Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Big Finish recommendations: It begins with "Davros".

Seriously, if you're interested in BF at all, listen to "Davros".

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Davros1 posted:

Protip right here.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Davros1 posted:

I detect a conflict of interest.

I mean, you're not exactly wrong, but still...

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

The opening monologue to "Davros" is one of my favorite bits of voice acting that I've ever heard.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
I liked this episode. The spoonfighting was a bit dumb, the final swordfight a bit predictable, and the "Am I a man or a legend?" speech a bit forced, but overall it worked.

Jerusalem posted:

What Ainley had going for him was that he LOVED being the Master. He had it made financially already so pretty much his only interests were playing cricket or being the Master, and every so often he'd call up JNT just to say,"Hey got any stories with the Master coming up? I'm down!"

It's a shame Ainley didn't play the Master in Curse of the Fatal Death.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Jonathan Pryce is great so no complaints

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Rat Flavoured Rats posted:

Just as a fun thought experiment, I was wondering what Old Who stories people would like to see remade for a New Series Doctor (and which one)?

The Impossible Astronaut/Day of the Moon starring Sylvester McCoy as the older Doctor and Patrick Troughton as the younger Doctor. :colbert:

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Robot of Sherwood would've been fabulous with Six and Evelyn.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Potsticker posted:

You spelt Eleven wrong.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Potsticker posted:

Thinking about it, just add in a somewhat more vibrant vocabulary and appropriately applied alliteration, along with some Jubilee-style ruminations on the nature of history, and it'd fit right in with the original run of pre-Arrangements for War Evelyn audios.

Which is probably a big part about why I liked it - I saw in it the seeds of what I want Doctor Who to be like "by default", which is to say that Doctor Who ought to be mostly comprised of Sixth Doctor stories written by Rob Shearman about the dangers of capitalism and fascism and the problems with mythologizing and historicizing real events without the considered employment of critical thought.

DoctorWhat fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Sep 10, 2014

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

You spelt Eleven wrong.

Six and Eleven would make an amazing pair!

Doctor Smythe probably would have a hilarious dynamic with Smith, berating his childishness.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

DoctorWhat posted:

Thinking about it, just add in a somewhat more vibrant vocabulary and appropriately applied alliteration, along with some Jubilee-style ruminations on the nature of history, and it'd fit right in with the original run of pre-Arrangements for War Evelyn audios.

I felt like the antagonistic relationship between Capaldi and Robin Hood really reminded me of Colin's back and forth with Zane, for example. And Evelyn is the sort of companion who would both be excited to see the historical truth of the stories and get involved in actually saving the day.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Potsticker posted:

Doctor Smythe probably would have a hilarious dynamic with Smith, berating his childishness.

She already did loads of that with Six!

Potsticker posted:

I felt like the antagonistic relationship between Capaldi and Robin Hood really reminded me of Colin's back and forth with Zane, for example. And Evelyn is the sort of companion who would both be excited to see the historical truth of the stories and get involved in actually saving the day.

You know, when I walked out of the Ziegfield Theater after seeing the Deep Breath premiere, I wondered if how much of the similarity I had perceived between Twelve and Six was just wishful thinking and general Doctorish qualities.

But now, I'm starting to think it really is deliberate, and I'm getting a bit giddy over it.

DoctorWhat fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Sep 10, 2014

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

DoctorWhat posted:

You know, when I walked out of the Ziegfield Theater after seeing the Deep Breath premiere, I wondered if how much of the similarity I had perceived between Twelve and Six was just wishful thinking and general Doctorish qualities.

But now, I'm starting to think it really is deliberate, and I'm getting a bit giddy over it.

When I watched you namedrop Colin to Lindalee I thought you were kind of crazy, because I didn't see much of him in Capaldi's performance in the first episode, but with these last two I see where you're coming from.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Potsticker posted:

When I watched you namedrop Colin to Lindalee I thought you were kind of crazy, because I didn't see much of him in Capaldi's performance in the first episode, but with these last two I see where you're coming from.

Crazy? CRAZY? I'll have you know...

... actually, I don't have the energy to do one of those bits today.

In any case, it just goes to show how good my Doctor Who opinions are... :smug:

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
So, speaking of Big Finish, I listened to The Wrong Doctors over the past few days. I liked it, because I am a pedantic anorak who goes gaga for the "could have been" of the televised Colin Baker era.

Even though the thing has two Sixth Doctors and two Mels, which is enough to send most sensible people running in the opposite direction and screaming. I thought it was good, and apparently it's the first of a trilogy? That I think will culminate with old Sixy and his first meeting with the Eminence hivemind thing from Dark Eyes 2?

I don't know. Anyone else heard this one? I would have done a big old review post like some of our other Talented Posters but I haven't the energy to.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

FreezingInferno posted:

So, speaking of Big Finish, I listened to The Wrong Doctors over the past few days. I liked it, because I am a pedantic anorak who goes gaga for the "could have been" of the televised Colin Baker era.

Even though the thing has two Sixth Doctors and two Mels, which is enough to send most sensible people running in the opposite direction and screaming. I thought it was good, and apparently it's the first of a trilogy? That I think will culminate with old Sixy and his first meeting with the Eminence hivemind thing from Dark Eyes 2?

I don't know. Anyone else heard this one? I would have done a big old review post like some of our other Talented Posters but I haven't the energy to.

Well, yes, it's the first of a trilogy with Six and Mel that takes place increasingly close to Time and the Rani, with the 'appropriate" Doctor and Mel, accordingly. It's fairly loose, as trilogies go, but the finale is a solid story on its own and the middle one has some real fun bits.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

DoctorWhat posted:

I detect a conflict of interest.

I mean, you're not exactly wrong, but still...

To have such an audio, to know that with a little pressure on the play button, etc.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Chokes McGee posted:

To have such an audio, to know that with a little pressure on the play button, etc.

I WILL NOT PRESS THIS SWITCH! I WILL NOT COWER!

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.
3 days left on iPlayer playback of Big Finish's EDA S04E02 adventure: Situation Vacant.

quote:

Four hopefuls attend an audition to be the Time Lord's next companion. But who compiled the shortlist? Eighth Doctor adventure stars Paul McGann and Niky Wardley.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01pqn8q

I was lukewarm on the prior episode, but I quite enjoyed this one.

Not sure if they're planning on broadcasting more.

PoshAlligator fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Sep 11, 2014

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
I hated Situation Vacant. Boring and filled with unlikeable characters I couldn't wait for it to be over.

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.
I love Situations Vacant. It moves along at a merry clip, there a number of nice twists, and it's got Harry Biscuit from Bleak Expectations.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

One Swell Foop posted:

I love Situations Vacant. It moves along at a merry clip, there a number of nice twists, and it's got Harry Biscuit from Bleak Expectations.

Bachman really is playing his part as Harry in that one. It's an enjoyably silly story.

FreezingInferno posted:

Have you given the lost stories a go? I quite liked a lot of them (although the one with the celestial toymaker is forgettably bland). Alex McQueen even turns up in one!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Fil5000 posted:

Bachman really is playing his part as Harry in that one. It's an enjoyably silly story.

Have you given the lost stories a go? I quite liked a lot of them (although the one with the celestial toymaker is forgettably bland). Alex McQueen even turns up in one!

The trouble is that a good number of the Lost Stories ought to have stayed lost - the Philip Martin one is particularly distasteful.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

So, Occ's thread is on to season 3 (ouch). I went to check the episode list, to see where the quality is (Human Nature/Family of Blood, Blink and Utopia and then the rest is dross, far as I can tell, though apparently Gridlock impressed some people), and- somewhat unusually- saw an episode I did not remember at all.

It's 42, one of Chibnall's efforts. Reading the synopsis, I think I vaguely remember watching this one, but good, bad, indifferent? Haven't a clue. Anyone?

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Autonomous Monster posted:

It's 42, one of Chibnall's efforts. Reading the synopsis, I think I vaguely remember watching this one, but good, bad, indifferent? Haven't a clue. Anyone?

42 is the one with the loving trivia competition.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
42 is boring despite being about an exploding ship and a sentient sun. So I guess it's bad.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Plavski posted:

42 is the one with the loving trivia competition.

Doesn't Martha call her family or something to go to a computer and Google the answers for her or something? I thought it was pretty funny in a good way. Though I recall pretty much everything else in the plot being a mess. (Was that also the one where one of the astronauts got "infected" by the star they were harvesting energy from and went on a fiery rampage?)

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Jsor posted:

Doesn't Martha call her family or something to go to a computer and Google the answers for her or something?

This sound stupid.

Jsor posted:

(Was that also the one where one of the astronauts got "infected" by the star they were harvesting energy from and went on a fiery rampage?)

This sounds like a lot of fun! Hard to gently caress up a good fiery rampage.

(Do I believe that this show could do it? Yes of course I do)

Anyway, thanks all.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
42 is the one that's 50% RACE AGAINST TIME ALL HANDS TO BATTLESTATIONS GO GO GO and 50% Slow creeping horror threat I wonder what's going on, pretty much randomly mushed together.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

On my skip through 5th doc serials and wow he just straight up plans to do war crimes against daleks.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Autonomous Monster posted:

42 is Doctor Who looking at Sunshine and thinking 'I could do that!' and then... failing. It does have the rather nice moment of Martha trying to get the Doctor into the cryo-unit, him trying to explain to her that he's possibly about to regenerate, and she's not listening at all.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The best thing I can say about 42 is that it is "okay". Where it's bad it isn't offensively bad, and where it's good it's unremarkable. The real-time gimmick somehow fails to convey any sense of urgency, and the only truly standout moment in the episode is the shot of Martha's escape pod falling away from the ship as she and the Doctor silently cry out to each other.

It's also one of those episodes where the benefit of hindsight makes Martha's mother even more ridiculous, because her completely going over the top in her frenzied paranoia about the Doctor turns out to have taken place over the course of the four days her time that Martha has been away adventuring with the Doctor. During this time Martha even pops back in to attend a function with her and talks to her casually on the phone! Yet the mother is constantly running around in near tears moaning,"Can't you see how out of control your life has become since meeting the Doctor!?! :supaburn:" and inviting weirdo staffers of a non-elected politician into her home and giving them intimate access to her conversations with her daughter.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

There is a lot about Season 3 that isn't particularly well thought out. RTD complains a lot in the Writer's Tale about how badly he treated Martha because he just couldn't figure out what to do with her.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jerusalem posted:

Yet the mother is constantly running around in near tears moaning,"Can't you see how out of control your life has become since meeting the Doctor!?! :supaburn:" and inviting weirdo staffers of a non-elected politician into her home and giving them intimate access to her conversations with her daughter.

Saxon was elected (I belive he was at the MoD during "The Runaway Bride" when he ordered the army to shoot down the Racnoss ship*), but it's not really worth getting into.

* As noted by Davies himself, the Master was going to taunt the Doctor by saying that if he hadn't gotten Harriet Jones out of the way it would've been that much more difficult for him to take over, but he cut it out because it was "too cruel" (a serious misstep in my view). I think it would've been a pretty cool angle if he'd been able to sneer, "Harriet Jones shot down the Sycorax ship and you destroyed her career; I shot down the Racnoss and it made me the most popular man in Britain!" That would've been especially fiendish.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
The Celestial Toymaker shows up in a few Big Finish stories, right? I like that character more than I probably should, given the racist Fu Manchu look he had in the actual show.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Metal Loaf posted:

* As noted by Davies himself, the Master was going to taunt the Doctor by saying that if he hadn't gotten Harriet Jones out of the way it would've been that much more difficult for him to take over, but he cut it out because it was "too cruel" (a serious misstep in my view). I think it would've been a pretty cool angle if he'd been able to sneer, "Harriet Jones shot down the Sycorax ship and you destroyed her career; I shot down the Racnoss and it made me the most popular man in Britain!" That would've been especially fiendish.

Yeah, they should have included that and it is frustrating that RTD took it out.

On the other hand, he could hardly leave her as the sitting PM destined to lead England to greatness because it would have both further removed contemporary London of the show with the one of the real world, and also removed any potential calamity or disaster for the Doctor to solve because supposedly Harriet Jones was on top of everything.

That's just one of the reasons I think it is a mistake whenever the show tries to make a major impact on how the world runs in general. UNIT could kind of get away with it because it was both supposedly set slightly in the future and also because they were quite specifically set up as a United Nations thing, meaning they could continue to get into pissing matches with various politicians and major civil servants. Having the President(Elect!) of the United States murdered on air and everybody just shrugging and going on about their business is one of the more egregious examples.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Having the Master throw Harriet Jones in the Doctor's face would have been great, especially given how Harriet Jones still comes to bat for the Doctor in Journey's End.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

PoshAlligator posted:

3 days left on iPlayer playback of Big Finish's EDA S04E02 adventure: Situation Vacant.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01pqn8q

I was lukewarm on the prior episode, but I quite enjoyed this one.

Not sure if they're planning on broadcasting more.

...You know you can click the 'more episodes' button and it straight up says Nevermore is being played. Or click the 'more Doctor Who' link and it tells you it's on next Sunday at 6pm BST? They're clearly playing all of series 4 alongside the new TV season.

• Locked thread