Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
matty6678
Jul 4, 2012
Colonial Marine has just hit an all time low in the UK at the rock bottom price of £1.99.

With the original release at around £50 it goes to show that the price fell apart almost as quickly are the bull poo poo hype that Gearbox surrounded the game with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Yodzilla posted:

Stasis Interrupted was loving terrible what the hell.
The finale was pretty neat

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

Xenomrph posted:

Holy poo poo calm down, hoss.

I said "mediocre at best", it's not like I was saying it was a Good Game. I was pointing out that anyone saying they deserve a Steam refund for buying the DLC is hilariously over the top hyperbole, even by SA Games' standards.

And yeah, the DLC doesn't introduce new weapons or enemies, the entirety of the DLC is Hicks' "long story" that he hints at in the main campaign.
I didn't have a big problem with Michael Biehn's voice acting given the character's situation (not to mention Michael Biehn has aged nearly 30 years in the interim, and it's not all that different from how he sounded in Blood Dragon).

Edit-- I got curious and checked Amazon, they've got Aliens: Infestation for Nintendo DS for under $10. If anyone is jonesing for a retro-styled Metroidvania 'Aliens' game, Infestation is pretty great.
It's got some issues (the flamethrower is mega-broken and renders all the other weapons obsolete, "unlocking" new Marines isn't nearly as cool as it sounds since you can only keep 4 in the rotation at any one time so all others you stumble across are useless if you don't happen to have an open roster slot when you find them, no NG+ for you to replay the game with your unlocked Marines) but it's still a lot of fun and absolutely worth $10.

You say one thing but you manage to continually back into other things as well. Namely, "Hey I totally agree its not good! But seriously, just ignore some of this stupid poo poo and the terrible things and yeah, you can have fun! Cause all I'm doing is looking for the fun!"

The problem is the negatives so severely outweigh the good.

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

Xenomrph posted:

I didn't have a big problem with Michael Biehn's voice acting given the character's situation (not to mention Michael Biehn has aged nearly 30 years in the interim, and it's not all that different from how he sounded in Blood Dragon).

Biehn himself called this game "passionless."

quote:

[The project] wasn't fun at all. I just really didn't have any fun.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

soggybagel posted:

You say one thing but you manage to continually back into other things as well. Namely, "Hey I totally agree its not good! But seriously, just ignore some of this stupid poo poo and the terrible things and yeah, you can have fun! Cause all I'm doing is looking for the fun!"

The problem is the negatives so severely outweigh the good.
To each their own I guess, I've had a good time with my share of bad games. Driv3r on the original Xbox was a buggy, broken, unfinished mess, but you could still do hilarious poo poo in it and to this day I wish more open-world games had as robust of a replay movie creator as that game had.

I see Colonial Marines as a lot of missed potential, which is really unfortunate. Frankly I'd love it if some other, competent studio took a crack at a sequel and implemented some of the cool ideas that got shelved, like dedicated squad roles with accompanying co-op, exploring other worlds besides LV-426 (which is pretty much the Tattooine of Aliens fiction - for a backwater planet, everything seems to happen there), and some of the other ideas introduced in the old concept art.

At least the DS game was clever enough to namedrop the UPP, basically space-communists, an idea from one of the abandoned Alien3 script drafts.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
The legend will never die. http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2014-09-03-sega-pitchford-did-whatever-the-gently caress-he-likes

quote:

"I spoke face to face to [Gearbox's Steve] Gibson about their persistent panel leaking," said Matt Eyre, GM and director of brand marketing (Core Games) at Sega, in reference to E3 2011.

"Effectively - it's Randy [Pitchford] doing whatever the gently caress he likes. Apparently he did it twice on [Borderlands 2] also, against, against all plans and despite the fact they asked him not to. I think our best result here is that we have no more panel sessions ..."

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Xenomrph posted:

To each their own I guess, I've had a good time with my share of bad games. Driv3r on the original Xbox was a buggy, broken, unfinished mess, but you could still do hilarious poo poo in it and to this day I wish more open-world games had as robust of a replay movie creator as that game had.
Don't forget that the replays didn't always record things correctly and viewing a broken replay after finishing a mission could cause you to fail the actual mission.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Cardboard Box A posted:

Don't forget that the replays didn't always record things correctly and viewing a broken replay after finishing a mission could cause you to fail the actual mission.
It was worse than that, creating a replay at all would cause you to auto-fail the mission.
I learned that the hard way after struggling with the next to last mission which is almost entirely based on luck, and stupidly difficult and un-fun. I completed it, and just to prove that it could be beaten, I saved a replay.

Doing so made it so the mission completion didn't register, so I had to beat it again.
I was so loving angry, holy poo poo.

I did create about a dozen replays from the mission where you ride in the back of a truck with an M79 grenade launcher, that mission was fantastic.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Driv3r was loving terrible. I preordered that piece of poo poo like a sucker and beat it in one sitting. I then sold it on eBay for most of what I paid and the buyer left a review of "Seller is a good salesman."

e: i remember Driver 2 being completely unplayable for a large number of reasons too. original game, Parallel Lines, and San Francisco are good though

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I didn't try Parallel Lines or SF, mostly because the cool replay movie editor from Driv3r (like, the game's one redeeming feature) had been inexplicably removed.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

San Francisco owns and is like movie editor: the game in some ways due to how mechanics work.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Pitchford has a long history of running his mouth and overhyping nearly everything he's ever been part of.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Palpek posted:

San Francisco owns and is like movie editor: the game in some ways due to how mechanics work.
Huh, I might have to check it out. Thanks for the tip! :)

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Pitchford is a good salesman, and that's fine so long as your product lands somewhere in the ballpark of your pitch.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
Going back to Stasis Interrupted, is it ever explained why one of the guys who wakes up Hicks in running around with no shirt on and a bloody bandage wrapped around him?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Eau de MacGowan posted:

Going back to Stasis Interrupted, is it ever explained why one of the guys who wakes up Hicks in running around with no shirt on and a bloody bandage wrapped around him?

Well, that's a long story...

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

soggybagel posted:

Pitchford has a long history of running his mouth and overhyping nearly everything he's ever been part of.

Pattern recognition indicates that this method actually works as far as gamers are concerned.

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga
The weirdest thing is Xenomorph should hate the bad poo poo even more than normal people as a fan of the series. Like I said before I hated Terminator Salvation more than most because I'm such a huge fan of those (the first two movies and nothing else nothing else exists) movies.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Lets! Get! Weird! posted:

The weirdest thing is Xenomorph should hate the bad poo poo even more than normal people as a fan of the series. Like I said before I hated Terminator Salvation more than most because I'm such a huge fan of those (the first two movies and nothing else nothing else exists) movies.
I guess I'm an optimist, I'm able to glean the positives out of otherwise bad stuff and get enjoyment out of it anyway.

It's not that I don't recognize bad stuff and what makes it bad, it's that I choose not to focus on it. :shobon:

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga
Also how does the computer in Alien 3 misidentify the body as Hicks in the pod.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Because Colonial Marines isn't real.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Also how does the computer in Alien 3 misidentify the body as Hicks in the pod.
Have you seen his body? I'd post a screencap but I'm on my iPod. A girder went through his face and chest.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

It's good to see computers in the future identify people only by their facial features, go "eh, looks like Hicks, kinda?" Ya know, gently caress DNA or anything.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Sire Oblivion posted:

It's good to see computers in the future identify people only by their facial features, go "eh, looks like Hicks, kinda?" Ya know, gently caress DNA or anything.
-Is there a body in the pod?
-Yes.
-Whose pod was it?
-Hicks's.
-It's Hicks, case closed Watson.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Hope this isn't... HICKS' blood

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Palpek posted:

-Is there a body in the pod?
-Yes.
-Whose pod was it?
-Hicks's.
-It's Hicks, case closed Watson.
Seems like a pretty reasonable conclusion to me when you've got no reason to believe otherwise. v:shobon:v

Sire Oblivion posted:

Because Colonial Marines isn't real.
None of it is real you silly goose. :)

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hakkesshu posted:

Hope this isn't... HICKS' blood
http://youtu.be/JspSfD0OHJk?t=1m57s

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Xenomrph posted:

Seems like a pretty reasonable conclusion to me when you've got no reason to believe otherwise. v:shobon:v

What goofy world do you live in where this is how computers function?

sigher fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Sep 10, 2014

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
God, it's such a loving stupid retcon. Hicks was much better off dead. I think Alien 3 was better off for it. It's most certainly better than the A:CM poo poo we got.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

blackguy32 posted:

God, it's such a loving stupid retcon. Hicks was much better off dead. I think Alien 3 was better off for it. It's most certainly better than the A:CM poo poo we got.

Meh, I dont think Alien 3 was bad as such, but I used to read Dark Horse Alien comics, so Hicks being alive isn't that much of retcon to me.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Rincewinds posted:

Meh, I dont think Alien 3 was bad as such, but I used to read Dark Horse Alien comics, so Hicks being alive isn't that much of retcon to me.

What happened in the comics?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The comics came before Alien 3, so they pick up where Aliens left off. Hicks and Newt are on earth, Newt is in a mental hospital and is older. They go on adventures and find aliens. Then Newt fucks an android, and Aliens get to earth. Then at some point they meet up with Ripley and she kills the king Alien with a powerloader.

After Alien 3, they changed the names to Wilks and Bille. But left everything else. So the story makes no sense. They some how knew Ripley, Vasquez, Hudson, Apone, Drake, ect.

Weird poo poo. But Nightmare Asylum (the second part of the Aliens Sequel trilogy) has some amazing art. It's seriously great. But part 3 has probably some of the worst art i've ever seen in a comic (don't read them much).

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Sire Oblivion posted:

What goofy world do you live in where this is how computers function?
We're talking about the same magic computers that were able to ID Ripley by her cryotube but not Newt, right? It's almost as if the computer was reporting who was supposed to be in the tube, and the Fury 161 staff took it at face value because why wouldn't they?

CelticPredator posted:

The comics came before Alien 3, so they pick up where Aliens left off. Hicks and Newt are on earth, Newt is in a mental hospital and is older. They go on adventures and find aliens. Then Newt fucks an android, and Aliens get to earth. Then at some point they meet up with Ripley and she kills the king Alien with a powerloader.

After Alien 3, they changed the names to Wilks and Bille. But left everything else. So the story makes no sense. They some how knew Ripley, Vasquez, Hudson, Apone, Drake, ect.

Weird poo poo. But Nightmare Asylum (the second part of the Aliens Sequel trilogy) has some amazing art. It's seriously great. But part 3 has probably some of the worst art i've ever seen in a comic (don't read them much).
Yeah, the art in part 2 rules, and part three is pretty much dogshit all around.

The "novelized " versions handle it better and smooth out some of the comics' rough edges, like the inexplicable references to Aliens movie characters, etc.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Sep 10, 2014

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga
Doesn't it recognize Bishop, who is in even worse shape?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

CelticPredator posted:

Why would the comics focus on Newt and Gicks? That seems stupid to me.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Aliens was a huge hit, and I guess they wanted to do a story with someone other than Ripley.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

CelticPredator posted:

Aliens was a huge hit, and I guess they wanted to do a story with someone other than Ripley.

Doesn't it recognize Bishop, who is in even worse shape?
Exactly, it was going off whoever it was told it was holding. It's not like it was IDing Bishop by his DNA, since he doesn't have any. :v:

It's a totally half-baked retcon to bring back Hicks, don't get me wrong, but given what it had to work with from Alien3 it kinda sorta works.
I mean it all hinges on Alien3 making Hicks' remains mangled and unidentifiable. If his corpse had just been him impaled through the chest but he still had a recognizable face, bringing Hicks back from the dead might have been a bit harder to explain. :v:

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

And Ripley coming back was the exact moment when they turned to poo poo also.

I'm not going to miss the chance to pimp my writeups of Outbreak, Nightmare Asylum, and Female War since they're the biggest effortposts I've made on these forums. Requires archives at this point, though.

But yes, Nightmare Asylum is completely loving awesome and they really dropped the ball with the follow-up.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Sep 10, 2014

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The best Aliens comic to date is Labyrinth. Seriously hosed up poo poo goes down in that series and it's goddamn crazy, and the artwork rules. I love the way the Aliens are portrayed, all unnaturally skinny but still scary as gently caress.

We're getting 4 new comic series starting late this month, one each for Aliens, Predator, AvP, and Prometheus, and they'll all tie into each other in one big overarching plot.

And later this year we're getting another Alien novel that's meant to cover the downfall of Hadley's Hope in 'Aliens', and 'The Weyland Yutani Report', basically a spiritual successor to the Colonial Marines Technical Manual from years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Xenomrph posted:

We're talking about the same magic computers that were able to ID Ripley by her cryotube but not Newt, right? It's almost as if the computer was reporting who was supposed to be in the tube, and the Fury 161 staff took it at face value because why wouldn't they?

Because Alien 3 is a Bad Movie™, Colonial Marines is a Bad Game™ and you trying to excuse any of this makes you a Bad Poster™.

• Locked thread