Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Chris de Sperg posted:

It does get called but it really shouldn't because there's nothing wrong with hits like that honestly

I suspect it was the tackle there because there's no reason to pick up a guy that far out wide when it's a screen going the other way. I guess Occam's razor here would be the guard because it's 100-game vet Donald Penn vs debutant Gabe Jackson but I don't know under what loving scheme you wouldn't have the tackle pick up the D-end there.

I suspect it's a matter of enforcement. Refs can't be expected to distinguish between fine points in real time. The intent of the rule is to protect the quarterback, and it doesn't matter whether he meant to do it or not. Similar to the philosophy of the roughing the kicker rule.

Linemen are expected to learn to slide to the side on a tackle and not land on top of him. If that proves impossible or unfeasible, they may change the rule, but landing on the QB will get you a flag nearly all the time whether you actually intended to drive him into the ground or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

Deteriorata posted:

I suspect it's a matter of enforcement. Refs can't be expected to distinguish between fine points in real time. The intent of the rule is to protect the quarterback, and it doesn't matter whether he meant to do it or not. Similar to the philosophy of the roughing the kicker rule.

Linemen are expected to learn to slide to the side on a tackle and not land on top of him. If that proves impossible or unfeasible, they may change the rule, but landing on the QB will get you a flag nearly all the time whether you actually intended to drive him into the ground or not.
Yeah, that makes sense. Realistically I don't think there's any way Richardson could have avoided that hit, but I suppose that's just something you've got to take as an occupational hazard - he wouldn't have gotten there unless he was barrelling at full speed in that way, but it was that way which made it impossible to really back out of. Just another one of those cases in football where there's a risk/reward thing to how you approach things technically I guess.

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

Gabe Jackson manhandling Muhammad Wilkerson

so good

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Deteriorata posted:

Canned Panda posted it in the GDT:

I almost want to cheer for the Lions, it's crazy.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Chris de Sperg posted:

so good

if only every player on the oline was that good

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Was it ever explained, at all, why the let Veldheer go?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I vaguely remember some rumor that they claimed he was impossible to work with through the free agency process and they blamed his brother or something.

I'd guess they probably just didn't want to give a lot of money to a guy who didn't play for most of 2013 though.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Chris de Sperg posted:

so good

Gabe Jackson has learned the vulcan nerve pinch

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
Can I put this here?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

PrinceRandom posted:

I almost want to cheer for the Lions, it's crazy.

You should. They've got a lot of really cool dudes and when they win a Super Bowl we get to call Detroit Dogg an annoying homer bandwagoner.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Chris de Sperg posted:

so good

The quality is bad but isn't he holding pretty badly?

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Eifert Posting posted:

The quality is bad but isn't he holding pretty badly?

From what I've seen, holding the jersey at the sleeve isn't usually called.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Chilichimp posted:

From what I've seen, holding the jersey at the sleeve isn't usually called.

They mentioned this during NFL Insiders yesterday. Grabbing at the sleeve and at the collar's "V" in the front aren't often called, and linemen are encouraged to do it. They used a clip of Suh grabbing an O-Linemen by his collar throwing the linemen towards the ground while propelling himself through the line.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
With holding aren't they also looking more for a player be restrained by the hold, not necessarily just grasping the jersey?

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

DangerKat posted:

With holding aren't they also looking more for a player be restrained by the hold, not necessarily just grasping the jersey?

Usually, they're looking for a wrapped arm or pulling on the uniform of a player that is trying to run away from a blocker. If both players are actively blocking each other, like we see in the gif, then its not holding.

Holding on the offensive line usually happens when a lineman gets beat and has to break the rules to save the QB from being eaten alive.

Here's another really good one.

It's a run play, so it's not a broken protection but a whiffed block by a lineman. 63 clearly missed his block; the defender never engaged in a block with him and was running towards the play while 63 impeded him. It's very likely he would have saved the 2-pnt conversion if he hadn't be held.

The lovely part about these examples is I'm pretty sure neither of them were called. Nobody makes gif's of holds that got called and puts them on the internet. To take the time/effort to showcase a hold, you've got to have a certain level of outrage.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Sep 11, 2014

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

DangerKat posted:

To add to the very good post above, the way that I've been coached to block everywhere I played as the ideal scenario is to aim to hit the player on the outside of their numbers or so with your first punch and then get a grip onto their pads (not just their jersey), at which point you've got the upper hand on them and it's hard for them to move in any direction. You're 100% looking to restrain them. 'Holding' is something of a misnomer; as in the post above, you've pretty much got to wrap around for it to get called usually, and even then it's hit-and-miss.

Ugly Tony
May 6, 2005

It's not even Tuesday, dog

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Was it ever explained, at all, why the let Veldheer go?

At some point during their talks Veldheer appointed his brother as his agent. According to the Raiders camp they became impossible to work, feelings were hurt and he eventually took less money to go to Arizona rather than staying in Oakland.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Haha, Jesus. From the baseball .gif thread (which everyone should follow even if you don't like baseball):

Phthisis posted:

I was inspired by football season, and now I'm going to hell.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
Can we get one of him kicking the bills fan from the top rafters?
source:

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

oh dear.

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

I hear the Harlem Globetrotters have offered a contract

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Grittybeard posted:

Haha, Jesus. From the baseball .gif thread (which everyone should follow even if you don't like baseball):

Owns. Following that thread now.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

jaguars.gif

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Anybody got Jones' blocked FG return?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
From Winkie in the GDT. This may possibly be Chris Conte's only highlight of his career but goddamn it's a beautiful one:

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Grittybeard posted:

From Winkie in the GDT. This may possibly be Chris Conte's only highlight of his career but goddamn it's a beautiful one:

Conte had a pretty sweet pick in the Bills game too. I mean, dude blows, but he can occasionally get an interception which is why he continues to stay on the Bears and not riding the rails.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

It's like bizzaro Green.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

And Hurns is reportedly super duper hard on himself when he messes up. Seriously, his first two NFL catches ever were for two touchdowns, and he was reportedly pissed because he missed a ridiculous Hennebomb later on in the game. He was also in double coverage most of today's game.

And now he's broken. Hopefully he heals up soon and becomes the bellyest of cows for bort.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Russell not paying attention to his bullshit meter again.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

I know I've seen this dance before somewhere...

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

I would absolutely love it if someone could gif that moment in the Seahawks-Chargers game where Lynch is on the sideline completely chilling out under shade with some mist and fans blowing on him.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Eifert Posting posted:

I know I've seen this dance before somewhere...

That's some pro level white guy head bobbing by 89 too.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
TE/FB UDFA from Stanford. Hard to be more white.

Elston Gunn
Apr 15, 2005

Faltese Malkin
Aug 22, 2005
Georgetown

This makes me want to become a Bears fan

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
what is going on there?

Elston Gunn
Apr 15, 2005

Marshmallow Blue posted:

what is going on there?
Whatever normally goes on in Cutler's brain.
http://deadspin.com/jay-cutler-is-a-goofy-press-conference-sidekick-1634823360

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
He's drunk as a lord though, right?

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

stubblyhead posted:

He's drunk as a lord though, right?

He looks like Terry Kiser in Weekend at Bernies, and by that I mean, he's definitely not operating under his own power.

Faltese Malkin posted:

This makes me want to become a Bears fan

This.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

Cutler is such an awesome weirdo. There's really no other way to put it.

• Locked thread