Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

angor posted:

I just moved into a new place and the last tenant left behind a pair of Henckels kitchen shears that come apart. They are AWESOME!

That's the big thing I'd look for. They are so much easier (and i would imagine safer) to clean when they come apart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

That's the big thing I'd look for. They are so much easier (and i would imagine safer) to clean when they come apart.
Among Amazon's top sellers <$20, there are a few good looking come apart options.

These Wustof would probably be my top pick: http://www.amazon.com/Wusthof-5558-1-Come-Apart-Kitchen-Shears/dp/B0000631ZM/

These look to be the same, just with soft grip handles, but are $6 cheaper for some reason: http://www.amazon.com/Wusthof-Come-Apart-Kitchen-Shear-Soft/dp/B00BQMNF6M/

These Ergo Chef look cleverly designed but I'm not familiar with the quality of the brand: http://www.amazon.com/Ergo-Chef-Function-Come-Apart-Scissors/dp/B009PBSDNG/

These Messermeister look like a German torture device: http://www.amazon.com/Messermeister-8-Inch-Take-Apart-Kitchen-Scissors/dp/B000VS6CAS/

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Aug 29, 2014

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

Short of finding a Robot Coupe at a liquidating restaurant, it seems like the 2 highest end food processors available are the Magimix and Breville Sous Chef. The Magimix being slightly more expensive, but made in France instead of China. Anyone have any opinions on the two?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Kreez posted:

Short of finding a Robot Coupe at a liquidating restaurant, it seems like the 2 highest end food processors available are the Magimix and Breville Sous Chef. The Magimix being slightly more expensive, but made in France instead of China. Anyone have any opinions on the two?

I own a Magimix 5200XL, and the quality is much better than any Cuisinart or KA I've used. I have not used a Breville, but instead bought the Magimix because of the warranty, Sabatier blades, and Robot Coupe motor. It hasn't strained or stopped, or even slowed very much, on anything I've put in there. I'm pretty sure I could dispose of a body with it.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
I have a cheap $40 black & decker food processor. It can make nut butters just as well as the R2 robot coupe at work. It's also loving loud, like someone stuck a table saw motor in a small appliance.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

Eeyo posted:

I ended up buying that grinder, and it definitely powered through the chickpeas pretty easily. I'm currently baking them and the texture came out pretty good - somewhat tender, but with distinct chickpea bits. Much better than what inspired me to get it in the first place: mushy, uniform falafels. Ugh. I'm looking forward to eating more falafels than any sane man should. I'm also going to experiment with other beans and see how it goes.

This is awesome, I need to get me a grinder.

Try fava beans next!

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Thermapens on sale, brown only, $85 (normally $100). Hands-down the best "stab a thing and find out how hot it is" tool on the market.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Are there any actual stores you can buy a Thermapen in? Or do you pretty much have to order them online?

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

fart simpson posted:

Are there any actual stores you can buy a Thermapen in? Or do you pretty much have to order them online?

Yeah I've seen them in restaurant supply stores. You could probably also find one in a Williams Sonoma type place if you hate money.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.
Is there a recommended microwave of the GWS community?

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Thermapens on sale, brown only, $85 (normally $100). Hands-down the best "stab a thing and find out how hot it is" tool on the market.

Thanks for that, been waiting for a new sale. The brown is ugly but whatever.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Shrimpy posted:

I have this, it's great. You have to disable the loud beeping though, poo poo is shrill.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Waring-Pro-Professional-Toaster-Oven-TCO650/203019049

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.

plotskee posted:

Help me goons, you're my only hope. My spice collection is a bloody mess and I want to move everything into the same type of container (maybe two sizes to accommodate different rates of use). Any suggestions? Going for a nice aesthetic and longterm storage, here...

I've never used these but a friend I went to school with designed these with her dad, they do it all themselves (injection molding, design, etc). They're doing pretty well apparently? http://shop.spicestor.com

Armchair Calvinist posted:

Hey guys,

What would you recommend for durable white square plates? I'd like something similar to Lenox and Corelle that is chip and scratch resistant but I can't seem to find a style by either manufacturer that is similar to this:

My gf gets them at world market cheap

Not an Anthem fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Sep 8, 2014

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Looking for good wooden spoons. I've got a few that I love but are starting to split. Everything I seem to find online is cheap crap. Any recommendations?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

1redflag posted:

Looking for good wooden spoons. I've got a few that I love but are starting to split. Everything I seem to find online is cheap crap. Any recommendations?

I have an Oxo wooden spoon that has held up really well, even thrown in the dishwasher. Make sure to oil it a couple times a year with mineral oil and it should be fine.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

1redflag posted:

I have these, and I really like them. I've left them in water over night a couple times accidentally, and they're still solid. Can't see them ever cracking.
http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/calphalon-reg-3-piece-wood-spoon-set/1014840257

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

mindphlux posted:

I have this, it's great. You have to disable the loud beeping though, poo poo is shrill.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Waring-Pro-Professional-Toaster-Oven-TCO650/203019049

That's a toaster oven, not a microwave...?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

The Midniter posted:

That's a toaster oven, not a microwave...?

Don't be ungrateful. Show some respect.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Shrimpy posted:

I liked my Panasonic enough to get another one at work.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Shrimpy posted:

Any Panasonic model with their Inverter tech. It means that instead of pulsing on-off-on-off to achieve less than maximum power, the microwave actually runs at lower power.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
For an over the stove microwave I've been really happy with my LG microwave that was Consumer Report's pick about 5 years ago. It doesn't have a fancy inverter but has been flawless in operation for years. Nice large interior, and the popcorn button works every time to pop microwave popcorn that doesn't burn.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I am looking for a recommendation for a big griddle/flat pan to put across two of the burners on our gas stove and improve our cooking area. Basically, I cook pancakes for the family on Sundays and our current pan (not exactly but pretty much this) is too small to cook for us all.

I was going to do the simple thing and just get Amazon's leading griddle, but there are some convincing reviews that make it look like it wouldn't fit properly on my stove. So now I don't know. I feel like I am supposed to want cast iron for this, but is there any reason not to look at cast aluminum or something else?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

IMO get an electric if you won't go cast iron.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Get a pizza steel and put it across two burners.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Ashcans posted:

I was going to do the simple thing and just get Amazon's leading griddle, but there are some convincing reviews that make it look like it wouldn't fit properly on my stove. So now I don't know. I feel like I am supposed to want cast iron for this, but is there any reason not to look at cast aluminum or something else?

I have a Lodge (not 100% sure if it's that one, I left it at my parents since I have an electric stove) but it hotspots really bad. Like burn half the pancakes and the middle ones don't cook. Weird. And I loving looove cast iron.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Thanks for the advice! Unfortunately we don't really have space for an electric version, our kitchen has a terrible lack of both counterspace and outlets, so we need to find something to work on the stove.

Hed posted:

Get a pizza steel and put it across two burners.

Would that be something like this? I can definitely look into that.

Bob Morales posted:

I have a Lodge (not 100% sure if it's that one, I left it at my parents since I have an electric stove) but it hotspots really bad. Like burn half the pancakes and the middle ones don't cook. Weird. And I loving looove cast iron.

Maybe its a good thing that I backed off from that after all, then. Comparison shopping online is always exhausting because it seems like every product has a dozen 1-star reviews because it maimed the buyer and destroyed their home. :(

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Ashcans posted:

Would that be something like this? I can definitely look into that.
That actually looks good for pancakes, although super pricey. It has a non-stick coating, so don't ever let it get hot, always keep at medium.

How about this?
http://www.amazon.com/Nordic-Ware-2...dicware+griddle

It goes across two burners, is aluminum and non-stick, perfect for pancakes.

There's a "grand reversible" variant on that page for $50 that seems to be 20x12 in case you need more surface area or have a larger stovetop.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Sep 10, 2014

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
I need a blowtorch to blow torch some meat I'm sous-viding.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Bernzomatic-TS4000KC-Trigger-Start-Torch-Kit-336634/203368730

is this sufficient for what I need it for?

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Shadowhand00 posted:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Bernzomatic-TS4000KC-Trigger-Start-Torch-Kit-336634/203368730

I have & love that exact one.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I had the weaker TS3000 and traded with a friend because they got that TS4000 for free from an abandoned apartment and didn't know what to do with it.

It's frightening how powerful it is.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Shadowhand00 posted:

Yeah that looks like a good one. Do it outside--even if you don't think you're making much smoke, you would be amazed how quickly torching inside will set off every smoke alarm in your house/apartment. Trust me.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

mod sassinator posted:

Yeah that looks like a good one. Do it outside--even if you don't think you're making much smoke, you would be amazed how quickly torching inside will set off every smoke alarm in your house/apartment. Trust me.

Seriously, doesn't matter what I do when I'm inside, I always trigger the alarms.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Are there any smoke detectors that aren't a huge pain in the rear end for cooks? Maybe something that detects temperatures over 110° instead of freaking out every time you roast a chicken?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Anne Whateley posted:

Are there any smoke detectors that aren't a huge pain in the rear end for cooks? Maybe something that detects temperatures over 110° instead of freaking out every time you roast a chicken?

Not that I've seen, most these days are optical and atomic so steam doesn't set them off as easily but hot black smoke from broiling/searing is still a problem.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

mod sassinator posted:

Not that I've seen, most these days are optical and atomic so steam doesn't set them off as easily but hot black smoke from broiling/searing is still a problem.

Arguably, "hot black smoke" false positives are the way you want the system to bias.

I'd love one with a button I could press that meant "shut up until you stop smelling smoke for 60 seconds, then reactivate".

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Anne Whateley posted:

That really expensive Nest smoke detector at least lets you silence it from your phone. I think it also has some special cooking features.

edit: what temp do you roast chickens at? I've found I dont really start to get smoke until around 420 degrees with chicken.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
The TS8000 is recommended for the Searzall. On the off chance it ever ships, and is not a crappy gimmick, you'd be halfway there.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

geetee posted:

The TS8000 is recommended for the Searzall. On the off chance it ever ships, and is not a crappy gimmick, you'd be halfway there.

I want tp get this and mount the bottle under the cabinet.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

That really expensive Nest smoke detector at least lets you silence it from your phone. I think it also has some special cooking features.

edit: what temp do you roast chickens at? I've found I dont really start to get smoke until around 420 degrees with chicken.
Bouchon :supaburn: and I do it at least once a week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

I'd love a "pause for an hour" feature on the smoke detector. That would be ample time for me to cook and air out whatever, and then it can go back to sniffing for actual "gonna kill ya" smoke.

• Locked thread