Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Hihohe posted:

Seth McFarlane helped make cosmos so he gets a pass from me

Also American Dad has some legitimately funny gags and the writers are hilarious on the DVD commentary. His Oscar performance and Family Guy were pretty bad though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun

Cuniculous posted:

I can pretty much guarantee these are the only people on this list he knows anything about.

I went and looked up the other days of his thankfulness thing. He started running out of poo poo to be happy about fast

Also, his cover image.

lol University of Pheonix

I don't find anything wrong with anything he's said he's thankful for. More 1st worlders could stand to think about their effortless access to clean water. Is it the critical thinking skills thing you object to?

Finisher1
Feb 21, 2008

hepscat posted:

I don't find anything wrong with anything he's said he's thankful for. More 1st worlders could stand to think about their effortless access to clean water. Is it the critical thinking skills thing you object to?

You're right, but in this guy's case I think it would be a lot better just to be thankful for these things instead of publicly posting about them on Facebook every single day.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

CharlestheHammer posted:

Well I mean people aren't ranking them, just using a nebulous descriptor (bad), so I don't see why everyone is getting huffy.

We could assign points based on various statistical performance metrics and have a religious assfuck/extremist group fantasy league.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
Trufact: All the people I put in the bad category were put there not because they're "as bad as ISIS" but because they're arrogant, racist, sexist pricks. Or libertarians.

Except Joss Whedon. He's there for another reason. He knows what he did. He knows why he deserves to be on the bad list. :colbert:

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
If you won't say it I will. He should've written more episodes of Roseanne, his episodes were actually pretty good.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

If you won't say it I will. He should've written more episodes of Roseanne, his episodes were actually pretty good.

I have literally never seen anything that Joss Whedon was involved in except the Avengers, but people get really mad about him in Cinema Discusso. Apparently he is really bad at blocking shots and this makes people super mad.

Edit: I just double checked his IMDB and I have seen Toy Story as well, but didn't know he was involved in that. Still not sure why Joss Whedon makes the internet so mad.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
Okay, to be completely fair, I should also list the humanists who killed a bunch of people: Che Guevara, Jack Kevorkian, Robert Oppenheimer (indirectly, debatable).
Unless you count abortion, that's about it.

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun

Finisher1 posted:

You're right, but in this guy's case I think it would be a lot better just to be thankful for these things instead of publicly posting about them on Facebook every single day.

That's just a dumb thing that's going around social media (posting things you're thankful for for five days) and if anything it's one of the more sincere and intelligent ones.

Randoms on my friends list:

"thankful for bacon, beer, and butter"

"a comfortable home office with a cushy, spinning chair"

"Oh my lordie Charlie Hunnam"

and so on.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

hepscat posted:

That's just a dumb thing that's going around social media (posting things you're thankful for for five days) and if anything it's one of the more sincere and intelligent ones.

Randoms on my friends list:

"thankful for bacon, beer, and butter"

"a comfortable home office with a cushy, spinning chair"

"Oh my lordie Charlie Hunnam"

and so on.

Woah buddy, let's not talk poo poo about spinny chairs.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I have literally never seen anything that Joss Whedon was involved in except the Avengers, but people get really mad about him in Cinema Discusso. Apparently he is really bad at blocking shots and this makes people super mad.

Edit: I just double checked his IMDB and I have seen Toy Story as well, but didn't know he was involved in that. Still not sure why Joss Whedon makes the internet so mad.

Wait, it's cool to not like Joss Whedon now?!? loving posers, I've been doing that since Buffy the Vampire Slayer :colbert:

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

There's a reason why TvTropes treats him as their patron saint (aside from the fact that it originally started as a Buffy fansite).

Woodhouse
Aug 1, 2010

Tell me, Aldo, if I were sitting where you're sitting, would you show me mercy?

"..Or fail to have read the same classical literature and novels as me."

[Fedora tipping intensifies]

EDIT: Worst editing job on the names ever and I'm sure I'll make some OCD person aggravated.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Regalingualius posted:

There's a reason why TvTropes treats him as their patron saint (aside from the fact that it originally started as a Buffy fansite).

I have never heard anything egregious about Buffy the Vampire Slayer though? I haven't actually seen Buffy or Firefly, but from what I hear they are generally well regarded by the internet / nerds. I just don't get why the internet gets up in arms about Whedon. Toy Story and the Avengers were both financially successful and entertaining movies and I haven't heard anything about his TV shows or Cabin in the Woods being especially terrible.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I have never heard anything egregious about Buffy the Vampire Slayer though? I haven't actually seen Buffy or Firefly, but from what I hear they are generally well regarded by the internet / nerds. I just don't get why the internet gets up in arms about Whedon. Toy Story and the Avengers were both financially successful and entertaining movies and I haven't heard anything about his TV shows or Cabin in the Woods being especially terrible.

For me, at least, it's because he seems to think "someone who's constantly snarky and sarcastic is highly witty", then applies it to almost every character in his movies that I've watched. Places like TvT adore that style because they wouldn't know really good writing if someone beat them to death with a copy of it.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Joss Whedon is a fairly good writer with a talent for (if not slight over-reliance on) witty, quippy dialogue. He's made some cool movies and shows. However, he's also basically the number one object of obsession for tropers and other annoying nerds on the internet, and I'd say that's where most of the backlash comes from.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

It's because nerds get mad when someone else gets paid to turn fan fiction into film, and when it involves existing franchises it becomes canonized; the irony is the comics industry has done this for years, but they accept that as a different universe.

I wish I was joking. I have a co-worker who nearly said that verbatim, sans the last part.

He also got mad at the new Star Treks because they're too over the top and again, don't follow canon - despite the fact the first of the remakes went very far out of the way to say "your canon is wrong now, forget that it ever happened, stop wishing it upon the story. This is a complete reboot."

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Wasabi the J posted:

He also got mad at the new Star Treks because they're too over the top and again, don't follow canon - despite the fact the first of the remakes went very far out of the way to say "your canon is wrong now, forget that it ever happened, stop wishing it upon the story. This is a complete reboot."

Not even that - it's "Your precious canon still all happened in one version of the universe. This is a different universe and things are different. Leonard Nimoy is OK with this, so loving deal with it."

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
The weirdest thing about the reaction to New Trek is how people react to the tone. Yes, they are different, but no one compares Die Hard to 2001.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Kimmalah posted:

They're probably not talking about him being "obnoxiously correct" rather they're referring to the fact that he's said some really dumb and terrible stuff. Then usually just says something worse when he tries to explain what he meant.

I'm not religious by any stretch, but I don't see him as being much different from some fundamentalists because he also seems to enjoy shoving his beliefs down people's throats when really he has about the same amount of "proof" they do. Which is probably what most people are referring to rather than literally comparing him to something like ISIS.

But that's not what he said? Whatever the hell "mild pedophilia" is by his definition is apparently not harmful. :shrug:

This is what I meant by constant "foot in mouth" moments.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?
Phil Anthropist is a high school science teacher who just retired. She was one of my teachers, and I worked for her through high school and a few years after; she was like a mother to me, since my mom was nearly noexistant. I ended up quitting because of how unfairly she treated me (horrible work conditions, terrible pay with a promise for a raise if I completed projects that were impossible to do, etc.) and we didn't speak for several years because she went nuts on me. We only got back in touch, reluctantly on my part, when my dog died. She's also incredibly racist towards muslims and refused to have any in her classes (not a problem where we live).

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

That last comment apparently doesn't know of the existence of food deserts.

Others, that sales happen. I bought frog legs with EBT once, because they were on a crazy cheap sale.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Heh, people, what a bunch of animals.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
That guy's head would explode if he found out you can buy fully decorated birthday cakes from the bakery with an EBT card.

It's also very very rare that I'll see a customer buy the more expensive meats (steak or lobster or whatever) with EBT. That just doesn't happen that often, and if it does, it's probably to celebrate something and hey poor people are allowed to treat themselves to something good SOMETIMES even with their EBT money!

It's just amazing that people have such little understanding of how much you can buy with EBT. You only get limited funds each month, and quite frankly it's not very much, and then you can't buy anything that's NOT food which includes plenty of poo poo you need around your house. And it DOESN'T buy beer despite what people say. I imagine a lot of people see them swipe their EBT card after their beer has already been scanned, not realize that you can have it on the same order, the card will just ignore any non EBT stuff.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Regalingualius posted:

For me, at least, it's because he seems to think "someone who's constantly snarky and sarcastic is highly witty", then applies it to almost every character in his movies that I've watched. Places like TvT adore that style because they wouldn't know really good writing if someone beat them to death with a copy of it.

That's my problem with him too. It was tolerable early in his career, but as time goes on he just clings to it more and more until it's completely insufferable.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Macaluso posted:

It's just amazing that people have such little understanding of how much you can buy with EBT. You only get limited funds each month, and quite frankly it's not very much, and then you can't buy anything that's NOT food which includes plenty of poo poo you need around your house. And it DOESN'T buy beer despite what people say. I imagine a lot of people see them swipe their EBT card after their beer has already been scanned, not realize that you can have it on the same order, the card will just ignore any non EBT stuff.

Anything that's not food, and some that are food. What did and did not count as pre-made was confusing when I was on it. I could buy a whole rotisserie chicken from the deli section of Food Lion, precooked/seasoned/all that. But not a premade sandwich or the like.

The 7-11 near my house found a loophole where they couldn't sell their whole, cooked pizzas on EBT. But they could sell it to you frozen, and then cook it there.

AngryRobotsInc has a new favorite as of 22:33 on Sep 10, 2014

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
I hit some paydirt today. Purple and Green are women I don't know, and Red is 3 different people I don't know. Purple and I share a mutual friend who posted the article. There's more but I'm too lazy to screengrab the rest and this is already lengthy. Click for big big.

54 40 or fuck has a new favorite as of 22:34 on Sep 10, 2014

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Anything that's not food, and some that are food. What did and did not count as pre-made was confusing when I was on it. I could buy a whole rotisserie chicken from the deli section of Food Lion, precooked/seasoned/all that. But not a premade sandwich or the like.

The 7-11 near my house found a loophole where they couldn't sell their whole, cooked pizzas on EBT. But they could sell it to you frozen, and then cook it there.

The wording of the rules prohibits using EBT for (paraphrasing from a dusty memory of training as a convenience store clerk) "items intended to be eaten on the premises." So, pre-made sandwiches at the supermarket deli are out because you can have a seat on a bench and eat lunch right there, but they expect you to take whole chickens home to eat.

To quote someone smarter than me: "The system isn't perfect, but it's the best we can come up with."

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

The wording of the rules prohibits using EBT for (paraphrasing from a dusty memory of training as a convenience store clerk) "items intended to be eaten on the premises." So, pre-made sandwiches at the supermarket deli are out because you can have a seat on a bench and eat lunch right there, but they expect you to take whole chickens home to eat.

To quote someone smarter than me: "The system isn't perfect, but it's the best we can come up with."

Also, a lot of people never look at the EBT page, which has up that it's cheaper not to go after every case of fraud. And way cheaper not to police what people eat/buy with the money.

But honestly, it's not a huge amount of money. :/

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

In California at least the rule was that it can't be hot food or prepared on the spot food.

A sandwich made fresh in the deli is a no go, but a prepackaged sub was fine. Cold chicken tenders form the deli? Fine. Hot whole chicken? Nope.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Aerofallosov posted:

Also, a lot of people never look at the EBT page, which has up that it's cheaper not to go after every case of fraud. And way cheaper not to police what people eat/buy with the money.

But honestly, it's not a huge amount of money. :/

Also grocery and convenience stores constantly lobby the government to expand the allowed items and make things more convenient for their customers because it's essentially a big spigot of taxpayer dollars straight to private businesses. I used to work the night shift at 7-Eleven, and there were only a few things about EBT that bothered me. Don't really want to hear about how this is an urban legend or racist or whatever because I freaking saw it with my own eyes, every day, every month. One was that many people would have multiple cards in different names. I found out that was because some people sell, say, a $100 EBT card for $50 cash to support their... whatever. Second was that there were certain items in the store that we never sold except the first of the month. You ever look in the freezer at 7-Eleven and wonder who's buying a $7.99 Red Baron pizza you can get at the grocery store for $2.50? Nobody... except EBT customers on the first of the month. Anything in the store that was remotely like "groceries" only had to be restocked the first week of the month. Third was that the receipt shows how much the person has left on their card, and you'd get people LITERALLY hanging around the store at 11:59 on the 1st, waiting for midnight and then spending half of a whole month's allotment... at 7-Eleven, before dawn even came on the first day. Happened every single month. Also, call me crazy, but if you can afford to smoke Newports I'm not sure why we're buying you food.

Also wasn't in a food desert. My store was a mile away from a 24 hour grocery store.

I have no problem whatsoever with the concept of food stamps or welfare, but I always felt like it should be like WIC where you were restricted to grocery store, generic brand, real actual food. I'm happy to give you bread and milk and meat and butter and cheese and fruit and vegetables, but goddammit I hate buying you Doritos and slushies at 300% markup.

Imagined has a new favorite as of 01:16 on Sep 11, 2014

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
Why do people get mad about people using WIC/EBT cards for expensive steaks and seafood and stuff? You get a finite amount on the card each month. Expensive luxury purchases just mean they run out of funds earlier.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Why do people get mad about people using WIC/EBT cards for expensive steaks and seafood and stuff? You get a finite amount on the card each month. Expensive luxury purchases just mean they run out of funds earlier.

People feel that if you are not living in the most abject poverty at all times you are not worth helping or sympathy. Plus it makes it so they can't feel superior which is a big thing for Americans.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?
I've bought made-on-the-spot subs before with EBT; a place I used to live near made massive subs with local meat for $5 that would last me for 3-4 days. It was rare that I did it, I prefer to cook for myself anyway, but if I was going to be super busy for a few days it worked great and was cheap. I'm honestly feeling a little weird about EBT right now. They tried to gently caress me over due to their own screw up and cut mine off for a few months. When I went to their hearing and got it turned back on they dumped all of the back pay on me, so I suddenly have 5 months worth of food stamps on my card.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Imagined posted:

Also grocery and convenience stores constantly lobby the government to expand the allowed items and make things more convenient for their customers because it's essentially a big spigot of taxpayer dollars straight to private businesses. I used to work the night shift at 7-Eleven, and there were only a few things about EBT that bothered me. Don't really want to hear about how this is an urban legend or racist or whatever because I freaking saw it with my own eyes, every day, every month. One was that many people would have multiple cards in different names. I found out that was because some people sell, say, a $100 EBT card for $50 cash to support their... whatever. Second was that there were certain items in the store that we never sold except the first of the month. You ever look in the freezer at 7-Eleven and wonder who's buying a $7.99 Red Baron pizza you can get at the grocery store for $2.50? Nobody... except EBT customers on the first of the month. Anything in the store that was remotely like "groceries" only had to be restocked the first week of the month. Third was that the receipt shows how much the person has left on their card, and you'd get people LITERALLY hanging around the store at 11:59 on the 1st, waiting for midnight and then spending half of a whole month's allotment... at 7-Eleven, before dawn even came on the first day. Happened every single month. Also, call me crazy, but if you can afford to smoke Newports I'm not sure why we're buying you food.

Also wasn't in a food desert. My store was a mile away from a 24 hour grocery store.

I have no problem whatsoever with the concept of food stamps or welfare, but I always felt like it should be like WIC where you were restricted to grocery store, generic brand, real actual food. I'm happy to give you bread and milk and meat and butter and cheese and fruit and vegetables, but goddammit I hate buying you Doritos and slushies at 300% markup.

I'm not going to argue that buying at a huge mark-up isn't stupid in general, but telling someone what they legally can and cannot eat seems a little hosed up.

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

Plus it makes it so they can't feel superior which is a big thing for Americans.

This is really the heart of it from my experience. I've never been to any other countries, but oh boy do Americans love being "special."

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:
Yeah the sandwiches are in, I work at a supermarket and buy the chilled subs once in a blue moon if I haven't ate. It's hot food that's out, so you can't get the whole chicken if it's cooked(or a sub if it has something hot on it)

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Speaking only for myself, I completely believe that people -- especially kids -- shouldn't be allowed to starve in the United States, even if it takes MAH TAXES to feed them. If the whole point of EBT is to feed the kids... If someone is blowing their whole monthly allotment in three days on stupid overpriced bullshit, what are they eating the other 27 days of the month? Ramen noodles and mac'n'cheese? That's not proper nutrition, and if we have a whole group of kids growing up malnourished that makes our society poorer in many ways.

I'm of course aware that the percentage of our taxes that goes to welfare and food stamps is ludicrously small compared to, say, defense spending or corporate handouts. So it's only a minor annoyance.

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I'm not going to argue that buying at a huge mark-up isn't stupid in general, but telling someone what they legally can and cannot eat seems a little hosed up.

I didn't say you couldn't eat it. I said you shouldn't buy it with someone else's money, especially when they gave it to you with the understanding that you needed it to maintain proper nutrition. You're saying if you only made, say $600 cash at your part-time job in a month you wouldn't spend any of it on junk food? Then why would you spend your food stamps on it?

Imagined has a new favorite as of 01:35 on Sep 11, 2014

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Imagined posted:

Not commenting on the rest, because it would just turn into me ranting, but this is just wrong. Part of the definition of a food desert is how easy it is to access grocery stores. If you've never tried to grocery shop for a whole family without access to a car, you have no idea how far a mile can really be when you need to get those groceries from the store to your place. I live riiiiight on the outskirts of a food desert (we are about 1/2 a mile to the nearest grocery store), and the only reason we were able to actually still reasonably shop at that store when we were without a working vehicle was because the Dollar Tree that closed in that shopping center forgot one of their shopping carts when they left, and we took it on home with us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Amused to Death posted:

Yeah the sandwiches are in, I work at a supermarket and buy the chilled subs once in a blue moon if I haven't ate. It's hot food that's out, so you can't get the whole chicken if it's cooked(or a sub if it has something hot on it)

The winco I used to work in would charge you 1$ for "cooking" so you could buy poo poo at the pizza / deli place and have it cooked but you had to pay 1$ in cash over ebt.

Last time I checked wic also would only let you buy certain poo poo because it is 100% about getting the pregnant mother and young child the correct amount of nutrition

snergle has a new favorite as of 02:05 on Sep 11, 2014

• Locked thread