Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

WilliamAnderson posted:

##Vote Junonians

Traitors of the revolution, all of you Capitolinos.

The people themselves have chosen the Capitolinos to lead the nation from the Golden Horn, who are we to disagree with the people?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
They might have chosen a capitalino president, but the assembly is going due Julian.

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012

##Vote Julians

Semquais
Dec 5, 2013

##Vote Julians

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

##Vote Junonians

Free of the Emperors and Empresses, but that is not enough!

There is so much more to be liberated! We have made the state more free, but what we need is to be free from the state!

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

WilliamAnderson posted:

##Vote Junonians

Traitors of the revolution, all of you Capitolinos.

The Empire proved itself incompetent, but the Republic has yet to prove itself competent. I see no reason why anyone should pledge their loyalty to the revolution when it has yet to bear any fruit by which we may judge it. The only loyalty one needs to pledge now is loyalty to Rome.

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010

##Vote Junonians

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
##Vote the Capitolino

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

##Vote Junonians

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Having FINALLY caught up with this masterpiece I suppose there's nothing left for me to do but:

##Vote Julians

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle

Rincewind posted:

The mothballed navy was all heavy ships (that fleet in the screenshot was what's left-- I just hit the split button and disbanded half of it and prayed it made our balance positive again.)

The president, archons, and national assembly are all "directly" elected, but the old Spirit of Athens Act literacy requirement is still in place, so it's a.) biased towards wealthier voters who are more likely to be literate, and b.) susceptible to the manipulation of the definition of "literacy" by the archons.

Yeah, I agree with mothballing the heavy ships. Though saving Malta would have been cheap. 10 transports only come out to about 5.8 ducats per year in maintenance (and that may be without maritime).

##Vote the Capitolino (Conservative)

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Sep 9, 2014

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

:3
Man, I forgot Malta was even part of our country. And it being a monastic order in the 1800s is kinda metal.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004
##Vote Capitolino and give our new President the backing of the assembly that she needs

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

##Vote Junonians

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle

Erwin the German posted:

Man, I forgot Malta was even part of our country. And it being a monastic order in the 1800s is kinda metal.

The real Knights Hospitalers survived as a state until the Grand Master went full chickenshit and let Napoleon into his fortified harbor (not that he couldn't have forced his way in, but he might've figured it not worth it).
At least they found a good home in Russia and rebuilt their finances and expanded internationally before the Communist Revolution hit. They do medical services these days.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Erwin the German posted:

Yeah. As a player, I was pretty annoyed to see a revolt on an island province (even if we'd had transports, it would have tied up a whole army sieging it down for months), but as an LPer I think seeing the Knights of Malta come back is pretty cool.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.

##Vote Junonians (Liberal)

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

Assuming you're taking questions, I gotta ask; did you allow the revolts that led to the Republic spiral like they did intentionally, along with the financial meltdown? I'd figure so for the sake of narrative, but I figure it's worth asking. If not, then I suppose poor playing doesn't always have to result in a horrible deluge of territorial loss. :v:

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle

Rincewind posted:

Yeah. As a player, I was pretty annoyed to see a revolt on an island province (even if we'd had transports, it would have tied up a whole army sieging it down for months), but as an LPer I think seeing the Knights of Malta come back is pretty cool.

One can kill the army and leave a small siege force though, or accept autonomy.
But yeah, the Knights Hospitalers is probably worth it. :)

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Erwin the German posted:

Assuming you're taking questions, I gotta ask; did you allow the revolts that led to the Republic spiral like they did intentionally, along with the financial meltdown? I'd figure so for the sake of narrative, but I figure it's worth asking. If not, then I suppose poor playing doesn't always have to result in a horrible deluge of territorial loss. :v:

I was playing slightly sloppily (well, by my standards, which would be "extremely sloppily" by somebody who's actually good at EU4 standards) since I was hoping something interesting happened in the endgame, but I wasn't expecting a stack of revolutionaries (eventually) larger than our entire army to appear in the middle of a war with Da Qin and Ming.

I was delighted when one did, naturally.

(And it actually helped us in game, too-- we wouldn't have gotten out of that Da Qin/Ming war with a white peace if we hadn't gotten the rebels as part of our army after they flipped the government.)

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Readingaccount posted:

One can kill the army and leave a small siege force though,

Only if you like having chunks of your army killed because rebels popped on top of them.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
My favorite part of the map is Japan turning into a dalmation. :3:

##Vote Junonians

Long live the revolution!

Sindai fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Sep 9, 2014

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

YF-23 posted:

Only if you like having chunks of your army killed because rebels popped on top of them.

Which happened a few times in Sicily, although that was way less annoying than it would have been in Malta since I could just walk my whole army back there, and also we were mostly out of the woods by that point so losing a 4 stack wasn't a big deal anymore.

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

Rincewind posted:

(And it actually helped us in game, too-- we wouldn't have gotten out of that Da Qin/Ming war with a white peace if we hadn't gotten the rebels as part of our army after they flipped the government.)

Did they? Jeez, that's a point in favor of letting revolutions occur if I ever heard one. Probably not really good for the whole stability thing, though...

Might also explain the poor finances, though; you might have been way over your force limits. Not that we didn't need the forces, but yeah.

At any rate, it's cool to hear it wasn't entirely planned. Emergent stories and all that.

^^^
Edit: Besides the point at this stage of the game, but losing even a 4 stack is still losing 4k manpower. Which, at that point, I'm assuming you were fairly low on. :v:

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

##Vote Junonians

There will be a day for moderation, a day for even conservatism-- but today is not that day. The seven hills remain full of monarchists, aristocrats, and others who dream of things returning to the old way-- who would see crowns upon men's heads. Some of them even dwell in the Capitolinos, let's be honest.

The spirit of revolution cannot give even an inch until they are all gone-- our war is not over.

Ogianres
Oct 21, 2008

##Vote Junonians

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Adept Nightingale posted:

##Vote Junonians

There will be a day for moderation, a day for even conservatism-- but today is not that day. The seven hills remain full of monarchists, aristocrats, and others who dream of things returning to the old way-- who would see crowns upon men's heads. Some of them even dwell in the Capitolinos, let's be honest.

The spirit of revolution cannot give even an inch until they are all gone-- our war is not over.

I will note that the people elected one of the Capitolinos you so fear...do you think your radical zeal may not be unsupported?

The time for radical revolution passed long ago.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

##Vote Junonians

Burn what remains of Empire to ash.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

sniper4625 posted:

I will note that the people elected one of the Capitolinos you so fear...do you think your radical zeal may not be unsupported?

The time for radical revolution passed long ago.

This makes me wonder what our participation here "represents" in terms of how membership in the assembly is chosen. Is it separate from a (semi-)popular vote that elects the president, limited to a smaller number of electors (represented by thread participants)? If our actions also represent the popular will to some extent, are presidential and assembly elections staggered? This last possibility makes the most sense to me. In this case a Capitolino president was elected maybe two years before or after this vote, in which case the popular mood has shifted (i.e., conservatively if we are choosing the party in power he finds on election, liberally if we are choosing the party voted into power in the next election after his).

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

GunnerJ posted:

This makes me wonder what our participation here "represents" in terms of how membership in the assembly is chosen. Is it separate from a (semi-)popular vote that elects the president, limited to a smaller number of electors (represented by thread participants)? If our actions also represent the popular will to some extent, are presidential and assembly elections staggered? This last possibility makes the most sense to me. In this case a Capitolino president was elected maybe two years before or after this vote, in which case the popular mood has shifted (i.e., conservatively if we are choosing the party in power he finds on election, liberally if we are choosing the party voted into power in the next election after his).

If we have a Capitolino president but a (something else) assembly, maybe the latter party is over all more popular, but the presidential candidate for that party was not very popular or something. :shrug: Or the Junonian and Julians split the vote in the presidential arena and first past the post kicked in.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

GSD posted:

If we have a Capitolino president but a (something else) assembly, maybe the latter party is over all more popular, but the presidential candidate for that party was not very popular or something. :shrug: Or the Junonian and Julians split the vote in the presidential arena and first past the post kicked in.

Yeah, the Presidential election is first past the post and the Junonians and Julians hate one another. They hate the Capitolino as well, but there's less ideological overlap.

EDIT:

GunnerJ posted:

This vote represents the popular vote for the election of the National Assembly, which is a bit different and a bit more abstract than past one-poster, one-senator votes. In Victoria 2, the game does these votes for you based on what your POPs think, but since it's been a while since we've had a vote on anything I thought I'd let the goons be the ~*~*~voice of the people~*~*~ in this, the twilight of the EU4 era.

Empress Theonora fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Sep 9, 2014

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

##Vote Junonians

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat

##Vote Julian

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

##Vote the Capitolino

Viva Italia!

Chwoka
Jan 27, 2008

I'm Abed, and I never watch TV.

##vote junonians, not like it needs another vote at this point. ha!

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

##Vote Julians.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

##Vote Junonians

Why settle for less?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

##Vote Junonians

Let's keep this equality train rolling.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
##Vote Discordians

Roll on the counterrevolution and restoration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

##Vote Junonians

• Locked thread