Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Powered Descent posted:

Welp, now I feel a little dumb for not knowing that the battery screen breaks down usage by app. :downs:

Unfortunately there's no app leaping up to take the blame, just the screen:

So I'm still not sure what's going on.

Click on Screen. What's the screen on time say?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Click on Screen. What's the screen on time say?

2h 37m 5s. Which sounds about right, if it's counting back to the last time it was fully charged.

Now that I know where to look, I think I'll re-run the experiment -- charge it up to 100%, then disconnect it and let it sit on idle for several hours, and see what the battery screen has to say then.

Thanks for the pointers!

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Powered Descent posted:

Now that I know where to look, I think I'll re-run the experiment

And now that I'm watching it closely, of course, the battery drain is back to normal levels. :v:

I did let a bunch of apps update last night, so until proven otherwise, I'm going to assume chocolateTHUNDER was right and the drain was caused by some app, which just got a fix.

Thanks again!

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Thanks to NVIDIA's own website, we now have 100% confirmation of the new Nexus tablet.

Say hello to the Nexus 9 dropping in Q4 2014.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
That's the device that's been called Volantis in blogs the past couple months.

Hopefully, ART squeezes enough extra life out of N10 that I can find something decent that doesn't have a 4:3 aspect ratio.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

ThermoPhysical posted:

Thanks to NVIDIA's own website, we now have 100% confirmation of the new Nexus tablet.

Hello 65 page legal document.

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

RVProfootballer posted:

Hello 65 page legal document.

In said 65 page document, found this:

quote:

134. NVIDIA’s new Tegra K1 mobile processor is so powerful it is being used in products other than smartphones and tablets. Acer is using NVIDIA’s new Tegra K1 processor in its Chromebook personal computer, and the Tegra K1 is also used in Lenovo’s Terminator S9,a 50 inch 4K Smart TV. Exhibit 59. The Tegra K1 also powers Google’s new Project Tango Development Kit, a tablet computer that will enable users to track and map 3D environments by making over a quarter million 3D measurements every second, giving mobile devices a human-scale understanding of space and motion. Id. The HTC Nexus 9, expected in the third quarter of 2014, is also expected to use the Tegra K1. Id

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Craptacular! posted:

That's the device that's been called Volantis in blogs the past couple months.

Hopefully, ART squeezes enough extra life out of N10 that I can find something decent that doesn't have a 4:3 aspect ratio.

I had a pretty cool Toshiba Thrive 10.1" from god-knows-how-long-ago. I left that thing ontop of my car during a thunderstorm and it survived without a scratch (despite me having to literally drain the water from it while on).

I'm in the market for a new tablet. Is the general consensus that waiting for the new Nexus 9, or is there another tablet that you guys would recommend. I was looking at the LG GPad but there seems to be a bit of butthurt about the software so I'm going to wait on that.

Secondly: If this is the wrong venue to look for advice on a new tablet, the last "Recommend a Tablet" is archived so my options were limited.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

While I'm sure it's all accurate info, the document technically doesn't 'confirm' it.

It uses the word expected twice. Expected in the 3rd quarter...expected to use the K1. They actually went out of their way not to confirm it. It's kinda silly when you think about it because how could nvidia "expect" a product to use their processor unless they just sold a whole bin of them to HTC and they didn't know what they were going to use them for.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

bull3964 posted:

While I'm sure it's all accurate info, the document technically doesn't 'confirm' it.

It uses the word expected twice. Expected in the 3rd quarter...expected to use the K1. They actually went out of their way not to confirm it. It's kinda silly when you think about it because how could nvidia "expect" a product to use their processor unless they just sold a whole bin of them to HTC and they didn't know what they were going to use them for.

That's a good point and makes me chuckle a bit.

What if HTC just decides to make a 7" tablet instead and throw everyone off. :v: I think that'd be hilarious.

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

I just hope the Nexus 9 is actually announced soon. I have the Nexus 10 and am about to sell it for the Nvidia Shield Tablet. Main reason is simple gaming. I play 2 games on my Nexus 10 and those 2 games take up approx 60% of what I use my tablet for. The other 40% is just web browsing, video playback, e-reader, comic reader, etc.. Stuff that any other tablet can do. What intrigues me about the Shield Tablet is obviously the K1 processor, but also concole mode, the wifi direct controller, the stylus and the potential for Gamestream (if I decide to upgrade my PC video card and my router). At $299 for an 8" tablet that has the new K1 - seems like a no brainer to me for what I want to use it for.

But.....if the Nexus 9 will have the K1 and will be released soon, I could wait for another Nexus device. I'm just getting impatient and frustrated with the crashing and controls freezing on my N10 playing MC5 and SGDZ.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

So what is the heir apparent for 7" tablets? I had an original Nexus 7 but it was broken by drunk "friends" a few months back. I like that size and I like having Android on my tablet. The current Nexus 7 is nearly a year old, so is there something coming out this fall to replace it?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Boywunda posted:

I just hope the Nexus 9 is actually announced soon. I have the Nexus 10 and am about to sell it for the Nvidia Shield Tablet. Main reason is simple gaming. I play 2 games on my Nexus 10 and those 2 games take up approx 60% of what I use my tablet for. The other 40% is just web browsing, video playback, e-reader, comic reader, etc.. Stuff that any other tablet can do. What intrigues me about the Shield Tablet is obviously the K1 processor, but also concole mode, the wifi direct controller, the stylus and the potential for Gamestream (if I decide to upgrade my PC video card and my router). At $299 for an 8" tablet that has the new K1 - seems like a no brainer to me for what I want to use it for.

But.....if the Nexus 9 will have the K1 and will be released soon, I could wait for another Nexus device. I'm just getting impatient and frustrated with the crashing and controls freezing on my N10 playing MC5 and SGDZ.
It will be released in November.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

"Media does not exists."

:smith:

The Hive Queen
Dec 15, 2012
Keeping in mind that I will probably never ever try gaming on my tablet (unless it's Hearthstone?) what is honestly a better choice for a tablet: a 1.2 GHz 1GB RAM quad core or a 1.6GHz 2GB RAM dual core?

For instance...let's say... a Dell Venue 8 versus the ASUS MemoPad HD 7. (Or something to that effect.)

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Asus Nexus 7

The Hive Queen
Dec 15, 2012

Fayez Butts posted:

Asus Nexus 7

AHAHAHA no. No no no. And I only say that because I have gone through 3 of them in the last 2 weeks. All DOA. Which is just really depressing because I really did want one. :(

revolther
May 27, 2008
The 2 gigs of RAM.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Boywunda posted:

You might want to get the Shield Tablet then. I doubt the Nexus will have console mode, wifi direct controller, stylus or the potential for Gamestream.

The K1 is not what makes those things happen it's NVidea. I have an ADT-1 (Effective Nexus TV) device with the K1 and there is no option for any of that nor is there on the Xiaomi tablet (K1) likely the Nexus tablet also will not have any of those options as they are firmware changes that Google doesn't usually allow on Nexus devices.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

The Hive Queen posted:

AHAHAHA no. No no no. And I only say that because I have gone through 3 of them in the last 2 weeks. All DOA. Which is just really depressing because I really did want one. :(

Yeah, that's totally typical and everyone recommending it for the past year are the outliers.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

I'm in love with the design of the new Dell: http://gizmodo.com/while-you-werent-looking-dell-announced-the-worlds-mos-1632621335

Since I doubt I want a 4:3 tablet this could be my next one!

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

It looks amazing, my biggest 'but' is how good is dell at supporting android devices as I don't know someone with one. Also the lovely name, god drat.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
The best part about that Dell tablet is that in a few months of poor sales, it should go on sale for cheap. :getin:

I do love that look, too. I like that there's basically no bezel, except a nice little area for a large front speaker, which is also a nice place to hold it by. I like mt N7 (well...liked it when it was working, it's stuck in a boot-loop now,) but I hate that I'm always covering part of the screen just by holding it.

Edit: Just realized why I like that look so much...that top bezel is basically a copy of the HTC One's top bezel.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Yes, is that speaker design like the One M7 and M8 what makes it look so good. I wouldn't mind a 7" One M8 GPE :getin:

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

Stick100 posted:

You might want to get the Shield Tablet then. I doubt the Nexus will have console mode, wifi direct controller, stylus or the potential for Gamestream.

The K1 is not what makes those things happen it's NVidea. I have an ADT-1 (Effective Nexus TV) device with the K1 and there is no option for any of that nor is there on the Xiaomi tablet (K1) likely the Nexus tablet also will not have any of those options as they are firmware changes that Google doesn't usually allow on Nexus devices.

I don't NEED those Nvidia options of the wireless controller and console mode, etc... I was just highlighting those options as another reason to why I would go get the NVidia Shield tab (plus the cheap price point). Honestly, I love Nexus devices. I have the 10 and the 5. I do some gaming on my Nexus 10, but those games keep crashing, controls keep freezing. I bet I would be just fine getting a new Samsung tab and play those games and it would solve my problem. Aside from those Nvidia options, an 8" tab with the K1 for $299 is what really attracts me. However if a 9" Nexus tab with a K1 comes out soon...maybe I'll wait for that and stick with Nexus.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Thinking about getting the Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 Kids Edition for my 5 year old daughter.

Anyone have anything good or bad to say about this thing?

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Boywunda posted:

the potential for Gamestream (if I decide to upgrade my PC video card and my router).

It's pretty great, I have the Shield portable and use it daily. It's big, but I'm large as well. It's become my favorite controller, with ergonomics like the 360 pad and the layout of the Dual Shock.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I mentioned it a few pages ago, but Google has officially started porting over Android apps to Chrome OS:

http://chrome.blogspot.com/2014/09/first-set-of-android-apps-coming-to.html

quote:

Chromebooks were designed to keep up with you on the go—they’re thin and light, have long battery lives, resume instantly, and are easy to use. Today, we're making Chromebooks even more mobile by bringing the first set of Android apps to Chrome OS:

Duolingo - a fun and free way to learn a new language before your next trip
Evernote - write, collect and find what matters to you, with a full-size keyboard and touchscreen
Sight Words - a delightful way for you to help improve your child's reading skills
Vine - create short, beautiful, looping videos in a simple and fun way

These first apps are the result of a project called the App Runtime for Chrome (Beta), which we announced earlier this summer at Google I/O. Over the coming months, we’ll be working with a select group of Android developers to add more of your favorite apps so you’ll have a more seamless experience across your Android phone and Chromebook.

In the meantime, please tell us which of your favorite Android apps you’d like to see on your Chromebook.

Sounds like they're porting them one at a time to ensure security, but this is promising.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Duolingo? Weird choice, since the app is basically a cut-down version of the website aimed at small screens without a physical keyboard. I guess the offline lesson caching is the draw here?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

EugeneJ posted:

I mentioned it a few pages ago, but Google has officially started porting over Android apps to Chrome OS:

http://chrome.blogspot.com/2014/09/first-set-of-android-apps-coming-to.html

Sounds like they're porting them one at a time to ensure security, but this is promising.

Probably testing them out, since there's no official API compatibility. But since Android and ChromeOS sort of share the same Linux kernel, it's likely they are cherry picking apps to have a curated experience for a while until they get it all sorted out under the hood and then they officially make Chromebooks show up on the Play Store and let the floodgates open.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
My N7(2012) has developed some a weird charging issue. As I write this, its plugged and been charging for at least an hour and has gone up y 1%. I know that it could very well be a lovely cord so along those lines, can someone recommend a good charger/cord combo for the N7? I dont think the charger is the issue, I still have the OEM one, but I seem to go through cards at a rather alarming pace. I'm starting to think there are some issues with the USB port on the N7 itself as cords don't seem to fit in snugly. Anyhow, any recommendations on a better 1)cord 2)charger(in case that does turn out to be the issue) and 3)any comments or thoughts on this in general or any troubleshooting I can do?

Shadow Puppet Of
Feb 13, 2014

If I worked there I'd have freaked out long ago and smeared toner all over my naked body, flopping around to spell out "I TOLD YOU SO!" on the carpet until campus security could drag me away.
:xbone:
I have the N7 2012 charging cradle and love it to bits. Side Chargin' would solve all the problems you list.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Shadow Puppet Of posted:

I have the N7 2012 charging cradle and love it to bits. Side Chargin' would solve all the problems you list.

Seconding this. The charging cradle owns.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

I have to return my iPad to work because I'm switching jobs :( But I used my company discount at the Sony Store to save some money on the new Xperia Z2 tablet which has some pretty drat amazing specs. Anyone have one of these? Are people actually gutsy enough to use a "waterproof" tablet in the bathtub? (This feature caught my wife's attention so she greenlit the purchase)

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
I don't have the tablet, but I do own the Xperia Z1 and use it in the bathtub all the time. Not being cautious either, that thing goes underwater without any damage at all. I even shot some underwater footage in a lake with it. You have to make sure the flaps (USB port, SD slot) are closed but Sony was nice enough to remind you about that with a little pop up from time to time (that can be deactivated if you don't want to see it). You don't even have to close the headphone jack any more as you had to with 1st generation Xperia devices. I don't know how they do it, it's pretty much engineering magic.

Of course, the touchscreen can't really be used under water as it's being "touched" at every possible point. But if you just want to be safe in the tub you absolutely can be.

AlexF fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Sep 16, 2014

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003
FYI: Amazon has 5 new devices on the frontpage right now including a kids tablet. This came out of left field.

http://www.amazon.com/

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Stick100 posted:

FYI: Amazon has 5 new devices on the frontpage right now including a kids tablet. This came out of left field.

http://www.amazon.com/

"Jeff, the fire phone is a disaster"

"Throw everything we have on the front page, NOW"

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That "worry-free guarantee" just gives me more worry when reading the warranty. Unless it's just the same language they use for all their warranties, I don't see anything in there that says if your kid breaks it they will fix it. It just says "normal consumer use." Unless kids throwing things around is considered normal consumer use for this tablet.

JoeMB
Aug 13, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

That "worry-free guarantee" just gives me more worry when reading the warranty. Unless it's just the same language they use for all their warranties, I don't see anything in there that says if your kid breaks it they will fix it. It just says "normal consumer use." Unless kids throwing things around is considered normal consumer use for this tablet.

"Built for even the toughest kids—Enjoy the peace of mind with an unprecedented 2-year worry-free guarantee—if they break it, we'll replace it for free. No questions asked"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That's just a couple sentences on a website, not the warranty.