Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Baronjutter posted:

Are developers just desperately trying to build as much as they can and cash out before a crash or do they think they can build their way out?

My sense is that they're not building out of any rational consideration for future market conditions. At this point they're more likely to be driven by a desire to create value for the shareholder or some other Friedman bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Cultural Imperial posted:

My sense is that they're not building out of any rational consideration for future market conditions. At this point they're more likely to be driven by a desire to create value for the shareholder or some other Friedman bullshit.

Also they are developers, what else are they going to do? It isn't like they can pivot their investments somewhere else.

I imagine they will keep building until pre-sales stop, since they won't get financing for the project.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
old news removed

melon cat fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Feb 5, 2024

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Hey guys, Canada's banking industry is a paragon of integrity and prudent risk management.

http://www.baskinfinancial.com/main/bank-on-canadian-banks/

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Hey guys, Canada's banking industry is a paragon of integrity and prudent risk management.

That financial analysis is a good example of why I went self-directed on all my investments.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

ocrumsprug posted:

That financial analysis is a good example of why I went self-directed on all my investments.

U.S. dollar denominated equity indexes being one of the eSeries funds = ticket to passive riches. You can get exposure to a real economy AND get exposure to the Canadian dollar's inevitable grind downwards!

Edit: Specifically TDB952 and TDB953.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

God drat I wish I was smart enough to figure out self-directed investment. My stupid investments run by a dude who takes a huge percent have been doing pretty ok though. Last time we talked I told him I'd like to minimize my exposure to Canadian banks and dollar and he told me a banking/housing crash in canada wouldn't be bad and might even send stocks up but at least told me I'm only holding about 30% Canadian investments.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Franks Happy Place posted:

U.S. dollar denominated equity indexes being one of the eSeries funds = ticket to passive riches. You can get exposure to a real economy AND get exposure to the Canadian dollar's inevitable grind downwards!

I went with US$ sector index funds so I could pretend to be a trader and occasionally need to rebalance, but similar idea. ETFs are a miracle product.

Canadian banks are still going gangbusters though, but it is the only sector worth investing (may not be worth investing in now) in, in the Canadian market.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

ocrumsprug posted:

I went with US$ sector index funds so I could pretend to be a trader and occasionally need to rebalance, but similar idea. ETFs are a miracle product.

Canadian banks are still going gangbusters though, but it is the only sector worth investing (may not be worth investing in now) in, in the Canadian market.

I have zero interest in playing chicken with Canada's housing bubble. U.S. equities are plenty successful enough, thank you.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

I have zero interest in playing chicken with Canada's housing bubble. U.S. equities are plenty successful enough, thank you.

Yeah that bit about the Canadian banks should read more:

Canadian banks are still doing great, :psyduck: At least Canada has one industry right? :rolleyes:

and less:

Canadian banks are a great investment. :circlefap:

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Besides looking at TD's info online, where can I find out more about this (in the Canadian finance thread?)

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

JawKnee posted:

Besides looking at TD's info online, where can I find out more about this (in the Canadian finance thread?)

Yeah, the Canadian finance thread.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Oh shiiiiiit

https://twitter.com/BenRabidoux/status/509119707346378752

Cmhc gonna force banks to pay deductibles on mortgage insurance

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Hahahaha this country's gonna fuckin burn.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Guess I'll rebalancing away from Canadian equity this year...

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Canadians are financially responsible which is why their debt to income ratio has ballooned over the last decade, even exceeding the worst of the US bubble.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

etalian posted:

Canadians are financially responsible which is why their debt to income ratio has ballooned over the last decade, even exceeding the worst of the US bubble.

That's right bruh. Also, did you know canadians have been paying down their debt faster in recent months? You know, to reduce that 1.64 to 1 ratio.

:smugdog:

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Oh shiiiiiit

https://twitter.com/BenRabidoux/status/509119707346378752

Cmhc gonna force banks to pay deductibles on mortgage insurance

"Could"

When a sizable percentage of your economy is new builds this will probably get killed to let our strong stable economy flourish for just a couple of months longer.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

That's right bruh. Also, did you know canadians have been paying down their debt faster in recent months? You know, to reduce that 1.64 to 1 ratio.

:smugdog:

Yup, It's around 1.63 now

http://www.bnn.ca/News/2014/6/19/Household-debt-to-income-ratio-falls-on-slow-mortgage-borrowing-.aspx

rhazes
Dec 17, 2006

Reduce the rectal spread!
Use glory holes instead!

An official message from the British Columbia Centre for Disease Control

Hi, just so you're aware, TDB952 is the same as TDB902 in that you're exposed to CAD-USD currency fluctuations (meaning if USD rises, your investment will go up in relative value) There is no reason to buy the US$ version (952) over 951 unless you already had US dollars. Otherwise, you just wasted a bunch of money converting for no reason. Same with 953, but the Dow Jones is not an ideal index investment when you can invest in a more broad market index (TDB951.)

For those confused, the 4 e-series to hold are (from http://www.tdcanadatrust.com/products-services/investing/mutual-funds/td-eseries-funds.jsp?tab=what-does-td-offer).
Canadian bond index - e (TDB909), Canadian index - e (TDB900), TD international index - e (TDB911), and TD US index - e (TDB902). The others are pretty much junk offerings if you're trying to passive, broad market index invest.

Sorry for the derail, I just don't want people to be misinformed.

E- wrote the wrong code for US index e

rhazes fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Sep 9, 2014

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

rhazes posted:

Hi, just so you're aware, TDB952 is the same as TDB951 in that you're exposed to CAD-USD currency fluctuations (meaning if USD rises, your investment will go up in relative value) There is no reason to buy the US$ version (952) over 951 unless you already had US dollars. Otherwise, you just wasted a bunch of money converting for no reason. Same with 953, but the Dow Jones is not an ideal index investment when you can invest in a more broad market index (TDB951.)

For those confused, the 4 e-series to hold are (from http://www.tdcanadatrust.com/products-services/investing/mutual-funds/td-eseries-funds.jsp?tab=what-does-td-offer).
Canadian bond index - e (TDB909), Canadian index - e (TDB900), TD international index - e (TDB911), and TD US index - e (TDB951). The others are pretty much junk offerings if you're trying to passive, broad market index invest.

Probably the most useful post in this thread.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Baronjutter posted:

God drat I wish I was smart enough to figure out self-directed investment. My stupid investments run by a dude who takes a huge percent have been doing pretty ok though. Last time we talked I told him I'd like to minimize my exposure to Canadian banks and dollar and he told me a banking/housing crash in canada wouldn't be bad and might even send stocks up but at least told me I'm only holding about 30% Canadian investments.

Managerial fees in this country are loving criminal.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

rhazes posted:

Hi, just so you're aware, TDB952 is the same as TDB951 in that you're exposed to CAD-USD currency fluctuations (meaning if USD rises, your investment will go up in relative value) There is no reason to buy the US$ version (952) over 951 unless you already had US dollars. Otherwise, you just wasted a bunch of money converting for no reason. Same with 953, but the Dow Jones is not an ideal index investment when you can invest in a more broad market index (TDB951.)

Canadian bond index - e (TDB909), Canadian index - e (TDB900), TD international index - e (TDB911), and TD US index - e (TDB951). The others are pretty much junk offerings if you're trying to passive, broad market index invest.

I assume you are referring to 902, which is the Canadian dollar denominated version of TDB952, but... yeah. Plus, why are you talking about "currency fluctuations" when the entire point of that investment is to get assets in a non Canadian dollar denominated investment? You are taking the central feature of that product and making it sound like a problem.

Also, advising people to pick up a Canadian index in the context of a conversation where people are asking how to diversify out of Canadian indexes is also Not Helpful.

Also, this isn't the thread for this conversation, and my post in this thread wasn't investing advice because this isn't the investing advice thread.

rhazes
Dec 17, 2006

Reduce the rectal spread!
Use glory holes instead!

An official message from the British Columbia Centre for Disease Control

I assume you are referring to 902, which is the Canadian dollar denominated version of TDB952, but... yeah. Plus, why are you talking about "currency fluctuations" when the entire point of that investment is to get assets in a non Canadian dollar denominated investment? You are taking the central feature of that product and making it sound like a problem.

Also, advising people to pick up a Canadian index in the context of a conversation where people are asking how to diversify out of Canadian indexes is also Not Helpful.

Also, this isn't the thread for this conversation, and my post in this thread wasn't investing advice because this isn't the investing advice thread.

Whoops, I meant 902. Diversify implies still possessing it to some, but a more-limited extent. I'll be honest, I was worried your post would convince someone that the key to avoiding the Canadian market was simply converting your money to US dollars and buying investments with USD, which could be an expensive misstep and that is the only reason I am posting this here.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

Index investing is your friend and takes most of the guesswork out of stock picking.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

ocrumsprug posted:

Yeah that bit about the Canadian banks should read more:

Canadian banks are still doing great, :psyduck: At least Canada has one industry right? :rolleyes:

and less:

Canadian banks are a great investment. :circlefap:

5 industries.

Banking, mining, housing, forestry, and commtel / tech.

Other than that we're pretty poo poo though.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Kalenn Istarion posted:

5 industries.

And each of those industries is incredibly, incredibly crippled (if not knocking on deaths door) in their own special ways. :v:

Banking & Housing just haven't driven off the cliff like the other three yet.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Kalenn Istarion posted:

5 industries.

I wouldn't really call banking an "industry".

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I wouldn't call Canadian commtel/tech an industry, either.

Just say Blackberry. :unsmigghh:

Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK
Nortel.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
HOOTSUITE LOL

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Got it.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Jives. Canadian Economy is built on non-payment of workers these days, after all. :smuggo:

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Within a 50 meter radius of where I am right now, there are at least 5 (probably more) companies with a valuation/market cap of 2-40x that of the crown jewel of the SILICON VALLEY NORTH startup scene. I was back in Vancouver the other week and talking with a friend and she was telling me about all of the amazing perks that Hootsuite employees get (she doesn't work there but had been to the office). I didn't have the heart to tell her what the offices at places like AirBnB were like.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

blah_blah posted:

Within a 50 meter radius of where I am right now, there are at least 5 (probably more) companies with a valuation/market cap of 2-40x that of the crown jewel of the SILICON VALLEY NORTH startup scene. I was back in Vancouver the other week and talking with a friend and she was telling me about all of the amazing perks that Hootsuite employees get (she doesn't work there but had been to the office). I didn't have the heart to tell her what the offices at places like AirBnB were like.

A family member is an employee there and regales me with stories about their fabulous Christmas parties. Ryan fuckhead Holmes rents out all of a resort in Harrison hot springs!

What a great guy right! Spends a shitload of money on a Xmas party and pays his employees dirt.

This particular family member thinks he's hot poo poo.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

blah_blah posted:

hahaha I work at a university and I make more than that

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

What kind of executive earns just 33k?? That's like what an assistant manager at McDonald's makes.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Ben rabidoux's Twitter is a buzz about tanking Winnipeg, Saskatoon, Ottawa. Maritimes housing markets.

https://twitter.com/BenRabidoux/status/509690983773405185

Read the whole series for the schadenfreude.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
For places like the prairies and the east coast, it is certainly true that real estate market isn't the pinnacle of health but prices there haven't spiked as bad as they have in other markets and that means buying isn't a bad choice. It could actually be a good one.

For instance, in Moncton you can get a 1542 sq ft house for less than $70,000. On a 25 year mortgage at a really terrible rate, that's still less than $400 a month. From a quick check on kijiji, the cheapest rent for a two bedroom place I found was $550, most were over $700 a month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Antifreeze Head posted:

For places like the prairies and the east coast, it is certainly true that real estate market isn't the pinnacle of health but prices there haven't spiked as bad as they have in other markets and that means buying isn't a bad choice. It could actually be a good one.

For instance, in Moncton you can get a 1542 sq ft house for less than $70,000. On a 25 year mortgage at a really terrible rate, that's still less than $400 a month. From a quick check on kijiji, the cheapest rent for a two bedroom place I found was $550, most were over $700 a month.

Don't forget the $100 a month in property taxes, plus whatever utilities, services and maintenance in Moncton will run you.

There is also the troubling aspect that you are suggesting anyone would choose to live in Moncton (or New Brunswick for that matter.)