Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
The hugbox belongs in the grappling thread please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Greg Jackson posted:

Tell Ben that the internet hopes his arm heals quickly

He got it x-rayed on the doctors said it was fine. Not sure what he did to it but they were probably being cautious. Hopefully there isn't any other kind of damage, but like I said, he was already back in the gym training everyone on Monday. He's a very dedicated guy. Dumb question but you aren't actually THE Greg Jackson are you?

Also, I really appreciate the kind words everyone. I'm kind of in a new medication daze right now since I just woke up, but I have 5 hours or so to get myself pumped up to get back in there. Thanks again.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
Greg Jackson may be an autistic weirdo so I could see where the assumption comes from but he's not (yet) a goon.

Also this is yet another cool result of Ben Rothwell beating Overeem, congratulations and good luck! :)

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
That's good to hear and thank you. I'm nervous but am still trying to get pumped up. I have all of my gear ready now.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Pennywise the Frown posted:

That's good to hear and thank you. I'm nervous but am still trying to get pumped up. I have all of my gear ready now.

Keep us posted, ok?

Because sure as hell, we'll try to fire you up if you start feeling like taking off days. If that helps any.

edit: my first deadlift day after summer break and I swear the endorphines hit me so hard I was high as a kite for an hour after that. It was just.... "I CAN LIFT THIS STUFF, RAAAARGH" sort of great. Which is awesome for a pasty nerd. Pennywise, if the gym has any barbells, try to incorporate a few lifts a day or two a week.

Ligur fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Sep 9, 2014

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Aside from the eyebleedingly bad web design, how does this place look to you guys? This is really close to my workplace and a coworker and I are considering going in for BJJ and/or striking.

http://www.randorifightclub.com/

They also have a FB page that seems to have more information, (https://www.facebook.com/randorifightclub), but admittedly it seems like a bit of a red flag that I can't find out anything about their instructors or where they trained.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

suboptimal posted:

Aside from the eyebleedingly bad web design, how does this place look to you guys? This is really close to my workplace and a coworker and I are considering going in for BJJ and/or striking.

They also have a FB page that seems to have more information, (https://www.facebook.com/randorifightclub), but admittedly it seems like a bit of a red flag that I can't find out anything about their instructors or where they trained.

The website says free trial, so there's nothing to lose but time to check it out. You can always ask about lineage/certifications when you're there.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Dumb question but you aren't actually THE Greg Jackson are you?

I'm the fake, fake Greg Jackson. We lost the real fake Greg Jackson in the flame wars of 2012.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

How soon before you step on the mat do you weigh in at IBJJF tournaments these days?

I've got 11 days to lose 1.2kg for an IBJJF tournament. That sounds easy to me, but it's probably going to leave me weaker on the day, so I'm wondering if I should lose half and dehydrate half. But if the weigh-in is immediate, the dehydration will weaken me more than the diet. Hrmph.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

suboptimal posted:

IF you scroll down there's an article (in portuguese) about one of the instructors that's apparently a 22yr old black belt coming up from Brazil. Looks like he was trying to get an MMA career going but got injured.

I'd say it looks worth giving a try, they seem like a nice enough bunch anyway, and apparently they do compete.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

How soon before you step on the mat do you weigh in at IBJJF tournaments these days?

I've got 11 days to lose 1.2kg for an IBJJF tournament. That sounds easy to me, but it's probably going to leave me weaker on the day, so I'm wondering if I should lose half and dehydrate half. But if the weigh-in is immediate, the dehydration will weaken me more than the diet. Hrmph.

Dude...1.2 kg is nothing. You're not going to lose any strength from cutting 1.2 kg of water even if weigh=in is 30 minutes before your match.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Ligur posted:

Keep us posted, ok?

Because sure as hell, we'll try to fire you up if you start feeling like taking off days. If that helps any.

Mission success. It was pretty packed in there but I found a guy I knew and partnered with him. First thing though, I tried to warm up myself and kicked a little too high and cranked the right part of my lower back. After warming up with the group and training it felt better though. I was pretty rusty but everything started coming back pretty quickly.

I'm currently a yellow belt (we have a belt system) and Ben told me tonight that he wants to move me to orange soon, as was going to happen before I left. I said "What? I've been gone for so long though." He didn't care. He told me I put the effort in, my skill was already looking good again, and I just had a much needed leave of absence. So that's cool.

I also filled out a form from smartrecovery.org about goals and changing your lifestyle and stuff like that and gave it to Ben. He's almost like another doctor to me. He knows all about my mental problems and tries his best to help me out. I just wanted to show him what my plans were for the near future and how I am planning on accomplishing them. They mostly involve MMA (and drinking/smoking, diet, etc) so I though he should be know. He said he'd go over it and put it in my file. I love that guy.

Either way, I'm not dead tired, I didn't injure myself, and I remembered quite a bit. So, good time overall. I'm going back Thursday.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Today went great in CSW, in rolling I actually got to go on the offensive, wasn't able to do anything with it, but was able to maintain side control a majority of the time. So improvement v:shobon:v

edit: knee on belly really is the answer to a lot of questions.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Question time. Basically, what is a decent bag that takes up almost NO space and can be moved around easily? I know I know, pretty rough question, but I saw a type of bag at some redneck sports place out here in Wisconsin that was a pretty tall... padded foam? filled something or other with maybe 100lbs of sand in the base.

It said it was for MMA. You could punch it, kick it high and low, it had handles on so you could clinch it and it showed a pic of some dude doing a takedown on it.

Now I don't care about any of that. I just want something I can hit. I did hit it a few times and the only thing that bothered me, naturally, is that it swayed too much because it was weighted in the base.

Now I have literally no room. I live in a tiny bedroom at my parent's place due to my mental state, but the VA pays me so I do have some money. I'd just like to beat something up sometimes and be able to store it easily out of the way. I may be getting a bit ahead of myself but that's what bipolar II people normally do. Either way, I'm trying to make positive changes and show some stability so I can start living on my own and set up my own home gym.

Does anything like this exist that's better than that thing I saw? :confused:

Edit - spelling

Edit2 - It's possible this experience tonight might have already or will trigger a hypomanic phase. I assure you all that I just started taking new meds (lamotrigine) to help with that. It will take a while for them to work though. At least a month to titrate up to the starting "safe" dose. Sorry, just having racing thoughts now and I recognize it and it's good to get it out there. Some people don't realize when they are going manic. That's bad.

Anyway, ignore off of that because the question still stands about the bag. :toot:

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Sep 10, 2014

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009
^^^ You may want to look into getting a makiwara board. Basically it's a pad that you mount on some kind of really stable surface (usually a wall, but I imagine you can figure something out with some kind of stand) that's a few inches thick and probably only 2x2 ft at most. A quick google has revealed the existence of clapper versions. I recommend not going for one of those because it will be loud as hell.

Not sure how to handle the 'move easily' part. I'm pretty sure most bags that can be moved will be weighted at the base, and anything that can be moved easily will sway because, well, it can move easily. It sounds like you need something that can switch between a move-easy mode and a stable-as-a-brick mode. Maybe something with a base that allows you to fill it up and drain it?

Buried alive fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Sep 10, 2014

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I looked up the makiwara board but that really isn't what I'm looking for. I want a full bag I guess. I suppose I'm worried about the base because I can't be filling the thing up with water to the point where I can't move it. I know that the best possible solution would be to go to the gym, but RothwellMMA isn't open all the time because his wife works so the hours are a little weird. Plus, the fight team might be training on the gear and I could work in, but I just feel they need it more than I do.

I really just want a toy I guess for me to gently caress up.

Fake edit - Found it. http://www.centurymartialarts.com/Training_Bags/Fight_Simulators/Century%C2%AE%20Versys%20VS.1%20Fight%20Simulator.aspx

That's what I saw at the sporting goods store. Is something like that even worth it? Can I get a decent workout out of using it? Are there any bad flaws about it? Am I crazy? Am I an idiot for considering getting something like this?

:catdrugs:

Edit: Slight hypomania atm. I'm going to do open gym and yoga with Ben's wife Jen today. Hopefully I can get some sleep. Trying to be calm now.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Sep 10, 2014

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

.. I suppose I'm worried about the base because I can't be filling the thing up with water to the point where I can't move it...

Okay..some possibilities are coming to mind here.

The base thing might not be as much of a problem as you think. Some bags with bases (Shorter Wavemaster, BOB, etc) aren't too bad to move in that you can tip them at an angle and roll them. If you have a wooden floor, you might be able to put something like some of these underneath the base, then fill it to your heart's content. Hopefully that will keep it from wobbling much when you hit it, but will let you slide it into storage if you basically crouch way down and put your shoulder to the base.

If you actually need to lift the thing to put it into storage and don't want to worry about filling/emptying a base, then it looks like your options are the thing you posted earlier or a hanging bag of some sort that hangs from something installed in your ceiling.

Either that or wrap some thick-ish rubber around a tree in your backyard and use that.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
It's going to be winter here in Wisconsin soon so that rubber will turn to.... uh.... hard... rubber I guess.

Wait...

I'm probably just getting ahead of myself. I do this when I get :airquote: excited. I should probably just stick with the gym for now and not worry about equipment. I appreciate all of the advice though. I just need to calm down.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

If space is an issue, what about getting a mirror and shadow boxing?

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Dude...1.2 kg is nothing. You're not going to lose any strength from cutting 1.2 kg of water even if weigh=in is 30 minutes before your match.

It might be five minutes or less, though. Will that still work?

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
How weak are you if you skip breakfast?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

It might be five minutes or less, though. Will that still work?

Yes, your naturally bodyweight probably fluctuates more than 1.2 kg week to week. Just slightly reduce your water and salt/carb intake a few days before the fight and maybe have liquid meals for dinner and breakfast before the comp. You probably won't even be thirsty, much less have to actually rehydrate.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
I did a cigarette and beer diet this summer during my vacation for 3+ weeks and lost between 10-12 lbs.

Is this good progress?

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

Ligur posted:

I did a cigarette and beer diet this summer during my vacation for 3+ weeks and lost between 10-12 lbs.

Is this good progress?

You obvs weren't drinking enough beer if you lost weight

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
gently caress.

Must fix beer diet.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
In the E/N vein I'll be heading back to BJJ today after almost 2 years off (not that it matters much since I only went for a few months back then). Hoping to get over the absurd, irrational anxiety it causes me. Seriously there is no reason to be anxious. I've been there before, the people are pretty cool outside of a couple guys who maybe go too hard while rolling (who usually only want to roll with each other anyway), the classes are decent, etc. I know it's stupid to fixate on belts in BJJ, but I would like to (someday) get any belt above white because it'd be a pretty huge accomplishment for me to, you know, stick with something long enough to accomplish something.

Anyway, since this is an A/T thread, please tell me about the awful commutes people go through to get to their gyms in order to make me feel dumb for being whiny about my sub-20 minute bike ride (or 20-30 minute bus ride). Also tell me about the crazy prices people pay in larger cities to make me feel dumb for thinking the gym I go to is "too expensive". These are the rational reasons I usually latch on to in order to make excuses to not go.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

In the E/N vein I'll be heading back to BJJ today after almost 2 years off (not that it matters much since I only went for a few months back then). Hoping to get over the absurd, irrational anxiety it causes me. Seriously there is no reason to be anxious. I've been there before, the people are pretty cool outside of a couple guys who maybe go too hard while rolling (who usually only want to roll with each other anyway), the classes are decent, etc. I know it's stupid to fixate on belts in BJJ, but I would like to (someday) get any belt above white because it'd be a pretty huge accomplishment for me to, you know, stick with something long enough to accomplish something.

Anyway, since this is an A/T thread, please tell me about the awful commutes people go through to get to their gyms in order to make me feel dumb for being whiny about my sub-20 minute bike ride (or 20-30 minute bus ride). Also tell me about the crazy prices people pay in larger cities to make me feel dumb for thinking the gym I go to is "too expensive". These are the rational reasons I usually latch on to in order to make excuses to not go.

I have to walk like 12 blocks to get to my gym that I pay $0/month for, thanks to a lifetime membership I bought years ago that's already paid for itself twice over. Brutal!

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

190$ a month. 20 min commute on the weekend by car. 1 hour commute on the weekday. I do the hour commute three times a week.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I have to walk like 12 blocks to get to my gym that I pay $0/month for, thanks to a lifetime membership I bought years ago that's already paid for itself twice over. Brutal!

Sounds awful.

KildarX posted:

190$ a month. 20 min commute on the weekend by car. 1 hour commute on the weekday. I do the hour commute three times a week.

See this is more what I was looking for.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Getting ready to start BJJ and need some gear recommendations for the following:

Gi
Rashguard
Mouthguard
???

MalleusDei
Mar 21, 2007

-Blackadder- posted:

Getting ready to start BJJ and need some gear recommendations for the following:

Gi
Rashguard
Mouthguard
???

I started with a Fuji Gi
Rashguard and compression shorts from Target (Champion brand?)
I got a Gladiator Mouthguard. It owns.

You could also keep an eye out on BJJHQ for good deals on gis. I've purchased a couple gis from them under $100.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Thanks for the input, I'm going to check them out next week and will report back. Is it bad form/weird to wear a cup or some other form of groin protection in BJJ?

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

suboptimal posted:

Is it bad form/weird to wear a cup or some other form of groin protection in BJJ?

Nope, although they're banned in some competitions (and required in others, go figure).

Tambreet
Nov 28, 2006

Ninja Platypus
Muldoon
I also love the Gladiator mouthguard. I haven't tried many gis, but I like this chart which I think I first saw on here. Has anyone seem something similar that's not 3 years old?

A Wry Smile
Jul 19, 2014

Well, at least now it's over.
So I just ordered a CXT (Combat X Trainer). Normally I wouldn't go for a grappling dummy, but I know there are a variety of high level jits guys who use it, and it's a fraction of the cost of most of those things, so maybe it'll be a useful tool for drilling as I rehab my ACL. Anyone else using this thing?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Yes, your naturally bodyweight probably fluctuates more than 1.2 kg week to week.

Not even that. Your natural bodyweight fluctuates that much over the course of an afternoon.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Thanks for the recommendations. I saw fuji mentioned on another forum as well so I'll pick up one of those.

On another note, what are your guys' thoughts on Western Boxing vs Muay Thai/Kick Boxing? Obviously Western Boxing doesn't have kicking, elbows etc, but as far as just punching and movement goes which would you say has the edge and how much of an edge?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

-Blackadder- posted:

Thanks for the recommendations. I saw fuji mentioned on another forum as well so I'll pick up one of those.

On another note, what are your guys' thoughts on Western Boxing vs Muay Thai/Kick Boxing? Obviously Western Boxing doesn't have kicking, elbows etc, but as far as just punching and movement goes which would you say has the edge and how much of an edge?

They're different sports, that's kind of like asking if football or baseball is better for throwing. Muay Thai probably translates better to MMA.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Mechafunkzilla posted:

They're different sports, that's kind of like asking if football or baseball is better for throwing. Muay Thai probably translates better to MMA.

Yeah. Wasn't a guy like thee pages back talking about this? The transition is less about one having an edge and more about them having a different ruleset. The technique forms and stance you use for boxing would get your poo poo wrecked by knees/clinch/kicks in a Muay Thai fight but a Muay Thai stance in a boxing ring is going to get your bell rung. Good boxers box well, good muay thai fighters muay well. If you want pure "punching and movement" I'd go with boxing because it is punch and move, but do muay thai if you want punch and elbow and knee and move.

e: for actual content, I've been sans punching and hugging for 4 months or so now, am ramping back in again in the hopes of finding a good place. There's boxing like 30 mins away I'm hoping is a good gym and will work with my work schedule. And hoping I can resist the urge to kick people and switch up my stance. Anyway, ran stairs today and god drat did it suck. Which means I need to do it until it no longer sucks. Anyone have any other good get back into fighting cardio ideas? Right now I'm thinking stairs, sprints, regular running, but I should probably throw some body weights and anaerobic stuff on too, I guess. And stretching.
Lots of stretching.

the JJ fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Sep 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Trip report: went to class today. Got real friggin' anxious on the way in, but calmed down when I got there. Had a good time. Finally rolled with someone roughly my size and skill level for the first time at this gym and actually defended well, swept and came close to a guillotine. Rolled with a purple belt who gave up his back to me when I asked nicely (seriously), but still couldn't do anything. Finally "landed" an armbar when he gave up his arm to me for shits. Good stuff.

• Locked thread