Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beluga Snail
Jul 26, 2013

aniviron posted:

Hi, I'm aniviron of the same name from the MWO forums! I used to be a lot more prolific there. PoptartsNinja was kind enough to offer me an account here so I would have a better place to discuss robots of all shapes and stompinesses.

I look forward to watching the latest PR disaster from a safe distance with you all.

Welcome to the party, and congratulations on now, through a simple forum membership and :10bux: provided by PN, being forevermore the Root Cause of All Evil in the world.

Also, that comic strip is gold. Not to mention the CW Phase 2 post. It really does look like they woke up, saw what kind of hell on earth their forums and Reddit were turning in to for anything positively related to them, and then frantically scribbled those notes on a napkin to throw out there and hope people would be distracted by the "high level" :airquote: design going in to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
The most beautiful thing is seeing how PGI is slowly realizing just how completely they hosed things up. You can just imagine them plan out that transverse kickstarter and decide the milestones they think are reasonable...and then not only fail to achieve them but miss them by miles. Less than 100 backers, given the media presence on major gaming sites? That is a giant slap in the face from the community.

Anyway, I am proud to have done my part in the goon campaign to bring down PGI. :patriot:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

It was worth waiting a year or two in order to make MWO post #9.
And it was a post worth waiting for :golfclap:

Grraarrgghh
Feb 12, 2012

"Bernard, float over here so I can punch you."

PGI revamped their reveal trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvIfi49P4-s

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

You suck at youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvIfi49P4-s

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Arquinsiel posted:

'sup. Welcome to the fold. Be sure to check out the thread he mentioned and get your name on the waiting list. It's an amazing read.

Yeah, you weren't kidding! It's a lot to take in.

Oh, and you may/may not recognize me as abraxo_cleaner on r/mwo.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Arquinsiel posted:

And it was a post worth waiting for :golfclap:

D'aww, thank you goon sir.

I just... gah. PGI could be a case study in business classes on how not to communicate with your players.

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

aniviron posted:

You have such a wonderful journey ahead of you. :allears:

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Are there rules against ban evasion on reddit? New PGI accounts cropping up already.

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Sep 11, 2014

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
I've decided to bookmark this thread again so I can be up to date on this hilarious debacle.
I also love how the "high-level" plans are extremely rudimentary stuff that could have been revealed during alpha.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
My favorite thing is how the frontier, the Fringe, is in the middle of human controlled space.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Ranzear posted:

Are there rules against ban evasion on reddit? New PGI accounts cropping up already.

Its reddit, so long as they post pictures of little kids in swimwear I think they'd be fine.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Nevermind, I hear Jon is an okay guy.

That CW outline is something I could cook up in an hour. A lot of the numbers are pure bullshit rushjob too, and none of it is supported by assets they already have.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

aniviron posted:

Welcome to the new world. Also as others have said your basically internet hitler.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Ranzear posted:

That CW outline is something I could cook up in an hour. A lot of the numbers are pure bullshit rushjob too, and none of it is supported by assets they already have.

They are literally dangling keys in front of us like we're infants, hoping we'll be distracted by the noise and shininess. It's worked for them before.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

*Dangle dangle, jingle jingle*

I do that poo poo for fun. Anyone wanna throw a couple million dollars at that?

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN
Apr 27, 2010

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

:eyepop:

The toilet flush SE during the PGI logo was a nice touch

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

Ranzear posted:

Purple Team, all day.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

OB_Juan posted:

Purple Team, all day.

The expansion teams have some snowball mechanics that might not work in the original basis, and that's why they're set aside.

But yeah, they're totally the Junkions.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Ranzear posted:

The expansion teams have some snowball mechanics that might not work in the original basis, and that's why they're set aside.

But yeah, they're totally the Junkions.

But can I be a Purple Founder?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Ranzear posted:

I have literally dreamed entire tabletop game systems and then written them down when I woke up. One of them even ended up being playable.... and balanced!

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

OB_Juan posted:

But can I be a Purple Founder?

Let me get my HTML5 Tanarus re-imagining out of the way over the next few months (relevance: Slots and tonnage system, with all the interesting features and balance you might ask of MWO.) and we'll see if I don't fire up UE4 again.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Ranzear posted:

Let me get my HTML5 Tanarus re-imagining out of the way over the next few months (relevance: Slots and tonnage system, with all the interesting features and balance you might ask of MWO.) and we'll see if I don't fire up UE4 again.

Okay, talk to you in three months.

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

Ranzear posted:

Will there be Force Wars?

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Erata posted:

Will there be Force Wars?

You're goddamn right.

Here, have a parts list to speculate on.

Turret/Body/Tracks are actually mix 'n match too. Slot space is reaaaally tentative, but tonnages are about right. I'm not sure how my blocky tanks are gonna interact in Physi.js, they might not 'slide' like I want them to, so everything might become hover-tanks and the 'tracks' are more like repulsor fields, which actually sounds cooler anyway.

Account creation is up if you want some lulz (framework mostly just so I know how I'm storing stuff and validating accounts), but will probably get wiped. Please don't break my server.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The really important question is will the Junkions speak TV?

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

Ranzear posted:

You're goddamn right.

Ahaha. I'll keep an ear out. That parts list is completely foreign to me though.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Looks like Paul is responding to questions in the CW feedback thread.

http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/170755-community-warfare-phase-2-feedback/page__st__140

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Arquinsiel posted:

The really important question is will the Junkions speak TV?

You didn't notice the other referential quote bullshit in the doc? ;D

So it's got Junkions, Spess Mahrens, Anor Londians IN SPAAAAACE, the ED-209 brigade, Wormulons, and some thri-kreen that got too freaky in a radioactive lightning storm. Did I leave anything out?

wid
Sep 7, 2005
Living in paradise (only bombed once)

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Well that can't be quite true, because the new game is Transverse, not Wing Commander: Online. Or perhaps they felt that it would make the Star Citizen comparisons too blatant. Maybe they're telling the truth in that they got the WC IP before Roberts showed up with STar Citizen and torpedoed any hopes of making money off the concept of "Wing Commander Online".

It had always been their business plan: use a nostalgic IP to make people pledge money for empty promises. But then MWO fell below their expectation so they either:
1. Blame the community for not being large enough and/or rich enough to reach expectation
2. Blame the brand for being too inclusive thus (in their mind) alienating potential fresh customers
3. A little bit or all of the above
Blaming themselves for being incompetent and shittily bad at managing their own community will never be considered as a reason for failure*.

So my guess is they got cold feet about Wing Commander Online but they already spend the money for the license so they hastily slapped together a bunch of crap together in the last minute. It also explains the really unfortunate choice of a name.

*The irony is that they don't even have to be super competent at making games. Take Digital Extremes, maker of Warframne, for example. They're very bad at coding the game itself, each patch would break more stuff before hotfixed hastily and balance is out of whack, while the art department is top notch. Sounds familiar? So why is Warframe sitting on 10 million users while MWO struggling to make ends meet? The different is... *gasp* communication. DE is very open with their community, for good and for ill, and never snarky or showed disdain to dissenters. They patch and shuffle things around often and appear to genuinely enjoy making this game and having us play it. While PGI continues to deal with their own customers as if pulling teeth and ignore (or even stamp out) criticism. They continue to treat their customers like spoiled demanding children (which, honestly, right on the nose) but they should've known this is the side effect of a nostalgic, already established IP. Maybe it's also the reason they made the space game their own IP.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
Haha, holy poo poo, this thread is still chugging along? Wasn't it sent to neo-GBS to die a while back? Disturbing to know neither that or PGI's complete ineptitude aren't able to kill it. It's cool that some light enthusiastic trolling years ago has rendered goons some kind of boogeyman for the PGI community manager though. What happened to that pathetic Liao nerd that they had as a community moderate way back when? Did they go back on the whole 'phantom heat' thing? Was their gold robot swindle really so lucrative that they had the stones to start announce a new game before there long running work in progress was finished? So much utterly horrible nostalgia :allears:.

Orv
May 4, 2011

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Haha, holy poo poo, this thread is still chugging along? Wasn't it sent to neo-GBS to die a while back? Disturbing to know neither that or PGI's complete ineptitude aren't able to kill it. It's cool that some light enthusiastic trolling years ago has rendered goons some kind of boogeyman for the PGI community manager though. What happened to that pathetic Liao nerd that they had as a community moderate way back when? Did they go back on the whole 'phantom heat' thing? Was their gold robot swindle really so lucrative that they had the stones to start announce a new game before there long running work in progress was finished? So much utterly horrible nostalgia :allears:.

Someone revived it, defended MWO for a while, then all this wonderful stuff happened.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Orv posted:

Someone revived it, defended MWO for a while, then all this wonderful stuff happened.

And it was worth someone bringing this thread back just for all the fun now.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Erata posted:

Ahaha. I'll keep an ear out. That parts list is completely foreign to me though.

One ammo entry for the 'Launcher':
mslf: cls: amo name: Impulse Missile hp: 8 wep: lnch ct: 8 slots: 1 tons: 0.5 type: mpls

I had already planned for all tanks to have a jump capability (it might be really short on the heavy ones), which should go really nicely with hover tanks that also skid around a lot.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
I'm so glad this thread came back; yeah it got me to play MWO for a couple of days and waste a few hours, but holy poo poo the last 24 hours have been amazing. Niko was the reason I asked for a refund of my pheonix pack (that god drat RP code of conduct was the final straw).

I knew PGI wasn't going to make a game I wanted to give them money for by late 2013, and I've thought Paul was a bit of a jackass for even longer than that, but the continued employment of Niko was just mindblowing.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

OB_Juan posted:

Looks like Paul is responding to questions in the CW feedback thread.

http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/170755-community-warfare-phase-2-feedback/page__st__140

This sounds stupidly convoluted, not even like fun convoluted either. Also someone is complaining about mixed combat for planet defense, which would be understandable if PGI hadn't already thrown out their tech release timeline so early into release.

Xanax Madaway
Sep 9, 2014

I guess focused is good
That's a nice post imo:
http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/170725-regarding-reddit/page__view__findpost__p__3709733

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

Neo Helbeast posted:

This sounds stupidly convoluted, not even like fun convoluted either. Also someone is complaining about mixed combat for planet defense, which would be understandable if PGI hadn't already thrown out their tech release timeline so early into release.

Wait, you mean the guy who came up with ghost heat came up with another complicated and unfun gameplay addition? I'm shocked beyond words.

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

Ranzear posted:

One ammo entry for the 'Launcher':
mslf: cls: amo name: Impulse Missile hp: 8 wep: lnch ct: 8 slots: 1 tons: 0.5 type: mpls

I had already planned for all tanks to have a jump capability (it might be really short on the heavy ones), which should go really nicely with hover tanks that also skid around a lot.

There really was nothing like running around an arena full of stunt ramps trying to hit people with Push_Hard missiles to make them go flying and die from fall damage. That was some ridiculous fun that I'd enjoyed as a baby on an AOL connection.
Anyway, CW's planning looks to be bizarre and it's difficult to bring myself to read Paul's posts in their entirety.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Following along the thread, it appears that Paul's intent is to launch CW as Clan vs IS only, with a future goal of working in IS and Clan internal fights. I'm not sure that will be a popular plan.

:pgi:Paul posted:

Incomplete Drop Decks will not be allowed, however when Phase 2 goes live, Clans should have a full stable of trial 'Mechs available.

This is something else we've been talking about and a reward structure will be defined in a future post. Currently the plan is to just focus on the fight between IS and Clan and have the IS map change as the war rages on. Faction rewards, as I said, are still on the drawing board at this moment but it is something we're interested in doing.

OB_Juan fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Sep 11, 2014

• Locked thread