Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

Emmy Lou if it were a little more surreal:

(Sorry. But, seriously, I can see its little paws and everything. Pareidolia is a hell of a drug.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

John Carstairs posted:

(Sorry. But, seriously, I can see its little paws and everything. Pareidolia is a hell of a drug.)

I totally can too and it's adorable she should name it and keep it on there.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
Dustin

That's the spirit. Don't let them dangle that bullshit carrot. A year from now they'll just be all, oh sorry business is slow so we can't afford raises.

Uh, okay.

The mental image no one wanted.

gently caress Dustin for working temporary jobs.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

ZeeToo posted:

Inspector Danger's Crime Quiz

Hah, I actually managed to figure out the real answer. :smuggo:

Motorcycle with a sidecar.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
On the Fastrack

It's a good thing we're not a massive cyber security corporation or anything and have a wealth of resources to deal with this.

"This is just another ploy to act out your film noir fantasies on Second Life on company time isn't it..."

"Oh. For a second there I thought you were going to enact some horrible punishment on us again."

How did Dethany manage to do that with Fi not being aware of it? She's right next to her.

"...Residing at 127.0.0.1 . Now if you'll excuse me, aaah look behind you it's a keylogger!"

Well except Dethany did all the work, and I'm not sure why she brought along the accountant for an IT problem in the first place.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

John Carstairs posted:

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Sergio Aragones Looks at Farm Life (MAD #308, January 1992)

The Lighter Side of...

Tales from the Duck Side (MAD #312, July 1992)

Drama on Page 9
This was an occasional thing that John Caldwell did for MAD. The title varied depending on what page number it actually ran in.

Hey Look!

Mister Beeg fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Sep 11, 2014

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Fingerpori

- My brother sleeps well when he keeps the balcony door wide open
- I've got to try that

The expression for "wide open" here is selällään, literally "on its back"; "back" here meaning specifically the posterior of a body in the anatomical sense but also used figuratively when talking about non-living beings. I think the expression means that the "back" of the door is more or less up against the wall, so in a manner of speaking it's on its back.

"Back" is selkä, adessive case "on a back" is selällä. There's two ways of adding a 3rd person possessive suffix: "on his/her/its back" selällänsä and selällään, the latter of which was used here. The problem with the suffix is that depending on the sentence it can make it ambiguous as to who or what is the 3rd person is. Heimo thought the brother kept the door "on his back".

Fok_It

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Julet Esqu posted:

Radio Patrol

Both of those guys should be through the windshield. Seatbelts weren't mandatory until 1970, and they weren't even a standard feature until the 1950s.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Aardmania posted:

Judge Parker

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Julet Esqu posted:

The Amazing Spider-Man
[URL=http://imgur.com/H0ybNoN.gif]

Oh no! Cecil the Sea Serpent has turned to a life of crime!

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Midnight Moth posted:

Dustin

That's the spirit. Don't let them dangle that bullshit carrot. A year from now they'll just be all, oh sorry business is slow so we can't afford raises.

That lazy Dustin, unwilling to take a job that pays less than minimum wage. You'd think he has a college degree or something!

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?
Tiggum? :golfclap: Even though it's edited, it's a keeper anyway.

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Riding that thing were some of the best times she had.

I totally have this figured out. She's a counterfeiter, and the "art teacher" she has inside is the dude working on the plates. They've run into trouble with something, so now they're going to recruit Sarah and use her "talent" to fix the problems via "art lessons".

E^2: I rethought it. No, they're not counterfeiters, they're FORGING ARTWORK! Yeah, that's it.

Midnight Moth posted:

Well except Dethany did all the work, and I'm not sure why she brought along the accountant for an IT problem in the first place.

It happens sometimes, I think. In my own case, and from what some other consultant buddies tell me. The CFO of one of my biggest accounts feels he has to inject himself into every IT project or concern. I think it's either because he doesn't understand the expenditures we make, or he just doesn't trust consultants or something. I have to admit, it is pretty hilarious watching him become completely confused in meetings when geekspeak is happening. And then watching him make a complete idiot out of himself when he tries to "participate". We all keep our "business faces" on, though (even though we're laughing like children on the inside), because he does indeed sign our checks. :v:

Jane's World

Enmeshed? Ok, Paige, I guess. Just don't get too much Brooke on you, it spreads.

Non Sequitur

Ok, Wiley, if you're doing this on purpose, it's working. WHAT IS IT?!

Heavenly Nostrils

:)

Kliban's Cats

I like the look of distrust on the cat's face.

9 Chickweed Lane 9/11/2003

See Paige? This is your brain on Brooke. Just say no!

Zits

my_god_how_can_he_eat_so_much_and_not_get_fat.jpg

Kevin & Kell

Yeah, you little radical. STFU!

E: Wait. Who the gently caress is doing the gardening? Certainly not the carnivores. Other herbivores? God, this strip.

I'm not sure what the backstory on "Donald in the Post" is, but I laughed at Nemi claiming to be under 12. I could totally see that. :v:

BlankIsBeautiful fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Sep 11, 2014

Vastakaiun
Apr 16, 2008

Man, this one speaks to me.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Kevin & Kell

Yeah, you little radical. STFU!

E: Wait. Who the gently caress is doing the gardening? Certainly not the carnivores. Other herbivores? God, this strip.

This becomes even more confusing when you recall that Kevin and his mother are both accomplished gardeners.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

I'm not sure what the backstory on "Donald in the Post" is, but I laughed at Nemi claiming to be under 12. I could totally see that. :v:
It's a Scandinavian strip, I'm willing to bet cold hard cash that it's Donald Duck.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Aardmania posted:

Pibgorn

Today, I learned that dry-heaving sounds just like stertorous breathing.
It's finally loving over! This stupid thing started on July 29th, 2013. A year and a quarter of this poo poo.

The Dinette Set gets in Standard Sitcom Zinger #17.

Working Daze does something because everyone else is doing it.

Ed's shtick is that he sleeps at his desk all day.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Culdesac, poptropica, heathcliff in that order:

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Evil Mastermind posted:

Working Daze does something because everyone else is doing it.

Ed's shtick is that he sleeps at his desk all day.

Why does her shirt appear to be falling off and also see-through?

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Donald Duck is a weekly comic in most of Scandinavia, and over here in Norway, if you sign up for it and you're under 12 years of age, you can get birthday cards from Donald Duck in the mail on your birthdays.

Although, if you ask nicely, you can still get them even if you're 16 or 30.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Green Intern posted:

That's her design (I don't know her name and don't feel like checking right now). She wears a loose off-the-shoulders sweater with a tank top or something underneath.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

This one's kind of boring, so I spiced it up.

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord

Evil Mastermind posted:

It's finally loving over! This stupid thing started on July 29th, 2013. A year and a quarter of this poo poo.

Even though I never liked Pibgorn before this, I've been so baffled by Brooke's choice to bury his own strip inside itself. Isn't building and maintaining an audience an important part of doing a comic series?

Imagine that you've never heard of Pibgorn or Brooke before, and you've just checking out the strip once in a while. You might go back and see a year's worth of archives, and this 1930s romance thing is all you get. Based on what you'd see every week, how would you ever, ever guess what Pibgorn actually is or is supposed to be about?

I really hope there's one person out there who's looking at the last panel going "Huh? Juliet's not dead and in a leotard now? What? Huh? :saddowns: Is this the afterlife? "

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Green Intern posted:

Evil Mastermind posted:

That's her design (I don't know her name and don't feel like checking right now). She wears a loose off-the-shoulders sweater with a tank top or something underneath.

Off the shoulder sweater and tank top. Perfect for the business office.

BlankIsBeautiful fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Sep 11, 2014

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Midnight Moth posted:

On the Fastrack

The sniffer turned his life around and on several occasions used his capacity for quick learning to stop the evil Morty Maxwell's schemes.

It's important to Learn your Limits Comix

Pooch Café

Dude, just load up youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjSF3E8hcFw

Ballard Street

Aw, come on! Don't ruin his fun!

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Monty

Mike du Jour

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Ema Nymton posted:

Even though I never liked Pibgorn before this, I've been so baffled by Brooke's choice to bury his own strip inside itself. Isn't building and maintaining an audience an important part of doing a comic series?
Isn't Brooke on record as saying he didn't care about his fans, or that he didn't need their support or that they weren't part of his success? I remember something like that happening a few years back when he turned off all comments on his comics and blog.

One thing that is established is that Brooke has that internet bunker mentality that puts everyone who isn't showering him with praise as a troll. Yes, he got trolled, but he put those people at the same level as the people who said things like "maybe you could tighten up your dialog" or "your pacing could use a little work".

Seriously, the guy's made "payback comics" against trolls; in fact the storyline before the whole Romeo & Juliet thing was about an internet troll who gets control over the characters for some reason, makes them do terrible things, then ends up saving the world and hates himself because now people like him!

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.

WHAT HAPPENED TO THE GODDAMN FAIRY HALLUCINATIONS YOU NUTBAGS

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

yep, he said pretty much that. Brooke Delende Est.

Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Mother Goose & Grimm

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Isn't Brooke on record as saying he didn't care about his fans, or that he didn't need their support or that they weren't part of his success? I remember something like that happening a few years back when he turned off all comments on his comics and blog.

Well, here's the current version of his explanation:

The Immaculate Artist (Non-Funky Winkerbean version) In The Flesh posted:

Q: When will you re-open your strips to online comments?

A: I do not plan to do it.

When I signed my first syndication contract, in 1993, online posting was yet a relatively new way of presenting comics (mine was one of the first to be so displayed by United Feature Syndicate). The idea of attaching comments was unknown. Therefore, my contract contained no suggestion anywhere in its innumerable clauses that what I create should of necessity be accompanied by an anonymous farrago of other people's prattle and opinions. Had that been included, I should have nixed it. I work solo.

However, somehow, as time passed, my work, as well as other cartoonists', began to appear with a commentary bog bubbling at its feet daily. Some of the annotations were erudite and thoughtful; a lot of them bland; and a startling share of it vituperative, opprobrious and vapid, directed in the main amongst the trenches of commentators until, with very little provocation, what might begin as an opinion advanced conversationally could degenerate into an imbroglio of shouting and abuse in print.

And it was always anonymous.

Cartoonists are contractually placed under editorial oversight before anything appears in print. Reader comments are not. Clean-up takes place after the fact. I warned my syndicate, when they first told me of their plan to include comments, that the practice would inevitably make them party to libel, an ominous concern to which they were blithely indifferent.

Finally, I called it off. I felt that my work was appearing in the company of the kind of expression unworthy of a maggot. I proposed to my syndicate that I withdraw my strip from publication. My syndicate counteroffered to withdraw the commentary.

This is where it all stands: I gladly publish my work unlinked to, unchaperoned by, extrinsic debate. If that cannot be, I will not allow my work to appear at all. The space in which it you see it online is mine. Those who wish to comment have the entire cosmos of the internet upon which to emblazon their thoughts, and are welcome to do so. And, naturally, they may write to me.

The nook where my work appears will remain free, quiet, a blessed oasis.

"A quiet, blessed oasis." Certainly uncluttered by laughter. Don't applaud, don't sneer, just sit there quietly and let me bludgeon you with a thesaurus.

Anyway, I'd rather read Skippy. (June 23, 1927)

Peanuts would be a blessed relief, too. (September 14, 1967)

And Funky Winkerbean is...well, it's over quickly, and sometimes that's all you can ask.

I'd include Popeye in this morass, but dammit, he's cocking his fist at a baby today!

If you give it enough time, Rip Haywire gives us at least one angry mob per season. Welcome to the back-to-school vigilante riot.

Out Our Way (August 24-25, 1925)

Continuing "Simon Gotch: The Early Years."

And we close with COWBOYZENDORGS!

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Sep 11, 2014

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Midnight Moth posted:

On the Fastrack

"Oh. For a second there I thought you were going to enact some horrible punishment on us again."

Darn it, I laughed at this one. It's actually a pretty clever visual punchline.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Midnight Moth posted:

Dustin

Holy poo poo. A 43% raise after one year? Where were these jobs when I was in college. We got a 25 cent raise at the very most.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

Alterian posted:

Holy poo poo. A 43% raise after one year? Where were these jobs when I was in college. We got a 25 cent raise at the very most.

I had a job that went from $7 to $8 to $9 over the course of about two months. Of couse, it was going from training to field training to full tier 1 tech support for a major mobile company, not a fuckin' bus boy.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Bloom County

Calvin And Hobbes

Ripley's

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

Met your roommate, yet? All that buildup and we're talking about stupid movie night that Bernice didn't even go to.

Apartment 3-G

Pros & Cons

Sally Forth

Yeah, Ralph is old as poo poo, but Jackie is in her 30's and the mother is where age counts, as far as health is concerned.

The Amazing Spider-Man

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Julet Esqu posted:

Yeah, Ralph is old as poo poo, but Jackie is in her 30's and the mother is where age counts, as far as health is concerned.

Actually there are health risks and benefits that come with the father's age! :eng101:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Also an older dad comes with an increased risk of the complications that result from your dad dying when you're a kid.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Emmy Lou

Mandrake the Magician

:allears:

The Phantom

Classic Prince Valiant

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

Midnight Moth posted:

Dustin

Alterian posted:

Maybe that's suggesting they're actually illegally paying their employees sub-minimum wage starting out rather than going through a loophole to make it legal, and the $10 is a carrot so they can quietly fire them one day away from their raise because it's a Right to Work state where the employee's right to recourse has been eroded to nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
It's actually kinda fun to translate Viivi & Wagner since there's no weird puns, just short sentences that I can translate however I want.

(Apparently Korkeasaari's official English name is Helsinki Zoo, but gently caress that.)

There's just not too many good ones in a week.

• Locked thread