Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
Has anyone else on Rogers cable in Ontario just had their DNS poo poo itself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr
I'm on rogers via teksavvy but we use unblockus' dns sooo No?

Have you tried using Google's DNS over Rogers?

Also, it seems TekSavvy now requires you to enable ZTC before the first of the month at 8pm or you can't for the entire rest of the month :bang:

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

Rawrbomb posted:

Also, it seems TekSavvy now requires you to enable ZTC before the first of the month at 8pm or you can't for the entire rest of the month :bang:

It's always needed to be on for every 8-12 period for the month to get unlimited bandwidth, I think they've just got around to modifying their consumer portal to reflect as such, instead of having tons of angry people calling in saying "HEY WE ACTIVATED ZTC ON THE SECOND, I DOWNLOADED 1TB, AND YOU CHANGED ME. WTF?"

You pretty much needed a PhD to follow the ZTC rules when they first launched it.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Rawrbomb posted:

I'm on rogers via teksavvy but we use unblockus' dns sooo No?

Have you tried using Google's DNS over Rogers?

Oh, yeah, I switched over as soon as I noticed. It's just kind of a big screwup for an ISP the size of Rogers.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr
It read that you could enable it up to the 10th previously, that or I horribly misread something.

It hasn't been a problem since I wasn't here 24/7 365 working from the house (I move a lot of data around some times).

Now that I am, I'm kind of stuck this month and I've got a big faster connection to eat my bw.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
For me it was before the beginning of my billing period.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

The Dark One posted:

Has anyone else on Rogers cable in Ontario just had their DNS poo poo itself?

Sometime after three in the morning, yeah.

Technically TekSavvy, but we all know it was Rogers loving people as usual.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr
Massive outage in level 3 last night, would have affected everyone regardless.

WaffleLove
Aug 16, 2007
Am looking for a cable solution that's not Shaw. Has anyone tried Vmedia? They seem to offer what I want in my area, and half the friggin price of what I'm paying bell cause I didn't realize my city actually had options !_!

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Recently upgraded my Teksavvy cable from the (now no longer available) 45/4 to 60/10. Took a couple of days from order to implementation, went fine. Haven't tried ZTC yet.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Shaw's always been good to me but I just moved and I've never seen congestion this bad before. I'm paying for a 100mbps which I get in the mornings but in the evening the speed drops to 5mbps.

I guess I have to switch to telus to get decent speeds in this neighbourhood. I've had nothing but bad experiences with them in the past but maybe they are different now? At least they don't have ancient out-dated cable box technology like Shaw I suppose.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

I'm a huge retarded sperglord who can't spell, but Starfleet Dental would still take me and I love them for it!

Squibbles posted:

Shaw's always been good to me but I just moved and I've never seen congestion this bad before. I'm paying for a 100mbps which I get in the mornings but in the evening the speed drops to 5mbps.

I guess I have to switch to telus to get decent speeds in this neighbourhood. I've had nothing but bad experiences with them in the past but maybe they are different now? At least they don't have ancient out-dated cable box technology like Shaw I suppose.

As long as you dont order normal dsl and get the fast dsl/tv stuff its usually okay.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Squibbles posted:

Have you called in yet to confirm that it's an area saturation issue? If not, I can look at it in a bit more detail for you if you want to PM me your info.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
I've been having a similar issue, but with TekSavvy cable(through Shaw) in Edmonton. I pay for 50 down and 5 up, but in the evenings I've only been getting 7-15 mbs. Maybe I should put in a ticket, because its getting to the point where YouTube occasionally has to buffer for a while when normally I can watch like 2 1080p videos at the same time (ie. Me on Netflix, roommate on YouTube)

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
My Telus Optik 50Mb has the quirk of going down for 5 minutes or so just after midnight most nights. Not sure what that is about.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
How do people find Telus' Optik internet versus the cable providers in their areas? I do like TekSavvy, especially the part where I'm not giving the incumbent telecom companies more money, but it sometimes has intermittent packet-loss and speed issues.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

I'm a huge retarded sperglord who can't spell, but Starfleet Dental would still take me and I love them for it!

Mederlock posted:

How do people find Telus' Optik internet versus the cable providers in their areas? I do like TekSavvy, especially the part where I'm not giving the incumbent telecom companies more money, but it sometimes has intermittent packet-loss and speed issues.

I've used both they are about the same internet wise but the telus optik stuff lets you get tv if you want tv teksavvy doesn't let you get tv.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
I've had nothing but great service with Optik.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Coxswain Balls posted:

Have you called in yet to confirm that it's an area saturation issue? If not, I can look at it in a bit more detail for you if you want to PM me your info.

Yeah I talked to two different people who said so. One checked if the area was scheduled to get upgraded and apparently it is but there's no eta on it.

I'm getting telus optik 50mbps on Saturday. Now I have to hope I get one of their new modems that hopefully has bridging enabled so I can actually use my own router.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

less than three posted:

I've had nothing but great service with Optik.

Same for me. Stable, fast, wonderful in every way except for the part where it's run by a horrible company.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Squibbles posted:

I'm getting telus optik 50mbps on Saturday. Now I have to hope I get one of their new modems that hopefully has bridging enabled so I can actually use my own router.

The TELUS Actiontec V2000H does not have bridging enabled, and the root password for it is not yet known.

Tagra posted:

Same for me. Stable, fast, wonderful in every way except for the part where it's run by a horrible company.
They are the Best of the Worst(tm) in Canadian Telcos. While not perfect, I give them credit for really stepping up to the plate over the past ~5 years or so (before that I was and advocating for avoiding like the devil.)

Particularly when Shaw decided to copy Bell and Rogers and charge overages on data caps, instead of the usual "To align with the competition we're now also..." they said "Nawh, gently caress that."

They were also the only telco to fight against having to disclose subscriber information about who is :filez: movies and TV shows on their network.

less than three fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Sep 24, 2014

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Squibbles posted:

Yeah I talked to two different people who said so. One checked if the area was scheduled to get upgraded and apparently it is but there's no eta on it.

That sucks. I've seen way less saturated nodes in the past year due to the progress we've made with analog reclamation, but there's still a lot more that can be done to free up bandwidth to keep ahead of it recurring in the future.

Fiber/coax hybrid internet works with a fiber line going into your neighbourhood (Or node), then it switches to the coax lines that were originally used for TV; that coax part of the network is where the saturation comes in. A cable signal is split between different QAM channels, which were originally used for analog TV stations way back in the day. These QAM channels can be utilized much more effectively by switching over to digital TV (You can fit a handful of HD channels in the same QAM space a single SD analog channel takes up), or my using them for data (One QAM channel is analogous to 37Mbps of downstream throughput, and I think 27Mbps of upstream).

Your node has a specific amount of QAM channels set for downstream and upstream use, and that bandwidth has to be shared between everyone on the node. If your node has 24 channels set for downstream, that's 888Mbps available for use at any given time (37*24=888). If your node has 50 people on it, but 4 of those people have a 250Mbps connection and are downloading at full speed all at the same time, that 888Mbps is completely saturated for the period of time they're all simultaneously using the connection.

One of the solutions for this is getting more channels used for downstream and upstream through more efficient use of the signal. Right now in a lot of places channels are being broadcast three times, in analog, digital standard definition and digital high definition. Shaw's removed non-Basic, analog cable in most areas across the country and repurposed them for data, but there are still a few places where it's still around due to Reasons, and those are more often than not the places that are susceptible to saturation. Future upgrades would hopefully be getting rid of standard definition channels once everyone has high definition capable equipment, so only one feed of a channel is being carried on the signal.

The other solution is splitting a node by running a new fiber line into the neighbourhood. This splits those 50 people in the first example into two nodes of 25 people, and each new node will hopefully be able to handle the load.

The difficulties with the first option are the old holdouts who don't want to upgrade to digital TV, but that becomes less of an issue as time goes on. There's still tons of standard definition equipment out there, so I don't imagine that going away any time soon, however.

Problems with the second option are infrastructure related, as permits need to be acquired, trenches need to be run and agencies need to cooperate, so it can take a lot of time from start to finish. And if all four of those heavy users end up on the same node after the split, you're right back at square one.

(Sorry for the nerd-out. I've done the training for saturation stuff at Shaw and think network infrastructure is some of the coolest poo poo ever).

less than three posted:

Particularly when Shaw decided to copy Bell and Rogers and charge overages on data caps, instead of the usual "To align with the competition we're now also..." they said "Nawh, gently caress that."

Shaw doesn't charge any overage fees. In fact, Telus' website explicitly states that overage charges may apply when going over. In my experience, if someone goes way over their limit month after month (Like, 100% over), you get a call from the bandwidth team to give you a heads up. If it's only a bit over and your node isn't saturated, you'll have a much better chance at being left alone. At least in Shaw's case, the usage limits are more of a mechanism to get ahead of any possible area saturation that would affect other customers. We're a big incumbent ISP so this can always change in the future, but for now I know that's definitely not the case.

(I'm a Shaw employee and all of the opinions expressed in this post are my own, etc. etc.)

Coxswain Balls fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Sep 24, 2014

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

Coxswain Balls posted:

Shaw doesn't charge any overage fees. In fact, Telus' website explicitly states that overage charges may apply when going over. In my experience, if someone goes way over their limit month after month (Like, 100% over), you get a call from the bandwidth team to give you a heads up. If it's only a bit over and your node isn't saturated, you'll have a much better chance at being left alone. At least in Shaw's case, the usage limits are more of a mechanism to get ahead of any possible area saturation that would affect other customers. We're a big incumbent ISP so this can always change in the future, but for now I know that's definitely not the case.

(I'm a Shaw employee and all of the opinions expressed in this post are my own, etc. etc.)

Shaw charges overages but forcing upgrades in your plan. If you constantly go over your limit they will force you into that auto upgrade thing i know i was told this by shaw and was forced to switch to teksavvy because of shaws outrageous prices.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Kly posted:

[Telus] Caps aren't being enforced right now but it is being tested in Prince George and assuming they don't lose half their customers there over this they'll roll it out to everyone.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I've been using Shaw since 2004, routinely doing 100-200% of my cap. I have never been contacted by them, nor have I ever been charged for it.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

When less than three said overage charges like Bell and Rogers, I was under the impression that meant per GB usage based billing. With Shaw, if your usage is affecting the area, that's when you'll get a call from us going over the options, either cutting down usage or upgrading the package.

I do agree that there should be better ways of managing heavy users to cut down on saturation, such as throttling speeds at certain times of day or when you hit certain amounts of usage. Having a cap that may or may not be enforced depending on area factors that aren't public isn't the greatest experience, especially when you see some people saying they can constantly go quadruple over the cap with no ill effects while others don't get that luxury. That's way above my pay grade though, unfortunately.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Coxswain Balls posted:

When less than three said overage charges like Bell and Rogers, I was under the impression that meant per GB usage based billing. With Shaw, if your usage is affecting the area, that's when you'll get a call from us going over the options, either cutting down usage or upgrading the package.

Yes I apologize, my info wasn't up to date. Shaw dropped the "automatically raise your base plan when you exceed usage" system some time between now and when I was last looking at them. I still feel they're to blame as they fired the first shot into capped services their initial trials of data caps, which let TELUS take the high road for a few months before doing the same. It seems to have backfired on both companies so now both are on the similar "soft cap" footing. (Don't cause trouble and you won't hear from us.)

I'm also in a networking background, and I find it very interesting how Shaw and TELUS have managed to keep up with each other given the vastly different issues they encounter serving people. With Shaw at least you get service even if your note is saturated. TELUS is still in the game thanks to VDSL, but the newer 50mb+ packages require two copper runs per dwelling, so if you're living somewhere old (or new and cut corners) it's a pain to get service.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I've had good experience with Telus so far, too. I haven't had any issues with slow-downs and to my surprise I don't think I've reached my monthly cap once so far, whether enforced or not.

(Something I mentioned here months ago was my conversation with the sales dude when I ordered it, in which he basically said 'don't worry about the cap, as long as you don't go [2 or 3] times over then no one will notice.')

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

less than three posted:

TELUS is still in the game thanks to VDSL, but the newer 50mb+ packages require two copper runs per dwelling, so if you're living somewhere old (or new and cut corners) it's a pain to get service.

Is Telus only offering those packages if pair bonding is available? Here in Ontario Bell is still only using a single pair AFAIK, most areas get 15 or 25Mbps service only, but if you're in a higher density area you can get 50Mbps VDSL2 off a single pair.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Caller ID on my Telus home phone has been dead for two days now. Anyone else getting this?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Does shaw throttle upstream bittorrent? I'm seeing one tenth the speed that I see in any speed test tool.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

mewse posted:

Does shaw throttle upstream bittorrent? I'm seeing one tenth the speed that I see in any speed test tool.

The traffic management policies in our terms of use state that upstream P2P traffic may be throttled if there's congestion on your node, but I'm not seeing that as being the case.

That's not to say that there might be some other traffic shaping going on that I'm not aware of, though. I'll try setting up a torrent on my home computer later to see whether or not I can max out my upload. At least that'll tell us if there might be anything funny going on in regards to torrents.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

mewse posted:

Stupid question, but you have UPNP enabled in the client/router or you are forwarding the correct ports traffic to your computer from the router?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Rawrbomb posted:

Stupid question, but you have UPNP enabled in the client/router or you are forwarding the correct ports traffic to your computer from the router?

I manually forwarded the correct port but I'm not 100% certain about my upnp settings because I didn't configure them either way.

slush
Jun 23, 2006
Thank you for calling....
Ladies and Gentlemen, I present you the Rogers "8 Year Price Lock Guarantee".

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

Telus Optik internet has served me so well for the past year, but then i move apartments and it starts looking like this.

When I moved, i also took the opportunity to cancel my TV service. By doing this, will I have relegated myself to some lovely ADSL service rather than the VDSL I had with Optik?

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

Zartans Lady Mask posted:

Telus Optik internet has served me so well for the past year, but then i move apartments and it starts looking like this.

When I moved, i also took the opportunity to cancel my TV service. By doing this, will I have relegated myself to some lovely ADSL service rather than the VDSL I had with Optik?

Yeah unless you have the TV service you are going to have a bad time with telus. But even in apartments you aren't going to have ideal telus usually because they overload the nodes.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Just checking, the Telus Actiontec modem can't be put into bridged mode due to the root password being unknown still?

Gotta set up the IGMP for the tv. I just got a new router and wanted to set it up proper instead of the double NAT crap.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

priznat posted:

Just checking, the Telus Actiontec modem can't be put into bridged mode due to the root password being unknown still?

Gotta set up the IGMP for the tv. I just got a new router and wanted to set it up proper instead of the double NAT crap.

The new actiontecs (1200/2200) can apparently be put in bridged mode. Supposedly it's nice too because port 1 is bridged and the other 3 still go through its router so you can hook your router to port 1 and the TV terminal(s) to the other ports and you don't have to worry about them being on your network or mess with QoS or whatever.

I just switched to telus last week and got the actiontec 1200 and it seems to have no problem in bridged mode. Though I'm not sure the telus tech turned off the wifi before bridging it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Squibbles posted:

The new actiontecs (1200/2200) can apparently be put in bridged mode. Supposedly it's nice too because port 1 is bridged and the other 3 still go through its router so you can hook your router to port 1 and the TV terminal(s) to the other ports and you don't have to worry about them being on your network or mess with QoS or whatever.

I just switched to telus last week and got the actiontec 1200 and it seems to have no problem in bridged mode. Though I'm not sure the telus tech turned off the wifi before bridging it.

Oh nice, I should call and see if I can swap my V100H for one of those. And get a new remote for my optik, that long and thin one is such a piece of poo poo the buttons die after a year or so. And not backlit like the old one, piece of crap.