Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Country with socialized healthcare but without exotic diseases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

zoux posted:

Country with socialized healthcare but without exotic diseases.
Racist.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Bird flu mate :shrug:

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

zoux posted:

Angola has all your needs without the locals or help you'd encounter in Dubai.

E2: Bad MERS-CoV reference :(

E:

Go to China and flash a black credit card while wearing a decent watch. There, saved you a kidney*.
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Sep 9, 2014

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
How many hookers can you get in Thailand for $10 million? At the same time?

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A939QRRSNV4

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

zoux posted:

Don't lie, you were imagining some kind of disease that suddenly festoons your clothing with saffron tassels and you fart incense.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
An "exotic" disease like the "eclectic" "urbans."

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

My Imaginary GF posted:

And again, the case I provided. You attack your imagined sentiment; I provide a common case for millions in America. How much should a family of 5 spend on groceries while living in a transit-oriented city and meeting minimum federal recommendations for nutrition?

You're going to have to spell out what we're arguing about, I guess, because I thought I was talking about a thing actually expressed on a show with which people took umbrage, and which also falls within the goal posts you've set. I mean if you just want to say that you can come up with something that would be ruinous for any given family, uh, I think Hieronymous Alloy has the right of it and I agree with you?

Going by the USDA meal plans, your numbers for food sound reasonable to me for a household making that kind of money.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

SedanChair posted:

Don't lie, you were imagining some kind of disease that suddenly festoons your clothing with saffron tassels and you fart incense.

Guess what the first thing I think about is when I hear the word Thailand.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
Sex tourism?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sex tourism.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Russia has socialized healthcare, no exotic diseases, and sex tourism, off you go

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Dreylad posted:

Russia has socialized healthcare, no exotic diseases, and sex tourism, off you go

I'm just going to go ahead and label skin rotting off due to krokodil use as an exotic disease.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dreylad posted:

Russia's population has declined 7 million since 2006 and no one knows why.

e: ahem I mean since 1992.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I'm just going to go ahead and label skin rotting off due to krokodil use as an exotic disease.

Also "suicidal malaise" probably qualifies. http://www.nybooks.com/blogs/nyrblog/2014/sep/02/dying-russians/

After reading that article I almost didn't back https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1535515364/pathologic out of fear the developers would just off themselves halfway through the project.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

eviltastic posted:

You're going to have to spell out what we're arguing about, I guess, because I thought I was talking about a thing actually expressed on a show with which people took umbrage, and which also falls within the goal posts you've set. I mean if you just want to say that you can come up with something that would be ruinous for any given family, uh, I think Hieronymous Alloy has the right of it and I agree with you?

Going by the USDA meal plans, your numbers for food sound reasonable to me for a household making that kind of money.

My point is, the tone used has to improve before politics and quality of life for all can improve in this country. You can't discount a family which spends 26k/yr on food as not living a hard enough life, when the financial stress they feel is the same as the stress of poverty.

From what I've seen, when people go 'You make 6 figures, have a family vacation once a year, and eat out? You're the 1% and only get the world's smallest violin,' it pushes the greatest ally for organizing and pressuring into the oppo's ideological camp.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

My Imaginary GF posted:

when the financial stress they feel is the same as the stress of poverty.

It. . isn't, though? Like, not at all? It's different both in kind and degree?

Part of the issue is making the relatively well off realize the absolute horror and pain that is true poverty. You don't make converts to progressivism by convincing people that we're all in the same boat because social pressure-to-spend is the same as starvation. You make converts by making the rich and protected realize what real starvation actually is, realize that their problems are petty and trivial beside that, and realize that they therefore need to help because they are horrible evil people if they don't.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Regarding various healthcare systems, here are some short but decent quality (i.e. only minor errors) videos regarding some country's health care systems:

Canada
England
France
Germany
Japan
Singapore
Switzerland
United States

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

My Imaginary GF posted:

From what I've seen, when people go 'You make 6 figures, have a family vacation once a year, and eat out? You're the 1% and only get the world's smallest violin,' it pushes the greatest ally for organizing and pressuring into the oppo's ideological camp.

Oh no I've offended our lords! Our saints! Those who intercede on our behalf! Those who are most effective! They thought themselves our allies, then I pointed out that they make ten to a thousand times what I make!

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

zoux posted:

Is Russia in the middle of a pre-Nazi Germany humiliation to fascism spiral?

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

another solution is to guillotine these people and let the working class rule

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Miltank posted:

More at the end of it but yeah.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Miltank posted:

Don't worry, Russia will never become like Nazi Germany. Because Nazism was only possible due to the heriditary jew hatred of the German people.

\

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

zoux posted:

ripe for immigration if you ask me!

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Russia will never become like Nazi Germany because Russia can't summon the amount of teamwork and organization necessary to do anything (evil or good) at a national scale.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It. . isn't, though? Like, not at all? It's different both in kind and degree?

Part of the issue is making the relatively well off realize the absolute horror and pain that is true poverty. You don't make converts to progressivism by convincing people that we're all in the same boat because social pressure-to-spend is the same as starvation. You make converts by making the rich and protected realize what real starvation actually is, realize that their problems are petty and trivial beside that, and realize that they therefore need to help because they are horrible evil people if they don't.

It really is though? Perceived stress is stressful and physically painful.

http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.psyneuen.2014.04.005

SedanChair posted:

Oh no I've offended our lords! Our saints! Those who intercede on our behalf! Those who are most effective! They thought themselves our allies, then I pointed out that they make ten to a thousand times what I make!

And have as much in assets, if not less.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

My Imaginary GF posted:

It really is though? Perceived stress is stressful and physically painful.

http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.psyneuen.2014.04.005

And poverty causes actual physical brain damage.

Pain and stress are the human condition, but the stress of literally not knowing how you will pay for your next meal is pain and stress many orders of magnitude more severe than the pain and stress you feel because the neighbors have a larger television than you do.

Perhaps not coincidentally, many philosophers and religious thinkers throughout history have pointed out that one of the best ways to relieve the perceived stress of rat-race social status comparisons is to understand the plight of those truly in poverty and spend more time helping others and less time worrying about how you measure up to others.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Speaking of fascism, is there any good discussion on North Korea going on right now? I mean, nothing really happened or anything. I just finished reading The Cleanest Race for the second time and like talking about North Korea.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

pangstrom posted:

Russia will never become like Nazi Germany because Russia can't summon the amount of teamwork and organization necessary to do anything (evil or good) at a national scale.

1941-1945 begs to differ.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

My Imaginary GF posted:

My point is, the tone used has to improve before politics and quality of life for all can improve in this country. You can't discount a family which spends 26k/yr on food as not living a hard enough life, when the financial stress they feel is the same as the stress of poverty.

also: lol

i started reading again from page 242 and was real worried we would start talking about poor people's eating habits again but we didn't! go team!

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

And poverty causes actual physical brain damage.

Pain and stress are the human condition, but the stress of literally not knowing how you will pay for your next meal is pain and stress many orders of magnitude more severe than the pain and stress you feel because the neighbors have a larger television than you do.

Perhaps not coincidentally, many philosophers and religious thinkers throughout history have pointed out that one of the best ways to relieve the perceived stress of rat-race social status comparisons is to understand the plight of those truly in poverty and spend more time helping others and less time worrying about how you measure up to others.

Perceived poverty causes multi-generational brain damage. Actual poverty results in death. We both want the same end result: to end poverty, both actual and perceived.

Would you say its a fair assessment that your view is that policy should first result in a reduction of actual poverty rates, while mine is that policy should first result in a reduction of perceived poverty rates?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

also lol at describing nazi germany as organized or having teamwork

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Badger of Basra posted:

also: lol

i started reading again from page 242 and was real worried we would start talking about poor people's eating habits again but we didn't! go team!

We're all good party members itt.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Raskolnikov38 posted:

They arguably made a great team at stemming the German war effort.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Raskolnikov38 posted:

i was talking about the ussr

edit: oh you meant the person i quoted

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

My Imaginary GF posted:

Perceived poverty causes multi-generational brain damage. Actual poverty results in death. We both want the same end result: to end poverty, both actual and perceived.

Would you say its a fair assessment that your view is that policy should first result in a reduction of actual poverty rates, while mine is that policy should first result in a reduction of perceived poverty rates?
hey could you go back to last page and reply to my question about the 10m in assets thing? i feel like it's an important part of your argument and it doesn't really make sense

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

My Imaginary GF posted:

And have as much in assets, if not less.

Bullshit. I'm not even coming from an 'eat the rich' perspective here, in your example those IRA contributions you were having the family make are assets that are orders of magnitudes higher than what people on food stamps are able to accrue. That's not even getting into intangible assets, like the college degrees and personal and professional connections the couple have that open an incredible amount of doors which are closed to people struggling to make a living without as much as a high school diploma. It's true the middle class don't have much in the way of security, but they come nowhere close to the daily walk along the knife edge that is poverty.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Randler posted:

They arguably made a great team at stemming the German war effort.

How long do yall spend in high school on WWII?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

"gymnasium" whatever.

• Locked thread