Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Compusaurus posted:

Jester King Nocturn Chrysalis: Air brought a bottle of this (batch 2? Air?) to a Chicago goon tasting and this was bottled in Sept. 2013 (b1?). I felt Air's bottle was better and that the blackberries came through much more prominently. That said, it was still pretty tasty and the sourest of the night.

Jester King Atrial Rubicite: Bottled March 2013 (also b1?). Holy loving poo poo. This beer, hands down, was the best of everything. Raspberry throughout with a nice tartness thrown in. I doubt I'll have this beer again which is a shame because it was fantastic. NG and Cantillon both deserve the hype they get, but this beer is almost beyond comparison.

Daunte Vicknabb posted:

Batch 1 Nocturn is its own listing for some reason on Ratebeer, I don't remember what differentiates it but you should check there and see if something other than the age is what's making the beer different.

Nocturn b2 was what came with me to Chicago and it was made with marion blackberries from OR, b1 with kiowa blackberries from TX.

The base beer is also different:
"To this end, we made a few changes from the initial blend. Instead of using a barrel aged sour red ale as the base beer, we used a pale barrel aged sour beer. We made this change because we felt that the somewhat softer and more delicate pale, barrel-aged beer did a better job accentuating and complementing the character of the fruit."

IMO b1 was better at highlighting the fruit back when it was fresh. In general, having the JK sours as fresh as possible is the way to go as far as accuracy of fruit flavor, because if you liked Atrial b1, wish you could try fresh Atrial. The tartness moves forward while the fruit fades over time. Fresh Aurelian Lure is mindblowing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Cromlech posted:

Of all the running jokes..

Seriously though, I get that sour beers are, by virtue, "infected". They had problems with some of their not-sour beers imparting a sour character due to infection, but, what I read also was that their innately sour beers (such as Tart of Darkness) developed into sour bombs to the point where a bunch of them got recalled. But I assume that those beers were exempt from that, so is a sour stout as disgusting as it sounds?

Ithaca Flower Power is indeed one of the east coast's finest though. I'll have to get some fresh soon.

Kinda already been discussed but basically anything the Bruery intentionally sours is good to excellent. Oude Tart, Tart of Darkness, and Sour in the Rye are their regular-production sours, and they're all pretty great. I don't know what beer 'developed into sour bombs' that wasn't UNintentionally soured (White Chocolate, Cacaonut, Floyd d'Rue/Rue d'Floyd/a million others). The sours haven't had any oxidization problems or anything else as far as I'm aware, either. How much are you going to pay for Oude and ToD? It honestly may be worth it to trade with a CA'er, they can get them pretty cheap compared to some PA prices. Also, I stocked up on Tart of Darkness when my local shop accidentally priced it at $14.99, so if you're ever around Philly, you're welcome to a bottle.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Ubik posted:

The one bottle of GI Bourbon County Vanilla I've been able to land. I've never actually tasted the beer as far as I can remember, so this is a first for me.

The only bottle you got? That sucks. It was something otherworldly fresh, but I concur that it's still really nice. It's basically regular BCBS on steroids, and that's loving awesome.

For Cellar Raid Wednesday, you'll all be very surprised that your own Founders Hater picked...

2011 and 2012 Backwoods Bastard. Backwoods is one of two things I still buy from Founders annually (FBS is the other). I've heard over and over you shouldn't age it but gently caress that. Let's see how this goes...

2011: Holy bourbon nose! Lots of vanilla, caramel. It smells like a very good BBA'd english barleywine. It tastes a little muted, with the vanilla still heavy and the scotch ale aspects almost entirely gone. Light carb, light mouthfeel, not boozy. Not great but I'm shocked at how much the barrel aging held up while everything else seemed faded. Interesting.

2012: This isn't the same beer, right? Very little barrel in the nose or mouth. Much more carbed. Fruitiness of the base beer is much more forward. Seriously, this comes off as a completely different beast. A year is not a short time but I don't think all the differences can be explained with age. This feels like there was huge variation between the batches fresh.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

danbanana posted:

A year is not a short time but I don't think all the differences can be explained with age. This feels like there was huge variation between the batches fresh.

i feel like there was a big difference between 2012 and 2013, but i might be thinking of 2011 and 2012 (or maybe all of them!)

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

I had 2012 and 2013 last year right around the time 2013 came out and thought they weren't too far off. Same beer, just mellowed a bit with age. I like it more fresh but only by a slim margin. It definitely doesn't fall off as hard as people say. I held onto 3 bottles of 2013 to compare to this years batch. For science.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
I've been sitting on a 2010-2012 Backwoods vertical or two. Maybe I can find someone to help me with it this weekend (outlook is poor though since my bottle sharing friend is sick).

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Opened my Deth's Tar last night for Cellar Raid Wednesday.
Definitely agree with crazyfish and the others, it has peaked. Better than fresh, still not great, but good. I recall a bourbon and chocolate aroma and then a creamier than expected mouthfeel with a hint of bourbon on the front with a big dark chocolate and alcohol finish.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Compusaurus posted:

Jester King Atrial Rubicite: Bottled March 2013 (also b1?). Holy loving poo poo. This beer, hands down, was the best of everything. Raspberry throughout with a nice tartness thrown in. I doubt I'll have this beer again which is a shame because it was fantastic. NG and Cantillon both deserve the hype they get, but this beer is almost beyond comparison.

I got a sip of batch one AR last night as well, and yeah. It smells almost like New Glarus Raspberry Tart (fresh raspberries being picked off the vines, right down to the slightly musky/spicy smell from the plant itself), but then it's sour as well as fruity and just plain amazing. It's my favorite Jester King thing by a good margin, and I'm a fan of a lot of their stuff.

My cellar raid beer last night was an Oak Aged Yeti of indeterminate age; the date stamp in the lower right corner was crimped/rumpled/whatever to the point of being illegible. My best guess was 2010. It definitely had some age on it - not much oak tannin or dark-malt bitterness left. There was a decent amount of vanilla remaining from the wood and a pleasant cocoa powder flavor/mouthfeel to this I found very enjoyable. There was a tiny bit of soy/aged stout flavor that told me I was smart to drink it now, as it was only going to go downhill with more time.

The on-tap surprise last night was Boulder Beer Co.'s Cold Hop, an English style ale that did well on nitro. The hops tend toward the citrus side but balance well with the malt, and the thicker mouthfeel worked better than with more aggressively-hopped IPA types. I'm still not a big fan of nitro for most styles, and I'd like to try Cold Hop with CO2 to see how it compares.

Also on the list of beers from last night were a few IPAs I'd class as "okay but not really worth seeking out," including:
- El Segundo Brewing Co. Grand Hill (probably the best of the lot)
- Red Rock Brewing Co. CoHOPeration
- Lengthwise Brewing Co. Citra Simcoe Centennial

Had some Anderson Valley Pinchy Jeek Barl, which is their bourbon aged pumpkin beer. It veers more toward pumpkin than vegetal, which is nice, and the barrel/bourbon notes are well balanced, but it doesn't do anything particularly well. It's an okay beer that isn't worth the bottle price - especially since Vegas FINALLY got some Anderson Valley Gose in this week. :dance:

BoredByThis
Jul 13, 2001

Watch out! I'll attract you too!

Ubik posted:

Oh yeah, it's Cellar Raid Wednesday and I haven't done one of these yet. I do have reason to celebrate though: I just finished moving into a new apartment, and after three and a half years finally got my homebrew tap fridge back! So I should open up something I've been saving, I guess...

The one bottle of GI Bourbon County Vanilla I've been able to land. I've never actually tasted the beer as far as I can remember, so this is a first for me.

Aroma has all the rich, roasty, chocolatey goodness of most BCBS vintages, with an added figgy note from (what I presume is) oxidation and an extra hint of bourbon-y vanilla. The taste knocks it out of the park: Chocolate, bourbon, fig and vanilla, with incredibly smooth body and character; Baudoinia and Rare are probably the only two BCBS variants I've had that have been smoother. The vanilla isn't in the forefront but is definitely more prevalent than in other BCBS varieties. It's amazing that this beer has held up so well after four years, but then again it spent most of its life in Goose Island Fulton's main cooler.

That's also a bitchin' Crystal Gravy sticker on that fridge.

Capt. Awesome
Jun 17, 2005
¡orale vato!
For Cellar Raid Wednesday I went deep into the corners of my fridge, and pulled out a 2 week old Exponential Hoppiness. It was good, but the hops have completely fallen off at this point, and it's basically a glorified Barleywine. :mad:

Not really. It was delicious as usual! I actually wanted to pull something Barrel Aged out of the cellar for this week, but it was seriously almost 100 yesterday, and I just couldn't imagine drinking a big rear end stout in that kind of heat.

Speaking of beers that go with this stupid heat, I finally found some Anderson Valley Gose the other day. I can't believe how amazingly delicious that stuff is. I'm hoping I can score some more before it's gone for good.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Capt. Awesome posted:

For Cellar Raid Wednesday I went deep into the corners of my fridge, and pulled out a 2 week old Exponential Hoppiness. It was good, but the hops have completely fallen off at this point, and it's basically a glorified Barleywine. :mad:

Not really. It was delicious as usual! I actually wanted to pull something Barrel Aged out of the cellar for this week, but it was seriously almost 100 yesterday, and I just couldn't imagine drinking a big rear end stout in that kind of heat.

I like Expo a lot but I wouldn't exactly call it a hot-day-drinker any more than a BA'd stout. That poo poo is syrupy as gently caress.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Oh Deep Ellum Brewing Company, wonder how long before you end up getting sued for libel :allears:

http://dallas.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/09-11-14-deep-ellum-brewing-company-scotch-sausage-online-feud/

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
I just toured Weyerbacher's brewery and I an shocked at how tiny it is, they only have a 40 barrel kettle. Really nice people there though.

Cromlech
Jan 5, 2007

TOODLES

a worthy uhh posted:

Kinda already been discussed but basically anything the Bruery intentionally sours is good to excellent. Oude Tart, Tart of Darkness, and Sour in the Rye are their regular-production sours, and they're all pretty great. I don't know what beer 'developed into sour bombs' that wasn't UNintentionally soured (White Chocolate, Cacaonut, Floyd d'Rue/Rue d'Floyd/a million others). The sours haven't had any oxidization problems or anything else as far as I'm aware, either. How much are you going to pay for Oude and ToD? It honestly may be worth it to trade with a CA'er, they can get them pretty cheap compared to some PA prices. Also, I stocked up on Tart of Darkness when my local shop accidentally priced it at $14.99, so if you're ever around Philly, you're welcome to a bottle.
Haha, I live in Philly actually! Thanks for the offer, I may take you up on it. And thanks for the info too, I'm glad I'm wrong. What neighborhood do you live in? I think my local shop here in Northeast Philly has it for 22 or something ridiculous.

(cough if you have 3 floyds anything i'll buy that too heh cough)

Perennial Peach Berliner may be just the ticket to undo the injustice that Festina Peche did to me. Okay, that beer isn't THAT bad, but I suspect Perennial's take on the style will be really good

Cromlech fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Sep 11, 2014

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Cromlech posted:

Perennial Peach Berliner may be just the ticket to undo the injustice that Festina Peche did to me. Okay, that beer isn't THAT bad, but I suspect Perennial's take on the style will be really good

It isn't. I found it incredibly dull and lifeless.

Cromlech
Jan 5, 2007

TOODLES
So that's two peach Berliners that are dull as poo poo. I don't get how you can mess it up, Berliners by their very nature are really crisp and stand out. Maybe I'll just wait until Tired Hands has another on tap someday.

I had Aria the other night and I just want more, that beer seriously impressed me.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
FWIW, I'd take Festina over Perennial's any day. But Perennial's is boring as poo poo and Festina is basically peach soda at this point

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

cryme posted:

FWIW, I'd take Festina over Perennial's any day. But Perennial's is boring as poo poo and Festina is basically peach soda at this point

Festina is also a lot cheaper. Cromlech, do you get New Holland wherever you are? (edit- Philly, okay) if so, try to snag some Incorrigible, which is like $6, or maybe the Reserve which is around $10. they make a lot of whatever beer, but those are good.

oh, and and more Perennial hate, i really disliked Last Word- it tasted like super-tannic lime tea. i've never had the cocktail it was based on and now have no desire to try it.

funkybottoms fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Sep 12, 2014

nosleep
Jan 20, 2004

Let the liquor do the thinkin'
Drinking a Gandhi-Bot from the BIF. It's delicious. Very balanced with some orangy tropical flavors at the end. Plus now I have these two cool little half growler elixir bottles I can reuse at my local place. Thanks Podima!

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

nosleep posted:

Drinking a Gandhi-Bot from the BIF. It's delicious. Very balanced with some orangy tropical flavors at the end. Plus now I have these two cool little half growler elixir bottles I can reuse at my local place. Thanks Podima!

I'm sorry, the proper accepted term is "growlitos" and I won't tolerate anything else :colbert:

(Glad you're enjoying the beers and their containers!

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

funkybottoms posted:

oh, and and more Perennial hate, i really disliked Last Word- it tasted like super-tannic lime tea. i've never had the cocktail it was based on and now have no desire to try it.

I tried this, and completely agree. Then at a bar I convince friends to try a sample and they love it and each order a pint. I even tried it again, and it's still just lime peel.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

For Cellar Raid...Thursday, I chose: Sucaba 2012. How loving good is Firestone Walker's barrel program?

Anyway, this is, not at all surprisingly, really delicious. It started out a bit boozy when it was cold, but the sticky toffeeness comes out in spades once it warms up. Have no regrets drinking this fresh or aged. I don't think it's going to necessarily get better, but you can open this one at your leisure. Maybe a year left before it's gone?

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
You know something weird is happening when I gaze upon a price and start thinking about what wines I could buy instead.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Furious Lobster posted:

You know something weird is happening when I gaze upon a price and start thinking about what wines I could buy instead.

edit: I feel like this needs to be a smiley, like :tommestare:?

crazyfish fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Sep 12, 2014

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

a carefully selected ___ of his amazing beers, huh? also, "one of the rarest beers on the planet" has a slight touch of hyperbole about it.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

funkybottoms posted:

a carefully selected ___ of his amazing beers, huh? also, "one of the rarest beers on the planet" has a slight touch of hyperbole about it.

Rarity doesn't mean good either. Like some homebrew I made a few years ago is probably way more rare than anything that guy has ever made.

Zam
Oct 27, 2006

funkybottoms posted:

I love these!

"a carefully selected [beer that we know people will pay $220 for while giving us the excuse to pour BA versions of his regular beers and none] of his amazing beers"

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

Furious Lobster posted:

That strange, tingling sensation you feel is sanity. Don't fight it. Avoid the crush of beer nerds and go buy a mind-blowing bottle of Corton Charlemagne instead. Follow that with a bottle of Champagne.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Perfectly Cromulent posted:

That strange, tingling sensation you feel is sanity. Don't fight it. Avoid the crush of beer nerds and go buy a mind-blowing bottle of Corton Charlemagne instead. Follow that with a bottle of Champagne.
When I've got over $200 to spend on wine, I go straight to the Selosse.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who all is going to GABF/WTF or whatever other events around Denver? Had a local friend help me out in securing a venue to host a bottle share on October 3. Giving everyone here an open invite to join and we'd love to have you!

Gonna handle it similarly to when goons in Chicago hosted a share: PM your email to me (or post it here if you're comfortable with that), I'll include you on the email chain and that's where I'll be sending more details.

air- fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Sep 12, 2014

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Ladies and gentlemen! It's time to get louuuuud!! Give it up for the Oregon Liquor Control Commission!!! ::raucous applause::

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

SUPER HASSLER posted:

Ladies and gentlemen! It's time to get louuuuud!! Give it up for the Oregon Liquor Control Commission!!! ::raucous applause::

i'm falling asleep just looking at that picture

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003
OK, I WILL, IN A MINUTE...

SUPER HASSLER posted:

Hey cool, they named the county after that one brewery.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

funkybottoms posted:

i'm falling asleep just looking at that picture

I think the two dudes in the middle are asleep...

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???

SUPER HASSLER posted:

drat wontcha just LOOK at that diversity! Two black guys! Three women! The four white guys doing the 'safety in numbers' huddle in the middle!

I'm actually being serious that's kinda impressive

Why are you attending this house party, anyway?

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

I found that a bit remarkable too, especially given how incredibly white and male most of craft beer is, but then again you join the OLCC as a political post as opposed to being very passionate about boozing (although the head guy in the center is a beer nerd at least).

I write the beer column these days for the local free alt-weekly newspaper so I'm here to write an article about it. It's not all that bad -- the heads of Deschutes, Rogue and McMenamins spoke -- but now I'm in the middle of a presentation about OSU's fermentation science program and it's reminding me of AP Calculus.

(I found out that Rogue does 85% of its sales outside of OR, which is no surprise to me at all.)

SUPER HASSLER fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Sep 12, 2014

Nerd Grenade
Mar 27, 2010
Can anyone recommend a good sour beer that can be easily found in the DC metro area? I really want to try some but they seem to be pretty hard to find...

Nerd Grenade fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Sep 12, 2014

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Nerd Grenade posted:

Can anyone recommend a good sour beer that can be easily foudn in the DC metro area? I really want to try some but they seem to be pretty hard to find...

Shouldn't have a problem finding Cuvee Des Jacobins Rouge, Monk's Cafe, Duchess, or La Folie. I recall Arrowine almost always had Tilquin on the shelf too.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Nerd Grenade posted:

Can anyone recommend a good sour beer that can be easily foudn in the DC metro area? I really want to try some but they seem to be pretty hard to find...

Where are you shopping? Try P St. Whole Food or drive out into Arlington. We get tons of stuff. Grab some Bruery sours. I never have trouble finding sours I like in Arlington.

Arrowine still had Lambicx Kriek etc last time I was there, too. It's definitely one of the better places to get sours in my immediate area, and I'm sure Nick can help you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerd Grenade
Mar 27, 2010
I was trying to avoid driving into DC if I could but I guess thats the only choice, Montgomery County has such awful selection and prices.