Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

RatHat posted:

Why would they pressure him into doing a new series? Is Jojo not as popular as it used to be or something?

Because by not being JoJo it had a better chance of attracting new readers. At the same time, the JoJo fans knew it was JoJo in (a flimsy) disguise so they kept reading. It's win-win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Posting this here instead of the anime thread cause someone in there was wondering what a dio kars fusion would be like but gently caress if I wanna rile people up by showing Dio's outfit off lol

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Long-haired Dio should never exist unless his name is Shin.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
No fusion vest, no sale. :colbert:

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Is that a loincloth flap thing or does Dio just have a huge boner?

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

BlitzBlast posted:

No fusion vest, no sale. :colbert:

Just take the last image by itself and pretend they used the fusion earrings instead :rolleyes:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

FirstAidKite posted:

Posting this here instead of the anime thread cause someone in there was wondering what a dio kars fusion would be like but gently caress if I wanna rile people up by showing Dio's outfit off lol

Yeah, that's absolutely magnificent. Thanks pal.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Is that a loincloth flap thing or does Dio just have a huge boner?

Yes.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

I have never felt more inadequate.

fake edit: In lieu of finishing Part 6, I started reading Purple Haze Feedback and I'm really enjoying it. A plethora of interesting (all Jimi Hendrix) Stands and it's pretty cool that JoJo translated to a novel form rather well. It's also making me care about Passione characters that aren't Bruno so that's impressive.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Can I safely call SBR a Weird Western story like Phantom Blood's Gothic Horror?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I'd say so, yes. Maybe add a bit of road trip in there.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Speaking of, does anyone happen to have the map of the Steel Ball Run race on hand?

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013
This only has the starting and ending town but here you go.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

dudermcbrohan posted:

This only has the starting and ending town but here you go.

Mountain Tim was so amazing. :allears:

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Potsticker posted:

Mountain Tim was so amazing. :allears:

He really was, I wish he had been used a bit more - I loved his stand, and think it had shitloads of potential that never really was seen.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Mountain Tim was very good at keeping a low profile.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
rip Mountain Tim. A cool guy with a cool stand.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
SBR was full of cool guys. I would've loved to see more of Ringo Roadagain and Wekapipo, too.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Nahxela posted:

rip Mountain Tim. A cool guy with a cool stand.

All the Part 7 stands were cool poo poo, but Mountain Tim's was one of the coolest.

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

Mr. Maltose posted:

All the Part 7 stands were cool poo poo, but Mountain Tim's was one of the coolest.

Even Chocolate Disco?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Flython posted:

Even Chocolate Disco?

Even Chocolate Disco.

I love how Gyro's just like gently caress it I've had enough of this poo poo and takes the dude out.

A Meat
Jun 28, 2013

CERTIFIED FRESH AS HELL DOC MAKER

I wish we saw more of Pocoloco's and his fairly regular insane race experience.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

So I got too impatient to wait for the next anime episode and I decided to read the manga instead. Good stuff - I never get tired of Joseph being an idiot, so I really look forward to the Maria fight! Not to mention the insanity that the Dio fight must be animated. But seriously...

Part 4 is so much better than 3 :allears:

I got somewhat tired of the endless series of battles that was Stardust Crusaders, and I'm kinda wary how they're probably going to drag out some fights to make them 2 or even 3 episodes. Part 4 just hits the right notes for me - I'd even say the Hand dude is a greater comic relief than Polnareff! Just amazing stands all around.

...kinda felt bad for poor Joseph, though.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Torquemadras posted:

I'd even say Okuyasu is a greater comic relief than Polnareff!

Blasphemy. :colbert:

I agree with everything else, though. Part 3 was really too "Here's battle after battle after battle after battle after battle after battle." It didn't really feel like DIO was the main villain, but just another villain of the week.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Sep 11, 2014

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Stardust Crusaders is hurt by Araki not knowing really what he wanted to do, so there's a lot of experimentation and iteration without much of a story beyond "DIO is a bastard man". I still like it, as I like every part of JoJo, but it's probably next to Vento Aureo as my least favorite parts.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I liked Stardust Crusaders initially, but now I like it even more. The more Jojo I read, to more I appreciate part 3. Well, it was mainly during part 6 that I've felt this, and I think it's because part 6 didn't really have many colorful characters, relative to part 3 at least. There was a lot of serious business going around, and it gets a bit convoluted towards the end. I'm actually pretty glad Araki decided to wipe the slate clean there. Part 7 feels refreshing so far. Also Gyro Zepelli is so cool.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

hoobajoo posted:

Stardust Crusaders is hurt by Araki not knowing really what he wanted to do, so there's a lot of experimentation and iteration without much of a story beyond "DIO is a bastard man". I still like it, as I like every part of JoJo, but it's probably next to Vento Aureo as my least favorite parts.

Dio is rear end in a top hat. Why Jojo hate?

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Dio is rear end in a top hat. Why Jojo hate?

He is not cool enough to touch things.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I agree with everything else, though. Part 3 was really too "Here's battle after battle after battle after battle after battle after battle."

This is exactly what part 4 is, though?

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

darealkooky posted:

This is exactly what part 4 is, though?

You are being positively obtuse if you unironically believe this.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Pearl Jam was my favorite Part IV battle.

That's a lie though because the dice game was way better.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Uznare posted:

You are being positively obtuse if you unironically believe this.

in terms of pure volume, the bits that are fighting take up wayyyyy more then the few bits that aren't

compare that with part 3, where three entire volumes (and part 4 is longer then part 3) are spent gambling or playing videogames. Also, since there are more short fights in part 3 instead of the single dudes that take 5-10 chapters each being the standard in part 4, there's a lot more introductory bits to set up each stand user to further add to the arbitrary "time spent not fighting" number.

darealkooky fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Sep 12, 2014

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

darealkooky posted:

in terms of pure volume, the bits that are fighting take up wayyyyy more then the few bits that aren't

compare that with part 3, where three entire volumes (and part 4 is longer then part 3) are spent gambling or playing videogames.

Those are fights.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

darealkooky posted:

compare that with part 3, where three entire volumes (and part 4 is longer then part 3) are spent gambling or playing videogames. Also, since there are more short fights in part 3 instead of the single dudes that take 5-10 chapters each being the standard in part 4, there's a lot more introductory bits to set up each stand user to further add to the arbitrary "time spent not fighting" number.

lmao

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
Remember that one of the part 4 "fights" was eating in a restaurant. Lots of battles in part 4 were not actually about punching each other.

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud

darealkooky posted:

Wait if you don't count the D'Arby chapters as battles in their own special Jojo way, how do you count a lot of the fights in part 4 as such?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Pearl Jam is unironically one of the best stories in Part 4. :colbert:

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

DICKS FOR DINNER posted:

Wait if you don't count the D'Arby chapters as battles in their own special Jojo way, how do you count a lot of the fights in part 4 as such?

This pretty much, those "non fights" in part 3 have real lives at stake. A lot of part 4 is spent doing poo poo like "getting hella paid" and "scamming an egomaniac" and other dumb things teens do.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
In all fairness, Part 4 has the main villain straight-up acting like a Scooby-Doo, Where Are You? character while trying to retrieve an important item. That's really hard to top.

hoobajoo posted:

I still think that Vento Aureo is easily as good as both Battle Tendency and Steel Ball Run but that it suffers greatly from a really half-assed translation. When I finally got my hands on the Part 5 volumes, I feel that the only thing the fan translations didn't utterly gently caress up was just how badass Bruno is. I sincerely hope that the official translations they're making for Phantom Blood and Battle Tendency are successful enough to pave the way for Part 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

couwy
Nov 9, 2009

~just feels good~

Uznare posted:

This pretty much, those "non fights" in part 3 have real lives at stake. A lot of part 4 is spent doing poo poo like "getting hella paid" and "scamming an egomaniac" and other dumb things teens do.

Yeah there's lots of "down time" in part 4 post-Kira's introduction where Stands are used in more fun and interesting ways over just straight up fighting enemies that bombard the heroes like in part 3.

• Locked thread