Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Endorph posted:

Yeah, just adds. The boosts are here. It's worth taking a look at since some don't do what you'd think, like the sword band being +skill and luck instead of a speed boost.

Why the heck are the Priest and Pegasus bands exactly the same?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Does anyone have a current link to the randomizer? The thread on Serenes has a dead download link (and the Github, which is only updates it looks like), and I haven't been able to find anything through various searches.

EDIT: I found it and it's kind of bullshit. You have to have a Serenes Forest Forums account, and that enables you to see the link in the creator's signature when you're logged in. I'll repost it for anyone else who cares here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12592553/Cam%27s%20Notes/folDIR.html

It's chapter 1 and I've already won the game, more or less. Thanks Sain.

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Sep 7, 2014

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Did they ever finish 7 or 8 support? or was it forgotton like most things on the internet

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

If you're referring to the randomizer, you can use it for all three GBA games now, though I'm not sure how finished/buggy it is for 6 and 8.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

The Shortest Path posted:

Does anyone have a current link to the randomizer? The thread on Serenes has a dead download link (and the Github, which is only updates it looks like), and I haven't been able to find anything through various searches.

EDIT: I found it and it's kind of bullshit. You have to have a Serenes Forest Forums account, and that enables you to see the link in the creator's signature when you're logged in. I'll repost it for anyone else who cares here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12592553/Cam%27s%20Notes/folDIR.html

It's chapter 1 and I've already won the game, more or less. Thanks Sain.

Amusingly enough Lyn's stats are only barely distinguishable from her Lord bases :shepface:

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

How exactly does the save file linking between Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn work? I never bothered with it the first time I played Radiant Dawn. If you let a character die in PoR, do they not come back in RD?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

mabels big day posted:

How exactly does the save file linking between Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn work? I never bothered with it the first time I played Radiant Dawn. If you let a character die in PoR, do they not come back in RD?

Dead characters in Path of Radiance just don't get any transfer bonuses, but they still appear in Radiant Dawn.

Any alive character who reached the level cap in Path of Radiance transfers a bonus forward to Radiant Dawn. Specifically, for each stat that they capped, they get a +2 bonus to that stat (+5 to HP), plus a bonus to their weapon ranks. There are some exceptions: Largo isn't playable in Radiant Dawn, so Calill gets his bonuses as well as her own (but they don't stack); Devdan isn't playable in Radiant Dawn, so his bonuses are instead given to the the newcomer Danved; and if Sothe reached level 20, instead of getting bonuses to his Radiant Dawn bases, any of his stats that are higher than his defaults get carried over directly.

Additionally, if you reached support rank A with some pairs in Path of Radiance, the two characters get a Bond support, which is different from and stacks with the Buddy (regular) support system. A few rank A support pairs unlock additional story sequences; the most significant of these is Ike and Soren (which is a prerequisite for the additional ending stuff in a second playthrough of Radiant Dawn), but there are a few others that I can't recall.

Also, those Coins that you found in Path of Radiance? Radiant Dawn is where you get to spend them.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
As a side note too, you can't transfer over easy difficulty saves due to a bug. Just fyi.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

BrightWing posted:

As a side note too, you can't transfer over easy difficulty saves due to a bug. Just fyi.

That's fine because I'm on hard.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

BrightWing posted:

You can if you don't have a first print of Radiant Dawn.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Volt Catfish posted:

You can if you don't have a first print of Radiant Dawn.
You mean you didn't buy Radiant Dawn the day it was released? What sort of Fire Emblem fan are you?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I've still never played that game and got bored of FE9 in the first ten chapters. :toot: Maybe they'll get ported to 3DS and I can give them another go, console Fire Emblem is not something I want.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Whaaaaaaaaaat FE9 rules. It was by and far my favourite before Awakening came out.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I can understand not liking 9 or 10 as much as the handheld games. While the series technically started on home consoles, it really feels more at home when it's on something you can reset quickly. FE9 was also a much slower game in general that the games before it, so I lose patience with it a lot faster, too.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, the little 16-bit Geneology/Tharica SNES sprites poking each other with sticks was the most endearing thing ever and never got old, but it really did not translate to 3D at all, especially after three games of field attacks just being two guys ramming each other.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
Yeah FE works perfectly well on handhelds but I don't mind playing them on consoles. I like seeing the map on a giant screen. Plus FE9/10 had all those laguz and dragons everywhere.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool
I don't think I've spent more than one or two battles with the battle scenes on in a Fire Emblem game since... what, Sacred Stones? They always made it feel like the action was grinding to a halt; I'm perfectly fine watching the little sprites dash into/wail on each other to keep things moving quickly. I might turn them on if I want to see a particular unit's full animation, but 99% of the time they're off.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

I only keep the battle animations on in Awakening and that has everything to do with how well the music transitions between the map and fight versions.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I have animations on for the player phase, off for the enemy phase.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The animations in Awakening are the best, uh, animated of the 3D Fire Emblems but the models are still ugly as gently caress so I turned them off after a while. I kept them on for years with the sprite games but after a while you just want things to speed up.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

The animations in Awakening are the best, uh, animated of the 3D Fire Emblems but the models are still ugly as gently caress so I turned them off after a while. I kept them on for years with the sprite games but after a while you just want things to speed up.

But Awakening literally has a speedup button :confused:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Read it again.

Manatee Cannon posted:

but the models are still ugly as gently caress so I turned them off after a while

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I usually leave animations on in case I missed an enemy with a dangerous weapon or something like that, but usually skip them as soon as I've seen the damage numbers.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I always watch the animations. I think they look cool.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Animations are another best part of the fire emblem experience and the only thing missing from them now that we have the speedup button are battle voices. the sooner this series becomes super robot wars the better

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Animations are another best part of the fire emblem experience and the only thing missing from them now that we have the speedup button are battle voices. the sooner this series becomes super robot wars the better

But Awakening has people talking in battle.

Often and enthusiastically.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

It'd be perfect if I could turn animations off in Awakening, but keep the crit/skill voice lines on

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
I'd been following the Radiancechat earlier in the thread and was on that mindset and it made me forget about the voices in Awakening somehow :downs: The suggestion in the post above is good and awesome too. Also, we need the previous games' characters voiced because super robot wars again. maybe even get older-generation voice actors to do them.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

chiasaur11 posted:

But Awakening has people talking in battle.

Often and enthusiastically.

I always give Nah Vengeance because I love the way she yells "I'M SO STRONG!" and I want to hear it as often as I can. Even if she's at full HP and Vengeance isn't going to have any impact.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

The GBA animations are really top-notch. They were easily my favorite part of playing the games when I was younger, especially in 7 when you get the Lords' final weapons and they all come with special animations. All the smears and stretches and flashy effects were just awesome, and still look great today.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
I would rather have an option turn all animations off, but turn them on when anyone activates a skill/crit. That way you can skip the mundane combat but immediately notice if anything big is gonna happen.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
In case anybody cares, there's now a TAS of FE11. Generally less entertaining than the GBA TASes (surprise surprise), but notable in that the game can be beaten in 12 minutes even without crazy luck manipulation (which is largely impossible in that game).

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
I leave the animations on because it gives me warning of an enemy with unusually high crit chance, damage, or strange weapons. Though I really appreciate the newer games allowing me to skip individual animations once I determine that nothing interesting is going to happen in that round.

e: Also, as far as my opinion goes, the GBA games are still the best looking in the series. Even without the option to skip individual rounds I'd never turn the animations off.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

cheetah7071 posted:

In case anybody cares, there's now a TAS of FE11. Generally less entertaining than the GBA TASes (surprise surprise), but notable in that the game can be beaten in 12 minutes even without crazy luck manipulation (which is largely impossible in that game).

No wonder that game doesn't care about its units, Marth can just do it all by himself.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Momomo posted:

No wonder that game doesn't care about its units, Marth can just do it all by himself.

So that's who Lucina was trying to emulate.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

cheetah7071 posted:

drat, I forgot just how many warp staves that game gave you. Also, for a tool assisted run you could in theory have the best rng manipulation of all the games in the series because you could set the clock with perfect precision allowing you to cherry pick the exact seed you want for your run.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Where can you find decent guides\walkthroughs of the series?

Trying my hands on Sword of Seals and the Gamefaqs guides are made by people who like the underage characters a bit too much, effectively ignore entire maps and just say "yeah there's a village with treasure in the north, kill boss".

I just want someone to hold my babby hands and teach me what the hell this whole companions and secret map poo poo is :smith:

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Mans posted:

Where can you find decent guides\walkthroughs of the series?

Trying my hands on Sword of Seals and the Gamefaqs guides are made by people who like the underage characters a bit too much, effectively ignore entire maps and just say "yeah there's a village with treasure in the north, kill boss".

I just want someone to hold my babby hands and teach me what the hell this whole companions and secret map poo poo is :smith:

Serenes Forest is the place for Fire Emblem info.
http://serenesforest.net/binding-blade/

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

honestly for chapter to chapter walkthroughs Firemblemwod is probably better:

http://www.fireemblemwod.com/fe6/guiafe6/ENG_capitulo1fe6.htm

e: Although looking quickly I guess not all of the chapters for fe6 have english translations so maybe not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cake Attack posted:

honestly for chapter to chapter walkthroughs Firemblemwod is probably better:

http://www.fireemblemwod.com/fe6/guiafe6/ENG_capitulo1fe6.htm

e: Although looking quickly I guess not all of the chapters for fe6 have english translations so maybe not.

The Spanish version is very much complete and is exactly what i'm looking for, thanks.