Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Android Central was able to compare the Moto 360 and LG G R watch side by side.

http://www.androidcentral.com/comparing-lg-g-watch-r-and-moto-360

I'm still really torn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

I'm not, the 360 looks much better than the LG watch when they're side by side.

I got an email from Motorola asking if I wanted to refund my purchase because they put the wrong colors on the order page last Friday.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Mustache Ride posted:

I got an email from Motorola asking if I wanted to refund my purchase because they put the wrong colors on the order page last Friday.

Wish the moto had gone oled.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Mustache Ride posted:

It absolutely looks better. The two concerns I have for the 360 are simply not being able to use Ambient mode (which I'm not sure I care about) and the older processor (making me wonder if it could prematurely get left out of updates.) The LG watch would also be compatible with more bands. The 360 takes standard 22mm bands with standard spring bars, but they have to fit into the slim slot so the band can't be too thick. The LG watch could even take a NATO style band, however it would be difficult to charge it then since the contacts would be covered by the band.

The 360 is easier to charge due to it being wireless and standard Qi. I have a Qi plate at work on my desk, so any battery life concerns if I was going somewhere after work could be mitigated by dropping the watch on the plate for an hour before I left. It would also means I could pack a single charger while traveling and charge the watch, my Droid MAXX and my Nexus 7 2013.

I'm still probably going to end up with the 360. I probably won't be able to resist once they are back in stock.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Don Lapre posted:

Symptom of first gen, and they are building to a price. With the exception of the battery (which I have no opinion on yet, since i've only had it for a day) the moto360 is something I enjoy wearing. It looks nice, feels nice, and is decently useful.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

bull3964 posted:

The 360 is easier to charge due to it being wireless and standard Qi. I have a Qi plate at work on my desk, so any battery life concerns if I was going somewhere after work could be mitigated by dropping the watch on the plate for an hour before I left. It would also means I could pack a single charger while traveling and charge the watch, my Droid MAXX and my Nexus 7 2013.
Same here, I take my watch off anyway when I sit at my desk and type, so I just set it on my Qi charger and don't worry about it.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

KingEup posted:

Hey folks, I'm looking for a wearable (now that the Apple watch has been unveiled).

It has to have the following characteristics:

1. It must be completely waterproof (because I swim).
2. It must monitor my heart rate (constantly over the course of the day)
3. It must be a stand alone device (so I don't have to carry a phone around when I run, swim and cycle)
4. It must be able to upload my heart rate readings to another device so I can plot them on a graph over time.

Does a device like this exist?

I agree that this might be the wrong thread, but here's one: http://www.amazon.com/Alpha-Strapless-Continuous-Heart-Monitor/dp/B00BJ6HLDI

And review: http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/02/monitor-bluetooth-smartant.html

I think those optical heart rate sensors are starting to get into all sorts of watches now (including general smartwatches), so a dedicated heart rate unit may not be the most affordable choice.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

Mustache Ride posted:

I have no idea how Wear really works in practice, but that bezel sticking up around the LG watch makes me think of cases that stick up around the screen on smartphones and how they make it difficult to swipe from the edge sometimes...

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Thermopyle posted:

I have no idea how Wear really works in practice, but that bezel sticking up around the LG watch makes me think of cases that stick up around the screen on smartphones and how they make it difficult to swipe from the edge sometimes...

At least it's angled. The inner edge lines up with the screen, so swiping shouldn't be too much of an issue because you won't catch your finger on the lip of the bezel.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Thermopyle posted:

You don't have to swipe in the from the edges at all. There's four directional gestures that all work the same if you start from inside the crystal vs the edge of it.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Someone did make a nifty app though that sidesteps the crappy app launching scheme on Wear, and its trigger gesture is swiping inward from one edge. I find this launcher tool to be really useful, even if just for getting quick access to alarms/stopwatch.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.npi.wearminilauncher&hl=en

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Mustache Ride posted:

Wow, the 360 really does look nice in comparison! I think I'm going to wait for the next generation though and let everyone else beta test this one.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Can anyone explain why none of these devices are truly waterproof? Several have inductive charging and thus no exposed connectors/contacts, so it shouldn't be THAT difficult to make a sealed waterproof housing, right? Is there something about capacitive touchscreens that makes this difficult?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Mustache Ride posted:

It's interesting what a difference a slightly different photo can make

Also note that to make it fair, it should be a completely blank screen against the G Watch R's dormant screen (or both showing active screens).

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

I wasn't talking about the screen, I was talking about the way it looks like a cheap-rear end sport watch with the humongous bezel.

It looks like something that costs $19.99 from Academy, even if the screen is nicer.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

So, thinking about the 360 and a thought suddenly occurred to me. Has anyone married a Qi charger with a battery pack?

It turns out that yes, this is a thing and there are many models to choose from on Amazon for under $40. That, right there, shows how big of a feature Qi is on these watches. I can get a battery pack that will not only top off my phone and tablet, it would be enough to charge the 360 10 times over.

It's not something you would want to carry around in your pocket, but it just shows how easy it would be to recharge the 360 on the go by tossing one accessory with no cords in your bag or car.

Something like this is pretty small http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K8HGB08?psc=1 . You could easily use a rubber band to keep the 360 against the charger and throw the whole thing in a bag if you need to charge it on the go if you are traveling or something. I don't imagine that tiny battery takes very long to charge either.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Mustache Ride posted:

I wasn't talking about the screen, I was talking about the way it looks like a cheap-rear end sport watch with the humongous bezel.

It looks like something that costs $19.99 from Academy, even if the screen is nicer.

Fair enough if you don't like that style. I don't mind it (wear a non-90s g-shock right now) and prefer a better screen/battery.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

Thermopyle posted:

I think you're in the wrong thread. Maybe try one of the exercise forums or something.

Thermopyle posted:

Because, this thread is going to have people familiar with Android Wear, Google Glass, Apple stuff, Pebble, and the like. Those certainly can't do what you're looking for.

You're going to find people who use something more specialized like what you're looking for elsewhere.

Technically he's right, "Wearables" does stand for "Smartwatches and Activity trackers" the same way "Mobile" stands for "Smartphones and Tablets". I think the situation is a lot like the Windows 8 Tablet thread and the iOS/Android Games threads where the location really comes down to editorial call.

I'd argue the other two options (Watch thread in YLS or someone creating a new thread in YLS) aren't as good a fit as IYG. The Watch thread is about goons doing their best to make you feel inadequate so tracker talk would be off topic. While a thread in YLS "works" since a fraction of people into exercise/fashion will be into trackers, you can just as well say the reverse - a fraction of people into gadgets will be into gadgets specializing in health/exercise.

Keeping trackers in the same thread as smartwatches makes sense because they both make up the general category of "bluetooth stuff on your body for your phone". And the same people in the market for Smartwatches with integrated health functions are likely the same people who already have a Fitbit/Jawbone/Basis etc so can do direct comparisons. Plus it'll also be useful to have a place to redirect all the Healthkit/Google Fit device talk once that stuff ramps up. If nothing else its relevant to the parallel smartwatch conversation since one of their functions will be to serve as the hub for other bluetooth wearable stuff while the phone is out of commission (like in a locker at the gym).

There's probably more fitness goons in IYG than one would expect, there just hasn't been a compelling reason to center it all within a thread because up until this point all the products were siloed. Now the mobile ecosystems are extending into the space and beginning to integrate things there's more to discuss. Changing the title to something more concrete might bring more people out of hiding (something like "Smartwatch, Activity tracker and Glass-thingy megathread") and worst comes to worst and it gets overpowering the activity tracking stuff can always be spun out into a separate thread.

smackfu posted:

I agree that this might be the wrong thread, but here's one: http://www.amazon.com/Alpha-Strapless-Continuous-Heart-Monitor/dp/B00BJ6HLDI

And review: http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/02/monitor-bluetooth-smartant.html

I think those optical heart rate sensors are starting to get into all sorts of watches now (including general smartwatches), so a dedicated heart rate unit may not be the most affordable choice.

With integrated Smartwatches there's a battery trade off to be made so they probably won't replace them completely. I think why he needs the Heart rate data is an important factor as there may be alternatives which don't do monitoring at all/don't do it during workouts which would still essentially pull of the job he's trying to do. Until products start being designed for Healthkit/Google Fit from the ground up + technology improves you're pretty much forced to satisfice.

#1 is iffy because the most data capable monitors are only water resistant (not waterproof). They can theoretically only get by with surface swimming if you don't push buttons but its a stretch. And much of the waterproof health monitors generally require a band for the actual health rate monitoring.

#2-4 suggests he's primarily looking for a comprehensive all day tracker, in which case the Basis B1 Carbon Steel is the best bet will even do the heart rate graphing. Its heart rate monitor isn't suited for workouts but it will still do the next best thing and detect the shift and plot down the rest of the data it can. It's worth waiting though because Intel went ahead and pre- announced that a successor with better battery life/better looks is due November.

If he's optimizing on workout tracking a SWOLF watch like Garmin Swim to complement a Basis/Jawbone/Fitbit etc could be the way to go.

(All this assumes Thermopyle hasn't permanently scared him off and he comes back to clarify at some point though).

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Don Lapre posted:

Isn't OLED impossible to see in bright daylight compared to IPS LCD?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Radbot posted:

Isn't OLED impossible to see in bright daylight compared to IPS LCD?

Depends on the brightness.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

Vagrancy posted:

Technically he's right, "Wearables" does stand for "Smartwatches and Activity trackers" the same way "Mobile" stands for "Smartphones and Tablets". I think the situation is a lot like the Windows 8 Tablet thread and the iOS/Android Games threads where the location really comes down to editorial call.

stuff

yep

That's not to say activity tracker discussion isn't welcome here. I encourage and welcome it.

But, right now, if you're looking to get advice right now about the hardcore activity tracker he's looking for, there has been (nearly?) zero discussion of such things here.

Vagrancy posted:

Keeping trackers in the same thread as smartwatches makes sense because they both make up the general category of "bluetooth stuff on your body for your phone".
He specifically said he is not interested in bluetooth stuff for your phone.

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Sep 11, 2014

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

Thermopyle posted:

there has been (nearly?) zero discussion of such things here.

Well, there was relatively zero discussion of anything until the Moto 360/Apple Watch hit so that's not the best metric.

quote:

He specifically said he is not interested in bluetooth stuff for your phone.

KingEup posted:

No I do not. I don't even care if it has a screen. It doesn't even have to tell the time. Those four characteristics I listed are the only features I'm interested in.

Seems more like he was saying he didn't care about the accessory having typical smartwatch features, not that he didn't want Bluetooth stuff at all. Hence #4:

quote:

4. It must be able to upload my heart rate readings to another device so I can plot them on a graph over time.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Vagrancy posted:

Well, there was relatively zero discussion of anything until the Moto 360/Apple Watch hit so that's not the best metric.

Except when there has been discussion of these types of devices in YLLS.

Anyway, I'm not sure what we're disagreeing about. I agree that such devices fit into this thread. I think they should be discussed in this thread. I think it's plausible that there are those whose use such devices in this thread. I don't think they've been discussed in this thread in the past. I know they have been in YLLS.

If we're disagreeing about anything it's the thin marginal difference between your probability estimate and mine about where he's most likely to find the greatest number of those who can help him and we're basing our estimates on gut feelings about typical users. I'm sure you wouldn't say you're 100% confident, and neither would I.

That certainly isn't something worth the number of words we've put in to it.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Having owned a lg g watch for a month now, I won't be getting another smart watch unless it has an OLED screen. The brightness of the LCD screen at night time makes it unappealing to use as an always on display.

The OLED screen at night with a black watch face should much be darker and cause much less glare.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Sep 12, 2014

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Vague question here but is the Motorola Hint something to be excited about? I've never used a bluetooth headset before but I've been thinking about picking one up lately, maybe with the new Moto X.

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Sep 12, 2014

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Nitrousoxide posted:

Having owned a lg g watch for a month now, I won't be getting another smart watch unless it has an OLED screen. The brightness of the LCD screen at high time makes it unappealing to use as an always on display.

The OLED screen at night with a black watch face should much darker and cause much less glare.

I keep going back and forth on picking up a Moto 360 or waiting for the LG R and while I don't like the overall design of the LG R as much as the Moto 360 I keep leaning towards the OLED screen making a huge difference in usability. With a black face not only should you get great battery life but it will probably come pretty close to passing for a non-smart watch day or night. I can't help but wonder if some of the meh about it isn't that it feels too much like a non-smart watch while the MOto 360 just looks like what you might think a smart watch should look like.

It seems like the resounding complaint about the LG R is that the bezel is too big, high end mechanical watches tend to have large bezels.

A Moto 360 is just never going to pass for a regular watch, I don't think anyone would give that a second glance.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Day 2 report. Again off charger at 7:30, moderate usage until noon, then mostly sitting on my desk. 70% at 5:18pm.
Battery life concerns seem...overstated.

And yes, it charges fine off a standard Qi pad.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I don't mind largish bezels on a watch. What makes the new LG a non-option for me is that it looks like a lovely sports watch. Not to sound all MY STYLE, but it simply doesn't fit my aesthetic so, despite being a good watch (and, arguably, a better smart watch), it has no appeal to me.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

ilkhan posted:

Day 2 report. Again off charger at 7:30, moderate usage until noon, then mostly sitting on my desk. 70% at 5:18pm.

How do you feel about the responsiveness? I'm wondering if people go into it knowing that it's an older SoC, and so are predisposed to feel like it's laggy, or if it actually is laggy.

intervoid
Nov 1, 2004
I went to Google IO this year and subsequently have all three "launch" Android Wear watches -- the Moto 360 (just got yesterday), the LG G Watch, and the Samsung Gear Live. Here are a few things that caught my eye glancing over the last couple pages:

api call girl posted:

Also every smart watch we've seen so far are at best IP67, which is "rated for water resistance up to 1m" and certainly doesn't mean waterproof. They can get soaked fine, but an actual swim is probably not safe.

I actually let my dad use the Gear Live and he has been swimming laps with it for over a month now -- 5 days a week. He doesn't dive down, but he does wear it during swimming every day and has no problems this far. Obviously anecdotal, but IP67 seems decent for lap swimming.

hooah posted:

How do you feel about the responsiveness? I'm wondering if people go into it knowing that it's an older SoC, and so are predisposed to feel like it's laggy, or if it actually is laggy.

I don't feel any lag during normal operation of any of the three watches I mentioned. I just don't think they're really doing enough to even warrant the various chips in them. I've used the Moto 360 for two full days now, and even with the older processor, it functions identically to the other two watches. Battery life is a bit shorter, but it's livable if you charge it every night.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Hughmoris posted:

Vague question here but is the Motorola Hint something to be excited about? I've never used a bluetooth headset before but I've been thinking about picking one up lately, maybe with the new Moto X.

How much do you want everyone to hate you?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

hooah posted:

No issues with responsiveness in my mind.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Hughmoris posted:

It depends on how visible it is. BT headsets have got the I'm-a-douche thing going for them, so it's going to have either be not very obtrusive, or be obviously not a BT headset.

The idea is great, and I'm definitely looking forward to seeing one in person.

ilkhan posted:

No issues with responsiveness in my mind.

How well does the raise to activate feature work? It seems like one of those things that you'll get irritated because it works most of the time, but some times it doesn't...

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Honestly the Moto Hint excites me the most out of any of the new Motorola products, and I think combined with a Motorola phone that has voice assist it will either be really awesome, or the foundation for something awesome. That said...

Thermopyle posted:

It depends on how visible it is. BT headsets have got the I'm-a-douche thing going for them, so it's going to have either be not very obtrusive, or be obviously not a BT headset.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Stopped by Best Buy on the way home from work and checked out the 360 in person. My mind is made up, I'll bet getting one as soon as I can get my hands on one. In my opinion, they nailed the physical aspect of the device and it fits on my wrist perfectly.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Thermopyle posted:

How well does the raise to activate feature work? It seems like one of those things that you'll get irritated because it works most of the time, but some times it doesn't...
Only times its had issues for me is when my wrist is already pretty high or rotated. Bugged me once, but it's pretty good so far.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

bull3964 posted:

Stopped by Best Buy on the way home from work and checked out the 360 in person. My mind is made up, I'll bet getting one as soon as I can get my hands on one. In my opinion, they nailed the physical aspect of the device and it fits on my wrist perfectly.

I don't know what's wrong with Los Angeles Best Buys, but none of them have their 360 displays set up yet.

One CS rep I talked to told me that the West Hollywood store is getting two units on Sunday.

Two.

Either that's totally wrong, or Motorola and Best Buy are seriously loving up this launch.

Argyle fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Sep 12, 2014

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

ilkhan posted:

Like I said, I wouldn't have been surprised if these 'reviewers' were using the drat watch like a smartphone all day long.

I think it is disappointing that Motorola didn't go for higher end chips though.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

The official bb launch isn't until the 14th

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

ilkhan posted:

Only times its had issues for me is when my wrist is already pretty high or rotated. Bugged me once, but it's pretty good so far.

Does the 360 light up like a flashlight in the dark?