Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

CronoGamer posted:

Also, if that doesn't work, if it's a large flat plastic "key" thing that you just drop into the slot, I used to just take a coat hanger and jam it into the slot in guest houses in Phnom Penh... as long as it fits in there it will probably do the trick.

This strategy might also come in handy if you knock up that pretty hooker on the corner

Some of the newer hotels are chipped with the key card so the trick won't work. For older pressure sensor slots, try using a stack of business card or some harder plastic card - that way room service won't remove your coat hanger.

That too, don't burn up AC in an empty room, it's not a morgue. But the trick is good for charging your laptops or whatever devices you have left in your room during the day

caberham fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Sep 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Yeah, or just don't leave the Goddamn AC on all day and save some electricity. Jesus!

The only time I do this trick is when it turns off the fridge and I've got something in there. Otherwise, it's lovely to leave an AC unit there burning up electricity just so you can feel supermarket fresh when you walk in the door.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The fridge gets turned off, too.

This is supposed to be a 4 star hotel. I couldn't even connect to the internet for a while and called the front desk. They appear to have fixed whatever the issue was and now I actually have non-dial up speeds.

As for the girl. Yeah, if she is in the same spot then my gut was right. And if not, I will never know. I lay awake for like an hour, exhausted, debating whether to go back and chat her up. She didn't look Thai. She didn't look like anything I'd ever seen to be honest. She actually looked more Caucasian than anything. But man...

Also, I was lolling on the flight at all the middle aged men and the lack of women. And hooray at spending 1500 baht to get my clothes laundered. I am not joking. I also didn't have any readily apparent solution so had to eat it. At least breakfast was only 200 baht and quite satisfying.

Now what?

E: and what am I supposed to do with toilet paper? There is no bidet so do I just toss it in the trash? Kinda gross. There is a really high powered hose spigot thingy next to the toilet. Pretty sure were I to use that as a bidet I'd be forcibly giving myself an enema, too.

Waltzing Along fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Sep 11, 2014

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

Go to Koh Tao. Laundry is 40 baht per kilo and 200 baht buys an epic breakfast.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Bums guns are rudimentary and can't compare to Japanese toilets right? But hey a hose is a hose!

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

caberham posted:

Bums guns are rudimentary and can't compare to Japanese toilets right? But hey a hose is a hose!

Ha! Gun is right. That thing is powerful enough to give me a brazilian let alone disperse a few poo flakes.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Finch! posted:

Go to Koh Tao. Laundry is 40 baht per kilo and 200 baht buys an epic breakfast.

Too late now. Also didn't want to go lugging my luggage around and sitting somewhere for a couple hours in the heat. Would have been a nice savings of 1400 baht. But whatever. I will have clean clothes later today. It's been so humid in Japan I've often worn two shirts in a day. I like being clean.

With that in mind, Bangkok is going to be a challenge. Glad to be here.

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005

Waltzing Along posted:

This is supposed to be a 4 star hotel. I couldn't even connect to the internet for a while and called the front desk. They appear to have fixed whatever the issue was and now I actually have non-dial up speeds.

As for the girl. Yeah, if she is in the same spot then my gut was right. And if not, I will never know. I lay awake for like an hour, exhausted, debating whether to go back and chat her up. She didn't look Thai. She didn't look like anything I'd ever seen to be honest. She actually looked more Caucasian than anything. But man...

Also, I was lolling on the flight at all the middle aged men and the lack of women. And hooray at spending 1500 baht to get my clothes laundered. I am not joking. I also didn't have any readily apparent solution so had to eat it. At least breakfast was only 200 baht and quite satisfying.

Now what?

E: and what am I supposed to do with toilet paper? There is no bidet so do I just toss it in the trash? Kinda gross. There is a really high powered hose spigot thingy next to the toilet. Pretty sure were I to use that as a bidet I'd be forcibly giving myself an enema, too.

uhh, if no one clued you in on this: you're in SE Asia. you kinda have to leave your 'comforts' at home because where you are is considered a Four Star Hotel compared to the rest. Power Outage/Internet Outages etc are common. that attitude of "I PAID GOOD MONEY FOR THIS, I SHOULD <service>" isn't going to get you anywhere.

also not touching that 'looks thai' can of worms

Barfolemew
Dec 5, 2011

Non Serviam
yesterday i was mainly sitting in the toilet. My stomach just went "nope, gently caress you" Feeling better today so i might make it downstairs withouth making GBS threads my pants.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

Barfolemew posted:

yesterday i was mainly sitting in the toilet. My stomach just went "nope, gently caress you" Feeling better today so i might make it downstairs withouth making GBS threads my pants.

This is what you get for wearing pants.

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

Barfolemew posted:

Hey, you're alive. How was Raw on Sunday? Where are you staying?

Barfolemew
Dec 5, 2011

Non Serviam

Finch! posted:

Hey, you're alive. How was Raw on Sunday? Where are you staying?

Raw was pretty awesome, the couple who runs it are really nice too. Im staying at Khun Ying house, will do a diving course later this week or early next week. Koh Tao divers most likely.

Need to check out Banyan bar too i hear its cool and have good food.

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

Barfolemew posted:

Raw was pretty awesome, the couple who runs it are really nice too. Im staying at Khun Ying house, will do a diving course later this week or early next week. Koh Tao divers most likely.

Need to check out Banyan bar too i hear its cool and have good food.

Sweet. Denny and Lisa are good people, it's a shame he blew his hand up with a firework because he's an extremely talented musician (and boxing coach).

Khun Ying House is basic but comfortable... I happily stay there for a month or so at a time. I don't know much about Koh Tao Divers, other than it's about a twenty minute walk from Khun Ying House, maybe more. Their website isn't entirely honest about it being a five minute walk from Sairee junction. Maya Beach Club to Sairee Junction is about fifteen minutes.

Definitely check out Banyan. The food is great and the beers are cold. Good people, good music. If you've got the shits, keep in mind trap two (the 'far' shitter) has the best bum gun on the island :v:

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working
SE Asia Megathread: There is a really high powered hose spigot thingy next to the toilet.

Waltzing Along posted:

She didn't look Thai. She didn't look like anything I'd ever seen to be honest. She actually looked more Caucasian than anything. But man...

Vietnamese.

Senso fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Sep 11, 2014

Barfolemew
Dec 5, 2011

Non Serviam

Finch! posted:

Definitely check out Banyan. The food is great and the beers are cold. Good people, good music. If you've got the shits, keep in mind trap two (the 'far' shitter) has the best bum gun on the island :v:

Cool i think ill check it out today. The reason i chose Koh Tao divers is that they are finnish and have a good reputation.

Im pissing off the cleaning lady, shes keeps sneaking to the entrance to look if im still here.

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

Barfolemew posted:

Cool i think ill check it out today. The reason i chose Koh Tao divers is that they are finnish and have a good reputation.

Im pissing off the cleaning lady, shes keeps sneaking to the entrance to look if im still here.

Yeah the Khun Ying people are fairly thorough. I usually just tell them to "only clean Monday and Thursday, not every day" and they sometimes even listen.

Do you know where Banyan is? Leave Khun Ying and turn left, walking along the main street. At the intersection, turn left again and when it's safe, cross the road so you're walking up hill on the right hand side of the road. Just after the bakery you'll see a little bamboo hut selling all kinds of weird fruit juices and healthy poo poo, and a sign that says "Come in, we're cunts!" Listen to the sign - if that offends you, you probably won't like the bar :)

There's a sign above the entrance saying "Banyan" and on the back it says "Abandon all hope ye who enter here" which is kind of appropriate. It's next to the Crossfit gym, across the road from an intersection.

Finch! fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Sep 11, 2014

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Waltzing Along posted:

Now what?

Use the hose thing on your rear end it's better. Lolling is not a word. There's cheap laundry by the kilo all over Bangkok too, if your front desk person won't tell you where ask a mototaxi driver or whatever (Google translate "laundry" or something, you can do it). Breakfast should be like 40B unless you're getting bacon and eggs and western stuff. There are a lot of mixed Thais.

Where is your hotel?

Finch! posted:

they sometimes even listen ... when it's safe, cross the road ... just after the bakery .... a sign that says "Come in, we're cunts!" .... "Abandon all hope ye who enter here" which is kind of appropriate. It's next to the Crossfit gym

raton fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Sep 11, 2014

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
By that photo I mean to say that ain't no SE Asia I ever heard of.

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

Sheep-Goats posted:

By that photo I mean to say that ain't no SE Asia I ever heard of.

I know. Sometimes I scare myself with how sensible I'm becoming in my old age :(

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Waltzing Along posted:

Now what?

Is this your first time travelling abroad?

Also you could easily buy a set of new clothes for less than half that price and also find a cheap launderette rather than use the hotel's. I have a feeling you don't really have that much of a right to "lol" at those middle-aged dudes.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
The last time I went there there was a middle aged guy wearing one of those black t-shirts with an elephant in a forest printed on it that said Thailand in an arc across the top with the tiki-tiki writing and this story would be better if he had muttered "one step closer to Pattaya" at the CHANGeover in Beijing but I'm sure he thought it okay.

Even if you're scared to use the asswasher you can laugh at those guys. Even if you are that guy you can laugh at those guys.

raton fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Sep 11, 2014

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

I was once in the Krisflyer Gold lounge in SIN and there was a guy walking around in boxers and a wife beater. I can't confirm he was going to/from Thailand, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
As a San Francisco native, Terminal 21 is a bizarre place.

Anarkii
Dec 30, 2008
Terminal 21 is a pretty regular mall? The food court there is pretty cool though

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005

Waltzing Along posted:

As a San Francisco native, Terminal 21 is a bizarre place.

uhhhh Terminal 21 is a themed mall, looks nowhere out of place with US malls aside from design; even has a good food court. For local food, the one on the top floor with the pay card (and they'll refund your money if there's any left over)

By the way, Siam is one (or 2) train stops over from T21, you may as well go there! Have fun!

Barfolemew
Dec 5, 2011

Non Serviam
There is this mall, i forget how many stops is it but check it out. Nana entertainment plaza. Heh.

Im off to meet some cunts, so send yer spies goons.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
booked my flights for later this month, the Bangkok leg is Malaysia Air codeshare operated by Ethiopian Airlines. Southeast asia not a place where people who are worried about personal safety go amirite

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I know it is a themed mall. The top floor is Hollywood, but the two floors below are based on San Francisco. That's all. Haigh/Ashbury street signs. Golden Gate Bridge. A sign on the floor that says Fishermans Wharf. Was fun.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Skandiaavity posted:

uhhhh Terminal 21 is a themed mall, looks nowhere out of place with US malls aside from design; even has a good food court. For local food, the one on the top floor with the pay card (and they'll refund your money if there's any left over)

By the way, Siam is one (or 2) train stops over from T21, you may as well go there! Have fun!

Pretty sure he means the San Francisco Golden Gate Bridge theme is weird. It is, but in a cool way

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Sigh. Found my girl. Doesn't look quite so good tonight. Also found out where she works. Eden club. Looked it up online and yeeeeah. Go on and laugh. :-(

I do freaking love this place though. Somehow Bangkok has exceeded expectations.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen
Go on. Embrace your destiny.

Chair Huxtable
Dec 27, 2004

Heavens me, just look at the time

Go to patpong. The super pussy is calling you.

Math Debater
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
This TESOL stuff that I've been doing in Thailand has been really exhausting and time-consuming, but the food has been super mondo to the max and I've really enjoyed trying lots of new treats during my time here. I'm definitely getting fatter and I haven't had any unpleasant bodily reactions to the food here.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

CronoGamer posted:

Go on. Embrace your destiny.

I wonder if she stands to the left of the line. :wom:

Anarkii
Dec 30, 2008
If you're around Terminal 21, I like the bar in Westin next to it. Pretty classy and make killer martinis.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Gonna be in Bangkok for a day on the 15th. What can I do in 12 extremely jet lagged hours?

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Waltzing Along posted:

Sigh. Found my girl. Doesn't look quite so good tonight. Also found out where she works. Eden club. Looked it up online and yeeeeah. Go on and laugh. :-(

I do freaking love this place though. Somehow Bangkok has exceeded expectations.

Hahaha I'm so glad I managed to spend almost two months in SE asia without loving any hookers. You ain't gunna live that one down

Edit: imho Bangkok is poo poo for anything but partying check out some of the nature stuff elsewhere in Thailand it's incredibly rad

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Squalid posted:

Gonna be in Bangkok for a day on the 15th. What can I do in 12 extremely jet lagged hours?

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

YEAaah... I was thinking maybe just a massage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen
You say that like they're mutually exclusive, and not a conveniently packaged deal