Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

"It's not the size of the tower. It's the motion of the airwaves."
Lipstick Apathy
Perhaps another AT&T rep can confirm this for me. I just posed a question to customer care trying to figure out what happens in this situation.

Customer current has an iPhone 5s on NEXT. They have completed 12 months and upgrade to the iPhone 6 on another NEXT agreement. They come in two days later wanting to return the device, and have purchased a Moto G off contract from somewhere else. Customer care told me the reversal happens and they are simply No Contract and owe nothing on the old device because of the face that they traded in the old one.

Can someone confirm this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Beefstorm posted:

Perhaps another AT&T rep can confirm this for me. I just posed a question to customer care trying to figure out what happens in this situation.

Customer current has an iPhone 5s on NEXT. They have completed 12 months and upgrade to the iPhone 6 on another NEXT agreement. They come in two days later wanting to return the device, and have purchased a Moto G off contract from somewhere else. Customer care told me the reversal happens and they are simply No Contract and owe nothing on the old device because of the face that they traded in the old one.

Can someone confirm this?

Defer to your RAE. Otherwise, yeah sounds right.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Duckman2008 posted:

Its getting there, but it has been rough overall. Beyond tech reviewers being terrible at explaining it, a lot of people heard "ATT lowered plans!" Called ATT customer care, who then switched them without saying "hey, your plan was lowered because of no contract. When you next buy a phone your plan will go up." The surprise and shock we get everyday is crazy. IPhone launch with this will be fun.

Hah, I guess this is me? A while back I read on the blogs that Mobileshare was cheaper so I got the 6 gig plan and saved some bucks. No one EVER mentioned plans changing with a new phone.

So let me ask you. My two options in 48 hours are buy a subsidized phone or buy a NEXT-idized phone. What happens to my plan if I do Subs. And what happens to my plan if I do Next?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Feenix posted:

Hah, I guess this is me? A while back I read on the blogs that Mobileshare was cheaper so I got the 6 gig plan and saved some bucks. No one EVER mentioned plans changing with a new phone.

So let me ask you. My two options in 48 hours are buy a subsidized phone or buy a NEXT-idized phone. What happens to my plan if I do Subs. And what happens to my plan if I do Next?

If you are on a 6GB plan your rate for one line would be $80 for 6GB of data, $25 for your line (currently). So $105

2 year contract: pay discounted price of phone (iPhone 6 as an example is $200) and $40 upgrade fee. Plan goes up $15 for the length of the 24 month contract, so your plan goes up to $120.

Next (I'll just use 18): pay $0 up front, no act fee, add $27 a month to the plan. Plan goes up to $132 a month.

Bascislly, they come out pretty close to equal for you. Are you sure you need a 6GB plan? I rarely have people get that one, 4GB tends to be enough for most people, and family plans should do the 10GB plan.

And to answer in advance, there is no way to change back to the old plans.

Shuffle
Feb 3, 2011

DEA Sloth!
No Fast Movements!
ATT bought out my local provider(element mobile), and is transitioning us from CDMA to GSM so we're getting free replacement phones.

Currently we have 2 dumbphones and my mobile hotspot
we have 500 talk 250 text and unlimited data for 140/month

after the transition will it be possible to upgrade my phone to a smartphone using NEXT, will I be allowed to keep my unlimited data? I live in thesticksso this is my only internet connection.

finally if I can upgrade when can I expect to see the Moto X 2nd gen available?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Duckman2008 posted:

If you are on a 6GB plan your rate for one line would be $80 for 6GB of data, $25 for your line (currently). So $105

2 year contract: pay discounted price of phone (iPhone 6 as an example is $200) and $40 upgrade fee. Plan goes up $15 for the length of the 24 month contract, so your plan goes up to $120.

Next (I'll just use 18): pay $0 up front, no act fee, add $27 a month to the plan. Plan goes up to $132 a month.

Bascislly, they come out pretty close to equal for you. Are you sure you need a 6GB plan? I rarely have people get that one, 4GB tends to be enough for most people, and family plans should do the 10GB plan.

And to answer in advance, there is no way to change back to the old plans.

Thanks for all the info, man!

Im on 6 because it's me and my wife (2 phones). We seem to stay under that. :)

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Feenix posted:

Thanks for all the info, man!

Im on 6 because it's me and my wife (2 phones). We seem to stay under that. :)

OK that makes more sense. FYI look at the plans, the 10GB should be the same price but you get 4GB more of data.

If you switch to the 10GB plan you def should do next, its a bigger difference between contract and non contract.

Shuffle posted:

ATT bought out my local provider(element mobile), and is transitioning us from CDMA to GSM so we're getting free replacement phones.

Currently we have 2 dumbphones and my mobile hotspot
we have 500 talk 250 text and unlimited data for 140/month

after the transition will it be possible to upgrade my phone to a smartphone using NEXT, will I be allowed to keep my unlimited data? I live in thesticksso this is my only internet connection.

finally if I can upgrade when can I expect to see the Moto X 2nd gen available?

You have an extremely unique situation, a local store or customer care is your best answer. FYI ATT won't allow tethering on unlimited either way if you do that.

Not sure when the Moto X is launching.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
With all of this Next talk I'm thoroughly confused, even after reading into things for a while. I currently have one line and pay 85 a month (Some crazy 25% discount) for unlimited data, text and 450 voice (which is not an issue). I also use about 5-6gb of data per month. Would I save anything at all by swapping to Next instead of just renewing for two more years?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

We're getting U-Verse cable / internet installed tomorrow. Does anyone know how the wiring works? Is it coax inside the walls of the house, or does it use the existing phone lines?

Also as a general installation question, how do they usually get the wires from where it comes into the house to where you want the outlet (like a second floor bedrom)? Basement to attic then down the walls?

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

suddenlyissoon posted:

With all of this Next talk I'm thoroughly confused, even after reading into things for a while. I currently have one line and pay 85 a month (Some crazy 25% discount) for unlimited data, text and 450 voice (which is not an issue). I also use about 5-6gb of data per month. Would I save anything at all by swapping to Next instead of just renewing for two more years?

I'm in pretty much the same boat. From what I've read here so far, there's no reason to drop old unlimited plans when you've only got one device and you use a fair amount of data.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

GoodBee posted:

I'm in pretty much the same boat. From what I've read here so far, there's no reason to drop old unlimited plans when you've only got one device and you use a fair amount of data.

Does Next make you get rid of it? Reading more about it it really doesn't bad at all since you're essentially paying retail over time (rather than pay retail up front or pay the extra $200 for an early upgrade as I was looking to do). That said, I still don't have a clear answer on wether I'm forced to give up unlimited data to use it. I'm the very basic barebone plan from the old iphone days (450mins/200texts/unlimited data) and I really don't want to switch to anything else.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Does Next make you get rid of it? Reading more about it it really doesn't bad at all since you're essentially paying retail over time (rather than pay retail up front or pay the extra $200 for an early upgrade as I was looking to do). That said, I still don't have a clear answer on wether I'm forced to give up unlimited data to use it. I'm the very basic barebone plan from the old iphone days (450mins/200texts/unlimited data) and I really don't want to switch to anything else.

I might have misunderstood but I think you need to do Mobile Share to do Next and that comes with a data cap.

Poke
Mar 1, 2004
Was wondering if I bought the 6 outright from AT&T will they unlock it or do I have to go through apple for that?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

GoodBee posted:

I might have misunderstood but I think you need to do Mobile Share to do Next and that comes with a data cap.

I'd love confirmation on this because otherwise I'm missing out the rush and getting my 6 on November.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I don't think Next requires you to go to mobile share, but it's kinda dumb not to. You're paying a contract price on a regular plan, so you may as well keep signing contracts. Next is basically just a different way to finance a device (and a more transparent one)

Unless I'm also misunderstanding how it works.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

myron cope posted:

I don't think Next requires you to go to mobile share, but it's kinda dumb not to. You're paying a contract price on a regular plan, so you may as well keep signing contracts. Next is basically just a different way to finance a device (and a more transparent one)

Unless I'm also misunderstanding how it works.

Maybe Mobile Share is the only way Next makes sense.

If you have an old unlimited plan, it's at the same contract price all the time. No discounts for finishing a contract, thereby paying off the phone or buying your device outright. If you sign a new contract and pay the subsidized price up front then your monthly payment is the same. If you can finance through Next, will it add the price of the phone to you bill? Making the monthly bill more and the total price you pay for the phone more?

I also thought there was only a reduced fee on 10g+ Mobile Share plans. Not true?

My earlier question was why wouldn't I sign a new contract and get a new phone if I want to keep my plan? I'm paying for it anyway.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I posted an iPhone preordering discussion thread to collect some of the more frequent questions. Carrier-specific stuff will hopefully still remain here, but the preordering thread should take care of the other stuff. :shobon:

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
If I want to do a cross-upgrade on a pre-order tomorrow, do I have to do that in a store or can I call CS or use the website?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I can answer the Next questions:

-No Next does not remove unlimited data

-let's clarify: Next is NOT a mobile plan. It is only an installment plan to pay the full cost of the phone. So for an iPhone 6, its an installment plan to pay the $650 pricing (not $200) over 24 months

-Next can be done on old plans and new plans. General rules:
Older plans (non mobile share value): your plan is the same rate whether you do contract or Next. Therefore contract is better.

Newer plans (mobile share value): you get a discount for being non contract. Therefore Next is better.

-Yes if you have individual unlimited plan 2 year contract tends to be better. As always, mileage may vary.

-Super important: If you are on Mobile Share Value, a 2 year contract will raise your rates. It should be in the OP on exact amounts.

Launch day: Apple will be able to do limited Next based sales. If you are not sure on what plan or options to do, My general advice is to stop by an ATT Corp store (or call customer care) to evaluate your plan and see what the best option is. Basically, fix it all before you preorder or get in line for launch.

I'll be going crazy for the next week, but I'll try and drop in when I can.

Phizzle
Aug 12, 2004
heh heh BONERS
Do I need to go to an AT&T store tomorrow to pre-order if I want to take advantage of the trade in deal or is there someway to make it work with online orders?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Both my and my wife's lines are eligible for full NEXT upgrade-ism.

I assume tonight at midnight PST, not accounting for a catastrophic internet meltdown, I should be able to go onto the Apple Store App on each phone, upgrade via NEXT options, and be charged something looking like 30-ish bucks per month (per phone) plus Tax on TOTAL VALUE of the phone, minus Activation Fees. (NEXT perk, I believe, right?)

poppingseagull
Apr 12, 2004
Okay, I think I have this figured out.

5 lines on AT&T family share 10gb - all iPhone5. Contract ends Oct 1. Right now we pay $30/line in addition to the $120 for the 10gb. All together with our discount, some insurance, etc, it comes to ~$290/month.

Come Oct 1, the monthly price will drop to $15/line - great! If we all want a new iPhone6, this goes to $40/line - so more than before.

Not everyone needs a new phone, maybe 2 or 3 want the new iPhone. Sounds like our best bet is to keep the plan as is and buy the new iPhones at retail price? Then our monthly contract will drop significantly. I looked at Next but don't see the benefit. I'd rather have a phone after 2 years that I can sell for $400 or whatever 2 year old iPhones go for these days.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Phizzle posted:

Do I need to go to an AT&T store tomorrow to pre-order if I want to take advantage of the trade in deal or is there someway to make it work with online orders?

This is my big question. I'd like to know if I can get the $300 credit "pre approved" or some nonsense tomorrow and order the new phone for "contract cost - $300 + $40 activation" or not.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Gizmodo posted:

As expected, would-be iPhone 6 owners are currently wading through a torrent of trade-in and upgrade offers. It's all very, very confusing. But AT&T is being clear about one thing: If you trade in an iPhone 4, 4S, 5, or 5C, you will get at least $200 credit towards a new device*.

That's pretty good, if you want to join up with AT&T! And it's especially good if you own an iPhone 4, which is about to be obsolete. Presumably this applies to working handsets only, but we've asked AT&T for clarification on just how messed up your device can be. If you trade in an iPhone 5S, you'll get $300 in credit. You can also get an extra $100 in bill credit "with the purchase of any iPhone when activating a new line of service with a smartphone on AT&T Next," a plan that lets you pay for your phone over monthly installments.

This is a good deal, but not necessarily the best out there. T-Mobile and Sprint promise to meet or beat any other trade-in deal. T-Mobile will also give you an extra $50, if you can find someone that will offer as much as they will. In a phone call with Gizmodo last week, a T-Mobile representative said that they're offering as much as $350 for the iPhone 5S. Which is super good. So trade wisely.

* - The deal doesn't start until Friday, September 12, so don't be concerned if you don't see it on AT&T's website before then!

Hold on, can any of you confirm this? It's Gizmodo so blah but I was going to hold off on the iPhone 6 but a $200 credit on my iPhone 4 is incredibly appealing. The only reason I have been keeping it around was it works on my gym treadmill but I could find a banged up iPod touch for that.

edit:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-09-10/at-t-offers-300-credit-with-iphone-trade-in.html

Bloomberg posted:

AT&T Inc. (T) will let customers trade in their old iPhone for a new iPhone 6 and as much as a $300 credit, joining the wave of deals across the industry designed to lure more subscribers.

The offer will start Sept. 12, the same day Apple Inc. (AAPL)’s new devices will be available for pre-order, AT&T spokesman Fletcher Cook said today in a phone interview. The phones that are traded in have to be in good working order to qualify, he said. AT&T is now the last of the four major national wireless providers to announce a promotion this week targeted at winning iPhone customers.

Each year, carriers count on new iPhones to help gain market share and data-hungry smartphone users as overall growth in wireless customers slows. After Apple unveiled the iPhone 6 yesterday, Sprint Corp. announced the “iPhone for Life” plan, which for $70 a month lets users rent the iPhone 6 and upgrade to a new version every two years. Verizon Communications Inc. is offering a $200 gift to customers who trade in older models and sign up for a new two-year contract, and T-Mobile US Inc. says it will top the best trade-in price with an added $50.

AT&T already offers two deals that also will be extended to the new versions of the iPhone: get a $100 credit on your bill when you purchase any iPhone and add a new phone line to an AT&T Next account; or buy an iPhone for no money down with AT&T Next and get a $200 discount on any iPad.

So this looks like it totally changes my upgrade calculus, I am on a 450/1000 text/4GB data plan and pay $95 a month, I own an LG G3 off contract, contract is up on the 19th. By the looks of the plans it was going to be the same price on Mobile Share off contract as staying on my current plan that meets my needs and using a 2 year standard upgrade which seemed like a really bad deal but $200 might change things significantly.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Sep 11, 2014

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

redacted

Neon Belly fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Sep 16, 2014

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

poppingseagull posted:

Not everyone needs a new phone, maybe 2 or 3 want the new iPhone. Sounds like our best bet is to keep the plan as is and buy the new iPhones at retail price? Then our monthly contract will drop significantly. I looked at Next but don't see the benefit. I'd rather have a phone after 2 years that I can sell for $400 or whatever 2 year old iPhones go for these days.

You keep the phone with Next if you want. You can trade it in after a certain point and not have to pay the balance (and get a new phone) but you don't have to.

Hyrax
Jul 23, 2004

I'm the Goon in the OP. Dispatch your messenger forthwith.
I'm currently on Next, but I got into my 5S after release (January of this year) and I'd like to just sync up with the yearly iPhone release schedule. AT&T's website tells me that I can pay the balance of my remaining months (to January) now and upgrade at any time, but I can't find any information about how that might play into a pre-order. Do I just pay the balance and the sales tax at the end of the order? Does it also mean that I must necessarily order through AT&T instead of Apple, since Apple doesn't think I'm eligible until January?

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I got my micro cell and got it hooked up and it works and it's super weird to be able to send text messages from in the house again

M_A_C
Jan 23, 2001

Quick question dudes... I have the grandfathered unlimited data plan and an iPhone 5. If I get a Google Nexus 5, can I just pop that sim card in it and not worry about losing the unlimited data plan or anthing? Is it that simple or am I cray cray?

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
Finally figured it out enough to do the math on Unlimited data vs Next (10gb)

I have a 20% discount with my account. Unlimited with 450 minutes is 85.12 with taxes. On Next with 10gb it would be 104.13. With no discount it's 99.12 and 124.13, respectively. So it looks like they're not a wise choice unless:

A: if you don't want to pay for the phone up front
B: if you want hotspots
C: if you are positive you want to upgrade next year

This of course doesn't factor in the $100 bill credit that they're giving on the first bill

Edit: I apparently didn't even take in to account the "rental" fee. Yeah, Add 27-47 more on top of the Next price.

suddenlyissoon fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Sep 12, 2014

William Munny
Aug 16, 2005
He should have armed himself if he was goin' to decorate his establishment with my friend.

aBagorn posted:

This is my big question. I'd like to know if I can get the $300 credit "pre approved" or some nonsense tomorrow and order the new phone for "contract cost - $300 + $40 activation" or not.

I tried asking this through a live chat and had to pose a hypothetical to the customer service person ( as the promo isn't live yet) and ended up being linked to the current trade in program website for additional information.

supersteve
Jan 16, 2007

Atari Bigby - UNIVERSITY OF JAH RASTAFARI
If I were to buy the iPhone 6 with Next 12 am I allowed to pay off the full amount of the phone early? If the phone is paid off do I get to keep the phone without having to turn it in before the next upgrade?

Would having the phone paid off allow me to Next 12 another phone before the usual X months?

supersteve fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Sep 12, 2014

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

You never have to turn in a phone with Next if you don't want to. AFAIK the "next" part of that means you normally agree to pay over 20 months the full price of the phone, but instead you pay 12 months + give back the phone in exchange for a new 20 month agreement and getting a new phone, and it starts over again. Otherwise, it's just financing the phone at 0% interest. If you pay it off, it's yours. The last question I don't know, but I'd think yes?

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
So question about signal boosters. I live in an area with decent signal so att won't help me out with a microcell it seems. I live in a lovely metal trailer home since buying a nice house would be stupid in a flood/hurricane area till I can move with my job somewhere else. This however sucks for signal.

Since the signal is good outside would a car type 4g repeater in the window be ok or external antenna or do I need one of those whole house ones?

Or just buying skype minutes make more sense?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Christobevii3 posted:

So question about signal boosters. I live in an area with decent signal so att won't help me out with a microcell it seems. I live in a lovely metal trailer home since buying a nice house would be stupid in a flood/hurricane area till I can move with my job somewhere else. This however sucks for signal.

Since the signal is good outside would a car type 4g repeater in the window be ok or external antenna or do I need one of those whole house ones?

Or just buying skype minutes make more sense?

Do you have home internet? The ATT one is $200 and works as a micro tower in your home. Better for handoffs.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Yes I have internet. I saw they have a new cisco 4g microcell for like $140 on ebay.

Darling Octopus
Nov 19, 2006

I'm on the Mobile Share plan and eligible for both NEXT and the 2-year $199 upgrade but I have no idea which would be best to go with. What are the price differences, if any?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Darling Octopus posted:

I'm on the Mobile Share plan and eligible for both NEXT and the 2-year $199 upgrade but I have no idea which would be best to go with. What are the price differences, if any?

Just do Next.

Possible scenarios: (assuming base iPhone 6)
Upgrade on Next: add $27 to your bill over 24 months. Done.

2 year: pay $200 up front, $40 act fee, and the bill goes up either $15 (if you are on a 6GB or below plan) or goes up $25 (10GB or above plan.

Next is more convenient and extremely close or better in pricing.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I have a 450 minute voice, unlimited data, and 200 text plan that runs me $66/mo after discounts, taxes and fees. My total cost after 2 years for iPhone + service would be 199 + 36 activation + 24*66 = $1819. Assuming I can sell then 2-year-old phone for $250, that's $1569 every 2 years.

If I understand correctly, there's no reason for me to switch to Next unless I want to upgrade to a new iPhone every year, right?

1) If I kept Next with my current plan, I'd be paying $32.50/mo for 20 months for the phone. If I wanted to upgrade after 12 months, I'd have to pay off the remaining 8*32.50 = 260, so my total cost would be (32.50 + 66)*12 + 260 + 36 = $1478. Assuming I can sell my then 1-year-old phone for $350, that's $2256 over 2 years. In other words, it'll cost me $437 for the privilege of getting the 6S, but I have to deal with selling my phone two times.

2) The 2GB Mobile Share, with my discount, would be about $57/mo after taxes and fees; the 4GB plan would be about $83. After 12 months, the 2GB plan would cost (32.5 + 57)*12 + 260 = $1334, and assuming $350 resale value, that's $1968 over 2 years. This time, it'll only cost me $149 for the privilege of having the 6S; my data is reduced to 2GB, but in exchange I get tethering.

Does that look right? So I should only consider straying from contract pricing if 1) I really want a 6S and tethering, and 2) I think I can keep my data under 2GB?

edit: Welp, re-upped my 2 year contract.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Sep 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I'm having a hard time judging what may be my best option as I like to switch phones pretty often.

Currently, running a new refurbished iPhone 5 I just got from Apple and on Cricket's $45/month plan.

Interested in getting the 6+ 64gb on Next 12 and being the 3rd person on a relative's 10gb Mobile Share plan.

What happens if I want to use a different phone say 6 months in? I can't just return the phone to AT&T and they knock off the finance pricing, correct? I have to keep the phone for 20 months until I am free to sell it?

Edit: The trade-in and new activation promotion may be the tipping point I'd like.

cage-free egghead fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Sep 12, 2014