Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

This was good especially if you had a little sibling who wanted to play but didn't get in your way.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory had a pretty kick-rear end co-op. It was separate but related to the main story line with Sam, but you played as 2 other agents. Interaction with Lambert and Grim and all that jazz was still there. I think there may have been some dialog with Sam, but I can't remember for sure. Been a while since I played.

I can say that playing co-op via local system link in separate rooms with headsets is the best way to play it though.

Conviction's coop is pretty good and has its own story that leads into the main game. The finale's pretty great if it's both players' first time through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

Babe Magnet posted:

Dead Rising 2: Off The Record, which is an alternate take on Dead Rising 2 where you play as the series first protag (Frank West), and the co-op player in that plays as the original DR2's main character, Chuck Greene.
Another little thing: Off the Record reintroduced the camera mechanic to the series, which was absent from vanilla Dead Rising 2. Frank uses the fancy professional camera he had in the first game. Chuck can take pictures too, but his camera is just a cheap disposable.

Edit:

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory had a pretty kick-rear end co-op. It was separate but related to the main story line with Sam, but you played as 2 other agents. Interaction with Lambert and Grim and all that jazz was still there. I think there may have been some dialog with Sam, but I can't remember for sure. Been a while since I played.
You do in one little spot in the North Korea mission. As Sam, you have to interrogate a guy that has info the co-op agents need. It goes something like this:

Co-op guy: OK, see if you can get the code from him.
Sam (to guard): Tell me the code.
Guard: Never!
Sam: He's not talking, should I kill him?
Co-op agent: No, we need him alive!
Sam (to guard): OK, they say I should kill you.
Guard: No, I'll tell you!

Pretty much every interrogation in Chaos Theory would fit this thread.

Jokymi has a new favorite as of 19:30 on Sep 10, 2014

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Action Tortoise posted:

This was good especially if you had a little sibling who wanted to play but didn't get in your way.

If that's the goal, super mario galaxy is fantastic.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Time Splitters: Future Perfect for the original XBox did coop pretty well, even changing cutscenes when the extra character wouldn't have made sense.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I remember Rainbow Six Vegas 2's co-op was fun. The Terrorist Hunt missions were a lot of fun and often very challenging, and in the campaign the second player just dropped in as another Rainbow operative. Having another player in the co-op campaign made things much more pleasant because if one of you hosed up and died you got a respawn timer instead of having start a section over again, so it made everything much more lenient.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Hannibal Smith posted:

Pretty much every interrogation in Chaos Theory would fit this thread.

"Oh my god, you're a ninja!"

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Hannibal Smith posted:

Another little thing: Off the Record reintroduced the camera mechanic to the series, which was absent from vanilla Dead Rising 2. Frank uses the fancy professional camera he had in the first game. Chuck can take pictures too, but his camera is just a cheap disposable.

You also get bonus EXP in various categories for taking pictures of various things, i.e. "horror" for someone being attacked by zombies, "violence" for a zombie's head exploding, that sort of thing. While both versions of DR2 have the main character needing to get a drug that stops people fully turning into zombies, in DR2 it's the main character's daughter but in OTR it is the main character.

Long story short, if your co-op partner takes a picture of the main character while he's injecting himself with the anti-zombie drug, it gives a bunch of bonus EXP in either the "Horror" or "Drama" categories (not sure which). You can only get that particular bonus in co-op.

President Ark has a new favorite as of 22:33 on Sep 10, 2014

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Lotish posted:

I remember Rainbow Six Vegas 2's co-op was fun. The Terrorist Hunt missions were a lot of fun and often very challenging, and in the campaign the second player just dropped in as another Rainbow operative. Having another player in the co-op campaign made things much more pleasant because if one of you hosed up and died you got a respawn timer instead of having start a section over again, so it made everything much more lenient.

Say what you will about Call of Duty, but the Modern Warfare 2 Spec Ops missions were the most fun I've ever had in a co-op video game. When my PS3 died and lost all my save data I was actually excited because I had an excuse to play Overwatch again.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Babe Magnet posted:

Dead Rising 2: Off The Record, which is an alternate take on Dead Rising 2 where you play as the series first protag (Frank West), and the co-op player in that plays as the original DR2's main character, Chuck Greene.

That's a little weird, since you can kill Greene in the main game.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Lord Lambeth posted:

Well, they make it clear from the start that OTR is completely non-canon.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.

Lord Lambeth posted:

There's two logbook entries for Chuck Greene in OTR. One's the psychopath, the other one is the boss fight.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing
And in the original DR2 when you play co-op, player 1 and player 2 control two separate Chuck Greenes. It all fits together.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Male Man posted:

And in the original DR2 when you play co-op, player 1 and player 2 control two separate Chuck Greenes. It all fits together.

Chucks Greene. :colbert:

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Lord Lambeth posted:

You fight Chuck, you don't kill him as he completely vanishes after you defeat him and his logbook entry doesn't say dead either.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Co-op chat:

Kirby Superstar handled co-ok well; Kirby could create minions that could be controlled by the second controller. Also, the Lego games are great for drop-in drop-out co-op. Also, one of the PS2 Armored Core games had a separate co-op mode with all new missions that often had the players ending up in a battle against one another due to conflicting client orders; it was prety neat, playing into the whole mercenary "Ravens" mythos of the series.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Portal 2's co-op is probably the most fun I've ever had in multiplayer. Especially when both of us did the opposite of 99% of people and kept looking up, but never looked down. We spent 30 minutes on one puzzle because we never noticed the HUGE PIT in the middle of the room you were supposed to fling yourself with.

Honestly, there's very little that is more satisfying in a game where you or your partner figures out a puzzle, and helping the other reach that eureka moment where you both understand your goal and how to achieve it, and then do so.

poo poo, does anyone have any good co-op maps for Portal 2? My buddy and I beat the extra levels Valve released but now I want more.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Didn't Peace Walker have pretty decent co-op?

You could both be Snake, even though your partner only saw you as a generic MSF soldier. And the introductory cutscene was slightly different if you had a buddy with you.

When Snake gets captured by the baddies, your buddy gets to sneak out of the prison and can even fiddle with knobs to make Snake's torture QTE easier or harder.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

LoonShia posted:

When Snake gets captured by the baddies, your buddy gets to sneak out of the prison and can even fiddle with knobs to make Snake's torture QTE easier or harder.

:stare:

Holy poo poo. I'm tempted to buy my brother a ps3 and both of us a copy of this game now. "Its kinda easy isn't it? HOW ABOUT NOW?!"

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Any co-op game where you can gently caress each other over is guaranteed to be at least a little bit amazing.

See: almost every Mario game in the past decade or so.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

I got an obscure alternate history Czech made RTS from 2001 called Original War on sale from Steam. I only just started it, but the plot of the game revolves around a time machine that allows one way time travel 2,000,000 years into the past. The American campaign starts with a tutorial set before the main character, an American soldier, enters the machine in a plot by the US to mine rare minerals from Siberia in the past and transport them to America. However, you can choose not step in to it when you arrive. The campaign immediately ends if you do, and you get a cut scene where he marries a side character and raises a kid, wondering if he betrayed his country for his own happiness as he watches a news report on CNN about Russian forces reaching Indianapolis.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

That sounds brilliant. I like that kind of alternate history ending. The 'canon' ending of the fairly unremarkable Singularity played with it a little as well, with the player character doing time travel shenanigans - I won't spoil it but there's a great little "wait, what the hell just happened there?" at the very end of the game.

Edit: actually I like those half alternate ending half railroading a little "gently caress you" endings. The "reject" ending in mass effect three is a funny one, as it's mostly bio ware saying "don't like our endings? gently caress you, players!" and it makes me laugh to think of how enraged it makes people years after release.

lenoon has a new favorite as of 08:38 on Sep 11, 2014

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Original War owns. It's still available for almost no money on Steam, I highly recommend it. It's not the most polished RTS, but it's quite unique.

Here's another cool thing it does: Since the game takes place in the distant past, your personnel are limited by how many have actually been through the time machine. The upshot of this is that if a soldier dies, they die forever and you won't be able to use them for the rest of the campaign.

If you replay a mission in which you lost a soldier, you can have them survive it, but instead of being able to jump back to a later mission and use the newly revived soldier, it creates a branching timeline on the campaign screen - one for each time you completed a mission more than once. If you're a perfectionist, you can easily have dozens of aborted timelines reminding you of every time you decided you could do better, but also still allowing you to continue from there if you want to see what that mission would've been like if you'd accepted the loss of your best mechanic or whatever.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Babe Magnet posted:

Any co-op game where you can gently caress each other over is guaranteed to be at least a little bit amazing.

New Super Mario Bros. U

It is so easy to gently caress each other over in this game. You will always jump too close to your partner and then bounce off of them to get big air while they fall into the pit or you'll bounce them into the path of a Bullet Bill. It's great.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Action Tortoise posted:

New Super Mario Bros. U

It is so easy to gently caress each other over in this game. You will always jump too close to your partner and then bounce off of them to get big air while they fall into the pit or you'll bounce them into the path of a Bullet Bill. It's great.

The counter to that was whatever Mario game had them appear in a bubble if they died. My nephew wasn't very co-op friendly and kept getting me killed, so I chucked him down a hole and cleared the level, dodging him every time he tried to get close to get busted out. It was like a whole extra level of fun to be had.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
I never played it so I can't speak for the quality, but the main selling point of F3AR was the asynchronous co-op that was woven into the story. It certainly sounded interesting, what with one player being a karate gunman and the other being a poltergeist.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Kruller posted:

The counter to that was whatever Mario game had them appear in a bubble if they died. My nephew wasn't very co-op friendly and kept getting me killed, so I chucked him down a hole and cleared the level, dodging him every time he tried to get close to get busted out. It was like a whole extra level of fun to be had.

Ride a Yoshi and then eat him. Jump off a pit and ditch your Yoshi.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

lenoon posted:

That sounds brilliant. I like that kind of alternate history ending. The 'canon' ending of the fairly unremarkable Singularity played with it a little as well, with the player character doing time travel shenanigans - I won't spoil it but there's a great little "wait, what the hell just happened there?" at the very end of the game.

Doesn't it just turn out things changed because you saved that scientist dude? Which wasn't a twist at all, it was just an obvious fact

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Babe Magnet posted:

Zelda: Four Swords was fantastic for loving each other over. You could hit each other with swords and you'd drop collectible gems, I think whoever has the most gems at the end of a level is the winner but I can't remember what they won. Once me and the friends I was playing with found a room full of bombs and just blew each other up for like half an hour.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Super Mario 3D World's introduction of a crown was amazing. It was just a lovely little crown that the winner of the previous level wears (earned by having the most points), and it's worth a few thousand points at the end of the current level.

But it can be knocked off and picked up by someone else.

Cue me and my friends turning every level into a free-for-all, trying to knock down the crowned person without actually tossing them into a pit or something, as that loses the crown, then making a mad dash for the exit while the three other players try to hunt them down for their sweet sweet bounty.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

EmmyOk posted:

Doesn't it just turn out things changed because you saved that scientist dude? Which wasn't a twist at all, it was just an obvious fact

That's made clear pretty quickly. At the end of the game you get a choice as to what to do, with one choice being go back in time to the start of the game and shoot your past self.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Morpheus posted:

Super Mario 3D World's introduction of a crown was amazing. It was just a lovely little crown that the winner of the previous level wears (earned by having the most points), and it's worth a few thousand points at the end of the current level.

But it can be knocked off and picked up by someone else.

Cue me and my friends turning every level into a free-for-all, trying to knock down the crowned person without actually tossing them into a pit or something, as that loses the crown, then making a mad dash for the exit while the three other players try to hunt them down for their sweet sweet bounty.

Plessie, from the same game, is pretty much controlled Jäger style. All players have control of it at the same time.
It's actually pretty funny, and it feels great to finally get that one loving Green star.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Action Tortoise posted:

Conviction's coop is pretty good and has its own story that leads into the main game. The finale's pretty great if it's both players' first time through.
To add to this (if you're planning to play it yourself I really recommend not reading this), Conviction's co-op ends with the credits rolling while the two agents get into a cargo plane or something for extraction, and both of them just relaxing while they check in with their respective superiors on opposite sides of the plane. Then suddenly (if you're playing local at least) the game goes to splitscreen, and one agent receives an order to kill the other, while the second one gets a message that he's in danger from the first agent. This leads to an awesomely tense one-shot-kill fight against your co-op partner, and since the plane is filled with cargo boxes there's a ton of opportunities for cover and sneaking. It rules, and the ending changes depending on who wins too.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

HMS Boromir posted:

If you replay a mission in which you lost a soldier, you can have them survive it, but instead of being able to jump back to a later mission and use the newly revived soldier, it creates a branching timeline on the campaign screen - one for each time you completed a mission more than once. If you're a perfectionist, you can easily have dozens of aborted timelines reminding you of every time you decided you could do better, but also still allowing you to continue from there if you want to see what that mission would've been like if you'd accepted the loss of your best mechanic or whatever.

That is pretty fuckin' cool. I'll have to pick that up.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Man, you want unique time travelling RPGs? Achron, full-stop. Let me preface this by saying that, as an normal RTS, it's not very good. Units are muddy and hard to tell apart, the strategy aspects are pretty slim, and it's not pretty. However, the game is the only one I've ever played to implement time travel as part of the game mechanics, and not just in the story.

See, at any point in the battle, you can rewind time. Maybe you lost a building because you had sent some defensive units elsewhere, and didn't want to lose said building. So you rewind time back to when you knew that enemy forces were on the way to destroy it, move your units back into position, and wipe out said enemy forces. Great! A ripple of time energy expands through the timeline, reversing the destruction of your building, allowing you to return to the present with a still-present building.

But. What about the Grandfather paradox? What if you built a building on the remains of the destroyed building, built a unit, then sent it back in time to prevent the destruction of the building, upon which you built the new building? That means the new saviour unit can't be built to go back in time to save things. So time gets hosed. With each time wave sent out, multiple realities start taking control, shifting between a time when the new building was there, and when the old one was. Your unit starts shifting in and out of existence. I don't even remember when eventually happens, but gently caress. That game was a mindfuck to play against even basic computer opponents.

Of course, there are limitations - you can only go backwards and forwards in time in a certain range, and the further you go the more energy you require, which replenishes over time. But it ends up being a game of who can use the timestream most effectively to undo previous actions while also viewing the actions of the future to see what a wise action would be. Of course, if your enemy notices you viewing the future (your viewing position is visible to them), they can then change their actions.

It's a shame the base RTS mechanics and style weren't very good.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Original War is going for literally one buck on Steam until Monday and Achron is going for around :20bux: but it includes an extra copy.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
The time mechanics of Achron are brain-breaking. It's really quite amazing that they managed to have time travel actually run on understandable logic.

Overweight Shark
Mar 18, 2009

HardDisk posted:

Original War is going for literally one buck on Steam until Monday and Achron is going for around :20bux: but it includes an extra copy.

Thanks for the heads up.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I got GRID on a Steam sale last week, and I really love it.

The enemy AI is just so much more enjoyable than a lot of other racers. They make mistakes, they don't rubber-band, and they're hard to beat. It's a game that rewards you with a ton of cash and points for being great at it, but doesn't really punish you for sucking. You can get a decent amount of money for just finishing races, which is enough to buy new cars after a little while. It's like, right between a racing sim and an arcade racer; so you need to use some fundamentals to excel, but it feels a lot tighter and faster than a strict sim.

Plus it has the chillest menu theme.

Captain Lavender has a new favorite as of 06:58 on Sep 13, 2014

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield

Captain Lavender posted:

I got GRID on a Steam sale last week, and I really love it.

The enemy AI is just so much more enjoyable than a lot of other racers. They make mistakes, they don't rubber-band, and they're hard to beat. It's a game that rewards you with a ton of cash and points for being great at it, but doesn't really punish you for sucking. You can get a decent amount of money for just finishing races, which is enough buy new cars after a little while. It's like, right between a racing sim and an arcade racer; so you need to use some fundamentals to excel, but it feels a lot tighter and faster than a strict sim.

Plus it has the chillest menu theme.

You're right. But on the other hand...Ravenwest. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Pretty much every minute of Far Cry 3 has a neat little thing, however two things stand out to me. The first is the ability to sneak up on a camp full of poachers, break a cage they're transporting a tiger in by shooting it with a silenced weapon, and clearing out the entire camp without anyone knowing you're there.

One very specific thing in particular though, happened when I was driving down a jungle path that went over a blind rise... and immediately dropped my car off a cliff onto some rocks below. The neat part was that there were other crashed cars already there with luggage scattered about, meaning that someone had crafted that part of the map in the knowledge that you'd probably drive off it and crash, and then included the people who did so before you as the punchline.