Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
It's totally cool to win an election from a pool of 10% of the electorate and also thinking it's fine for policy to only reflect the even smaller percent subset of that group that voted for you is :krad: too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Gerrymandering is a lot like lobbying and consumerism, in that it is a word that has been plushed and sparkled and covered in pillow mints so as to mask the truth of the term from the mind of the general public.

on the left
Nov 2, 2013
I Am A Gigantic Piece Of Shit

Literally poo from a diseased human butt
Interesting graphic from the Washington Post:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/monkey-cage/wp/2014/08/15/how-ferguson-exposes-the-racial-bias-in-local-elections/

Black people turn out in equal amounts for national elections, but generally stay home for local elections. White people too.

Also, it's interesting that the odd-numbered years election was a tool to remove local elections from national partisan politics. I wonder if democrats will push to include party on the ballot in addition to changing the elections to coincide with larger elections.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
National turnout is still pretty bad too.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Honestly everything (local, presidential, senate) should just be on a four year cycle and we have a national holiday on that one election day instead of this nonsense we have now.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Remember kids, it's really important to vote in local elections at 8 am on the first Thursday after the third waxing moon or else the local government is completely justified in battering you with useless warrants!

on the left
Nov 2, 2013
I Am A Gigantic Piece Of Shit

Literally poo from a diseased human butt

Popular Thug Drink posted:

Remember kids, it's really important to vote in local elections at 8 am on the first Thursday after the third waxing moon or else the local government is completely justified in battering you with useless warrants!

Vote libertarian so we can finally have a utopia where people are not unfairly hassled about jackbooted statist rules like "you must have a valid license, plates, and insurance to operate a vehicle on public motorways".

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I mean of course it's not like the system isn't Working As Intended.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/fran-millar-georgia-educated-voters-more-voters

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

on the left posted:

Vote libertarian so we can finally have a utopia where people are not unfairly hassled about jackbooted statist rules like "you must have a valid license, plates, and insurance to operate a vehicle on public motorways".

Pretty sure at this point libertopia would be better for racial relations than the small town status quo.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Look I guess a teenager was shot to death, but that's in the past. What we can do now is focus on criminals driving around with past-due emissions tests.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Broken Taillight Cover Theory

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Broken Taillight Cover Theory

Stop-and-mirror-adjust policies.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Driving while headlights Blacked out

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Pretty sure at this point libertopia would be better for racial relations than the small town status quo.

Not really. The same (rich, white) people would have even more power then they do now, and without any of the protections or progress we've made since the 1860's. Sundown towns, enforced segregation and other such horseshit would make a raging comeback in some areas of the country.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

ayn rand hand job posted:

It won't mean a thing for the Ferguson city council though.

It will because if people show up and vote, the Ferguson city council will know they're next. They've already passed a bunch of substantial city policies in advance of the city council meeting, they know that if people organize then poo poo will change big time. Their necks may not be on the chopping block this election but they know if the turnout is there, then their necks will be up next.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

bassguitarhero posted:

It will because if people show up and vote, the Ferguson city council will know they're next. They've already passed a bunch of substantial city policies in advance of the city council meeting, they know that if people organize then poo poo will change big time. Their necks may not be on the chopping block this election but they know if the turnout is there, then their necks will be up next.

April is a long time away.

Also I'm pretty sure they stagger the council terms, so only two or three spots are open.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

ayn rand hand job posted:

April is a long time away.

Also I'm pretty sure they stagger the council terms, so only two or three spots are open.

Change starts somewhere, and the voting situation isn't going to change until people start voting. That's what this november is about. When they see how much power they wield at the polls when folks are unified, April won't get here fast enough.

The city council knows this and they knew it years ago when they staggered the voting to try to reduce turnout. That's just the gateway, but people know about it now.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Yes there are advantages. It enables robbing treasuries, pulling immense favor circles and it consolidates power to people like feudal lords.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Would a unified government be better for Ferguson though? It sounds like instead of having direct say over their region they'd instead be a smaller part of a much larger overall picture

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

bassguitarhero posted:

Would a unified government be better for Ferguson though? It sounds like instead of having direct say over their region they'd instead be a smaller part of a much larger overall picture

Many Ferguson residents probably work and spend a lot of time outside Ferguson, but still within county.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Been away from the thread for a while. Did I miss anything?

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

7thBatallion posted:

Not really. Ferguson continues to be extremely hosed up, racist, clueless. Still no charges against Wilson.

They had a town council meeting which was essentially angry folks teeing off at an entirely white and out-of-touch governing body and some posters decided to defend the White Man's Burden either in earnest or in trolling depending on if you care at all about meta-motivations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Has this been posted?

new witnesses say Brown had hands up.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

zen death robot posted:

You don't live in St. Louis do you?

That is the thing that messes with me about the whole situation. I live out Metro-East, and drive into the City through unincorporated Illinois, and East St. Louis, and enjoy the hell out of the awesome public spaces in the city, eat good food, then head back home. Never go through the I-70 20 speed traps in 20 miles span except to go to the airport. I never deal with the shitshow up in North County, or the white flight pearl-clutchers out West, and never get asked what highschool I went to. I feel like I've been getting, and giving a false impression of the area, because, the way I do it, I really like the place.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Now we just have to wait and see what kind of elaborate conspiracy theories Wilson supporters come up with to refute this.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

Now we just have to wait and see what kind of elaborate conspiracy theories Wilson supporters come up with to refute this.

Dunno, I mentioned the "jeff co." witness angle to my favorite source of "I saw the CT scan and that 'kid' nearly smashed officer wilson's eye out" style recieved right-wing assholry, and all of a sudden it was "well, I've never been a big fan of cops"

Slo-Tek fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Sep 11, 2014

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I didn't know one of the cops from the Henry Davis case was on the council. That's loving nuts. Watching this town hall meeting is pretty awesome, especially with the former mayor being like "There's normally only 10 people at these things. Oh god why won't you black folk just leave us in peace?"

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

7thBatallion posted:

You missed last night's city council meeting with a town council of uncomfortable white people in the same room as a bunch of people just tearing into them. The mayor himself was an especially wonderful shithead publicly stating he has taken no position on the position of cop-sanctioned murder and trying to distance himself from it.

Seriously, read the last couple of pages for us laughing at the constant :iceburn: the residents of Ferguson put on the council.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

I didn't see it mentioned yet, but more protesters were arrested today. http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/...c4d5a2c6bd.html

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Does anyone have a handy chart or statistics on how long it takes on average to charge an officer in a crime? This is getting to be ridiculous and I don't think we should let the Feds off the hook either. Even if Wilson is ultimately found not guilty, he should be charged immediately and face due process. There's enough evidence to charge, even if they want to argue they won't get a conviction.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

I didn't see it mentioned yet, but more protesters were arrested today. http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/...c4d5a2c6bd.html

Yeah, our local news, KOMO 4 Seattle, just broke into a story to report on the unrest. They made sure to say the arrests were just blocks away from where "an unarmed teenager was shot and killed by the police"

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Korak posted:

Does anyone have a handy chart or statistics on how long it takes on average to charge an officer in a crime? This is getting to be ridiculous and I don't think we should let the Feds off the hook either. Even if Wilson is ultimately found not guilty, he should be charged immediately and face due process. There's enough evidence to charge, even if they want to argue they won't get a conviction.

They convened a grand jury weeks ago.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

For some reason the text is all replaced by gray bars, like the NSA censored the article.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

For some reason the text is all replaced by gray bars, like the NSA censored the article.

I don't see them. Are there any vans parked in front of your house?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Vahakyla posted:

I don't see them. Are there any vans parked in front of your house?

Seriously:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

And if you highlight it, they're all dashes.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Check for vans. See if any sneaker-dad jeans-hoodie clad people follow you.
Now is the time for that tinfoil hat, too.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Same for me.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
Hey so i guess a white contractor dude saw brown get murdered? sorry if this has been posted before.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/09/10/us/ferguson-michael-brown-shooting-witnesses/index.html?hpt=hp_c2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Looks fine on my phone.

• Locked thread