Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Are there any other spells connected to each other like Eyes of God and Fate of Oedipus? I guess Sea of Ice mostly cancels out Thetis' Blessing, though it doesn't end it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Solar Brilliance is a Darkness counter.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

Speleothing posted:

Solar Brilliance is a Darkness counter.

I mean, I guess it doesn't matter if the battlefield is dark if your eyes burned out.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Heat from Hell and Grip of Winter cancel each other out.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Could someone give me a brief overview of how to bloodhunt effectively (in particular, without crippling my gold economy) and how to best to break into Blood as a non-Blood nation?

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

fool_of_sound posted:

Could someone give me a brief overview of how to bloodhunt effectively (in particular, without crippling my gold economy) and how to best to break into Blood as a non-Blood nation?

It depends on your nation, but typically the best option is to give several B1/2s SDRs and have then hunt in a relatively populous province while an army of cheap troops patrols. Keep doing this until pop falls below 5K(which may never happen with good growth).

As for breaking into blood, spectral mages and lamia queens have good chances at blood. Or you can just have a dozen scouts blood hunt until you get enough slaves to empower.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

fool_of_sound posted:

Hunt in unforted provs with 3000-8000 pop, put up to two hunters in there and keep them hunting, relying on scouts to move the slaves to a lab. Use the divining rod item thing (const4, I think) for better hunting.

Breaking in means getting a strong enough blood guy to hunt the slaves to empower more hunters, be it via pretender or random event. Blood is super easy to empower once you get a small economy going.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Have it on your god if it's a plan, or fluke some of the pretty ubiquitous Slave Markets.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Having order scales helps reducing unrest when bloodhunting. Even better if you have patrol bonus troops or fliers. B2s are considerably better at hunting than B1s, so if you can, try to get Sanguine Dousing Rods (Construction 4) ASAP.
I suggest getting blood mages from Amazon provinces or via random events if you want to branch into blood seriously and you don't have any B paths on your pretender.

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004
Hey, I've got Navigate...

fool_of_sound posted:

Unrest management is important for reducing your gold losses to a blood economy. You can't undo the economic damage entirely, just partially. Keep in mind blood hunters typically have upkeep, plus the upkeep of your patrollers and blood slave ferriers, and the lost income to rising unrest and depopulation.. so a blood economy can actually be pretty expensive.

Units with higher AP patrol better than slow moving ones, and flying is equivalent to an AP of 30 for the purposes of patrolling. Typically you want lots of chaff with cheap (or zero) upkeep to patrol. Calls of the Winds is a great spell for making cheap and effective patrols. Undead can do okay, too, just on how inexpensive they typically are to mass.

Realize that your province's real income is calculated after you ramp up your unrest from blood hunting but before you patrol it back down. For example, the game may list 100 income but it may actually only be 50 that you receive.

Order Scale unrest reduction is nice because it reduces unrest without killing off population. Every point of unrest you patrol away costs you 10 people. Growth scales can help to mitigate these losses. The big goal is just to not push a province under 5k population which is when your returns start to scale back. My understanding is that you hunt at 100% efficiency at 5k+ population, and it goes down from there. 80% at 4k. 60% at 3k. And so on.

I find it's best to hunt provinces in that 5k-8k pop range, typically that are mountains or forests with naturally lower income.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

amuayse posted:

I suggest getting blood mages from Amazon provinces or via random events if you want to branch into blood seriously and you don't have any B paths on your pretender.

Yeah, if you're lucky enough to find Garnet amazons, their sorceresses start with B1 and have a chance at B2. They're incredibly rare, though.

nomadotto
Oct 25, 2010

Body of a Penguin
Soul of a Hero
Mind of a Lazy, Easily Distracted, Waste of Space

Nuclearmonkee posted:

welp then no excuses.

I tried to organize a coalition instead of surrendering, but the best response I got was, "totally, I'll get right on that after I'm done doing other poo poo, like 5-10 turns tops" or was generally just not being willing to step on up. I have zero regrets about doing a pre-emptive surrender.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

amuayse posted:

The odds of either of those happening are so low that it's really not worth planning for.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
Today I was playing MA Agartha vs the illithid in an MP game. I found hoburgs.

Cut to the illithid coming out of the sea into a trap province with two armies of 100 hoburg crossbowmen and some mercenary swordsmen in the mix. The hoburgs mercilessly shoot down the illithid and starspawn, and when the rest of the army retreats it runs into an oracle with an army of statues and ancient ones.

The fun thing about the hoburg fight was that they lost their commander but continued to fight, and when they ran out of ammunition they actually ran up and started stabbing shamblers to death with their daggers. Those poor guys were overran by a pile of ill equipped unbreakable midgets in melee combat.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

Eschatos posted:

The odds of either of those happening are so low that it's really not worth planning for.

I thought bootstrapping into a blood economy got harder now that scouts can't use SDRs. Or did that change?

amuayse fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Sep 11, 2014

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

amuayse posted:

I thought bootstrapping into a blood economy got harder now that scouts can't use SDRs. Or did that change?

You're still more likely to be able to bootstrap with scouts than ever run into Garnet Amazons or get blood mages from an event.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
How do you set up a good blood economy then with just scouts?

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

amuayse posted:

How do you set up a good blood economy then with just scouts?
4+ scouts blood hunting in all provinces with 3k to 7k pop. As soon as you have 50, empower a mage and use him to hunt as well.

Honestly, bootstrapping blood usually isn't worth it unless you've got a Slave Market or get a blood mage somehow (Lamia Queens) to kickstart you. It just isn't worth the RP to go into blood unless you're strong in it. Even nations that regularly get b1 randoms are likely to ignore it.

Though the forging can be situationally nice.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
The only real reason to bootstrap blood is to make the boosters if you need them.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Yeah, the only reason I asked was for Blood forging, particularly Blood Stones. Actual Blood magic isn't worth the effort, and my strategy doesn't hinge on me getting Blood, it would just be a nice bonus if I did.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Oh I guess that makes sense. Whenver I get blood mages via events and stuff, I usually just use them as forgers for stuff like bloodstones and imp familiars.
Anyways: Here's the new Mallqui (bound mummy) for Nazca.

Makes me wonder why the demilich doesn't want to be mobile. Also, Second Sun and Theft of the Sun interacts with each other now.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

amuayse posted:

Oh I guess that makes sense. Whenver I get blood mages via events and stuff, I usually just use them as forgers for stuff like bloodstones and imp familiars.
Anyways: Here's the new Mallqui (bound mummy) for Nazca.

Makes me wonder why the demilich doesn't want to be mobile. Also, Second Sun and Theft of the Sun interacts with each other now.

He also said "Thats a regular mallqui. Priests and royalty have more fancy palanquins."

So it seem we are going to have cool palanquin-based combat! :P

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

amuayse posted:

Also, Second Sun and Theft of the Sun interacts with each other now.

"The bat people stole the sun!"
"WE CAN REBUILD IT! WE HAVE THE TECHNOLOGY!" - Anointed of Rhuax

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Stronger, hotter, better than it was before.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
I think I may not really understand how the Fear effect works.

I had the not-particularly-creative idea, see, of trying to make a pretender who could win most fights without having to even fight, that would just be as completely terrifying as possible. From looking through the mod database, I picked out a dracolich (base fear 15), upped its death magic to 10 (25), and gave it a horror helmet (30). Based on the manual, I would interpret this to mean that it has a fear radius of 36 squares, essentially the entire battlefield, and that every turn(?) each enemy unit has to make a morale check against 16 or rout, which at least sounds fairly serious.

In practice, though, it seems like most units seem to shrug it off. I had to actually get up and personal with regular militia before they ran away, and certainly I'm not seeing anybody just run away at the sight of the guy, the way I was hoping they would. Plus he picked up a limp, which is always annoying.

Maybe tossing in Gift of Kurgi if and when I get up to construction 8 would help, since that'd give him 60(!) fear. But that's a long way off, and there's at least one big obvious disincentive to the Gift of Kurgi.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

Strudel Man posted:

I think I may not really understand how the Fear effect works.

I had the not-particularly-creative idea, see, of trying to make a pretender who could win most fights without having to even fight, that would just be as completely terrifying as possible. From looking through the mod database, I picked out a dracolich (base fear 15), upped its death magic to 10 (25), and gave it a horror helmet (30). Based on the manual, I would interpret this to mean that it has a fear radius of 36 squares, essentially the entire battlefield, and that every turn(?) each enemy unit has to make a morale check against 16 or rout, which at least sounds fairly serious.

In practice, though, it seems like most units seem to shrug it off. I had to actually get up and personal with regular militia before they ran away, and certainly I'm not seeing anybody just run away at the sight of the guy, the way I was hoping they would. Plus he picked up a limp, which is always annoying.

Maybe tossing in Gift of Kurgi if and when I get up to construction 8 would help, since that'd give him 60(!) fear. But that's a long way off, and there's at least one big obvious disincentive to the Gift of Kurgi.

I don't think area of effects work in a radius. It's just a number of squares that have to be contiguous, so it may not cover the same area all the time.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Yeah the way AoE works in Dominions is the listed AoE is the number of squares total; Fear 30 means that 30 contiguous squares radiating outwards from the fear-haver in a vaguely even shape; to reliably hit things with Fear 30 you need them to be within 3 - 4 squares of you.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Jabarto posted:

I don't think area of effects work in a radius. It's just a number of squares that have to be contiguous, so it may not cover the same area all the time.
...oooh. That would make a substantial difference, if so. If it's roughly circular, that would mean that the actual radius would be...well, four-ish, I guess. A lot less.

Kind of hard to figure out to which squares it would actually apply most of the time, though. Like, the base area of effect for fear +0 is six squares, but there's eight squares adjacent to a unit - which ones would the fear affect?

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Sep 12, 2014

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Strudel Man posted:

...oooh. That would make a substantial difference, if so. If it's roughly spherical, that would mean that the actual radius would be...well, six-ish, I guess. A lot less.

Kind of hard to figure out to which squares it would actually apply most of the time, though. Like, the base area of effect for fear +0 is six squares, but there's eight squares adjacent to a unit - which ones would the fear affect?

Its very roughly spherical, the game seems to use a vaguely random propagation so you often get things like 1 or 2 squares being missed while all the squares around them are hit.

I gave AoE attacks to archers for a test and it was really interesting seeing some of the shapes larger AoEs like 20 - 40 would generate.

Also Fear doesn't just force morale checks, in fact it might not do that at all anymore no-one is really sure. What it definitely does do though is reduce morale; things in a fear aura will slowly and irregularly lose morale and anything that has its morale drop below 0 routs automatically. Whether there is also a morale check component is apparently up for debate, larger fear auras definitely also cause more morale damage faster.

Interestingly units with morale below 0 will rout independantly from the rest of their squad so when you fight mans with a strong fear haver like the crocodog you see this slow stream of dudes with negative morale running away.

The base area for fear is 5 squares, the only square guaranteed to be affected is the square the unit is standing in. 4 other contiguous (but not neccessarily adjacent) squares will also be affected in a vaguely random pattern. This changes each round.

You can see this happening with Abysian heat auras since they heave little SFX and only have AoE 3 in neutral temp; the aura of 1 abysian will affect the square hes in and 2 other squares, sometimes both squares will be adjacent to him but sometimes it will be 2 squares in a line away from him and it changes each round.

e: I would wild-rear end-guess that the way Fear works now is its a morale check vs 10 (+1 per 5 levels of Fear) + drn and if you fail that check you lose an amount of morale equal to an open ended 1d6 roll +1 per 5 levels of Fear. This seems to be in line with the effects on morale I've seen in-game. Whether that is accurate, there is more to it or it is wrong entirely I have no clue though.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Sep 12, 2014

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
Well, I'm definitely seeing more people run away since giving him a barkskin amulet to make him slightly less fragile and ordering him to attack in melee.

Which leads to the question now of why the heck the "attack rear" order results in him plopping down right in the middle of the enemy instead of behind them. :mad:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
'Attack Rear' makes units run directly right\left. They will continue to run in that direction until they either run into an enemy (at which point they fight it) or they reach the same column as the rearmost enemy squad at which point they will move to attack it.

Whenever they run past an enemy squad they make a morale check of some sort, if it fails they stop following the 'Attack Rear' order and move to engage the squad they failed to pass.

Flying units still make the morale check, and if it fails they drop down onto the squad they failed against. How the check works is unknown except that having more dudes to fly over makes it progressively harder and harder and even mindless flyers are unable to make the check if there are ~300 people in the way.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Neruz posted:

'Attack Rear' makes units run directly right\left. They will continue to run in that direction until they either run into an enemy (at which point they fight it) or they reach the same column as the rearmost enemy squad at which point they will move to attack it.

Whenever they run past an enemy squad they make a morale check of some sort, if it fails they stop following the 'Attack Rear' order and move to engage the squad they failed to

Flying units still make the morale check, and if it fails they drop down onto the squad they failed against. How the check works is unknown except that having more dudes to fly over makes it progressively harder and harder and even mindless flyers are unable to make the check if there are ~300 people in the way.
Well, that's...odd. I guess it's for balance reasons more than realism, as the rear is usually where all the juicy casters and commanders are.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
Wow, knowing how fear actually works makes me realize how incredibly well it synchronizes with awe. Sap the morale of those around you so that they fail the check to attack. I didn't even really plan it out that way, but I tossed a horror helm on a vampire queen with high starting dominion, and she is cleaning up.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

Strudel Man posted:

Wow, knowing how fear actually works makes me realize how incredibly well it synchronizes with awe. Sap the morale of those around you so that they fail the check to attack. I didn't even really plan it out that way, but I tossed a horror helm on a vampire queen with high starting dominion, and she is cleaning up.

Yeah, you should always have Dom 9 or 10 on an awake expander for that reason.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

This dude and horror helmets.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
I often did that anyway, just because awe is neat regardless. I just didn't realize how well it worked with fear.

Another question: can afflictions inflicted by equipping items heal under the same circumstances as other afflictions, or are they even more permanent than usual?

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Strudel Man posted:

Morale also plays into repel checks, as I recall, so having a long weapon or a few bodyguards with spears might work well, too.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Strudel Man posted:

I often did that anyway, just because awe is neat regardless. I just didn't realize how well it worked with fear.

Another question: can afflictions inflicted by equipping items heal under the same circumstances as other afflictions, or are they even more permanent than usual?

The item will reapply the affliction so long as it remains equipped. Otherwise yes.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Neruz posted:

The item will reapply the affliction so long as it remains equipped. Otherwise yes.
Ah. So, not for most purposes, then. That chest wound for the various heart replacements is a rather nasty disincentive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

Strudel Man posted:

Ah. So, not for most purposes, then. That chest wound for the various heart replacements is a rather nasty disincentive.

That's why you stick on a heart of life to make up for any of the other hearts. Heart of life and black heart are excellent for turning stealthy thugs into assassins.

• Locked thread