Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

Anarkii posted:

I figure this is the right place to ask. How long does red vermouth keep after opening if you refrigerate it? The answers online vary wildly from a few weeks to a year.

It depends on what you mean by "keep". I've never actually had it become undrinkable, so the year number is probably accurate there, but after a couple weeks you can start to notice some changes in flavor, so if you care about it tasting 100% fresh then the couple weeks is accurate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
For me, the first oxidization notes are usually apparent around 10 days. Hell, I've even grown to enjoy old vermouth, having worked in so many crappy bars that I just rail the decade old martini & rossi as a public service.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Fresh Dolin has completely changed my opinion on vermouth in martinis.

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker
I started using a vacuvin stopper on my fridge vermouth and it keeps for at least a couple months. I no longer pour extra vermouth down the drain in a sad monthly ritual.

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002
It's wine, it goes bad by oxidizing. If you want to extend the shelf life, you can limit its access to oxygen. There are several wine gadgets for this that work by pumping air out of the bottle, etc. They'll be available online or wherever fine hooch is sold.

In Craft Cocktails at Home, Kevin Liu recommends buying the wine preservation kits that essentially spray argon into the bottle. (Argon is heavier than air and inert, so it displaces the oxygen from the wine.) The layer of argon has to be reapplied every time you use the bottle, so he pours his fortified wines into smaller bottles (20 oz plastic soda bottles, looks like) which he treats with argon and uses one at a time. (Presumably he uses a whole bottle before it goes bad and doesn't reapply the argon every time.)

Personally, that sounds like a lot of effort, so I just try to drink lots of vermouth cocktails when I open a bottle. YMMV.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
I've always wondered why they don't offer vermouth in tonic water-sized bottles. I'd probably be willing to pay double by volume if i didn't have to keep buying big bottles and pouring them down the drain after they go bad.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Dolin vermouths are available in 375ml bottles and cost about 50% more by volume, so you're in luck!

Also I've found that the key to a good Old Fashioned is to shake after you add the cherry and orange slice, but before you add the club soda.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
Shake an old fashioned. I loving dare you.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Dolin vermouths are available in 375ml bottles and cost about 50% more by volume, so you're in luck!

Also I've found that the key to a good Old Fashioned is to shake after you add the cherry and orange slice, but before you add the club soda.

Club soda????

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

Orange slice???

edit: shake???

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Hey cocktail thread my Old Fashioned is flat, anyone know what the problem might be?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Shaken old fashioneds?! Club soda? Where the gently caress am I?

It's like I ordered it at a chili's or something.

I wonder if this is how Hemingway feels about frozen daiquiris

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

still too big. also not available in PA.

e: basically what i want is this but with less lovely wine and more awesome vermouth:

quote:

:psyduck:

Mr. Glass fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Sep 6, 2014

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

You could also just drink vermouth as an apertif once a week or so. Chilled dry vermouth with a lemon twist is a lovely pre-dinner drink. So is Italian vermouth with a slice of orange.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

PatMarshall posted:

You could also just drink vermouth as an apertif once a week or so. Chilled dry vermouth with a lemon twist is a lovely pre-dinner drink. So is Italian vermouth with a slice of orange.

A little dry vermouth is fantastic with breakfast but weekday morning drinking is a dark road to start walking down.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
Also totally available in PA, you just have to babe your local state store order it special for you.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Stunning troll.

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Pity this is too long for a thread title.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Just like to give my opinion that Ungava gin should not be used in a Gin & Tonic.
The flavour is just too subtle, and gets blown away.
The overall taste is alright; you're just not going to get anything unique from the gin to come through.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Got my Parisienne shaker today. I'm a cool kid now. just need an hilarious Yarai mixing glass now

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
:siren: I just realized that I now live in a state that wasn't founded by loving Puritains and therefore can buy booze in the mail. :siren:

The rum thread has turned me and my partner into rum snobs, so I have a whole list of bottles I want to pick up, but I also love a good cocktail and am thinking of picking up some of the weirder stuff--Cynar, maybe, and some Dolin vermouth (and, apparently, a vacuvin to preserve it). What else should I get now that the world can be shipped to me?

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Club Soda

Seriously though, if you can find Chairman's Reserve Spiced Rum, pick up a bottle. http://www.saintluciarums.com/chairmans-reserve-spiced.html

Duey
Sep 5, 2004

Hi
Nap Ghost

pgroce posted:

Pity this is too long for a thread title.

Cocktail Thread: "the key to a good Old Fashioned is to shake"

I had a guy once give me back the Old Fashioned I made him because he was a bartender once too and I didn't add a cherry or club soda and therefore didn't know what I was doing.

Also, question, anyone know any good drinks using Scotch and Cynar? Or Scotch and Green Chartreuse? I want something incorporating both those flavors, but having trouble so far.

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

Duey posted:

Cocktail Thread: "the key to a good Old Fashioned is to shake"

I had a guy once give me back the Old Fashioned I made him because he was a bartender once too and I didn't add a cherry or club soda and therefore didn't know what I was doing.

Also, question, anyone know any good drinks using Scotch and Cynar? Or Scotch and Green Chartreuse? I want something incorporating both those flavors, but having trouble so far.

End of the Road. Equal parts Islay, Campari, Green Chartreuse. It's magic.

http://www.kindredcocktails.com/cocktail/end-of-the-road

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker

Duey posted:

Or Scotch and Green Chartreuse?

A modern classic: The Laphroaig Project

jason
Jul 25, 2002

I'm looking to make a large batch of some kind of gin or rum based drink to bring to an adult softball tournament this weekend in an igloo cooler. It looks to be at least 90 degrees this weekend so ice cold and refreshing is the key. This is will be more of a binge drinking event than a classy cocktail party so no high dollar spirits, champagne, etc.

I'm imagining gin with some combination of: mint/basil, citrus, maybe cucumber, maybe watermelon, maybe something fizzy. Any suggestions?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

jason posted:

I'm looking to make a large batch of some kind of gin or rum based drink to bring to an adult softball tournament this weekend in an igloo cooler. It looks to be at least 90 degrees this weekend so ice cold and refreshing is the key. This is will be more of a binge drinking event than a classy cocktail party so no high dollar spirits, champagne, etc.

I'm imagining gin with some combination of: mint/basil, citrus, maybe cucumber, maybe watermelon, maybe something fizzy. Any suggestions?

I made a watermelon/lime juice last weekend (it needed quite a bit of sweetening to stand against the booze), muddled a mint with it, and added a gin. Was quite tasty.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

jason posted:

South Side (I think Gin, Lemon, Simple, Cucumber, mint). I'd avoid the fizzy unless you're going to top off some mass produced french 75/76 as it'll go flat and you'll have dilution already due to cooler ice, with the disclaimer that I've never iglooed a cocktail.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

jason posted:

Kenning posted:

If you want a really inexpensive punch that everyone will love, you can go with Limmer's Club Gin Punch. It's so cheap and so popular with my friends that I'm totally sick of it, but it'll definitely be a hit, and if you make it with handle of Beefeater or Bombay Original or especially New Amsterdam it's like $0.75/drink. It's also easy to scale and memorize.

Limmer's Club Gin Punch

1 oz. white sugar
2 oz. thick orange blossom syrup
3 oz. fresh lemon juice, strained
10 oz. London Dry gin
1 liter soda water

To prepare the orange blossom syrup make up a 2:1 simple syrup and when it's off the heat stir in somewhere around a teaspoon of orange blossom water, to taste. It'll keep in the fridge for some time, in my experience, especially if you dose it with a bit of vodka.

For the punch, peel your lemons and muddle them with the sugar, then let sit for a half hour to an hour. Add your syrup, lemon juice, and gin, and stir to dissolve the sugar. It probably won't all dissolve easily, but that's okay, the soda water will dissolve whatever's left. Fish out the lemon peels, give it another couple stirs (to pick up any sugar that's settled) and then pour in the soda water. Finish with a block of ice (made in advance by freezing an appropriately-sized plastic or metal bowl of water overnight).

If you want to make it in advance, combine everything but the soda water and then store in a jug in your fridge. This is also good to do so the punch will be cold as soon as you serve it and the ice won't melt too quickly. You might want to shake it up before you serve it if you do this, in case of settling. This is a small recipe, but multiply everything by 2.5 for a full fifth of gin, or by 6 for a full handle. A fifth's worth is about a gallon of punch, while a handle gets you a 2.25 gallons, so make sure you have bowls to serve it in.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

looks like you beat me to the punch :haw:

jason
Jul 25, 2002

Liking both the watermelon/lime/mint and the south side ideas. Kenning, I have actually made that punch and one other you posted for different parties and they were a big hit. For this though, I think I'm leaning towards something with cucumber or watermelon (or both!)in it. Those two ingredients just scream hot summer day to me.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Simple enough: Pimm's Cup

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
Any idea what a good cocktail is that uses Hennessy? Preferably something that is appealing to girls? My friend is opening a club and got 24 bottles of Hennessy as samples and I am trying to think of a way to get rid of it.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Ned posted:

Any idea what a good cocktail is that uses Hennessy? Preferably something that is appealing to girls? My friend is opening a club and got 24 bottles of Hennessy as samples and I am trying to think of a way to get rid of it.

Sidecar and variants thereof

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

GrAviTy84 posted:

looks like you beat me to the punch :haw:

:haw:

jason posted:

Liking both the watermelon/lime/mint and the south side ideas. Kenning, I have actually made that punch and one other you posted for different parties and they were a big hit. For this though, I think I'm leaning towards something with cucumber or watermelon (or both!)in it. Those two ingredients just scream hot summer day to me.

Fair call! Watermelon and cucumber are both intensely refreshing. It's cool to know you've tried your hand at a punch or two as well – it's good to have a variety of group drinks available to share.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

jason posted:

I miss-typed/recalled. I was thinking of the eastside (southside + cucumber) if you're looking for ratio.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
My brother has 2 bottles of Southern Comfort (no idea why) and wants to use it up in a punch. Any ideas?

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

angor posted:

My brother has 2 bottles of Southern Comfort (no idea why) and wants to use it up in a punch. Any ideas?

The simplest thing to do is just mix it with lemonade. SoCo is very, very sweet so lemonade cuts that. You could also throw it in with some unsweetened black tea and lemonade for a boozy arnold palmer thing.

If you hate your brother and want to give him a very serious hangover, here is also a helldrink we used to make called "the gummy bear," if you're into that kind of (horrible) thing:

2 parts SoCo
2 parts Midori (or other melon liqueur)
2 parts amaretto
1 part grenadine
2 parts sour mix
1 part soda water

(I cannot endorse the creation or consumption of this drink but we used to make it for people who wanted something that didn't taste like booze. Garnish with a gummy worm to complete the shame.)

Apparently there is also this recipe for a Fog Cutter which uses SoCo.

Honestly, you're not going to find too many non-trashy drinks made with SoCo, because it's not whiskey, it's a liqueur for people who want to pretend they drink whiskey. (Seriously, the ingredients include neutral grain spirits and whiskey flavoring.)

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Any suggestions for fun things to do with Aperol? I got some for aperol spritzes but now I'm bored with those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

GrAviTy84 posted:

Any suggestions for fun things to do with Aperol? I got some for aperol spritzes but now I'm bored with those.

Aperol, tequila, grapefruit soda and lime juice. I wanna say roughly equal parts, but it's been a while.