Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thehacker0
Mar 19, 2014

KingShibby posted:

My Christmas present to myself this year is down to either a Playstation 4 or a racing cockpit. Right now I'm leaning towards the PS4 then getting the cockpit once I get my tax refund.

I've read some not-so-great reviews of the csl seat. I guess it's pretty unstable, ie it can fall over when you sit down. Might be worth checking out the isrtv review or some others if you haven't already. Definitely quite a few solid options out there.

I too want to get a real rig, but given the studio apartment I live in and the furniture I have, the wheelstand is going to have to do for a while. It's really quite good considering it takes up zero space. Might not be so great with a stronger ffb wheel like a csw, but it's plenty stable for the g27 with clubsport pedals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan

thehacker0 posted:

I've read some not-so-great reviews of the csl seat. I guess it's pretty unstable, ie it can fall over when you sit down. Might be worth checking out the isrtv review or some others if you haven't already. Definitely quite a few solid options out there.

Well that makes up my mind right there, guess I'll have to save up a great many :20bux: to buy the $1000 cockpit, the triple monitor mount, and the nice racing seat :sigh:

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
drat you all and your disposable incomes. All I have as a student is rich parents that spoil me. :argh:

thehacker0
Mar 19, 2014

KingShibby posted:

Well that makes up my mind right there, guess I'll have to save up a great many :20bux: to buy the $1000 cockpit, the triple monitor mount, and the nice racing seat :sigh:

Theres some other affordable options

Obutto
http://www.mainperformancepc.com/product/obutto-gaming-cockpits/obutto-ozone-gaming-cockpit/

playseat
http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...sl_1k99ei033g_b

I'm sure there's others too. This is the review I watched, it looks kinda sketch to me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0EU4cizwMI

thehacker0 fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Sep 10, 2014

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Torabi posted:

All I have as a student is rich parents that spoil me. :argh:

I wish I had rich parents that would spoil me :colbert:

I work full-time to pay the bills and officiate 3 sports so I can actually have disposable income...

Edit: Sold on the Wheel Stand because it's cheap enough that other people can buy it for me!

KingShibby fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Sep 10, 2014

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I have the CSL seat, it's not bad at all. It might tip over if you're trying to stand on the side of it or something. Once you're sitting in it, it's perfectly stable. The only thing I don't like is getting the pedals totally locked down. They only attach at one point.

thehacker0
Mar 19, 2014

KingShibby posted:

I wish I had rich parents that would spoil me :colbert:

I work full-time to pay the bills and officiate 3 sports so I can actually have disposable income...

Edit: Sold on the Wheel Stand because it's cheap enough that other people can buy it for me!

Nice. You can't go wrong with that stand. It's great it terms of saving space, and you can use it on the couch for console play or right up against your desk on the PC.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

thehacker0 posted:

Nice. You can't go wrong with that stand. It's great it terms of saving space, and you can use it on the couch for console play or right up against your desk on the PC.

I play Planetside 2 as well and it's a pain in the rear end to detach my wheel and shifter from my desk so I can put my keyboard in front of my monitors. Also Planetside 2 with three monitors is amazing.

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

I have a Wheel Stand Pro, it works well for me. I just swing it around when I race and put it back in the corner when I'm finished.

thehacker0
Mar 19, 2014

I do the exact same thing. If you don't have the space for a dedicated rig solely for racing, a wheel stand is the way to go. The wheel stand pro is pretty beefy as well, and does a good job of standing still under force feedback. It's a bit heavy, but not so much that you can pretty easily pick it up and move it around. I just slide mine to the side under my desk when I play other games.

How does the TH8RS shifter feel in sequential mode by the way? Trying to decide on a shifter upgrade from my G27 which has both sequential and H pattern. I will probably use sequential more than H patter honestly, so I'm looking at some sequential-only shifters as well as the TH8 and fanatec. Does anyone else have experience with any of the sequential shifters on the market?

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

It feels great, but I don't have any experience with any time of sequential shifter. The only thing I did was increase the resistance. The default resistance was good for H-pattern but felt way too lose in sequential.

Oglogoth
May 16, 2010

Daaaaarling~

Wheel Stand Pro Club wutup.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
I'm guessing with that thing you pretty much have to left-foot brake or heel-toe it, eh?

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Can I ask why you'd use a stick shifter to change sequential rather than using the paddles?

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Tony Montana posted:

Can I ask why you'd use a stick shifter to change sequential rather than using the paddles?

I'm sure some people do it for authenticity since a lot of these racing cars use sequential shifters not on the wheel. I think they're called dog box shifters or something like that.

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

Tony Montana posted:

It frees up buttons on my wheel. I use the paddles to look right/left.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
You don't find taking your hands off the wheel compromises your control? That's why paddles originated in F1, keeping your hands on the wheel.'

edit: you're running a T500 like me.. you don't have enough buttons anyway? What do you have mapped on there? I've got radio stuff and manipulating the data box and buttons to spare.

edit2: hrm that wheel stand is sweet.. I just modified my desk recently but I wish I'd bought that instead. Still can do, dragging into the middle of the lounge room to play on the big screen is awesome.. more for games like Dirt3 rather than when you're all getting iRacing serious. Oh yeah.. iRacing does rock. I've been away from my computer for about a year and the only game I really wanted to come back to was that.. had a strap a few days ago and it was great. Star Mazda was on rails around Interlagos, but apparently the Spec Racer ford is at Spa next week so that's going to be loving brilliant. Star Mazda at Okoyama which will be good just because any iRacer that's put in their time knows that track like the back of their hand.

edit3: Star Mazda isn't actually called Star Mazda anymore.. it's Pro Mazda. Hmm.. wonder if iRacing will update, not that I really care but it was neat to be able to bash in the name of whatever car and see it's real life basis on Wikipedia.

Tony Montana fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Sep 11, 2014

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

I like the feel using the shifter, and it always irked me a bit using paddles in cars like the SRF.

My bindings are as follows:

Paddes are look right/left

L2/R2 are text chat for pass left/right

SE - Traction control disable
ST - Tow
PS - Pit speed limiter

Triangle - PTT
Square - Cycle black box menus
X - Select
Circle - Quick In car adj menu

LB - Splits
RB - Relative Box

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
With the H pattern shifter, the only advantage I can think of.. actual advantage besides immersion or feel or whatever.. is you can skip gears. From 4th down to 2nd in hard braking for instance.. have you ever found that to be useful?

Doom Sleigher
Dec 29, 2004

I miss the sequential shifter of the DFGT since I got a G27. I never use the H shifter, I probably will spend some dough on a Fanatec sequential shifter. Its just more fun than paddles.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
It's gotta be slower when you're really on it, though.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

The H-pattern on my G27 is really just fun. I know I probably won't be fast enough for it to ever be an advantage, but rowing through the gears is so much fun in the right car.

For example, it owns when playing the IndyCar 1994 mod in rFactor.

simble
May 11, 2004

Quit telling people how to play video games.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Ha, stop telling people how to post.

I'm just talking about H patterns with some people.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?
How To Get Out Of Rookies:

Start from the pits
go fast, turn left (sometimes right?)
let everyone pass you and give them room
don't run in to other idiots.

Went from low 2's to getting my D license in like 3 races doing this.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Once you get D licensed I suggest starting races from the grid, since you do need to start learning how to manage a race start.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
The place to learn starts are those multi-class week 13 races...if you can handle that poo poo, you can handle anything.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty

The Orange Mage posted:

The place to learn starts are those multi-class week 13 races...if you can handle that poo poo, you can handle anything.

Week 13 happened during my second week in iRacing. Never again.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

invision posted:

Start from the pits

Of course qualifying on pole and lead every lap works aswell, even at USA international.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Bumming Your Scene posted:

I miss the sequential shifter of the DFGT since I got a G27. I never use the H shifter, I probably will spend some dough on a Fanatec sequential shifter. Its just more fun than paddles.

I've never used the H-pattern shifter on my G27 for any car, 100% paddle shifting only. Now that I have 3 monitors I rarely use the Look Left/Right/Up/Down functions, but I did map them to the POV pad on the shifter.

This is how I have my G27 mapped for the DW12:

thehacker0
Mar 19, 2014

I actually use the H-pattern quite a bit on my G27, mostly for mx-5 cup and production car challenge races. I practiced for a while in between official races for fun, and once you get used to it I'm actually not any faster/slower (some cars/tracks are more difficult H-pattern than others). It just feels wrong to use paddles on a car which is known for being classically 5/6 speed manual. Same with other cars like the mustang, L79, or even stock cars (they are dog box I think). It's not as bad using paddles in the skippy or star mazda, but I would rather have a nice sequential shifter for those.

But I'm more interested in a sequential just for the enjoyment of it. The paddles on the G27 don't have a particularly positive shifting feel, and it's just more involved and satisfying to shift with a sequential stick. I will probably end up getting the fanatec shifter to kill two birds with one stone, but there are some pretty great looking sequentials out there (DSD, Frex shift+).

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
:siren: ASTON MARTIN CONFIRMED :siren:

quote:

Bedford, MA (September 11, 2014) – iRacing.com Motorsport Simulations, the world’s most realistic racing game, today announced the addition of four Aston Martin Racing cars to the iRacing.com lineup. iRacing.com will create a virtual version of the Aston Martin Vantage GT3 that will compete next weekend in the iRacing.com Nürburgring 1000 Blancpain Sprint Series event, as well as other Aston Martin Racing cars including the Le Mans class-winning DBR9.

“The opportunity to produce these authentic digital Aston Martins is genuinely exciting news for iRacing,” says Tony Gardner, President of iRacing.com. “Aston Martin has long been synonymous with sports car racing excellence, and the opportunity to race the Vantage GT3, DBR9 and other Aston Martins on the virtual tracks of iRacing will generate tremendous enthusiasm among our members.”

The Aston Martins will join an impressive list of more than 40 world class sports, stock and open wheel cars already available to more than 52,000 iRacers worldwide.

iRacing.com enables motorsports and gaming enthusiasts around the world to race against one another online on 65 laser-scanned road courses, ovals and speedways in officially-sanctioned and private league competition. From GT racing to NASCAR, Grand Prix racing to prototypes and IndyCars, iRacing delivers the most realistic racing experience you can have on your PC or Mac from the comfort and convenience of your home. With literally thousands of official races every week, there is always someone to race against at iRacing.

In celebration of its relationship with Aston Martin and the sponsorship of the iRacing.com Nürburgring 1000, iRacing is offering a free, three month subscription to new members who visit https://www.iracing.com/nurburgring1000.

Go to https://www.iracing.com for more information on iRacing and to read testimonials from stock car, road racing and sim racing champions the world over.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Update on GoonCar

I hoped to have it restarted by October, but more Real Life stuff happened. GoonCar is in indefinite hiatus unless someone else would be willing to take it over.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

I wouldn't be of any use to organize, but I'd be happy to contribute some funds.

Actually I wouldn't mind organizing a special event race in the following format once multi-driver support gets in:

-Endurance race, maybe 4-6 hours, depending on participation
-The number of teams and the size of said teams would be dictated by participation
-Team Captains chosen from the most experienced drivers
-Captains must draft their team (serpentine order)
-The minimum driving requirement would be raised above the default formula

This would basically be a mixed-skill competition. By doing a serpentine draft, one would hope there would be some terrible rookies in the mix (like me) and would give the opportunity for said terrible rookies to race alongside of more seasoned vets. Hopefully the vets would spot for the lesser-experienced players and give them pointers as they went along.

What do you guys think, does this sound fun?

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

I'd say 4 hours max, maybe a 2.4 hour minimum, still I would be down for this. Also, check out what might be coming eventually:

thehacker0
Mar 19, 2014

Bentai posted:

I'd say 4 hours max, maybe a 2.4 hour minimum, still I would be down for this. Also, check out what might be coming eventually:

Yea someone posted that a few pages back I think. Probably a good thing for the service, but the rookie races are going to be even worse than they already are with random people from steam joining races with no clue whats going on. Perhaps they will have a new series for 'lite' users

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

The second image confirms they'll be restricted to "lite-only" series. It'll still be full of chaff though.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Bentai posted:

The second image confirms they'll be restricted to "lite-only" series. It'll still be full of chaff though.

I wonder if lite memberships will be allowed to do solo testing...

thehacker0
Mar 19, 2014

Bentai posted:

Oh you're right, I missed that. Thank god. It will definitely be a good thing, I have a few friends who love doing test sessions at my house but aren't quite ready to take the plunge. I bet the lite version could get them hooked though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

invision posted:

Start from the pits

How to get out of rookies:
Wait until the track for the week is Charlotte
Start from the pits
You will never see another car
Finish race.

• Locked thread