Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Selachian posted:

I dunno. Maybe it's like Unseen University's Librarian, who decided he liked being an orangutan better than a person.
Ook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

muscles like this? posted:

There was another Inhuman guy who had teleporting powers but it involved going into his giant mouth.

Oh yeah, I know who that is.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
While we're on Lockjaw, has it ever been explained how he came to be tine buddies with Black(agar) Bolt(agon) (*snicker*)? Do the Mists just tack poo poo to your forehead for kicks (I mean, I'm pretty sure BB just wears his on his KING SUIT, though I've never seen him without it).

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Selachian posted:

I dunno. Maybe it's like Unseen University's Librarian, who decided he liked being an orangutan better than a person.
'Now I can crap wherever I want!' :smugdog:

WickedHate posted:

Oh yeah, I know who that is.

Hey, I never knew that the Ninja Turtles hung out with Groot.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

muscles like this? posted:

There was another Inhuman guy who had teleporting powers but it involved going into his giant mouth.

I do have to wonder how they discovered that superpower after he developed it.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Pastry of the Year posted:

It may or may not surprise you to learn that that was a John Byrne decision.

ETA: EVERYTHING YOU COULD EVER WANT TO KNOW ABOUT LOCKJAW (who I love, don't get me wrong)

As I recall, editorial ordered Peter David to retcon that in an issue of X-Factor, and he did. (He had Quicksilver say it was all a prank on Ben Grimm, I guess because the Inhumans are dicks.)

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
That actually sounds like a pretty funny prank. Grimm playing with lockjaw, "Look, he thinks he's people! Aww!" Medusa comes up behind him, "Actually he was a person. Way to be an rear end in a top hat, Ben."

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

It would be a funny prank, except it happened when Quicksilver decided his daughter couldn't be human and planned to expose her to the mists, triggering these scenes:

Which at least are a good fit for this thread.

(not entirely sure on the source of this comic except it came out in 1983; X-Factor is #71 from 1991)

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
The Terrigen mists are a russian roulette of powers, for every super strong guy you get that guy with a dick for a nose or whatever. I remember that being a big part of the Jae Lee series was that yea, their not all useful.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
So, apparently at some point in-between someone let Quicksilver in on the secret. I wonder how he felt about that?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

First Bass posted:

While we're on Lockjaw, has it ever been explained how he came to be tine buddies with Black(agar) Bolt(agon) (*snicker*)? Do the Mists just tack poo poo to your forehead for kicks (I mean, I'm pretty sure BB just wears his on his KING SUIT, though I've never seen him without it).

Yeah BB's is a part of his costume. There was some panel a few years ago (maybe secret invasion era) I recall where he's hood less and fighting some skrull, and whispers in his ear after dodging a punch. I want to say he has a full head of hair as well.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

He looks like a normal dude with dark hair. He wandered around New York with amnesia, and Magneto tried to trick him into joining the Brotherhood.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It's funny to me how Black Bolt used to be mostly an insanely strong guy who very rarely spoke a single whisper in moments of crisis to unleash insane power that cannot be contained, but now yelling at people is like his first and only move in any fight.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Well, to be fair, after a certain point wouldn't you get tired of the bullshit and start curb stomping threats instead of holding back?

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Or you know, scream into a funnel to power a space ship.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Saoshyant posted:

It would be a funny prank, except it happened when Quicksilver decided his daughter couldn't be human and planned to expose her to the mists, triggering these scenes:

Which at least are a good fit for this thread.

(not entirely sure on the source of this comic except it came out in 1983; X-Factor is #71 from 1991)

Yeah, I get the impression the trick, such as it was was actually for Pietro's benefit to stop him from exposing his daughter to the mists (since they couldn't just tell him to gently caress off because blah blah blah Inhuman patriarchy, since Crystal didn't want it either). and he's covering it up by saying it was actually just a prank on Ben. Heck,, Madrox says that Pietro would have been fooled if someone had done the same thing to him, and he was there.

Besides, Lockjaw and the Pet Avengers proves he is sentient, anyway.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

CzarChasm posted:

Yeah BB's is a part of his costume. There was some panel a few years ago (maybe secret invasion era) I recall where he's hood less and fighting some skrull, and whispers in his ear after dodging a punch. I want to say he has a full head of hair as well.

If I recall, Black Bolt's tuning fork is a means to more effectively channel his psionic control over whatever particle it is he manipulates. I'll check when I get home.

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!
It's to absorb ambient electrons, which increases his power.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Benito Cereno posted:

Smartass Inhuman account spotted.

Best thing about the Inhumans is that they just wear superhero clothes 24/7. Tuning fork headpiece? Why not.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
The Inhumans trade where their against the US , had a throw away sentence about Black Bolt manipulating atoms or something.

Black Bolt has more powers than just " Flies fast, Yells".

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

Benito Cereno posted:

I finally got a chance to find his OHOTMU entry. I couldn't find anything more recent.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

CzarChasm posted:

He does. You see him outside of costume at the very beginning of Infinity.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

From Deadpool #34. The recent Original Sin tie-in storyline had a SHIELD agent see a vision of Deadpool killing his parents. The context has been kept under wraps, making us think that Wade simply killed them because he's a hosed up monster. Instead, we get a 90's flashback issue where we see that Dr. Butler has been messing with Deadpool's head a lot and as a test to see how well he's rewritten Deadpool's mind, he sends Deadpool and Sabretooth on an assignment to murder Wade's parents. Sabretooth, while not spilling the truth, actually tries to talk Deadpool into letting this job slide. Deadpool goes through with it anyway.

I'd post the whole segment of Deadpool walking through his own childhood home before burning it to the ground, but it's too many pages. Suffice to say, it's haunting and at one point you see Deadpool sitting on his old bed while playing with a baseball mitt before getting up to finish the job.

To give an idea of how messed up all of this is, even Sabretooth shows a brief moment of pity.

Once that's done with, Deadpool's tracked down by Carmelita, his baby's momma. He mentioned this in passing many issues ago, saying that Carmelita wanted child support and Deadpool coldly told her to go gently caress off. Now we see the truth.

Kind of want to go reread Butler's death sequence again. :smith:

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I remember that Cable and Deadpool portrayed a different version of Wade's father dying on him, was it retconned then?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Schneider Heim posted:

I remember that Cable and Deadpool portrayed a different version of Wade's father dying on him, was it retconned then?

Cable/Deadpool's take was a retcon in itself, but yeah, there's an explanation.

Butler was obsessed with harvesting Deadpool's organs for experimentation and when Deadpool was no longer willing to be his guinea pig (which happens on the very next page of that above sequence), Butler regularly had him kidnapped and put under while he harvested more organs. To keep him from escaping or catching on to what was constantly happening to him, Butler's people implanted all sorts of false memories in his head. False backstory, false adventures, etc. Other than stuff involving his parents, we don't know what that entails, leaving it all up in the air, but also getting past the parts of his backstory that don't match up.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
From 9-11: Artists Respond: Volume 1.

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
Wow. I've not been the biggest fan of Moore's more recent work, but I'm sitting in here in tears. Thanks for sharing.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Familiar to many, but just read the whole thing instead of skipping over it from familiarity like I do:

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Senior Woodchuck posted:

As I recall, editorial ordered Peter David to retcon that in an issue of X-Factor, and he did. (He had Quicksilver say it was all a prank on Ben Grimm, I guess because the Inhumans are dicks.)

Peter David said that he did it this way so that if you want to believe Quicksilver is making up bullshit to soothe his own ego, you can.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Pastry of the Year posted:

It may or may not surprise you to learn that that was a John Byrne decision.

ETA: EVERYTHING YOU COULD EVER WANT TO KNOW ABOUT LOCKJAW (who I love, don't get me wrong)

This whole site, BTW, is really wild. It's everything I like about the pre-social media internet.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

This whole site, BTW, is really wild. It's everything I like about the pre-social media internet.

the lack of comments section? or how the information is presented with no e-personality input

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

From Injustice: Year Two #24, the final issue of this volume. In the first year, Superman killed Green Arrow with his bare hands. The second year centers around Sinestro, Hal Jordan, Guy Gardner and Black Canary. Sinestro and Hal Jordan are in the video game while the other two aren't, so that's not a good sign for Guy and Canary. Dinah is pregnant at the beginning of the year and later gives birth to Connor. A huge battle takes place of Batman's heroes and the Green Lantern Corps vs. Superman and the Sinestro Corps. Black Canary has a sweet fight with Superman, but is taken out in the end. Still, goes down like a badass.

Batman tells everyone to retreat because there's no way they can win. As he mentions that Canary's dead, we see Zatanna holding the baby with Dr. Fate looking on. The comic ends on a completely dire note of Superman's side standing tall.

Then we get the epilogue.

:unsmith:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Honest Thief posted:

the lack of comments section? or how the information is presented with no e-personality input

The multiple sizes of fonts, the way the thesis is followed through to its conclusion without distraction or some random idiot's useless input, the writer has a voice instead of 'e-personality'.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Gavok posted:

Then we get the epilogue.
"Oh, right, I'm a wizard. I can salvage part of this."

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

"Oh, right, I'm a wizard. I can salvage part of this."

Love him taking off his Doctor Fate mask and addressing it when deciding to violently buck the narrative.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
drat, the art has gotten a lot better since the days of crying Sloth-Batman.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
I have no idea how they could have stuck the landing on Y2 as well as they did otherwise. That was really the perfect way to end it.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

AnonSpore posted:

I feel bad, cause that thing is horrible, but it really is the inker and coloring that fucks up decent pencils in that case.

I have not kept up with Injustice but I really like that scene. In many ways.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

AnonSpore posted:

Link please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

SlothBear posted:

Link please.