Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Getsuya posted:

Weird, so I'm on the level of Alpha where I get Gunbuster and I'm not sure if the wiki is trolling me or what. It says to get 2 Expert Points I have to wipe out all enemies with Isamu in either 1 or 2 turns. The entire map is covered in enemies and Isamu appears to be piloting a single Valkyrie. Is this some kind of weird joke? Obviously I just ignored that and played the level normally, but I feel like I missed some kind of gimmick or something.

Isamu gets Move Twice early on in his level curve. He has an insane movement range and a MAP weapon, IIRC. I'm pretty sure I got that one.

FWIW, this is before the days that getting a Game Over would auto-fail your chance of winning the Mastery Point, so you could theoretically grind him if he's not high enough level already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
For the purposes of the Alpha timeline what happened canon is Kusuha getting the Grungust, and none of the other 6 show up since she takes up being the functional main character of the series with Bullet as her sidekick.

Otherwise yeah, the others get various mechs assigned to them. Yuuki and Carla actually get variants of the fourth mech option from SRW A, Tasuku's been rolling with the Giganscudo, Leona has the Siegerlion while Ryoto has the Armorlion still around since all the Huckies were destroyed. Rio's basically shafted, she still defaults to the AM Gunner which is mostly useless now that the mech it was designed to combo with no longer exists. I do quite hope she's getting something new, or at the very least let her be able to hop in the Ashsaber.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Ryoto and Rio get Exbiens in Infinite Battle.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Have them pilot MP Brastas.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I got to stage 24 of MKF before I realized that you have to equip passive pilot abilities and not just learn them. I couldn't figure out why "small chance of activation" type abilities weren't activating, but until now figured I was just really unlucky.

On the positive side, I think the animations in this game are as cool as the ones in SRW, in their own so-90s-it-hurts way. Ever since I was a kid I have hated pre-rendered 3d sprites as an animation method, and this is the first game where I think they look good.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

On the positive side, I think the animations in this game are as cool as the ones in SRW, in their own so-90s-it-hurts way. Ever since I was a kid I have hated pre-rendered 3d sprites as an animation method, and this is the first game where I think they look good.

Huh, really? I'm in the same boat so that actually makes me want to check it out. What did they do to improve it? Just general quality or did they change how they handle the animations?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

ImpAtom posted:

Huh, really? I'm in the same boat so that actually makes me want to check it out. What did they do to improve it? Just general quality or did they change how they handle the animations?
I only saw some promo videos of the previous two MK games, but this just seems better designed/animated + the low, slowly rotating camera angle that makes it look even more distinct from SRW and makes the robots look bigger.

Also, they cut down on down-time in animations, it usually just cuts straight to your robot rushing towards the other with a sword or whatever.

edit: also they have multiple cut-ins per character, at least three each so far.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Sep 8, 2014

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

That's interesting to hear. I didn't check out the past two games because the animations looked way too stiff and stilted compared to the usual SRW.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
Destron111 has been uploading attack videos, if no one else has linked them already.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjCwGbojRrBS5MLo7RLFzFQ

Some of them may count as spoilers.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Some of them are still kinda weird and stilted but they've improved a lot and the large amount of Dynamic Kills pleases me greatly. I just wish I knew who the gently caress any of the people in my party besides Tyutti were though.

I really like the Valsionga though. Dude has a Hell and Heaven knockoff, gotta love that.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?
Does anyone have the list of upgrade carryovers from Alpha? I know it got posted before but I think it was last topic... I'm mainly wondering if it's safe to upgrade the main character unit or if I should hold off.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
If it's the Huckebein, yes. If it's the Grungust, no.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Hokuto posted:

If it's the Huckebein, yes. If it's the Grungust, no.

Why one and not the other one may ask?

Who knows, Alpha is weird.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Hokuto posted:

Isamu gets Move Twice early on in his level curve. He has an insane movement range and a MAP weapon, IIRC. I'm pretty sure I got that one.

he also crits like CRAZY in that game. He ended up being the best grunt killer quickly in my playthrough. I didn't even know Macross Plus was in the first Alpha!

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Dr Pepper posted:

Why one and not the other one may ask?

Who knows, Alpha is weird.

Verisimilitude, basically. Robots that replace their old versions and aren't said to be built on them (V2, Billbine, RyuKoOh) don't inherit the old versions' upgrades. I believe in Alpha, the Grungust 3 is destroyed entirely before RyuKoOh takes the heroes out; its parts aren't used in RyuKoOh or anything like in OG.

e: Steel Cockpit is in my head now and until now I had forgotten this song existed.

Caphi fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Sep 8, 2014

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Samurai Sanders posted:

I only saw some promo videos of the previous two MK games, but this just seems better designed/animated + the low, slowly rotating camera angle that makes it look even more distinct from SRW and makes the robots look bigger.

Also, they cut down on down-time in animations, it usually just cuts straight to your robot rushing towards the other with a sword or whatever.

edit: also they have multiple cut-ins per character, at least three each so far.

I don't own MKF because I'm still burnt on MK3, but the animation videos I've seen look very similar to MK2 and MK3 attacks(albeit MK2's aren't as high res due to being a PSP game). Trailers tend to cut frames from attacks which looks particularly bad with the MK series animation style.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

Caphi posted:

Verisimilitude, basically. Robots that replace their old versions and aren't said to be built on them (V2, Billbine, RyuKoOh) don't inherit the old versions' upgrades.
There's also probably the fact that since RyuKoOh have way different weapons than Grungust and Alpha 1 does singular weapon upgrades that trying to map how it upgrade carry-overs might be hell.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Caphi posted:

Verisimilitude, basically. Robots that replace their old versions and aren't said to be built on them (V2, Billbine, RyuKoOh) don't inherit the old versions' upgrades. I believe in Alpha, the Grungust 3 is destroyed entirely before RyuKoOh takes the heroes out; its parts aren't used in RyuKoOh or anything like in OG.

e: Steel Cockpit is in my head now and until now I had forgotten this song existed.

Now keep in mind, an unupgraded RyuKoOh is stronger than a Fully upgraded Grungust Type-2. It's a ridiculous bump.

I don't believe there's a refund though.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Refunds didn't exist at all until pretty much around the time of Z, IIRC. Someone is welcome to correct me here.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Hokuto posted:

Refunds didn't exist at all until pretty much around the time of Z, IIRC. Someone is welcome to correct me here.
I think you get a refund for Gai in SRWJ? I remember getting one, but that might just be crazy talk.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

Hokuto posted:

In alpha 3 you get refunded any PP spent on Max while in the battle 7 when he switches to the vf-23

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Onmi posted:

Now keep in mind, an unupgraded RyuKoOh is stronger than a Fully upgraded Grungust Type-2. It's a ridiculous bump.

That pissed me the hell off when I played, because I spent a lot of money upgrading the Type-2. It makes sense, but I was still mad. At least I won't have to worry about it next time, since I'll be doing the real route.

As for refunds, I'm pretty sure all the money you spend upgrading Bullet's pre-KouRyuOh ride gets refunded in Alpha 3.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Endorph posted:

I think you get a refund for Gai in SRWJ? I remember getting one, but that might just be crazy talk.

I don't recall getting a refund on him since he's a secret character.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Man the gap in damage from Real and Super robots in Alpha really comes to a head in the one mission where you fight the big Neo Zeon army and then Dr. Hell shows up. Dr. Hell and his goons sit there plinking away at your Supers for like 10 health a shot, then suddenly you've got these Real mechs shooting you with lasers and your Supers are taking like half their health in damage each time they get hit. Basically dodge tanking seems to be the only sane way to play the game. Not to mention Amuro and Ple sitting there in the Nu Gundam and Sazabi inflicting 10000+ non-pumped crits from 9 squares away. I used to be able to count on my Supers to swat down some of the tougher Reals like flies, but now unless I have them backed up with a really good healer or they have Hirameki I basically don't even bother since they always get hit back for at least as much damage as they're doing.

Anyway I'm really interested to see how the story continues into the later games in the Alpha series. It kinda reminds me of reading just the crossover events of Marvel, where the Earth just keeps getting into deeper and deeper trouble each time around. They're already talking about how humanity has no future and this is everyone's darkest hour and there's still 3 games left to go.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
I always thought that that Alpha series had some rather odd plotting issues between games because of losing some pretty key licenses.

So far I don't particularly think SRW does sequels very well judging from the current existing games (Alpha, Z, OGs). Having Originals return is really kind of fun but it doesn't really benefit that much from continuity.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

Davzz posted:

I always thought that that Alpha series had some rather odd plotting issues between games because of losing some pretty key licenses.

So far I don't particularly think SRW does sequels very well judging from the current existing games (Alpha, Z, OGs). Having Originals return is really kind of fun but it doesn't really benefit that much from continuity.

Gonna have to disagree on two of those three series as, personally, I think 2nd OGs and Z2.2 are great (albeit easy). :colbert:

Z3.1 also has some nice moments.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I hope no one is talking poo poo about Z's Beyond the Time.

(I agree that Z2.2 did sort of cram in Rand and Setsuko, but what Z2 has done with ZEUTH post-series interacting with ZEXIS, and Quattro's long-running arc through all four games, are worth a lot of points.)

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
Hm, let me try to clarify my stance...

As standalone games where I try to judge them in some sort of vacuum... well, I don't really like Alpha 2 and both Z2 games for reasons, Alpha 3's kind of iffy because the squad's system aged really poorly compared to Z, haven't played 2nd OGs yet but it seems fine enough from what I've heard of it... well, all things considered I think mostly the only sequels I like from SRW are OG2 and Alpha Gaiden.

But judging the game as "sequels", for every interesting thing done with continuity, usually involving the Original plotline and Char's Counterattack (for some reason), I think SRW sequels accentuate a lot of negatives when licensed series are concerned.

1) Weirdness from dropped series. Alpha 2/3 was really bad about this, especially the oddity of UC progression - F91 drops from one game, returns with Crossbone, Victory Gundam drops at the same time... at least it transitioned from Zeta -> CCA properly though. Masoukishin also had some weird dropped plotlines IMO.

And of course, Giant Robo being dropped but that can't be helped.

2) Leaving "plot" from the source material undone to save for future games, which sometimes means really gimpy unit because they're missing their key finishers and what's not (hi Z2)

I've heard that Ibis finally gets her Alpha 2 plot done in 2nd OGs, which is good, because she's like my poster child for this flaw in the OG series. That's like 2 games where you have to put up with her before she finally becomes good!

3) Of course, there's the other end of the spectrum where if you blow all your plot in one game, then in a sequel SRW, you have guys that just kind of sit around and twiddle their thumbs and sometimes be rather outdated power-wise. Is there any real reason for the Stardust Memory to stay around for the whole of Alpha, really? Most of those guys were rather outdated even in Alpha 1!

But of course if you plan in advance to spread it out over multiple games then you have the issue of "what if we run into license issues later on" which I think they learned a painful lesson from in the Alpha series and now they're a little more wary about things.

Then there's also handling it in a manner like the weird re-run of Evangelion from Alpha 1 -> Alpha 3 where we get the Angel fights... again for pretty flimsy reasons!

4) Returning characters being removed seem to make for inherent disappointment even if they already finished their plot and have no real place to go which is a lose-lose situation. Z2-1 did this pretty badly IMO and as much as I love Xabungle it really didn't need to be there. Not really an issue with standalones since you don't really have these kind of expectations then.

5) Really flimsy excuses for power level nerfs bugs me. Of course I know it's for the sake of game balance and suspension of disbelief and all that but I don't know how many times I can eat "X is under repairs so let's use an earlier unit!" or "let's bury Shin Getter for the early game, I've heard that makes it an antique and really raises its market value" or "Yazan, I'm angry at you again and now I'm going to activate my Biosensor! I don't know why I keep forgetting how to do it in between games!"

(I'm fairly certain that happened every game in the Alpha series outside of Gaiden. Which I think is kind of silly for something in the same continuity)

I guess it might be focusing on the negatives and you can argue that it's not like standalone SRWs can't have these flaws, but SRW sequels tends to make them rather noticeable to me.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
This is why Z3 just throws all of its series that are "done" into a time vortex and calls it. The only weird effect of leaving people out seems to have been having to rename the Black History since they no longer have Turn A.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Robot engineers really need to stop putting mysterious and dangerous systems into their robots and then not telling the pilots or mechanics about them. It's really troublesome.

Caphi posted:

This is why Z3 just throws all of its series that are "done" into a time vortex and calls it. The only weird effect of leaving people out seems to have been having to rename the Black History since they no longer have Turn A.
Not Seed or Dancougar Nova...

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Sep 10, 2014

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Onmi posted:

It's not very hard to be better than the Grungust Type 2 because the Grungust Type 2 is one of the worst units in the entire game. It compares unfavorably with pre-scrander Mazinger Z, for god's sake. Compared to the Huckebein mk2 it's like activating ultra hard mode(except not really because Alpha is super easy).

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Kanos posted:

It's not very hard to be better than the Grungust Type 2 because the Grungust Type 2 is one of the worst units in the entire game.

I really like the design of the Type 2. It really is a shame that Banpresto never showed it any love.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

Robot engineers really need to stop putting mysterious and dangerous systems into their robots and then not telling the pilots or mechanics about them. It's really troublesome.

Not Seed or Dancougar Nova...

SEED at least doesn't seem to be done, they're doing something with it in Z3.2. We might get Stargazer or Astray or something.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

ImpAtom posted:

We might get Stargazer or Astray or something.

Please, please, pleasepleasepleaseplease...

I need Lowe, Gai and Sven back in my SRWs.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
A proper voiced Seed Astray and Stargazer would be amazing to have and that way you can still have your Seed stories without once again throwing in Kira and Shinn.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I just want to say that Insalaum would not be half as good as an antagonist faction as it is in Z2.2 without having Rand and Setsuko in that game.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

SEED at least doesn't seem to be done, they're doing something with it in Z3.2. We might get Stargazer or Astray or something.
As long as it ain't Delta Astray, I'll be fine.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
You basically do most of Destiny's plot in Z1, how the hell are they still doing story stuff with it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

No idea but SEED was one of the only shows to get a 'next episode' preview in Z3, with each of the others being something that is pretty obviously plot important or hinting at something new.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I think Dancouga Nova is just a Banpresto Original at this point. Has it failed to be in anything since it's debut?

• Locked thread