Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jamus
Feb 10, 2007

Godholio posted:

Who the hell uses the parking brake anymore
If you don't use your parking brake, how do you know when you're done driving?

Is this a regional thing? I've seen this thread mentioning people not using their parking brake before. I've never heard of anybody not using it where I live (Australia) and it just seems weird. Maybe it's because Australia has a higher percentage of manual gearboxes or something.

Jamus fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Sep 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Godholio posted:

Are you serious? This poo poo's already happening. How many people do you see actually look over their shoulder before a lane change? Who the hell uses the parking brake anymore, or checks their tire pressure or even their oil? The car will tell them when these things need to be done.

Goddamn kids...!

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Jamus posted:

Is this a regional thing? I've seen this thread mentioning people not using their parking brake before. I've never heard of anybody not using it where I live (Australia) and it just seems weird. Maybe it's because Australia has a higher percentage of manual gearboxes or something.

When I was learning manual, everyone told me to just leave the car in gear when I turn it off. I always use my parking break, but apparently everyone in my social circle doesn't bother with it

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

Godholio posted:

Are you serious? This poo poo's already happening. How many people do you see actually look over their shoulder before a lane change? Who the hell uses the parking brake anymore, or checks their tire pressure or even their oil? The car will tell them when these things need to be done.

People already never did any of those things before anyone could even dream of lights in the dash or cameras in a car.

tiny gif I had laying around:

good bye rear axle

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
seatbelts and fuckin' airbags are stupid too because u shouldn't be crashing. :jerkbag:

Driving is an enjoyable experience; so is training and riding a good horse. But to most people, just like it happened before, they were a necessary evil for getting around.

Just because we're slowly phasing out driver interaction on the road isn't always a negative -- most people just don't give a poo poo, even when they don't have all the aids on the cars. Traffic accidents are still getting less fatal per driven mile, so that's a net plus. Maybe it's drivers actually being better, or more likely, the cars are becoming safer.

Sorry, it's not very AI to say aloud that we're likely seeing the twilight of the car as we've known it for the last 80 years, but it's probably for the better. We'll never fully get rid of the necessity for some driving skill, at least, not for a long time, but most people will never even touch the controls of their Audi RSQ's and Lexus 2054's.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

razorscooter posted:

People already never did any of those things before anyone could even dream of lights in the dash or cameras in a car.

tiny gif I had laying around:

good bye rear axle

Psh, rear axles, who needs em.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

The Door Frame posted:

When I was learning manual, everyone told me to just leave the car in gear when I turn it off. I always use my parking break, but apparently everyone in my social circle doesn't bother with it

Do you not have hills or something?

I'm still amazed at how some people consider using the parking brake to do a hill start in a manual car a 'trick' - it isn't a god damned trick it is how you are supposed to be taught to drive.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

dissss posted:

Chicago, brother. All flat, all the time

dissss posted:

I'm still amazed at how some people consider using the parking brake to do a hill start in a manual car a 'trick' - it isn't a god damned trick it is how you are supposed to be taught to drive.

I killed my car almost 10 times on a hill with a stop light before I learned that the hand brake can be used in place of the real brake because I don't have 3 loving feet and the guy behind me kept freaking me out by creeping up on me.

This weekend I have to fix the wiring on my girlfriend's dying 1992 525i. Again. If you guys hang out in the stupid questions thread, you might remember the awfulness, but now I'll finally have pictures for this thread

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Just to talk quick abouy backup cam chat again.
I think ford did it right in their trucks... screen in rearview. Basically still looking at surroundings and the screen together.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

tater_salad posted:

Just to talk quick abouy backup cam chat again.
I think ford did it right in their trucks... screen in rearview. Basically still looking at surroundings and the screen together.

Those drive me loving insane. I'm already looking in the rearview mirror when I shift to reverse, and suddenly half the loving thing is really bright screen and I have to either move sideways to re-gain my viewing area, or give up and ignore the part that isn't camera feed. The mirror itself is also overall significantly dimmer than a traditional one, which sucks all day and not just when backing up.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Jamus posted:

The only people I know who use their parking brake are the small few who drive manuals. No one else ever does. I set it all the time, but have to remind myself not to when driving someone else's car or they will make it half way down the block before taking it off.

If someone else drives my car, half the time it's parked not in gear, parking brake only. The other half it's only in gear, no parking brake.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
I think this topic has been done to death in the past but I still can't believe there are people out there that don't use the handbrake.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
I use mine even though Oklahoma doesn't have hills.

But what are the odds really that your car is going to try and roll away when you get out?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Tactical Bonnet posted:

I use mine even though Oklahoma doesn't have hills.

But what are the odds really that your car is going to try and roll away when you get out?

Considering the tiny little nubbin of metal that holds the car in place when it's in "P," I'm surprised it's not more common.

Seriously, the entire weight of the car is sitting on a tab that's maybe the size of a fingernail.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

dissss posted:

That's fine and dandy when it's a handbrake.

When it's a lovely push through foot brake like most cars/trucks here had? Yeah right.

That's a loving mechanical failure and terrible car poo poo all at once.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Preoptopus posted:

Mandatory on every car sold in the US starting 2018.

So they're bad because they're becoming mandatory?

I don't think they should be made mandatory, but there should be some sort of rear visibility standard and if it can't be achieved with traditional mirrors then yes a backup cam is a great way to make up the rest. It's not like a camera and a small LCD actually cost much these days, and again you're only gaining information about your surroundings that you did not and could not have had before.

iwentdoodie posted:

That's fine and dandy when it's a handbrake.

When it's a lovely push through foot brake like most cars/trucks here had? Yeah right.

That's a loving mechanical failure and terrible car poo poo all at once.

Ugh, my Ranger had four pedals. What a hateful design that was. Hand brakes are definitely the superior option.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Yeah, good luck modulating that stupid foot brake if your main brakes give out. It's gonna lock to the floor and you're going to spin out.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
I teach driver's ed and I can assure you that these new gadgets like backup cameras, blindspot sensors, and other supposedly convenient gizmos on cars are making people more lazy and in turn, my students. I had to have a serious discussion about why the backup camera is not to be depended on. Not to mention there's a goddamn commercial where a driver who almost gets her entirely family killed because she's not looking out the back window, but instead at the dumb camera and they call it "a life saver".

And the handbrake, ugh, cannot get it out of people's heads that it is not an "emergency brake", but a parking brake and to be used each time the car is parked. Honestly its more of the parents showing terrible habits that the kids pick up, which I know that once they're done with my class, they'll go back to having. The worst is making sure kids come to complete stops at freaking stop sign lines/crosswalks or intersections. I can go on and on about the classes alone.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Why use the handbrake when moving uphill from a dead stop when you can just rev to 4k and dump the clutch?? :v:

I have never not used the parking brake in my manual car, but I don't think I've ever seen anyone I know who drives an automatic use it in theirs. I guess people have a lot of faith in their parking pawl (as if they have any loving clue what a parking pawl is).

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I don't see anything wrong with using the parking pawl UNLESS you're on an incline in which case you're an idiot if you fail to use the parking brake (and turn your wheels in).

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
If you're parked uphill WITH a curb, wheels go away from the curb. If there's no curb, you turn them in. If you got the curbs, put the car into neutral (or hold the clutch in) and have the car roll forward or backward a tad to have the tire bump up against the curb. Put in park, set the parking brake.

Of course this fails to get through a lot of people's heads here in Illinois because we have very little hills to worry about, but I'm not taking the risk.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

The Midniter posted:

Why use the handbrake when moving uphill from a dead stop when you can just rev to 4k and dump the clutch?? :v:

I have never not used the parking brake in my manual car, but I don't think I've ever seen anyone I know who drives an automatic use it in theirs. I guess people have a lot of faith in their parking pawl (as if they have any loving clue what a parking pawl is).

"Well, it says park, so doesn't it activate the parking brake?" :downs:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I can't think of a single hill in all of the Chicago metropolis that has parking on it. Granted I haven't been to every single street but it is goddamn flat out here.

I cut my teeth in Seattle. :getin:

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
I want something like this for my car:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fZ0jwTUNuI

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

SEKCobra posted:

I want something like this for my car:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fZ0jwTUNuI

And in the backing-in examples, the guy STILL cant get it right on the first try. :v:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Jamus posted:

Parking brake's more important with an automatic, not less. Leave your manual parked and in gear with the brake off and you need to turn the engine to get the car to move. Leave your automatic parked with the brake off and the only thing stopping it from rolling's the tiny pawl that locks the output shaft to the transmission casing. People are just dumb.

I'm not sure why it's controversial that people adjust their behavior to maintain the same level of perceived risk. Give people seatbelts, they drive faster. Give them ABS, they don't leave as much space between them and the car ahead. It's why traffic calming works.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Screw using that for a backup camera, I want something like that to catch the assholes that put dings in my door.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Ringo Star Get posted:

Not to mention there's a goddamn commercial where a driver who almost gets her entirely family killed because she's not looking out the back window, but instead at the dumb camera and they call it "a life saver".

The rear-cross detection with automatic braking is the "life saver" they're marketing, not the hypnotic camera display that helps you splatter your whole family across the front end of a bus. But yes, that's an offensively terrible commercial.

On the other hand, it's a fantastic ad for the Better Idiot. Hmm, idiots are mowing down children in reverse. Technology solution: Mandatory backup cameras. poo poo, now those idiots are backing into traffic. Technology solution: Cross-path detection with automatic braking. I eagerly await the next development in stupidity. (I'm rooting for "speed limiting with more aggressive autobraking" as everyone starts just slamming it into reverse and gunning it. Because hey, even if I don't see it on the camera, the car will stop anyway.)

Molten Llama fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Sep 10, 2014

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

When I park, I put the car in 2nd and use the parking brake. Never used a parking brake on an automatic unless on an incline. Also, my car has hill hold, so I don't have to use the parking brake to get going on a hill, but I'm probably ruining the clutch because I can never predict when it releases.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

The Door Frame posted:

"Well, it says park, so doesn't it activate the parking brake?" :downs:

I would rather have this feature than most of the new nanny tech.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Godholio posted:

I would rather have this feature than most of the new nanny tech.

And with the rising prevalence of electric parking brakes, you'd think they could implement it fairly easily.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Molten Llama posted:

The rear-cross detection with automatic braking is the "life saver" they're marketing, not the hypnotic camera display that helps you splatter your whole family across the front end of a bus. But yes, that's an offensively terrible commercial.

One of the makers (I forget who but I want to say Mercedes or Acura) is running an ad bragging about all their safety features, and one of the sequences shows a mom on highway with the front end of a semi filling the entire loving windshield. Apparently the car magically brings her to a safe halt and she breathes a sigh of relief, looks at her kids in the back, and smiles.

I'm sorry lady, if you're on a highway and you get in front of a semi like that, you're loving paste.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Half of my cars don't have a functional parking brake. I should probably get that remedied :v:

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

The Midniter posted:

Or you know, just learn how to modulate clutch and throttle to start from a dead stop without rolling backwards while also not driving like an rear end in a top hat?

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

MomJeans420 posted:

99.9% of the people who fancy park take 5 times the time to do it as compared to just pulling in, it's awful. Always nice when higher traffic parking garages have a head in parking only sign, but that doesn't always stop it.

What the hell does this even mean? I back in to park 100% of the time and I'm faster at it than pulling in than most people. (Yes, yes, not everybody is AI, etc but still)

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

The Midniter posted:

My 1993 Subaru Loyale has hill hold for this kind of thing.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Geoj posted:

Or you know, just learn how to modulate clutch and throttle to start from a dead stop without rolling backwards while also not driving like an rear end in a top hat?

But it's a lot more fun to drop the clutch uphill if you've got the timing right. :D

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!

Motronic posted:

Anyone who can't figure that out after 5-10 tries shouldn't be towing a trailer.

iwentdoodie posted:

Yeah, but it's loving awesome having a dashed line from the hitch that shows you exactly where it is.

Doubly so when it's a lovely spot to hook up, and your only guidance is from your wife who mixes up left and right, as well as makes up her own hand signals on a whim.

But for just backing up? I never even look at it. Feels way too alien.

Exactly. There's no line on mine, it's just a regular camera that displays in this tiny square on the review mirror. It's awesome for going from "close enough that I can manhandle it into hooking up" to "dead nuts under the tongue and all I have to do is crank up the stand".

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

FormatAmerica posted:

With the introduction of additional driver aids, there is a net reduction in driver awareness regardless of what you're "supposed" to do.

I'll admit that with blind spot indicators I'm not really checking every time, but that was only after rigorous testing in different driving conditions to sufficiently vet their effectiveness.

Newer generations will only know the new stuff, we are doomed to bring sideswiped by 'naughts' that SWEAR their blind spot indicators were off.

seems like all the recent Infiniti commercials I've seen recently are trumpeting the electronic safety aids above everything else.

* Daddy starts backing his SUV out of a parking spot when beep beep screech! the car stops, narrowly missing the riced-out fartypiped car which just happened to tear past behind him. Note that this appears to take place at the top level of a mostly-empty parking complex, in broad daylight. Motherfucker why are you backing up there is nothing and no one in front of you?

* Momma's backing her giant SUV out of the driveway and beep beep screech! the car stops, narrowly missing the goddamn city bus which was trundling past. Momma stomps on the brake (after the car has already stopped itself) and looks sheepishly at her kids in the backseat. Motherfucker how you gonna not see a 40' long bus on a residential street?

there exists one other commercial which never fails to raise my blood pressure.

Guy is 'driving' along the freeway in his FX/GX/SX/whatever.

Driver is clearly not paying attention to his surroundings, and the viewer is treated to the Driver's internal monologue.

"did I send that email? I can't remember. I should call the office. I think I left the coffemaker on, that's gonna smell bad. I should check to see if my dry cleaning's done." Prattle prattle prattle.

meanwhile the car drifts out of its lane at least twice. The first time activates the car's blind spot awareness feature, the second time it is brought back by its lane departure warning feature.

ends with beep beep screech! (natch) as the car stops itself due to a sudden traffic stoppage. On the freeway.

Driver blinks, shakes his head. "Whoa. Didn't see that coming. Good thing my car was looking out for me."

MOTHERFUCKERRRRRRRRRRAAAAGHHGHGHH

e: I see I'm not alone :)

buttcrackmenace fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Sep 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
God I loving hate that last commercial. It has some tagline like 'letting you focus on driving' which basically translates to 'letting you focus on your smartphone'