Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

TheJoker138 posted:

She shows up, then there's a cut to her standing over Thanos' body with Captain America congratulating her on single handedly defeating what is most definitely the real Thanos, not a clone, robot, alternate universe version, etc.

They then look up and see Thanos escaping in the THANOS COPTER!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

Emma Watson is what runs trivia teams.
Guardians now holds a record that no other Marvel movie has held. Four weekends as #1 at the box office. Although non-consecutive, The Avengers and Captain America: The Winter Soldier only managed 3 weekends at #1.

It also has grossed $6 million more than Iron Man in their first 38 days

In addition to that, here's some concept art of Xandar:

Source: http://olivierpron.blogspot.co.uk/2014/09/guardians-of-galaxy-published-concepts.html

rawillkill fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Sep 8, 2014

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

rawillkill posted:

Guardians now holds a record that no other Marvel movie has held. Four weekends as #1 at the box office. Although non-consecutive, The Avengers and Captain America: The Winter Soldier only managed 3 weekends at #1.
It might be lack of competition. At this moment, Guardians is the only good thing at the box office.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

TheJoker138 posted:

She shows up, then there's a cut to her standing over Thanos' body with Captain America congratulating her on single handedly defeating what is most definitely the real Thanos, not a clone, robot, alternate universe version, etc.

Well technically the writer that wrote that did retcon it out.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Deadpool posted:

Well technically the writer that wrote that did retcon it out.

I thought GLA was on the wrong side of Marvel canon anyway, over in the It's Funny So It Didn't Happen Zone with Next Wave?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Harime Nui posted:

I thought GLA was on the wrong side of Marvel canon anyway, over in the It's Funny So It Didn't Happen Zone with Next Wave?

Nextwave definitely happened, as Machine Man had his Nextwave personality up until about last year in a bunch of other appearances.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Here's the Japanese trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwwzQvFoVzE

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That's some weird rear end poo poo.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

AHHH-HAA AAA HAA-AAA

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

davidspackage posted:

AHHH-HAA AAA HAA-AAA

That's a fake laugh :jerkbag:

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

If ever there was a movie for the translators to just go to town and write their own jokes

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Can anyone translate what the announcer is saying?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Can anyone translate what the announcer is saying?

The raccoon is the adorable mascot of the animal kingdom...

But IN SPACE, there's a raccoon like this!

Rocket: Let's gently caress 'em up.

Beware the worst raccoon in the galaxy!

Quill: Dammit, raccoon.

Rocket: I am not a raccoon!

They are the Guardians of the Galaxy!

---

On Earth, there are many different plants...

But IN SPACE, there's a mysterious tree like this!

Groot: I am Groot.

The strangest plant in the galaxy! Stay back, it's dangerous!

Rocket: Well? Say something!

Groot: I am Groot.

---

In this world there are many unfortunate things that can befall you.

But IN SPACE, there's a man who's this unlucky!

Dey: You guys are our last chance.

Quill: We're rejects!

Quill: But that changes today.

The unluckiest treasure hunter in the galaxy is going to save it!

Quill: Leave it to me!

Quill: I'm the leader here.

Rocket: You serious?

Quill: Kinda.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
That's interesting that they changed the dialogue. Has it not opened every where?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
It's interesting that the trailer still seems to have the English audio. Just subtitling is being used I guess?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
If the goal of those commercials was to get me sick of "Hooked on a Feeling," then I have to say that they did their jobs

poorly

because nothing can get me sick of that song. :colbert:

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

If the goal of those commercials was to get me sick of "Hooked on a Feeling," then I have to say that they did their jobs

poorly

because nothing can get me sick of that song. :colbert:

Not even one of the most inexplicable music videos ever?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
You make a compelling argument.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Hollismason posted:

That's interesting that they changed the dialogue. Has it not opened every where?

Humor is one of the things that translates least well so I honestly think it'd be all for the better if the Japanese translators play it fast and loose.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Japan almost never agrees with the West about what's good, but even they get that Rocket is pretty awesome.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

David Hasselhoff for Quill's dad/Starfox.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Ah, but that's the Hoff's version and not Blue Swede, which is inherently superior, unless you're in Germany.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

I fail to see how that video doesn't increase anyone's enjoyment of the song by 200%.

ubergnu
Jun 7, 2002

Failed gothic
The best part about that song is Björn Skifs reaction to topping the USA billboards again with the same song, after 40 years. He was all like 'WTF?' (he's not too proud of that song).

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

:eyepop:

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Drunk in Space posted:

But he's already Nick Fury?!

Altho I guess if Chris Evans can play multiple heroes, so can The Hoff.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
They should do a Face/Off sequel starring Evans/Hasselhoff and then after the credits Evans/Hasselhoff are revealed to be Cage/Travolta who are then approached by the real Evans/Hasselhoff and Evans/Hasselhoff are like "We'd like to talk to you about the Avengers Initiative." And then Avengers 4/the reboot/whatever can feature all four of them.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Just saw it again yesterday, and drat if it wasn't better the second time around.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Just saw it again yesterday, and drat if it wasn't better the second time around.

Yeah, I just saw it again last night. It was again awesome. One little detail I noticed was that the no-name knife guy in the prison, the one who says to Quill that he knows what the finger-across-the-neck gesture is and then denies it when Drax the Destroyer looks at him, actually MAKES the gesture through the window to Gamora when she originally goes to her cell and sits down. I'm so glad they put that in, its an incredibly fun detail that you can only catch on a second watch.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
That guy is really funny. "That was my favourite knife." :(

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

More from Japan: RR talks with a reporter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGX0ASNpqMY

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

The MSJ posted:

Christ!

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

was that animatronic? nothing moved except his head and his mouth.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Vorgen posted:

was that animatronic? nothing moved except his head and his mouth.

Yeah, apparently they considered an animatronic instead of CGI for the movie, but it freaked out James Gunn too much.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Yeah, apparently they considered an animatronic instead of CGI for the movie, but it freaked out James Gunn too much.
This just in: James Gunn hates the original Star Wars trilogy.

Sasquatch!
Nov 18, 2000

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Same here. drat if I didn't find this movie more entertaining than The Avengers.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Drunk in Space posted:

Better yet, Hasselhoff needs to have his Starcrash lightsaber and male perm or else it's a totally wasted opportunity.

http://youtu.be/sC-dwjrinK0

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Josh Lyman posted:

This just in: James Gunn hates the original Star Wars trilogy.

From what I understand the animatronic is even more terrifying in real life.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

The MSJ posted:

If GoG was a Japanese film, I'm sure they would have gone animatronic.

Rocket Raccoon looked fantastic in this movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I'm usually completely in favor of puppetry and animatronics and general traditional effects over CGI, but I will say that GotG is one of the few movies in the past like, 5 years where the CGI all felt natural and not-incredibly-jarring.

• Locked thread