struts around like people find hi attractive, and people keep inviting him to be in their videos for some reason.

Out of the game for 10 years huh? This is a bit of a tricky one. 2002-2008 is pretty much considered the "golden age" for metalcore in this thread. Around 2008 is when a lot of the melo-death gothenburg type -core bands fell out of "vougue" and gave way to more electronic influenced and bands. Doesn't mean there aren't a poo poo ton of good bands out there right now, just that they aren't a dime a dozen anymore like in 2004

Anyway, check out the new Architects album that came out earlier this year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MHTy_dcSKE

It leans a bit more towards the hardcore side of things, which seems to be what you're into.

Parkway Drive is pretty drat good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7lpftvYDMA

Chimaira was technically around before you dipped out of the game, but their best work came after you did IMO:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfwm1Z8gEYw

Some All Shall Perish is always good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52HjWhUWwwM

The Black Dahlia Murder is a -core band with some light black metal influences. They're pretty great IMO:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4kCyXLwhN0

Here's a little side project that two fairly popular band vocalists did that I liked, again more on the hardcore side of things which you might like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQH1_e5KuZQ

ShoogaSlim posted:

If you're looking for a decent collection of older songs I actually threw together a playlist on Spotify of metal and hardcore from 2000-2005. I've shared it in the thread before but might as well throw it out there again for anyone interested. Lots of good stuff.

http://open.spotify.com/user/wxc666/playlist/1bh72Qd7B2hktqJc21KueY

Thanks for this, already discovered some good poo poo. That band Anterrabae is pretty badass.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Roydrowsy posted:

I don't like the majority of stuff that gets brought up frequently in this topic (e.g. The Acacia Strain and their ilk; the melodeathy bands referred to in the post above), but since you like Refused and Every Time I Die we probably have some common ground in taste. These are some of my favorite metalcore/metallic hardcore/whatever albums of the past decade:

Converge - All We Love We Leave Behind
Every Time I Die - New Junk Aesthetic
The Dillinger Escape Plan - One of Us is the Killer
Between the Buried and Me - Alaska
Gaza - He is Never Coming Back
Glass Casket - We Are Gathered Here Today...
Shai Hulud - Reach Beyond the Sun
Code Orange Kids - Love is Love // Return to Dust
Full of Hell - Rudiments of Mutilation
Oathbreaker Eros|Anteros
Palm Reader - Bad Weather

the dad farm
Dec 6, 2005

Ooo Anterrabae is pretty awesome!

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Thanks for this, already discovered some good poo poo. That band Anterrabae is pretty badass.

the dad farm posted:

Ooo Anterrabae is pretty awesome!

Anterrabae just played a 10yr reunion show in Long Island a few months ago and it was pretty great. That band played with If Hope Dies (another amazing band) and Unearth at a video shoot around a decade ago and that was one of the best shows I've ever been to.

Henchman of Santa posted:

Every Time I Die - New Junk Aesthetic
Gaza - He is Never Coming Back
Shai Hulud - Reach Beyond the Sun
Code Orange Kids - Love is Love // Return to Dust
Full of Hell - Rudiments of Mutilation

Based on this list I would say check out:

New ETID
Cult Leader (same band as Gaza with a swapped singer)
The newest Shai Hulud which is an incredible album, called Reach Beyond the Sun
Code Orange dropped the "Kids" from their name and just last week put out a really heavy album called I Am King
Check out the latest Antichrist Demoncore self titled album if you dig that grind stuff.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Uh, are you talking to me or the guy who asked for recommendations?

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

whoops

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
I actually started listening to Poison the Well because of that Spotify playlist. I don't know what I thought they were before, but they're definitely a lot more melodic than I had anticipated. I guess I was expecting a more chaotic hardcore approach.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

New track from The Ghost Inside

http://youtu.be/cASpchz2npg

Didn't even know they had anything coming out, so this is a good day.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I actually started listening to Poison the Well because of that Spotify playlist. I don't know what I thought they were before, but they're definitely a lot more melodic than I had anticipated. I guess I was expecting a more chaotic hardcore approach.

I'm stoked you're discovering some awesome older stuff from my list, dude! I was hanging with a friend one night listening to all the poo poo we used to off of my iTunes. I created a smart playlist of all the songs I had from 00-05 and figured other people might dig it so I created the Spotify list. I think I cheated and included some 99 and 06 stuff as well.

edit: The Ghost Inside is such a loving terrible generic boring snoozecore band.

ShoogaSlim fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Sep 8, 2014

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010
The Ghost Inside and I Killed The Prom Queen are coming to my city later this month. Tickets are pretty expensive but surely it would be worth it?

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

Auditore posted:

The Ghost Inside and I Killed The Prom Queen are coming to my city later this month. Tickets are pretty expensive but surely it would be worth it?

I saw TGI on warped tour and they were awesome, crowd was super pumped and got rowdy.

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010

crondaily posted:

I saw TGI on warped tour and they were awesome, crowd was super pumped and got rowdy.

Awesome. It's all-ages, so might be a lot of kids there.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Despite the fact that I hate TGI they perform well live.

Also the new Contortionist leaked and it's incredible.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

XIII posted:

New track from The Ghost Inside

http://youtu.be/cASpchz2npg

Didn't even know they had anything coming out, so this is a good day.

Not mind blowing, but I'm still incredibly stoked for their new album.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
New Unearth song, gently caress yes:

http://www.revolvermag.com/news/unearth-premiere-new-song-the-swarm.html

Definitely looking forward to their new album.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
ETID, TGI, Architects, Hundredth, Backtrack tour. 32 dates:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BxGR5cACEAAjBu-.jpg:large

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the dad farm
Dec 6, 2005

Eight Is Legend posted:

Not mind blowing, but I'm still incredibly stoked for their new album.

the beginning of that song is the same, or drat close, to suicide seasons from BMTH