Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

BioEnchanted posted:

I kinda liked that the head of the Chimera corporation literally turned into a Chimera. I thought that was a cool idea.

That was cool, yes. That whole fight was pretty neat, actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kamaitachi
Feb 20, 2004
Grimey Drawer
I always felt the politics of that show were oddly conservative, in spite of having a teen main character.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Gaunab posted:

I thought the message was don't play around when it comes to altering your DNA. Or don't treat scientific break throughs like a fad.
No kidding. I'm pretty sure it was a story that boiled down to 'don't make irreversible changes to your body you may regret in the name of hip trendz'.

Like pierce your hip.
Or gauge the gently caress out of your ears.
Or get a dumbfuck tattoo.

I mean it can easily be interpreted as don't get too caught up in fads and lose yourself, too.

Its not exactly a 'loving conservative dipshit OLDs' plot the way that one guy sperged out about.

Also, a lot of the fun of Beyond is watching Terry navigate holoraves and credchits and proton burgers... In contrast to old fuddy duddy Bruce Wayne that sits in his dusty old mansion yelling at kidz to quit riding nucleoscooters all over his hyperlanes. The politics are semi conservative due to that.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Aug 25, 2014

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

FilthyImp posted:

Also, a lot of the fun of Beyond is watching Terry navigate holoraves and credchits and proton burgers... In contrast to old fuddy duddy Bruce Wayne that sits in his dusty old mansion yelling at kidz to quit riding nucleoscooters all over his hyperlanes. The politics are semi conservative due to that.

I always like that although it's shown all the time that flying cars exist (I mean the Batmobile is one), old angry Bruce still rides an actual regular car.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

TwoPair posted:

I always like that although it's shown all the time that flying cars exist (I mean the Batmobile is one), old angry Bruce still rides an actual regular car.

It depends on the episode, Bruce has a hovering limo and a regular one :goonsay:

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Sci-fi inherently has a regressive streak to it, some of the genre's most notable entries boil down to old white English teachers whining about how these kids these days are going to be the downfall of society what with their teevees:bahgawd:

Batman Beyond was relatively benign in that for every episode about how drugs are bad and body modification is for squares it had episodes about how the school-to-prison pipeline is really hosed up and how profiling criminals doesn't work.

e: Also the episodes with Willy Watt called out the whole "nice guy" phenomena a decade before Reddit even existed, so kudos on that.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Sci-fi inherently has a regressive streak to it, some of the genre's most notable entries boil down to old white English teachers whining about how these kids these days are going to be the downfall of society what with their teevees:bahgawd:

Batman Beyond was relatively benign in that for every episode about how drugs are bad and body modification is for squares it had episodes about how the school-to-prison pipeline is really hosed up and how profiling criminals doesn't work.

e: Also the episodes with Willy Watt called out the whole "nice guy" phenomena a decade before Reddit even existed, so kudos on that.

Its a weird show and probably the best possible teenage batman you can create. I like that the one episode with the military involves them doing illegal things, not caring that a shitload of innercity gang members get killed and are ultimately bailed out by a gang member who wants out. While the plot to the episode Bloodsport is so Kraven the Hunter it hurts since its a one-shot it has an incredibly good ending. I genuinely like the final imagery when Batman both physically and psychologically destroys Stalker.

Despite not doing enough with it the idea of having a Batman villain who is powered by the same source as Batman (Wayne Corp) was a pretty neat idea and a niche not readily explored by other existing villains.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Aug 25, 2014

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Barudak posted:

While the plot to the episode Bloodsport is so Kraven the Hunter it hurts since its a one-shot it has an incredibly good ending. I genuinely like the final imagery when Batman both physically and psychologically destroys Stalker.

While Stalker always struck me as a wee bit racist, what really irked me about him is that after they mentally broke him and hit him with a train, quite clearly implying his death, they brought him back fit as a fiddle.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Acquire Currency! posted:

Holy gently caress remember the lesbian biker gang in that episode of cow and chicken?
That episode either never aired, or it aired once and never again.

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

Y-Hat posted:

That episode either never aired, or it aired once and never again.

They broke into houses and ate peoples carpet.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Magnus Condomus posted:

They broke into houses and ate peoples carpet.
Yeah I saw that episode on YouTube and was struck at how obvious it was. Is it still up?

delirious pancake
Dec 29, 2006
in your grocer's freezer
FWIW, I definitely saw that episode back when it was new - it definitely made it to air. I remember watching it more than once, although it's very possible I just taped it off TV. And even though I was like 10 and didn't know lesbian slang, I definitely knew something weird was going on. :v: Same goes for literally all the innuendo on Rocko, even though I was much younger then - that's how unsubtle it was.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

My favorite Rocko joke wasn't a "how did this get past the censors?" one. It was at the beginning of the garage sale episode, when Rocko and Heffer are deciding how to pay off the pizza bill, and Heffer suggests that they "start a club like that Diuretics guy."

I did a double take when I rediscovered that one.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Donald Glover gets to be Spider-Man after all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZz_r9_ZBAI

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

What's this, the fourth animated Spider-Man reboot in the last decade?

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

raditts posted:

Almost the same number of spider man movies in the last decade hmmmmmm

But I support Gambino in whatever he does.

frank.club fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Aug 26, 2014

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

raditts posted:

I wish. It's still Ultimate Spider-Man in all its "glory"

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
That show is still going on? Wow.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

But I support Gambino in whatever he does.
Dude has some weird Twitter meltdowns every now and then. :gonk:

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

The MSJ posted:

Donald Glover gets to be Spider-Man after all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZz_r9_ZBAI

He's alright. I actually think he sounds a little old for Miles. And I pictured him sounding slightly dorkier. I think he's doing his version of Peter instead of Miles.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Soylentbits posted:

He's alright. I actually think he sounds a lot old for Miles.

ftfy

That voice should not be coming out of a skinny 13 year old. Maybe if he were aged up, but still, he doesn't sound nearly teenaged.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

Dude has some weird Twitter meltdowns every now and then. :gonk:

I've never been to his Twitter before so I went to see what you were talking about.

I kind of wish I didn't. Now I'm really loving uncomfortable. Jesus...

I mean, I know of his albums and his Weirdo comedy special so I know he's not JUST like his Community character or whatever but his Twitter just unsettling in a weird way.

Thundersword238
Oct 15, 2012

So uh, apparently there is gonna be a new episode of The Looney Tunes Show tonight at 6:30. It looks like it's gonna be a Man of Steel parody. Wasn't this show cancelled more or less? Not that I'm complaining, it's just that I literally just heard about it today when I saw the commercial for it.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Thundersword238 posted:

So uh, apparently there is gonna be a new episode of The Looney Tunes Show tonight at 6:30. It looks like it's gonna be a Man of Steel parody. Wasn't this show cancelled more or less? Not that I'm complaining, it's just that I literally just heard about it today when I saw the commercial for it.

http://www.toonzone.net/2014/08/clip-new-looney-tunes-show-episode-premieres-august-31-2014/

.-. huh. Well, that's something nice to look forward to in a bit then. Thanks for the heads up. But yeah, this was cancelled in 2013, so, well, this is a strange thing CN did.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

http://www.toonzone.net/2014/08/clip-new-looney-tunes-show-episode-premieres-august-31-2014/

.-. huh. Well, that's something nice to look forward to in a bit then. Thanks for the heads up. But yeah, this was cancelled in 2013, so, well, this is a strange thing CN did.

I guess they decided it was a waste to leave an unaired episode in the can. Why they decided to wait a year and a half to air an episode that was obviously meant to coincide with the movie's release is beyond me.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Have they announced when Ben 10: Omniverse will start airing again? I noticed that a few new episodes have already aired in Brazil.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Nope. I heard a rumor about September, but it doesn't seem likely at this point.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
Weird, I saw that Superrabbit episode ages ago. It must have gotten leaked or something.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

horriblePencilist posted:

Weird, I saw that Superrabbit episode ages ago. It must have gotten leaked or something.

I saw it too months ago. I think it was just aired in another country first.

What's with that anyway? TMNT, SD:MI, and USM have all aired outside of the US long before the US actually got them....weird.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Just got a Kickstarter message that Wakfu season 1 is coming to Netflix on the 14th :woop:

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

Tartarus Sauce posted:

This just in: Batman Beyond's "Splicers" is still a bad episode.

HEY KIDS! When your parents tell you that something is weird, uncouth, and unnatural, THEY'RE RIGHT! Just say "no" to rock n' roll, punk rock, hanging out with people you met on the Interwebs, racial integration, and gay marriage! Your elders know best!

HEY KIDS! If your immediate gut reaction to someone or something is that they're gross, weird, and probably evil because they're different or aesthetically unattractive, you're RIGHT! All of your immediate negative gut reactions are ALWAYS right, and you NEVER have to rethink or revisit them! Just like your reactions to gay people and foreigners! Go kick the poo poo out of that goth kid for us, skipper!

HEY KIDS! If something contradicts nature as we understand it, it's EVIL! So be smart, and just say "no" to computers, nanotechnology, stem cell research, cancer treatments, gene therapy, and the Large Hadron Collider. Remember, kids: If God had intended for us to have it, He would've given it to us already!

This sucker definitely feels like a Very Special Episode. All of the "good" and "smart" characters have a visceral and automatic negative reaction to splicing, and by jove, they turn out to be totally and completely correct!

The other anti-drug-esque episodes are fine for the most part, but this feels like something else entirely. In addition to feeling very anti-science at its core--because I see how this kind of breakthrough could conceivably save and improve lives in reality--the episode comes across more like a failed and hysterical metaphor for piercings or tattoos than doing drugs.

Oh, and Spunky totally hosed that mop, and it was absolutely not subtle.

Kids are idiots and aren't competent enough to properly understand why they shouldn't turn themselves into hyenas and man kangaroos.

How is that controversial?

Sithsaber fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Sep 9, 2014

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
You know I just realized that the one legacy of watching Rocket Power as a kid is that I use hamburger buns for hot dogs when I'm out of hot dog buns.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

achillesforever6 posted:

You know I just realized that the one legacy of watching Rocket Power as a kid is that I use hamburger buns for hot dogs when I'm out of hot dog buns.

Major beef
Wah-wow

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

achillesforever6 posted:

You learned that from Rocket Power and not just... basic necessity? I mean poo poo, I could've figured that one out and I'm just a loving SHOOBIE.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Major beef
Wah-wow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfEctd61P5w

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Another thing I remember about Rocket Power was that gag where a UFO abducts a whale in the background, that and being upset about the NHL hockey episode because none of them were Pittsburgh Penguins, but then again it was the early 2000s.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Holy poo poo, thank you so much for this, hardest I've laughed all day.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
Gravity Falls got a lot creepier this season.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

Ariza posted:

Gravity Falls got a lot creepier this season.

It's great how the last episode overtly summed up the two contrasting themes that make this show great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ahahahah

E: that guy is dead