Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Your title was so old it used HTML which isn't even allowed in titles anymore what the hell

Bicyclops posted:

Maybe I'm just misremembering who you are, sorry!

I'm going to loving wreck you on Pokefloats 2 for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

I hope GameStop does a midnight release.
I like my cartridges.

Lon Lon Rabbit
Mar 27, 2006
Here comes a special boy!
The CPU doesn't really know what to do against villager's trees... Just kind of walks into it or shoots it from a distance (the tree is a nice projectile shield if you're on the other side of it) then slowly walks up to it as you chop it down onto their head.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Everything about Mega Man is perfect but his audio is really just the best. It's all the sound effects from the games those robot master powers came from, and whenever he jumps and lands it makes the little bleep, and man it is just the biggest nostalgia trip I've seen in Smash Bros period.

Sonic and Pac-Man are pretty alright, they're important enough historically for games to earn their spot, but Mega Man is like a loving tribute to that character's glory days. A modern update of the character that's still as accurate to his 8-bit appearance as possible. The kind of modern/classic hybrid update of a character that everyone hopes for when stuff gets rebooted but we never see done correctly. And somehow they pulled it off.

Please Capcom, give Sakurai a team to make a new Mega Man game with the same creative freedom to reimagine the series he had on Kid Icarus Uprising. You know he'd create something with a huge scale but really solid, focused gameplay. And probably use dozens of robot masters. It could pull some seriously good sales numbers. :megaman:

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Mega Man is not worth Sakurai's talents.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Space T Rex posted:

I'm going to loving wreck you on Pokefloats 2 for this.

Wait in line, bub! Lots of other people have to wreck me first! :smug:

edit: wait, that's no good!

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster
Honestly, Capcom should just sell the IP to Nintendo for a fat lump sum. It's not like their floundering asses are going to take a chance on it ever again.

mabels big day posted:

FIGHT ME

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Guys we're only 48 hours away from the Japanese midnight release.

The excitement is killing me! :dance:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Does Capcom do mobile phone games? I'm surprised they haven't gone the Square Enix route and just found ways to sell their old products through Apple or whatever, although I suppose Mega Man is a little harder to control on a phone than Final Fantasy.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Bicyclops posted:

Does Capcom do mobile phone games? I'm surprised they haven't gone the Square Enix route and just found ways to sell their old products through Apple or whatever, although I suppose Mega Man is a little harder to control on a phone than Final Fantasy.

They have.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

JordanKai posted:

Guys we're only 48 hours away from the Japanese midnight release.

The excitement is killing me! :dance:

As hype as people are for the demo streams, seeing the real game in action, watching people go through classic mode and unlock new characters/gear/outfits/trophies/stages, that's going to be a hell of a livestream weekend. By the time we get to the US launch I bet we'll see some really good high-level fights between Duck Hunt and Bowser Jr and all sorts of weird entirely new poo poo.

And Nintendo's kicking it off themselves with that eight hour reveal stream. I hope the Treehouse guys get in-depth with what they know about all the currently unrevealed characters, because it would be nice to see some really basic combos from the new characters. And if there's some that didn't show up in the leak, people are going to lose their minds again.

Bicyclops posted:

They've ported Mega Man 2 to just about everything. I played it on my regular rear end cellphone before iPhones even existed, which was a terrible port, but they haven't stopped porting it constantly. They also made that weird iOS Mega Man Xover game that nobody likes. And a SUPER lovely port of Mega Man X to iOS that cut out like half the animation frames and did a bunch of other weird stuff that made it look awful.

There's also basically all the NES and GB games (and those obscure GBC Mega Man X ports) available on the 3DS Virtual Console, and at some point I'm going to be a crazy person and buy them all because having that whole library playable on the go with savestates and stuff sounds pretty good.

Sea Lily fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Sep 10, 2014

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster

Bicyclops posted:

Go to youtube and look up Rockman xOver. Bring a vom bag, though.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

mabels big day posted:

I agree

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Bicyclops posted:

Capcom's released 3 Mega Man games on iOS. They're all terrible. Two are ports (Mega Man 2 and X, THEY'RE loving GARBAGE) and the third literally is just a game of jumping and shooting.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Hobo Siege posted:

You can also look up Mega Man X for iOS. Bring another vom bag.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Hobo Siege posted:

Yeah, this looks like wet garbage, but I bet if they sell it at an okay price, it probably earns them enough money that they wouldn't dream of selling the IP. I think Retro or someone could make a great Mega Man game, but what can you do?

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Bicyclops posted:

Yeah, this looks like wet garbage, but I bet if they sell it at an okay price, it probably earns them enough money that they wouldn't dream of selling the IP. I think Retro or someone could make a great Mega Man game, but what can you do?

A team of former Retro devs was actually working on a new Mega Man FPS series based loosely on X and inspired by Metroid Prime that ended up getting canceled before getting too deep into development.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKlYyLZKllY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4fMhjfAYso

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Kelp Plankton posted:

A team of former Retro devs was actually working on a new Mega Man FPS series based loosely on X and inspired by Metroid Prime that ended up getting canceled before getting too deep into development.

I want them to go back to doing this, but to add the terrible voice-acting and wacky plot from Mega Man Legends.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kelp Plankton posted:

Honestly, that looks kind of crap. I realize it's early stuff but the art direction looks so boring.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Kelp Plankton posted:

That's what was going to save the Mega Man franchise, a Bomberman Act Zero.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Bicyclops posted:

They already had several competent external studios working on good, inexpensive, well-received MM games but after Keiji Inafune left Capcom they cancelled everything and left MM to rot. That's a big part of why Inafune's Kickstarter raised so much money - people wanted a new MM-esque game, sure, but they also wanted to stick it to Capcom for being idiots.

Lon Lon Rabbit
Mar 27, 2006
WOOOOAAAAHHH didn't realise Villager didn't even have to be facing the right way to pocket stuff.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Kelp Plankton posted:

Pretty sure these assholes went on to do that extremely disappointing handheld Arkham "metroidvania" spinoff. It had the worst map of a 2D space I have ever seen. gently caress those dudes.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Lon Lon Rabbit posted:

WOOOOAAAAHHH didn't realise Villager didn't even have to be facing the right way to pocket stuff.

Villager doesnt even need to have been picked

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

For how much I've disliked reflect/counter moves in the past Smash Bros games (I just never get the timing down reliably), Villager's pocket move sounds absolutely amazing and like it's going to make him one of the most fun characters in the game.

codenameFANGIO posted:

Pretty sure these assholes went on to do that extremely disappointing handheld Arkham "metroidvania" spinoff. It had the worst map of a 2D space I have ever seen. gently caress those dudes.

I haven't played Batman: Arkham Origins: Blackgate: The Video Game yet but their Mega Man reboot looked really bland, even if it was pretty early. I hope people aren't confusing me bringing it up as interesting with me actually being enthusiastic about that team or footage, because haha no.

Sea Lily fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Sep 10, 2014

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I want to play this game right now

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
What there's a demo coming out?? :aaa:

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Average Bear posted:

What there's a demo coming out?? :aaa:

I'm betting on a release September 30th or so. :911:

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
http://www.twitch.tv/shofu - good quality stream just started up.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I wanna see a Villager pocketing Robin's Thoron.

Lon Lon Rabbit
Mar 27, 2006
guys

this

game

When the crowd cheers for you it sounds like a whole stadium instead of 3 or 4 people like last time.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Argh okay I'll try the demo and if it does not make my hands explode I juuuuust miggghht buy both versions like an idiot. That and if some kind of save-transferring option is included would definitely make me rethink things.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Lon Lon Rabbit posted:

guys

this

game

When the crowd cheers for you it sounds like a whole stadium instead of 3 or 4 people like last time.
I never got this complaint, it sounded like a stadium last time too. Unless you were playing as Luigi.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Why is this japan only c'mon sakurai

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Average Bear posted:

Why is this japan only c'mon sakurai

We're getting it in the US but we don't know when yet.

If I had to guess, probably the wednesday before the game releases just like it happened in Japan. If we're lucky, before the end of this month.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

it's leaking...

Chibs
Jun 28, 2004

bring it back :guillotine:
aw yeah this is happenin'

- sonic, playstation all-stars, 2014

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

The Bee posted:

Honestly I don't mind Megaman getting an emergency combo escape button, given that he's a primarily ranged focus character who seems like he'll be eaten alive by most combos. Besides, it adds an element of strategy: do you predict the jump and try to take the fight to the air, or stick with the ground battle and possibly let him escape?

It can totally be a balance thing, but it's not really a layer of strategy in the vast majority of cases. I don't know if you've seen it, but MM's up-B goes really high really fast, and he can act after it (including his incredibly disjointed down-air); Few, if any, characters have the vertical mobility to chase after that, let alone to punish it in any meaningful way since the best you'll get for most people is hitting with the tip of their up-B which is a much riskier thing since those moves typically do not allow you to act after and then you're in the sky next to a guy who can.

There's characters who are pretty impossible to juggle in every Smash game, including my one true love Project Other Melee (zelda, samus, probably others), so I don't mind that much, but it's not really worth pretending it's some pro mind game stuff.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Excels posted:

it's leaking...

That's nothing we've seen before yet right? Is that like a Pikmin stage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
I hope that for mii fighters drawn from those you've made, you get to choose what type they are. I have a Roy I want as a Swordfigher, a Snake I want to be a Gunner, and a Mewtwo who can be a Brawler I guess.

• Locked thread