Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

I was watching A Million Ways to Die in the West and when the guy is speaking in Indian, he clearly says "Mila Kunis" when the subtitles say "fine"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7yb9v0s0jo

Not sure how subtle it is but I bet quite a few people missed it.

That joke was in all the commercials for the movie for weeks before and during it's release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Oh poo poo, I skip commercials, that would be my bad. Sorry

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Morton Haynice posted:

Am I though? I thought the dead giveaway was the bisected windshield.

from The Terminator

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?
All this talk of neo-noir reminds me of a subtle moment in Memento:

In an early scene, Teddy notices the broken window on Lenny's Jag and offers to take it to someone he knows to get it fixed. While seemingly altruistic, it's part of his plan to get to the $200,000 stashed in the trunk.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Criminal Minded posted:

from The Terminator

Terminators love crushing skulls.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

I was watching A Million Ways to Die in the West and when the guy is speaking in Indian, he clearly says "Mila Kunis" when the subtitles say "fine"

Seth McFarlane loves doing this. I'm pretty sure that when Jabbe the Hutt's subtitles said "Push them in!" in the Return of the Jedi they did on Family Guy, he actually said Mila Kunis.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Memento posted:

Seth McFarlane loves doing this. I'm pretty sure that when Jabbe the Hutt's subtitles said "Push them in!" in the Return of the Jedi they did on Family Guy, he actually said Mila Kunis.

Mike Myers did it throughout Love Guru and it was terrible. Just lazy and unfunny.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Mike Myers did it throughout Love Guru and it was terrible. Just lazy and unfunny.

"Boutros Boutros-Ghali." - "Boutros Boutros-Ghali."

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I disagree. It came full circle and was funny when Mariska Hargitay actually shows up in the movie and they have an awkward exchange.

That doesn't forgive the rest of the movie, though.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Dave Syndrome posted:

"Boutros Boutros-Ghali." - "Boutros Boutros-Ghali."

Hess-ess-ess-ess-ess-ess Chris Waddle!

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

M.Ciaster posted:

I watched The Warriors yesterday and there was a really great little detail I caught: the gang logo on Rembrandt's vest looks much newer then the rest of the team's. That's 'cause Rembrandt's the newest member of the gang. They totally didn't have to put that in, and yet they did. Awesome movie.
That whole movie is surprisingly smart, starting with the fact that it's based on Xenephon's "Anabasis" and some of the names are from it (Cyrus for Cyrus the Great; Ajax, Cleon). Rembrandt is called Rembrandt because he's the "artist" who's responsible for putting up the gang's sign; early in the movie somebody tells him to bring spraypaint, which appears again in the fight in the subway men's room near the end. The fact that he's "artistic" might also explain why he's not taken in by the Lizzies. Or that could just be because he's smart.

In Terror Firmer (I know, shut up) the film starts off with the serial killer pulling a man's leg off and beating him to death with it. Later in the film the special-effects guy leaves saying "I gotta go see a man about a severed leg!" It's a little throw-away line, unlike most of the things in the movie (cereal killer, life-affirming rape scene, "I'm gonna blow my loving brains out!"). At least it was throw-away for me because his saying that has no bearing on anything else in the movie and I'd already forgotten about the guy getting his leg yanked off, which really didn't have much bearing on the movie either.

eta: James Gunn wrote the screenplays for both live action Scooby Doo films, which explains why there are some pretty clever moments- Velma's fangirls have her sign copies of Popular Science, the names written in the front of a creepy old book include "Vlad Fangoria" and "Harry Hausen," in the second film Daphne uses the martial arts skills she learned in the first film. The first movie also has a great moment when Rowan Atkinson gets annoyed and slaps Scooby's paw ("That's a cat with a bobbing head. Please don't touch it.") I think it was improvised.

trickybiscuits has a new favorite as of 05:45 on Sep 4, 2014

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
In Iron Man 2 the old Stark Expo has a cheesy theme song "Make Way for Tomorrow, Today". The song was written by Richard Sherman of the Sherman Brothers, who basically wrote every notable Disney song including "There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow", which was written for the Carousel of Progress Exhibit at the 1964 World's Fair. They basically hired him to make a parody of his own song.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

trickybiscuits posted:

That whole movie is surprisingly smart, starting with the fact that it's based on Xenephon's "Anabasis" and some of the names are from it (Cyrus for Cyrus the Great; Ajax, Cleon). Rembrandt is called Rembrandt because he's the "artist" who's responsible for putting up the gang's sign; early in the movie somebody tells him to bring spraypaint, which appears again in the fight in the subway men's room near the end. The fact that he's "artistic" might also explain why he's not taken in by the Lizzies. Or that could just be because he's smart.

I thought he wasn't taken in by the Lizzies because the movie seems to hint that he's gay. It's been a few years since I watched it though, so I could be wrong.

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!

CzarChasm posted:

I thought he wasn't taken in by the Lizzies because the movie seems to hint that he's gay. It's been a few years since I watched it though, so I could be wrong.

Was "artistic" too subtle?

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Only tangentially related to movies but anyone who likes The Warriors should try to track down the PS2 game. It's a blast and quite faithful to the film as I recall.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

It's not subtle at all, that exact moment was in all the commercials.

Edit: whoops, missed the next page. drat phone posting.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Chard posted:

Only tangentially related to movies but anyone who likes The Warriors should try to track down the PS2 game. It's a blast and quite faithful to the film as I recall.

It's on sale right now, in fact.

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006

That was a super enjoyable game.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Chard posted:

The actor who played Cyrus actually sued them for using his likeness without permissions, so it was maybe a little too faithful :v:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

CzarChasm posted:

There's no specific hint in the movie that Rembrandt was gay, but Marcelino Sanchez was gay and it definitely influenced how he played the part.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos
I'm watching Street Kings and for all the overacting and scenery-chewing there's a nice little moment when the main character bashes a dirty cop over the head with a shovel and grabs his gun. Another dirty cop runs toward him firing but not hitting him, and the main character takes a few seconds to aim and then shoots that cop dead. Reminds me of a scene in The Usual Suspects when a character has a gun in each hand and takes several seconds to aim before firing them both simultaneously and hitting his two targets. It's a nice reminder that you have to aim a gun for it to be effective, and also an illustration that the main character in Street Kings is much better at gunfighting than his fellow cops even though he's also incredibly thick.

Jedit posted:

There's no specific hint in the movie that Rembrandt was gay, but Marcelino Sanchez was gay and it definitely influenced how he played the part.
The interpretation makes more sense than just the other two guys just being complete idiots. The Lizzies also wear rainbow tie-dyed t-shirts, so between that and their name there's a suggestion that they're really not interested in the guys for sex. It's something a straight kid in the late 70s or early 80s might not be aware of but a gay kid might.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

In Brooklyn Nine-Nine there is a guy in the background of scenes in the squad room that repairs the computers that Diaz breaks.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I just re-watched The Lego Movie and a couple of little details stuck out to me.

At one point early on, when a vehicle crash lands (maybe when they get to Middle Zealand?) for a second a bunch of clear stud bricks are stuck to the "camera", giving the impression of out-of-focus water droplets on the lens.

Also, when Emmett is lit from a certain angle, you can see a fingerprint in the shiny part of his torso.

gnomewife
Oct 24, 2010
I was watching Heavyweights for the thousandth time the other night and finally caught an almost-too-subtle bit. During the hike, Tony tells the boys of "Icarus, who rolled his ball up the hill until it melted when he got too close to the sun." What he really means to tell is the story of Sisyphus, but he mixes them up and totally butchers it. It's just another hint that Tony is full of poo poo and beaucoup crazy.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
This isn't so much a subtle moment but something funny I noticed.

I've seen Ghostbusters dozens of times, and I just started watching Grosse Pointe Blank for the first time in years and I noticed this...

Ghostbusters posted:

Janine Melnitz: Do you believe in UFOs, astral projections, mental telepathy, ESP, clairvoyance, spirit photography, telekinetic movement, full trance mediums, the Loch Ness monster and the theory of Atlantis?

Grosse Pointe Blank posted:

Grocer: Hey. Mental telepathy, astral projection, you know.

Aykroyd probably wrote the first line, and I'd guess he ad-libbed the the second. He is into stuff like that.

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!
Hope I didn't read it in this thread but in Skyfall Judy Dench's credit appears super imposed on a tombstone at the beginning of the film.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Nikaer Drekin posted:

Also, when Emmett is lit from a certain angle, you can see a fingerprint in the shiny part of his torso.

There are fingerprints on most shiny materials in the movie. It's a great little touch.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

Mokinokaro posted:

It's a great little touch.

that's some clever posting

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Dear Mr Cave, if you do not release the bats we will be forced to take legal action

Polaron posted:

Assuming it wasn't meant to be unsettling/weird, it could just be because they know you won't notice. Stuff like that happens in movies all the time because of the way movies are made (in chunks shot weeks or even months apart).

Are you trying to suggest that between those two shots being filmed Martin Scorsese just could not get access to a glass of water anymore so he went "gently caress it no one will notice, just mime it!" Or maybe everyone just forgot that that close up they were shooting of a glass of water being lifted and drunk did not have a glass of water in it. How could you possibly think that there might be another explanation aside from it being obviously intentional?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
So I'm watching Zero Theorem and Christopher Waltzs' character is uh, jacking in or something to his call girl/nurse's website and I can hear the lyrics to Creep.

Terry Gilliam claims it was a happy accident.

http://www.nme.com/filmandtv/news/terry-gilliam-didnt-know-the-zero-theorem-theme/334507

quote:

“I hadn’t listened to the lyrics of 'Creep' until the film was being edited," said Gilliam.
"Suddenly, it was as if the song had been written for the film, because the lyrics were perfect. That’s where film magic happens, when all the elements you're working on suddenly come together. Karen’s version is so beautiful in the way it flows, so I wanted her version, not the original."

So idk if this is best for subtle movie moments or stdh but it really fits with the film either way.

tagelthebagel
Oct 23, 2008

syscall girl posted:

So I'm watching Zero Theorem and Christopher Waltzs' character is uh, jacking in or something to his call girl/nurse's website and I can hear the lyrics to Creep.

Terry Gilliam claims it was a happy accident.

http://www.nme.com/filmandtv/news/terry-gilliam-didnt-know-the-zero-theorem-theme/334507

So idk if this is best for subtle movie moments or stdh but it really fits with the film either way.

I just watched that movie, and I read the article what connection does any of these characters/director have to do with Radiohead though? I could not make the subtle connection you were trying to make. Did like the movie though! Can you enlighten me? =D

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

tagelthebagel posted:

I just watched that movie, and I read the article what connection does any of these characters/director have to do with Radiohead though? I could not make the subtle connection you were trying to make. Did like the movie though! Can you enlighten me? =D

Err, it was late and I misread the article. Just ignore.

Thing was, I didn't hear it as a Radiohead song either and I just thought to myself, those lyrics are really familiar but they didn't (I think) do the chorus in the first scene that used it. It was sort of a gradual dawning of what the song meant in relation to the the scenes and iunno. I'm reaching here.

The moment of realization is pretty cool, not sure if it's subtle.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Here's a funny one from the American Dad episode "The Greatest Christmas Story Never Told." There's a scene with the characters at the mall and I noticed Santa's elf was kind of distinctive looking:

The very next scene there's a bit about how the Christmas Rapist was renamed to the Holiday Rapist.

None of this is actually followed up on, it's just a bizarre little background bit.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I'm pretty sure that's supposed to be Brian Peppers.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

RandomFerret posted:

I'm pretty sure that's supposed to be Brian Peppers.

Not nearly ugly enough to be Mr. Peppers.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
In the first season and episode of Bumberdill Cumbersnitch's Sherlock, they cut to a street map of London, and Holmes does the street math in his head on the run to catch well, whoever he's going to catch, I can't remember as I haven't seen this show in years.

To be a cabbie in London you have to have The Knowledge and the natgeo article references 19th century Holmes calling for hansom cabs.

I guess anyone who lives in London would probably know about the ridiculous amount of locations and such that a cabbie would need to know and how that mirrors Holmes' encyclopedic knowledge of the greater area but uh, there ya go.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

That is bonkers.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Centripetal Horse posted:

That is bonkers.

All the cabbies in London are potentially super villains.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
In Robocop when Murphy is talking to Lewis right after spinning his gun around TJ Lazer style, you see him put the magazine back in because he isn't a reckless douche practicing tricks with a loaded gun.

In 300: Rise of an Empire whenever the Athenians ram an enemy ship they kneel down and hold a rope to brace for impact. The Spartans, on the other hand, remain standing and take a step forward in unison to keep from falling over. I thought it was a nice way to show how the professional soldiers had the benefit of additional training.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

syscall girl posted:

In the first season and episode of Bumberdill Cumbersnitch's Sherlock, they cut to a street map of London, and Holmes does the street math in his head on the run to catch well, whoever he's going to catch, I can't remember as I haven't seen this show in years.

To be a cabbie in London you have to have The Knowledge and the natgeo article references 19th century Holmes calling for hansom cabs.

I guess anyone who lives in London would probably know about the ridiculous amount of locations and such that a cabbie would need to know and how that mirrors Holmes' encyclopedic knowledge of the greater area but uh, there ya go.

So whats the payoff? Are all cab drivers in London given fabulous wealth and beautiful women or something? I can't imagine someone going through all that to earn minimum wage.