Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I do believe that we have been taken for fools... Bravo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

Old Fart posted:

Sure, or live in a group house. If you want your living dollar to go farther and want more money for travel and savings, then there are some great places to live. All these old 3-story houses and flats with far more actual living area than you can afford on your own. I lived in a place in Temescal that had an entire mother-in-law unit in the back that nobody else in the house wanted to use. Turned it into a lounge/mancave/gameroom, had a blast. My bedroom in the main house was kinda lovely, but I mostly just used it for sleeping because I had such flexibility to be able to go out and travel, and most of my at-home leisure time was spent in the yard or out in the party shack. Didn't have to worry about leaving pets home alone, either. I paid $550, all utilities (and internet) included.

You gotta be patient and find the right fit, but I've seen plenty of really great places, if you're willing to be flexible with your perspective on things like how many people need to own dishwashers by themselves, or if you really need exclusive access to a bathroom 24/7. There were eight of us in that house and we were very rarely in each others' way because collectively we could get more than anybody could by themselves.

Edit: bad with money is me, because despite living in this awesome place, I still managed to get fired from flexible good-paying dream jobs TWICE and eventually couldn't pay rent.

Right, I'm on board with you. I own a townhouse and I'm currently renting out my other two bedrooms. Right now my total cost of living in this place is about $700. That includes everything from mortgage to utilities to insurance.

Hoping to rent out my first floor rec room for $650~ (private entrance, bathroom) once I do a small renovation to it. Living for $50 a month will be nice.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

pathetic little tramp posted:

So I checked my checking account and when I expected to see around 2500 I saw around 760,000! I know it was a mistake. But I transferred 20,000 to an external account that isnt the same institution. If they fix the error but don't do anything about the 20,000, am I ok?

Edit location? Usa...
They will take the money back, even if it means overdrawing your account. I would highly recommend moving it back.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

An unscrupulous person might flee the country. Not suggesting you actually do this (don't) but hypothetically what recourse would thr bank have?

Something remarkably similar to this has happened before. A couple who ran a service station in New Zealand discovered $8 million in their account and fled the country. I believe they have been apprehended, but just goes to show - this can and does happen, although most people are too sensible/honest to take the money and run.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
I would do it

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

froglet posted:

Something remarkably similar to this has happened before. A couple who ran a service station in New Zealand discovered $8 million in their account and fled the country. I believe they have been apprehended, but just goes to show - this can and does happen, although most people are too sensible/honest to take the money and run.

This happened to a guy I worked with. Instead of returning $3200 to his account (his card was stolen and the charge was fraudulent) the bank returned $320,000. He called the bank and it was down to the right amount within a few hours, I'm surprised it took that long.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

BioEnchanted posted:

I do believe that we have been taken for fools... Bravo.

It was such an unbelievably dumb thing I figured it needed something more than the usual quote and link. This thread has very little faith in me.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

It was such an unbelievably dumb thing I figured it needed something more than the usual quote and link. This thread has very little faith in me.

You need to stop posting, shred all forms of ID, smash your cellphone, and buy a one way ticket to mexico.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

froglet posted:

The wife got shafted and returned to NZ. Later the Chinese Police had tracked down the husband and he was sent back to NZ. They were both found guilty and had to give all the money back, which was an issue because some of the money had already been spent.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Devian666 posted:

The wife got shafted and returned to NZ. Later the Chinese Police had tracked down the husband and he was sent back to NZ. They were both found guilty and had to give all the money back, which was an issue because some of the money had already been spent.

Look, Mr. Samsonite, Harry and I have every intention of paying you back.

SpelledBackwards fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Sep 7, 2014

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
Withdraw the cash and put it in your safety deposit box, then wait for the bank to ask for it back

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

I wonder what laws apply to electronic transfers...

Powerlurker
Oct 21, 2010

Jeffrey posted:

I would consider it, though I'd rather do 40 hours a week for half the year.

10 hours a day twice a week would be pretty good too though. 4 hours a week for 5 days a week doesn't seem worth it.

Work in the energy industry and you can pretty much do this, except replace the "half pay" with "bonus for working overseas/on an oil platfom/on the North Slope of Alaska". One of my Chem.E friends spent a few years working one month on/one month off in Kazakhstan where he got paid a bonus for the time he was out of the US, his company paid for his apartment while he was on site and he got every other month off.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Powerlurker posted:

Work in the energy industry and you can pretty much do this, except replace the "half pay" with "bonus for working overseas/on an oil platfom/on the North Slope of Alaska". One of my Chem.E friends spent a few years working one month on/one month off in Kazakhstan where he got paid a bonus for the time he was out of the US, his company paid for his apartment while he was on site and he got every other month off.

I've done something similar when I was working on cargo ships. Food, board and laundry while you're onboard (Quality of all three to vary wildly from lovely to very lovely), great money... But no vacation. You actually had to get laid off to get time off - any time off. Weekend, sick days, gently caress no. You got a minimum of eight hours "off" every day, but you weren't leaving the boat, except on the rare occasion you got time off in port, in which case you'd make a dash to Wal Mart and maybe a bar.

So in theory I could have made $110 000 a year if I'd worked all that was available. I was pretty happy with 60 - 70k, and five to six months off. It's me, I'm bad with money.

Back on topic, I'd like to nominate whoever buys this as the subject of this thread.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Good with money (?) : If you have a savings account under the same bank, put it in there, and hope they forget to take the interest back when they correct the error.

Although a couple weeks interest on 760k isn't really much to get excited about these days.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
Yeah I was doing the math on how much I'd need to put into a savings account with 1% interest to get 1,000 a month, it's a little over a million. Back in the 60s, that was an entirely different ballgame.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Yeah I was doing the math on how much I'd need to put into a savings account with 1% interest to get 1,000 a month, it's a little over a million. Back in the 60s, that was an entirely different ballgame.

That $1 mil was worth 6-8 times what it is now, depending on the part of the decade. Now you'd have to be worth at least $6.5 million to have that kind of buying power.

Inflation is terrifying to think about sometimes, is what I'm saying

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
My dad and I were talking about this the other day, I was bitching about the ridiculous state of minimum wage and wage theft and inflation/stagnation of wages vs increased productivity of the American worker. He pointed out that when he started working, min wage was like $1.70 and hour. Six months into his first job he had saved enough to buy a new motorcycle. I can't even comprehend that.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

My dad and I were talking about this the other day, I was bitching about the ridiculous state of minimum wage and wage theft and inflation/stagnation of wages vs increased productivity of the American worker. He pointed out that when he started working, min wage was like $1.70 and hour. Six months into his first job he had saved enough to buy a new motorcycle. I can't even comprehend that.

It gets even more extreme when you talk the super-inflated cost of university tuition.
http://www.theatlantic.com/education/archive/2014/04/the-myth-of-working-your-way-through-college/359735/

In 1979, you could pay for a credit hour of tuition with 8 1/2 hours of work at a minimum wage job.
Today? You're working 60 hours at minimum wage to pay for a single credit hour. That's 48 hours/week while in school to pay for a full time (12 credit hour) workload.
And you'd better be getting your room and board for free too, or else you're going to be working way more than 48 hours/week at your part time job.

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

quote:

I purchased this gym for my son to help him with conditioning for high school baseball. It was used very lightly. It's great for home workouts and comes with the optional leg press. I paid nearly $6,000 for this gym when purchased. I'm asking $2,250 obo.
http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/spo/4658760486.html

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo
I'm disappointed there isn't a picture of the kid.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

canyoneer posted:

It gets even more extreme when you talk the super-inflated cost of university tuition.
http://www.theatlantic.com/education/archive/2014/04/the-myth-of-working-your-way-through-college/359735/

In 1979, you could pay for a credit hour of tuition with 8 1/2 hours of work at a minimum wage job.
Today? You're working 60 hours at minimum wage to pay for a single credit hour. That's 48 hours/week while in school to pay for a full time (12 credit hour) workload.
And you'd better be getting your room and board for free too, or else you're going to be working way more than 48 hours/week at your part time job.

The cost of education is so expensive now. I've pointed out some free education resources to people recently with University of People (free courses but $100 per exam) which is limited to business administration and computer science. Along with edX which doesn't have any accreditation, only issues "certificates" but is free or minimal cost.

The one thing I did like about he University of People courses is they only offer two that are likely to get people jobs, as opposed to other institutions.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
http://investorplace.com/2013/09/report-average-american-in-debt-hundreds-of-thousands/#.VA8xovldVF0

quote:

Report: Average American Is $225,238 in Debt
Many have less than $500 in savings
Sep 11, 2013, 5:17 pm EDT | By Burke Speaker, Investorplace Writer
It appears the economic crash didn’t curtail spending as much as some people would have hoped.

A new report released by the GoBankingRates, which tracks interest and banking rates nationwide, found that the average American is more than $225,000 in debt with many having less than $500 in savings.

The website produced a so-called “average American” — dubbing that person ‘Mary Smith’ — based on people’s earnings, savings, and credit card, student loan, auto loan, and mortgage debt.

“Mary is 37, the current median age of an American. She’s a non-Hispanic White, the largest demographic in the country, and she works in retail sales, the most common occupation in the United States,” GoBankingRates.com editor Jennifer Calonia stated in a press release.

“Until we witness a much more dramatic return to permanent, long-term employment in the private sector, Mary Smith’s dire scenario, which leaves her drowning in debt and without adequate savings, will continue to play out, especially as more companies rely on temporary, low-wage work.”

Average credit card debt among indebted households: $15,263
Average credit card interest rate: 14.95% APR
Average mortgage debt: $147,591
Average outstanding student loan balance: $31,646
Average auto loan debt: $30,738
Only 59 percent of Americans have at least $500 in a savings account saved

More here: http://www.gobankingrates.com/savings-account/average-american-profile-earnings-spending-saving-money-today/

Underemployed is always a lovely situation to be in. Though a car loan (and I say this with complete self-awareness) isn't exactly a necessity; especially at $31k.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I assume those are household numbers and that includes two cars, otherwise it's insane if that is the average.

Folly
May 26, 2010
Those numbers are a little sensationalized. The collateralize debt is a different character of debt than the other debts, because if you did it right then you can sell the collateral and pay off the debt. If you assume that the hypothetical person has 20% equity in both the house and the cars, then you're looking at a net worth of around -$15k for "households with debt." That's not great, but it's pretty far from the numbers they're spouting. Most people aren't "good with money" but they're also not usually stupid.

The $500 emergency fund is the scarier statistic. It drags all of our wages down because so few of us can afford to leave a job.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Knyteguy posted:

Average credit card interest rate: 14.95% APR
Average outstanding student loan balance: $31,646
Average auto loan debt: $30,738
Only 59 percent of Americans have at least $500 in a savings account saved

Jesus Christ, Americans are bad with money. I mean, I knew that already, but holy hell.

However, this is is sneaky stat:

quote:

So that is definitely not the average across all Americans.

And:

quote:

This in and of itself is not that alarming since it is relatively "safe" debt (but debt nonetheless). But if you compound with 30k in student loans, 30k in auto loans, 15k in credit card debt, and no savings greater than $500 then fuuuuuck.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Sep 9, 2014

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
Yeah another thing in that article, they say hardly anyone has 500$ in a savings account. No poo poo. Savings accounts offer such pathetic interest at banks, I know I don't keep anything in mine. There's maybe $5.00 in it just to keep it open. Everyone I know keeps their emergency fund in their cheque book and their "saving" goes into something like a vanguard or their retirement accounts.

I'd say that particular fact is less an indictment on savings habits and more an indictment on savings accounts.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Yeah another thing in that article, they say hardly anyone has 500$ in a savings account. No poo poo. Savings accounts offer such pathetic interest at banks, I know I don't keep anything in mine. There's maybe $5.00 in it just to keep it open. Everyone I know keeps their emergency fund in their cheque book and their "saving" goes into something like a vanguard or their retirement accounts.

I'd say that particular fact is less an indictment on savings habits and more an indictment on savings accounts.

Assuming you're trying to keep your savings/emergency money liquid aside from whatever you put into investments, why keep more than a month's turnover in a checking account at an even lower rate than a savings account would offer?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

SpelledBackwards posted:

Assuming you're trying to keep your savings/emergency money liquid aside from whatever you put into investments, why keep more than a month's turnover in a checking account at an even lower rate than a savings account would offer?

I bill higher for the minutes it takes to move money between accounts than I make in interest on it.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Jeffrey posted:

I bill higher for the minutes it takes to move money between accounts than I make in interest on it.

A lot of people probably are thinking of the days when savings account were 2% interest, and checking was like 0.2% interest. Just checked BOA, and for Checking and Savings under $10,000, you're looking at 0.01%.

Money Market over 100,000 you go all the way up to 0.15%.

Jesus Christ.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Why anyone keeps any significant amount of money with a large retail bank is beyond me.

I keep a couple thousand dollars in my credit union account for paychecks and monthly expenses etc. which earns a bit over 1% on small-ish balances, and then my liquid cash is with CapitalOne 360 that earns 0.75% presently.

Sure, it's not a lot of interest but it earns a combined ~$15/month. Basically free money for 2 minutes of effort a month.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
A lot of people probably intend to pull a SloMo and borrow or withdraw from their retirement if they hit a major crisis.

Folly
May 26, 2010

MrKatharsis posted:

A lot of people probably intend to pull a SloMo and borrow or withdraw from their retirement if they hit a major crisis.

"It's my money anyhow!" Oooh, I have something relevant here. Hopefully I haven't used it before:

In my state, whoever owns the car in January 1 owes the whole registration tax amount for the year. My co-worker bought a brand new truck in December. He said he didn't have the relatively sizeable, like $2k-ish maybe, in any accessible form. So they borrowed from their kid's 529 plan. I think they managed to pay it back by the end of the year, though.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Jeffrey posted:

I know you're exaggerating for effect but that's not really true. I keep about 15-20k in cash for an emergency fund and specific savings goals. In my Ally account at 0.9% that gets me ~$150/yr. Better than letting it stagnate in checking and getting essentially nothing.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Folly posted:

Those numbers are a little sensationalized.

They aren't just sensationalized, they're bullshit. They've cherry picked "averages", choosing between median values and average values when it supports the picture they want to paint, and mash statistics together without context. "Mary"'s situation is bleak because her "average" income is actually 40th percentile, but she bears the debts of far higher earners.

Mary the slightly below average American has a Net Worth around $40,000, with about $3,300 in credit card debt.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Barry posted:

I know you're exaggerating for effect but that's not really true. I keep about 15-20k in cash for an emergency fund and specific savings goals. In my Ally account at 0.9% that gets me ~$150/yr. Better than letting it stagnate in checking and getting essentially nothing.

More like I need a new bank... Last year I made $30, I think the year before that it was $9.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Sep 9, 2014

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
I wonder if we'll ever see decent savings interest rates agai-hahahahahahaha

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

HonorableTB posted:

I wonder if we'll ever see decent savings interest rates agai-hahahahahahaha

It's dependent upon inflation rates, not on banks loving people. High yield savings accounts, at best, keep up with inflation but more typically run just under inflation. Back in 2004-2005, inflation was 4-5% and so it was not hard to find a high yield savings account with a ~4% APY. While nominal returns have decreased, the real return on your money has stayed roughly the same (i.e., slightly negative accounting for inflation). Holding cash, even in a high yield savings account, will always lose out to inflation in the long term.

US Inflation has been 1.5-2% for the past several years, plus we've been climbing out of a recession which introduced additional variability and uncertainty, so it's not surprising that high yield savings accounts plummeted to the 0.7-1.0% APY range. As inflation rises and the economy improves, rates will slowly go up.

But if you're expecting Bank of America or Chase or Wells Fargo to ever offer you more than 0.1% APY on your checking/savings then you're a chump. Large retail banks never have and never will offer competitive interest rates on checking/savings.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Sep 9, 2014

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

Guinness posted:

But if you're expecting Bank of America or Chase or Wells Fargo to ever offer you more than 0.1% APY on your checking/savings then you're a chump. Large retail banks never have and never will offer competitive interest rates on checking/savings.

What motivates Capital360 and all them to offer higher yields, then? My credit union's rates are similarly, laughably low in the BoA/Wells Fargo range (0.10-0.15% on checking, 0.10-0.25% on savings) even though in a lot of ways they're not like the big retail banks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer
Trying to attract customers who are looking for an FDIC-insured place to store medium-large amounts of emergency funds?

My bank is 0.65% checking, 0.7% savings. Adds up to some hundreds of $s per year for me.

http://www.alliantcreditunion.org/services/rates/

• Locked thread