Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cainer
May 8, 2008
Earlier today I decided to make a new dude to try to get some jolly coop done, no bites at all on the last giant. So I said gently caress it and went to dragonrider, I always get some summons there, still nothing. So I go human and look around for signs and see nothing. Logout and jump onto another character, port to the Iron keep bridge. Only one red sign. Well poo poo, I think I got the softban hammer.

Edit: Tried the family share thing and that seems to have fixed it, I can see signs all over the place now. Sucks about my other characters but oh well, they were mostly just gimmick playthroughs anyway.

Cainer fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Sep 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
The what

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
From allegedly does occasional ban waves where they flag peoples' Steam accounts as being cheaters. Players flagged as cheaters can only have multiplayer interactions with other players who are flagged as cheaters.

El Golden Goose
Jul 23, 2007

Mr Dog posted:

From allegedly does occasional ban waves where they flag peoples' Steam accounts as being cheaters. Players flagged as cheaters can only have multiplayer interactions with other players who are flagged as cheaters.

Is there any hard proof of this? Not trying to be snarky I'm genuinely curious if there's a statement they made about this or some testing that's been done.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

El Golden Goose posted:

Is there any hard proof of this?

No.

Orv
May 4, 2011
It's probably just Steam being Steam for no discernible reason.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

I mentioned a while back that I might have to respec my pure mage back into a muscleman in order to power through the DLC and while I haven't done it yet, I realized that at the time my weapons of choice were a +10 claymore, a +10 mace, and a +10 great club. Is there anything in the DLC I should watch out for that'd unseat any of those in terms of strength/utility?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Yorgh's Spear is a great weapon and the Smelter Hammer's fun. If you want a really good strength weapon, go pick up the Red Iron Twinblade from the Shrine of Amana.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Manatee Cannon posted:

Yorgh's Spear is a great weapon and the Smelter Hammer's fun. If you want a really good strength weapon, go pick up the Red Iron Twinblade from the Shrine of Amana.

Yeah, I'm kicking myself over the fact I think I missed it on NG, and since this is NG+ I'd have to crank all the way through a couple of lord souls and Drangleic Castle before getting another chance at it.

Cainer
May 8, 2008

Cowcaster posted:

I mentioned a while back that I might have to respec my pure mage back into a muscleman in order to power through the DLC and while I haven't done it yet, I realized that at the time my weapons of choice were a +10 claymore, a +10 mace, and a +10 great club. Is there anything in the DLC I should watch out for that'd unseat any of those in terms of strength/utility?

The Fume greatsword is pretty sweet, apparently. I keep seeing people use it anyway.

El Golden Goose posted:

Is there any hard proof of this?

All I can tell ya is that I had barely any signs at all and zero summons on my main account but as soon as I got to my alternative family account I was back to a giant torrent of jolly coops. Checked again and my main account still has almost no signs, even on the Iron Keep bridge.

Read this http://www.reddit.com/r/DarkSouls2/comments/2g1qk4/softbanning_on_pc_all_the_information_i_collected/ has a decent amount of info.

Edit: vvvv Heh, all I did was reload saves when the jerks outside the executioner wouldn't drop my whip, even with reloads it took me two bloody hours. Think I'll just save myself the frustration and cheat engine it in next drat time.

Cainer fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Sep 11, 2014

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Meanwhile, I haven't been touched, and I've done stuff like temporarily modify my maximum HP in order to find out how fall damage works.

The whole system makes no sense whatsoever, because you can safely bet everything you own that From has no way to tell when you use assembly modifications.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Sep 11, 2014

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

Cowcaster posted:

The Majestic Greatsword, ie Artorias' sword, is the easiest new weapon to get in the 2nd DLC and is very, very good if you can adapt to using it in the left hand. It's got launch and smash moves like a greatclub or UGS, but with the speed and stamina usage characteristics of a greatsword. The damage is great and it's even got a lunging thrust heavy attack on the two-hand moveset.

Speaking of the Majestic Greatsword, I was surprised at how little trouble I had adapting to left-handing. Even so, it's beginning to wear on me, having my primary attack on the same hand that does movement. So I tried using Cheat Engine to see if it was possible to swap the moveset between different hands (using the updated table found on the pastebin from 4chan's /vg/), but it didn't even register a value for the addresses in the moveset table. Not for this or any other weapon, just a series of '??' all the way down the list. Almost everything else works, I have no idea what the hell could be causing it to not even find the addresses in my game.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

You can swap them. The game doesn't actually have specific left/right hand attack animations, they all work fine in either hand.

The only thing you're not allowed to do easily is use powerstance attacks without being powerstanced, because they rely on having two activated damage hitboxes to work properly.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Having your default attack be on the left should be no issue for you if you've powerstanced weapons before.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Cainer posted:

Edit: vvvv Heh, all I did was reload saves when the jerks outside the executioner wouldn't drop my whip, even with reloads it took me two bloody hours. Think I'll just save myself the frustration and cheat engine it in next drat time.

You know what I'd be willing to bet? I bet that they can't tell the difference between you loading an earlier save and editing your Soul Memory with Cheat Engine.

All they see is that the same character suddenly has a lower SM again, which is enough to piss them off.

Cainer
May 8, 2008

Tallgeese posted:

You know what I'd be willing to bet? I bet that they can't tell the difference between you loading an earlier save and editing your Soul Memory with Cheat Engine.

All they see is that the same character suddenly has a lower SM again, which is enough to piss them off.

A decent explanation as any. Well on to re-leveling dudes and dudettes.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I've seen several people that I would "trust" (at least as far as DS stuff goes) have the same soft-banning issue on 360 as well. All used save editors in some fashion, mostly to either recreate characters after saves were corrupted, or to give themselves 99x red/blue orbs. Pretty weird thing, I just wish it was more consistent and transparent.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
I reuse saves and also use a test character with 99 everything and 0 sm all the time and nothing has happened to me. :shrug:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

This always seemed like a placebo effect kind of thing, I really doubt it's true.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Huh. I do believe my hosts are employing strategy with me in the Iron Passage. I get sent down the first lever gate, jump in, and then they piss off the other way without even trying to make it. From that point they have 2 rooms where they don't have to deal with rear end in a top hat mages/snipers because I'm up there ganking them. Not used to seeing that kind of behavior from my hosts.

El Golden Goose
Jul 23, 2007
The softbanning is weird, because I'll admit to having cheat engined some stuff in to some of my high-level characters because I've played over 200 hours now and I'll be damned if I'm gonna farm more than 10 times for an item I want at this point. There have been some times where I've been logged on during peak hours and wasn't getting any hits for summons or invasions but the issues always seem to resolve themselves and my connectivity always eventually returns to normal. If they are softbanning I wish they'd make it clear that it's a thing that can happen. Then again, it's cheating, it's FROM software, what do I expect honestly?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Seriously, everyone has times when they can't find any other players. I have and I've never cheated. There's no proof that there's any kind of soft ban, FROM has said nothing, so why do people think it's there? Sometimes it's just hard to find other players, it happens.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

El Golden Goose posted:

Then again, it's cheating, it's FROM software, what do I expect honestly?

1) Ineffective softbans, if extant (I'm willing to believe it due to who I've spoken to, but who knows).

2) Leaving a grand total of four (4) exploits to crash other people in the game, one of which is very well known and very easy to fix. I can only patch out two of these in total. The other one I can fix is a crash that occurs just from someone looking at a summon sign.

3) See 1 and 2, yet they took the time to erase the wearable model of the Barrel between patches. No I will not let it go.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Sep 11, 2014

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Bring back barrel, make it the only thing cheaters can wear.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

Bring back barrel, make it the only thing cheaters can wear.

Knowing From, they would screw this up and forget that bare head, hands, and legs are technically worn items. So we'd have identical looking floating barrels.

Barrels of love, mind. Because it had a heart on it.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

What's a good right hand for a Majestic Greatsword power stance? I'm not too thrilled with the poison Manslayer I'm currently using with it.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Fat and Useless posted:

What's a good right hand for a Majestic Greatsword power stance? I'm not too thrilled with the poison Manslayer I'm currently using with it.

I like to use straight swords, such as the Drakekeeper's Sword.

Manatee Cannon posted:

Seriously, everyone has times when they can't find any other players. I have and I've never cheated. There's no proof that there's any kind of soft ban, FROM has said nothing, so why do people think it's there? Sometimes it's just hard to find other players, it happens.

People have done testing which suggests that it may exist, such as people who have been soft-banned being able to connect with each other but not someone who hasn't been. I think I may have been hit with it since on all my characters, I can only connect with a small handful of people, even in hotspots like the bridge.

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug

Tallgeese posted:

1) Ineffective softbans, if extant (I'm willing to believe it due to who I've spoken to, but who knows).
Wouldn't it be fairly easy for people to test for the existence of a soft ban? You'd just need someone who believes they've been soft banned, and someone who is confident they haven't been. If they can coop with the name-engraved ring, then that would be pretty good evidence against the soft ban, and evidence for it if they can't. Do you know if anyone has tried to test this? I realize one trial wouldn't be conclusive, but a few consistent results would be a pretty strong indicator.

Edit: And it looks like my question was answered while I was posting. Welp

END CHEMTRAILS NOW fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Sep 11, 2014

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

NotInventedHere posted:

Wouldn't it be fairly easy for people to test for the existence of a soft ban? You'd just need someone who believes they've been soft banned, and someone who is confident they haven't been. If they can coop with the name-engraved ring, then that would be pretty good evidence against the soft ban, and evidence for it if they can't. Do you know if anyone has tried to test this? I realize one trial wouldn't be conclusive, but a few consistent results would be a pretty strong indicator.

See my link above.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
watching some vids and having some fights in drangleic castle i have come to appreciate how broken stairs are. you may be at the top of them and i may be at the bottom but i can still hit you *video games&*

Grayshift
May 31, 2013
I was softbanned - I'd put my sign down on the bridge and get a hit every half hour or worse. It was always the same tiny group of people, fight after fight.

Then I did the family sharing sidestep and hey, the bridge is utterly crawling with signs and I get summoned in thirty seconds.

It's real, and it's really stupid.

Cainer
May 8, 2008

Grayshift posted:

I was softbanned - I'd put my sign down on the bridge and get a hit every half hour or worse. It was always the same tiny group of people, fight after fight.

Then I did the family sharing sidestep and hey, the bridge is utterly crawling with signs and I get summoned in thirty seconds.

It's real, and it's really stupid.

High five softban buddy. :hfive:

Sent Bandaisupport an email with heavily implied fellatioing if they let my account escape the hackerzone but I'm not holding out much hope.

El Golden Goose
Jul 23, 2007

Tallgeese posted:

2) Leaving a grand total of four (4) exploits to crash other people in the game, one of which is very well known and very easy to fix. I can only patch out two of these in total. The other one I can fix is a crash that occurs just from someone looking at a summon sign.

Maybe I'm not very astute and I'm out of the loop, but what are these crash exploits, and how can one avoid them if at all possible?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Hooray, my sorcerer managed to finish off Elana and Sinh all by his lovely self. Mostly through 50 dark orbs and attrition. It's depressing how a crystal soul spear would do less damage to either of them than two dark orbs.

Oh well, time to Dark Orb my way through the iron keep to the new DLC I guess.

edit: Oh, I forgot to kill the gang boss in the other area. Am I missing out on anything good if I skip that?

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Your new avatar didn't last very long. :newlol:

Cowcaster posted:

edit: Oh, I forgot to kill the gang boss in the other area. Am I missing out on anything good if I skip that?

Flower skirt, which matches nothing else in the game.

The clear bluestone nerf (and various other sorcery nerfs) depressed me so much I haven't even touched magic since the last patch.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

turtlecrunch posted:

Flower skirt, which matches nothing else in the game.

gently caress

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Cowcaster posted:

Hooray, my sorcerer managed to finish off Elana and Sinh all by his lovely self. Mostly through 50 dark orbs and attrition. It's depressing how a crystal soul spear would do less damage to either of them than two dark orbs.

Oh well, time to Dark Orb my way through the iron keep to the new DLC I guess.

Bunch of souls and the Lightning Clutch ring.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I personally think the Majestic Greatsword is a great weapon, but I will never use it because it looks ugly as hell. The constant pull of inexorable ages has not done Artorias' blade any favors. Fashion Souls or Die.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Another thing I'd like to lament is that the monastery scimitar re-nerf has hit my guy hard as well too, since now I can't just lazily parry everything to death in the DLC since they all have loving magic resistance through the roof. I understand that it's unbalanced in PvP and whatever, I just liked having a parry that worked like the parry in Dark Souls 1, which I don't remember anyone complaining about at the time.

Which makes them also loving with the dagger's riposte damage adding insult to injury when I pull it off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

gently caress

Dark Greatsword, the hex version of Soul Greatsword, is back there as well.