Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
punchdaily
Nov 8, 2010

Ultigonio posted:

Pictobits was the only thing that seemed remotely interesting in that bunch, and I've noticed it before, but figured it was just sort of a time-waster game. Is it really that good?

Pictobits is a really fun puzzle game with an interesting mechanic and has amazing remixes of classic NES songs. It's a DSi game so it gets loaded onto the system itself instead of your SD card, but chances are that's relatively empty anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Seeing gameplay is good, I wish more companies showed gameplay when previewing their games because none of them do.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Austrian mook posted:

Seeing gameplay is good, I wish more companies showed gameplay when previewing their games because none of them do.

I don't know if the treehouse format would work for many companies other than Nintendo. There's the problem with a lot of major releases that once you've seen them played for a bit then you've seen everything they have to offer and there's not much reason to play them. Given the positive response, though, I suspect that other game companies may pick out a few games that can present well and copy the format.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Austrian mook posted:

It was was even really cool that they showed gameplay of unfinished games or games that are basically at tech demo level. I felt that robot game was a disaster, but it was cool that they were willing to show it off.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Random Stranger posted:

I don't know if the treehouse format would work for many companies other than Nintendo. There's the problem with a lot of major releases that once you've seen them played for a bit then you've seen everything they have to offer and there's not much reason to play them. Given the positive response, though, I suspect that other game companies may pick out a few games that can present well and copy the format.

Evidently, they should consider making better games, and putting less of their budgets into trailers and "gameplay footage" which isn't indicative of the finished product. Like, you're not fooling anyone with that Splinter Cell stuff Ubisoft.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Austrian mook posted:

Evidently, they should consider making better games, and putting less of their budgets into trailers and "gameplay footage" which isn't indicative of the finished product.

What the gently caress is wrong with you, get out youre fired.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

I hope it's E3 grade Treehouse, which was entertaining to watch, in comparison to Comic-con grade Treehouse, which was pretty drat boring.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Wasn't the comic con just one Treehouse guy and two smash people? I mean the Treehouse guy there wasn't very good either but I remember it was the smash commentators who were really bad.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Austrian mook posted:

Evidently, they should consider making better games, and putting less of their budgets into trailers and "gameplay footage" which isn't indicative of the finished product. Like, you're not fooling anyone with that Splinter Cell stuff Ubisoft.
I was totally going to say this, and follow it up with some sarcasm about the fact that we can't expect companies with only multi-million-dollar budgets to be original.

Random Stranger posted:

I can't quite put my finger on why, but I just get this weird feeling that, even if their presentations aren't horribly boring because of the games being shown, they're still gonna' blow it, somehow. Maybe it's because, when I see the Treehouse staff, I see a group that really, sincerely loves the medium they're working with, while also actually having pretty strong communication skills. I'm not sure the other companies have any sort of equivalent.

edit:

Cake Attack posted:

Wasn't the comic con just one Treehouse guy and two smash people? I mean the Treehouse guy there wasn't very good either but I remember it was the smash commentators who were really bad.
Toph was bearable, Scar is really really bad when he's trying to commentate over Smash 4. WHAT IS THAT ITEM? WHAT'S THAT? WHAT'S HE DOING? As a Melee commentator, he's just kinda' passable.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Crawfish posted:

I hope it's E3 grade Treehouse, which was entertaining to watch, in comparison to Comic-con grade Treehouse, which was pretty drat boring.

Every few minutes at Comic-Con there was a "grudge match" between the same three players to "settle things once and for all".

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I hope the TreeHouse makes it a tradition to have the camera on the hosts for 2-5 minutes while they're forced to keep smiling waiting for the segue footage to load.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Ultigonio posted:

:siren:Well, this is interesting.:siren:

Here I was, expecting a Direct, but it looks like Nintendo found the Treehouse Live formula to be a pretty strong success. I'm a tiny bit excited.

edit: Note that this is only a day before the Japanese release date of Super Smash Bros. for 3DS. I'd bet we'll see one last character announcement (or one last series of character announcements, anyway). Also, the Recent News Tidbit has been updated to show the current NA Club Nintendo rewards (for what it's worth).

It will likely already be the 13th in Japan by the time they do the direct

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Japan is getting a NND stream at roughly the same time as the Treehouse thing.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

Kirby is back on the Club page, I just got mine, man I love The Great Cave Offensive.

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

So I was playing Mario 3D World earlier today, and it slipped my mind that World Castle was only the seventh world, so World Bowser took me by surprise and :allears:.

This game owns.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
It's really bumming me out that Capcom hasn't announced Monster Hunter Ultimate 4 for the Wii U. Part of me wants to believe they just want to sell a billion copies on the 3DS first, but even if it were coming to Wii U we probably wouldn't get it until 2016 :smith:. I just can't imagine putting 100-200 hours into a game on the 3DS, there are just some games I would never play on a handheld and Monster Hunter is one of those games.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

CandyCrazy posted:

So I was playing Mario 3D World earlier today, and it slipped my mind that World Castle was only the seventh world, so World Bowser took me by surprise and :allears:.

This game owns.

I had that exact experience a couple weeks ago, it's especially great because of how visually striking that particular moment is.

CarpetCrawler
Feb 18, 2013

Ultigonio posted:

Toph was bearable, Scar is really really bad when he's trying to commentate over Smash 4. WHAT IS THAT ITEM? WHAT'S THAT? WHAT'S HE DOING? As a Melee commentator, he's just kinda' passable.

I don't understand the apparent love Scar gets in the Smash community in the first place. Every time I've seen him do commentary he's been legitimately awful and sounds like what a television sitcom thinks an eSports commentator sounds like. He was the weak link in the E3 Smash tournament.

The Comic-Con Treehouse stream was pretty disappointing in general. I remember there were tons of tech and audio issues that people were generally assuming that Nintendo would have covered, but they were clearly caught with their pants down that day. Wasn't Smash Bros. for 3DS unable to be streamed for most of the event because their capture device was making the game look super laggy?

If this upcoming Twitch stream is more E3 in terms of quality and less Comic-Con, it will be a great stream.

Exioce
Sep 7, 2003

by VideoGames
So are Nintendo approaching the point now where they have a digital release for every physical copy of a game they make? I'm considering a Wii U somewhere around Christmas time as I expect there'll be a Smash Bros bundle with a GameCube controller. The Mario Kart 8 deal was sweet, but I decided to hold off a little longer.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
That Smash bundle was announced for North America a few months back; it includes the game, a GC controller and the GC pad adapter, $100.

Yeah, pretty much everything gets a simultaneous digital release nowadays.

Exioce
Sep 7, 2003

by VideoGames
Now if only they'd announce a Metroid Prime Trilogy HD release. I think that would seal the deal for a lot of people on the sidelines.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Exioce posted:

Now if only they'd announce a Metroid Prime Trilogy HD release. I think that would seal the deal for a lot of people on the sidelines.

Yeah, goddamn I want this. Those games would still look totally awesome even if they were just upscaled.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Hasn't there been Digital releases for everything they've released since NSMB2, with Nintendo Land being the only exception to that rule?

Though they put Nintendo Land up on the eShop in some regions at some point anyway.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Crawfish posted:

Hasn't there been Digital releases for everything they've released since NSMB2, with Nintendo Land being the only exception to that rule?

Though they put Nintendo Land up on the eShop in some regions at some point anyway.

Nintendo Land was originally on the eShop too, but they removed it after it sold badly and they wanted to get rid of copies in stores.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Rirse posted:

Nintendo Land was originally on the eShop too, but they removed it after it sold badly and they wanted to get rid of copies in stores.

Wait... what?

"Nintendo Land isn't selling well. Let's take it away so it doesn't sell at all!" :confused:

I know Nintendo but huh?

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Macaluso posted:

Wait... what?

"Nintendo Land isn't selling well. Let's take it away so it doesn't sell at all!" :confused:

I know Nintendo but huh?

It's more "Our retailers are pissed at us because Nintendoland isn't selling and is taking up a lot of room on their shelves and in their storage. Let's pull the game from the eShop so that people have to buy them at the store and get rid of that stock."

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

My best guess (and like all armchair stuff, is 100% likely wrong) they were embarrassed that it was not their new "Wii Sports". Except, you know, there were no cute commercials of two older gentleman promoting it with "Wii would like to play."

Man, I wish those commercials would come back, they were awesome.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Rirse posted:

Was this ever actually reported anywhere? I only ever heard it echoed as speculation.

I mean, they're still selling bundles with it, and it's still an awesome set of games, so it's not like they're trying to disown it entirely.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Macaluso posted:

Wait... what?

I know Nintendo but huh?

Isn't this the mentality for everything? Like, anything that doesn't sell well eventually stops being produced and sold.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

SystemLogoff posted:

My best guess (and like all armchair stuff, is 100% likely wrong) they were embarrassed that it was not their new "Wii Sports". Except, you know, there were no cute commercials of two older gentleman promoting it with "Wii would like to play."

Man, I wish those commercials would come back, they were awesome.

It's a shame, too, because I honestly think the game really sold me on the Pad. It's easily my favorite party game since Warioware Smooth Moves.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

noirstronaut posted:

Isn't this the mentality for everything? Like, anything that doesn't sell well eventually stops being produced and sold.

Yeah, but the cost of providing and delivering this game is virtually nil for Nintendo. They only stand to profit by having it available digitally. The popularity may wane, but you'll still get the odd sale here and there.

On another note, I would absolutely love to see the sales records for all of Nintendo's digital sales, especially for the VC.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

As I said, pretty sure NA is the only region where this is a thing.

I'm almost definitely confident that it's on the eShop in my region.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Jedi425 posted:

Kirby is back on the Club page, I just got mine, man I love The Great Cave Offensive.

Yeah, I grabbed it around 5pm last night. Speaking of The Great Cave Offensive. Does anyone know how to quit out to the main screen from this? Because the VC's ability to resume where you last left off, I'm stuck in that game, and can't for the life of me figure out how to get back to the main screen.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Touch the gamepad screen to open up a menu.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

CarpetCrawler posted:

I don't understand the apparent love Scar gets in the Smash community in the first place. Every time I've seen him do commentary he's been legitimately awful and sounds like what a television sitcom thinks an eSports commentator sounds like. He was the weak link in the E3 Smash tournament.
As I said, he's passable at best when not commentating on Smash 4, but even then, everyone I've talked to just straight-up hates having him commentate Melee. Like, I'm just sorta' okay with him, but everyone I've talked to is like "WHY IS SCAR HERE? BRING BACK D1." Maybe he gets a lotta' love in other circles.

Fremry posted:

Yeah, I grabbed it around 5pm last night. Speaking of The Great Cave Offensive. Does anyone know how to quit out to the main screen from this? Because the VC's ability to resume where you last left off, I'm stuck in that game, and can't for the life of me figure out how to get back to the main screen.
If I'm not mistaken, I believe it'll usually auto-save your game when you close it? If you hit Close and it doesn't ask you if you're sure/you'll lose progress/etc., then that means it'll put you exactly at the point where you left off.

Ultigonio fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Sep 9, 2014

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Fremry posted:

I don't think there is an in-game option to return to title with TGCO. If you want to do this on a software level, just make sure you have recently used one of the save points, then hold whatever you have mapped to L+R and press start and select at the same time. This soft resets Kirby Super Star.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Anyone need a Wii u charge station? I bought their other model to try and like it better. This one has bright rear end blue led. Just cover shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00BHISQMI/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?qid=1410297569&sr=8-4&pi=SL75

Aperture Priority
May 4, 2009

~~*~~Is Dream~~*~~
:coolfish::3::coolfish:

Christobevii3 posted:

Anyone need a Wii u charge station? I bought their other model to try and like it better. This one has bright rear end blue led. Just cover shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00BHISQMI/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?qid=1410297569&sr=8-4&pi=SL75

I's be interested if it's still available. PM or let me know.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Mario 3D World for ~$32: http://www.amazon.com/Super-Mario-3...viglink20241-20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Can anyone confirm/deny whether or not coin-based game purchases (i.e. Kirby for 200 coins netting ~79 points) count towards the Deluxe Digital Promotion?

• Locked thread