Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

What are thoughts on cobalt chrome wedding bands? I'm not going for titanium or tungsten. Is it just some cheap junk metal they are upselling? Or should I just not be a cheap bastard and get gold?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

Zeitgueist posted:

Hello thread!

I was looking for some general opinions on ballpark:

- Officiant Fee(non-denominational professional)
- DJ Fee
- Classical ensemble at ceremony fee

For reference this is a small city wedding.

My Officiant is $150. He really just shows up twice...once for the rehearsal and once to perform the ceremony.

My DJ had three packages. The first was a basic one for $600 that included 1 perk. The second was $800 and had 2 perks. The last was $1400 and included ALL of the perks. The perks were uplighting, club lighting, video screen, music at ceremony, special costumes, 1 extra hour and basic limo service. We just took the $600 package because we really only needed/wanted uplighting.

My fiance looked at classical ensembles for our ceremony and they all wanted stupid money for a 30 minute ordeal...I think she said the cheapest "professional" one that she found was $750.

(These prices are for Cleveland, OH area)

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

FogHelmut posted:

What are thoughts on cobalt chrome wedding bands? I'm not going for titanium or tungsten. Is it just some cheap junk metal they are upselling? Or should I just not be a cheap bastard and get gold?

I got cobalt chrome from Boone Rings and have been really pleased. It's heftier than titanium, tougher than gold, and is a nice white metal that could be confused with platinum at first glance. I got mine with a thin inlay of gold so I had some precious metal in there.

The one thing to remember when ordering titanium, tungsten, or chrome is that resizing is much more involved. Make sure you get your size right.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

ch3cooh posted:

Been doing a lot of work with our wedding planner picking venues, and thinking about catering. gently caress this a lot of stuff to think about.

Anyway, spotted this in a magazine in my doctors waiting room. These people win worst wedding ever

Are you kidding me? I would love to play this wedding. I would toss on Jock Jams, The Space Jam soundtrack, and probably every montage song from Rocky to the Karate Kid movies. After the grand entrance was over I would punch myself in the neck until I passed out and hope that everything went well by time I came around.

SuzieMcAwesome
Jul 27, 2011

A lady should be two things, Classy and fabulous. Unfortunately, you my dear are neither.
poo poo. poo poo. poo poo. gently caress .gently caress.
I think my reception venue is too drat small!!! I have been playing with seating chart diagrams and I am having a REALLY hard time making it work even with out placing the food.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

SuzieMcAwesome posted:

I think my reception venue is too drat small!!! I have been playing with seating chart diagrams and I am having a REALLY hard time making it work even with out placing the food.

Maybe the venue can provide some help? Did they give you a max number of people they could accommodate for a sit-down meal? If so they probably have an idea how it can fit. If you went over that number...uh, not sure.

SuzieMcAwesome
Jul 27, 2011

A lady should be two things, Classy and fabulous. Unfortunately, you my dear are neither.

LogisticEarth posted:

Maybe the venue can provide some help? Did they give you a max number of people they could accommodate for a sit-down meal? If so they probably have an idea how it can fit. If you went over that number...uh, not sure.

No they are no help at all. It is a country club but they are really laid back and it is an outdoor patio type thing and her answer was "well, we have served like 200 people during a golf tournament so it should be fine." I am half tempted to go rent some table and just lay it to be sure.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

SuzieMcAwesome posted:

Plated or buffet style? If it's buffet perhaps you can ante up to make it plated with the caterers and save floor space that way?

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3

ch3cooh posted:

Been doing a lot of work with our wedding planner picking venues, and thinking about catering. gently caress this a lot of stuff to think about.

Anyway, spotted this in a magazine in my doctors waiting room. These people win worst wedding ever

Yeah ummm our wedding cake is a stack of bumper plates so ... each to their own? v:shobon:v

SuzieMcAwesome
Jul 27, 2011

We are broke, so we are doing buffet style but we are picking the food up ourselves and setting it up buffet style. I will have some friends on hand to make sure that things stay stocked on the buffet. There is the option of not having the food under the same pavilion. I do have a pop up tent that I can set everything up in and decorate and that would be out in the yard of the pavilion but of course everyone would have to walk back to the pavilion with food in hand.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

SuzieMcAwesome posted:

No they are no help at all. It is a country club but they are really laid back and it is an outdoor patio type thing and her answer was "well, we have served like 200 people during a golf tournament so it should be fine." I am half tempted to go rent some table and just lay it to be sure.

I'm willing to bet that the 200 people severed was like a cocktail event where people weren't seated at specific tables. At least if it's outdoor patio you're not constrained by total room size. Moving the buffet slightly to the side might not be a terrible idea weather dependent. Come up with a rain plan, and a non-rain plan.

Also, any way you could post your current table setup? If the venue isn't giving you any idea you might be underestimating the number of people who can sit at a table, or maybe come up with a better layout.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Sharks Below posted:

Yeah ummm our wedding cake is a stack of bumper plates so ... each to their own? v:shobon:v

Now I just feel like an rear end. Never mind. Carry on. I'm sorry.

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3

19 o'clock posted:

Now I just feel like an rear end. Never mind. Carry on. I'm sorry.

Hahah awww! Don't worry, I am 100% aware that it's a weird and kinda tacky thing to do, but to me the worst wedding is one in which the people deviate heavily away from the kind of people that they really are. Does that make sense? I'm wearing a red dress because I like red and don't like white/light tones. I've got an enormous family but instead of stressing myself and my partner out (and bankrupting us) with a huge wedding we are taking our nearest and dearest away for a nice intimate thing. Have we copped flak? Yes. Will even those nearest and dearest judge us for having that kind of cake, and using the phrase "in cutting and in bulk" in our vows? YES! The BEST wedding is the one that suits you the individual and you as a couple (more importantly), even if some of your choices seem tacky. :3:

SuzieMcAwesome
Jul 27, 2011

Here is what I have come up with. So far I have been able to get seating in for 88 people. I am anticipating 100 people and that is including wedding party. So, minus the wedding party and dates(which will be at the head table) that is literally 88 seats. This is just an estimate as I have not received many RSVP's yet but based on the ones that our family anticipates will be there, we are spot on exact. I have a feeling that this is too good to be true though! There is an area just outside the pavilion with a picnic table that I am going to enclose as the kiddie area. I even have a little pop up tent deal that I can decorate and make it their own. I also have the option of putting them inside the country club with a babysitter. I have some teen girls at my church that babysit and there is a TV in there to keep them entertained and out of the way. There is also a barn just across the driveway from the pavillion where the bar will be and I have considered putting the food in there. That way, there is room for it and it is under roof rather than being out in the open, but you would have to make the trip back with a plate and cup possibly 2 plates if you wanted salad.

Layout 1 Round tables with 8 to a table,

Layout 2: Personally my favorite as no one is alone across the dance floor and at the back of the dance floor there is a ledge that is about 2 ft wide that I planned on FILLING with candles.

Layout 3: This is with long tables at with 8 at each table, gives seating for 96 plus bridal party also allows for people at each end to get the best view of different things.

Also the head tables do not have to be round it was just an idea. I have also toyed with the idea of all long tables. Here are some real photos of the site.

SuzieMcAwesome fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Aug 30, 2014

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.

SuzieMcAwesome posted:

there is a ledge that is about 2 ft wide that I planned on FILLING with candles.

May I make the same suggestion my stepfather gave me when I said I wanted candles for my own wedding? Don't use real candles. Instead, get the little battery-powered tea lights and put those inside the jar/vase/whatever. Why? Fire + easily accessible to guests + alcohol.

My stepfather is a wise man.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

SuzieMcAwesome posted:

Here is what I have come up with.

As a wedding DJ I would plead with you to change my position relative to the dance floor. I've played weddings before where I was not adjacent to the dance floor and I refuse to do so anymore. If the dance floor is as big as it appears have the DJ occupy a corner of it? It will result in better energy, I assure you. The DJ will probably have all of their speakers at their booth/table so they can adjust and fix things on the fly. They won't be able to function that way across the room from the dance floor.

Edit: Here's what you do: have tables on the dance floor area for dinner, then remove the tables once dinner is complete and dancing kicks off. Problem solved.

GlutenFreeBanana
Apr 5, 2014
Ok most of my plans are set ! Flowers are my issue . Sooooo the centerpieces come with the venue and I'm not going to do extra flowers . I have found a flower wholesaler who's a friend of mine and someone I know offered to do the bouquets for free . The question is would it be cheaper and easier to just have a florists do them and pick them up the day of . Or am I picking the cheapest way . Just confused on how to do this the best way!

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

GlutenFreeBanana posted:

Ok most of my plans are set ! Flowers are my issue . Sooooo the centerpieces come with the venue and I'm not going to do extra flowers . I have found a flower wholesaler who's a friend of mine and someone I know offered to do the bouquets for free . The question is would it be cheaper and easier to just have a florists do them and pick them up the day of . Or am I picking the cheapest way . Just confused on how to do this the best way!

It is NEVER cheaper to have a florist do it vs. buying the flowers from a wholesaler and doing it yourself/having a friend do it.

I did my own flowers and it was literally 1/4 the price a florist quoted me.

SuzieMcAwesome
Jul 27, 2011

19 o'clock posted:

As a wedding DJ I would plead with you to change my position relative to the dance floor. I've played weddings before where I was not adjacent to the dance floor and I refuse to do so anymore. If the dance floor is as big as it appears have the DJ occupy a corner of it? It will result in better energy, I assure you. The DJ will probably have all of their speakers at their booth/table so they can adjust and fix things on the fly. They won't be able to function that way across the room from the dance floor.

Edit: Here's what you do: have tables on the dance floor area for dinner, then remove the tables once dinner is complete and dancing kicks off. Problem solved.

Thanks for the input! I did not think about that! and that opens us up for having the food under the same roof then the only thing across the way would be the bar. and hey that is a sobriety test if you can make it over there , you are OK to be served!

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

SuzieMcAwesome posted:

Thanks for the input! I did not think about that! and that opens us up for having the food under the same roof then the only thing across the way would be the bar. and hey that is a sobriety test if you can make it over there , you are OK to be served!

You'll go from "not enough room" to "everyone seated comfortably". I do weddings in some pretty confined spaces and I actually like the idea of tables on the dance floor. It creates a cool little reveal when tables are moved. It feels like a change of venue without and actual change of venue.

Kick some butt and have fun! Congrats!

Edit: Man I would kill for that venue. Great options for lighting and speaker placement.

Edit2: This dude does a great job explaining floor plans. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RT3x-2LN7TY

19 o'clock fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Aug 31, 2014

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Sharks Below posted:

Hahah awww! Don't worry, I am 100% aware that it's a weird and kinda tacky thing to do, but to me the worst wedding is one in which the people deviate heavily away from the kind of people that they really are. Does that make sense? I'm wearing a red dress because I like red and don't like white/light tones. I've got an enormous family but instead of stressing myself and my partner out (and bankrupting us) with a huge wedding we are taking our nearest and dearest away for a nice intimate thing. Have we copped flak? Yes. Will even those nearest and dearest judge us for having that kind of cake, and using the phrase "in cutting and in bulk" in our vows? YES! The BEST wedding is the one that suits you the individual and you as a couple (more importantly), even if some of your choices seem tacky. :3:

Naw - have fun! I'm just embarrassed that the one time I ever goof on a wedding theme it's in the wrong company. It is my fate to be the most socially awkward person ever.

Even on the internet.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
Does anyone have jewelry insurance that's separate from their homeowners/renters insurance? My renters insurance won't cover the full value of the engagement ring I just purchased, so I'm looking at other options.

Does anyone have Jeweler's Mutual insurance? Anything good or bad to say about them or other insurers?

e: I bought the Zales insurance, so this only needs to cover theft/loss, as repairs will be covered under Zales' plan.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

I've lurked this thread for a while. Just want to say that I proposed to my now-fiance this weekend! It was at the top of a mountain in Vermont, and was just awesome. We haven't even come close to setting a date or anything yet, but we will definitely be looking here for advice.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Does anyone have jewelry insurance that's separate from their homeowners/renters insurance? My renters insurance won't cover the full value of the engagement ring I just purchased, so I'm looking at other options.

Does anyone have Jeweler's Mutual insurance? Anything good or bad to say about them or other insurers?

e: I bought the Zales insurance, so this only needs to cover theft/loss, as repairs will be covered under Zales' plan.

Hey, insurance guy here. I work in Ohio, my license is only good here, but I can offer advice.

You are looking for a Personal Articles policy or an Inland Marine policy. Typically your Renters/Condo/Home insurance will have a per item and a total policy limit and be susceptible to your deductible. Both policies that I mentioned (they are really the same thing, but companies call them different things) should have an option for ZERO deductible or higher depending on if you want.

Who do you have your renter's with? I may be able to point you in the right direction. I looked up California companies and a few off the top of my head that offer coverage are Travelers and State Farm will do stand alone (though they don't like to and many agents will ask you have other partnering coverage), and then you have Safeco, Liberty Mutual, and Allstate that should offer it as a part of the Renters insurance (they can add it to Valuable Articles coverage on the policy).

A Proper Uppercut posted:

I've lurked this thread for a while. Just want to say that I proposed to my now-fiance this weekend! It was at the top of a mountain in Vermont, and was just awesome. We haven't even come close to setting a date or anything yet, but we will definitely be looking here for advice.

Congrats. Now the fun stuff starts!

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Whats a reasonable price for suits/tuxs? I have a bunch of people in my wedding party who are from out of state so I was thinking of doing mens wearhouse (despite me knowing they're poo poo) so I'm just trying to see what my options are.

Also has anyone used "The Black Tux" online service before? Delivery tuxes for pretty good price but Im skeptical since I can't try the poo poo on beforehand.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Whats a reasonable price for suits/tuxs? I have a bunch of people in my wedding party who are from out of state so I was thinking of doing mens wearhouse (despite me knowing they're poo poo) so I'm just trying to see what my options are.

Also has anyone used "The Black Tux" online service before? Delivery tuxes for pretty good price but Im skeptical since I can't try the poo poo on beforehand.

The reviews and anecdotes I've heard about The Black Tux have been positive and it seems like a better option than Men's Warehouse. Suit Supply also has an "affordable" tux for like $500 or so I think, if people don't want to dump money into rentals.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I know its lovely value but I'd rather just rent. I might buy my own suit but I don't want to stretch the budget of my friends even thinner than they already are. Mens wearhouse seems to be the only "chain" suit rental that exist in all of New England for my out of state groomsmen.

If I had ludicrous amounts of money buying them the suit would be a cool groomsmen gift but alas I do not have that kind of income.

E: I'm leaning more toward the black tux, but I'm just skeptical of renting without first seeing the quality/style/fit/etc.

Bread Set Jettison fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Sep 9, 2014

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

OssiansFolly posted:

Hey, insurance guy here. I work in Ohio, my license is only good here, but I can offer advice.

You are looking for a Personal Articles policy or an Inland Marine policy. Typically your Renters/Condo/Home insurance will have a per item and a total policy limit and be susceptible to your deductible. Both policies that I mentioned (they are really the same thing, but companies call them different things) should have an option for ZERO deductible or higher depending on if you want.

Who do you have your renter's with? I may be able to point you in the right direction. I looked up California companies and a few off the top of my head that offer coverage are Travelers and State Farm will do stand alone (though they don't like to and many agents will ask you have other partnering coverage), and then you have Safeco, Liberty Mutual, and Allstate that should offer it as a part of the Renters insurance (they can add it to Valuable Articles coverage on the policy).

My renters insurance is through ERenterPlan. I called them and they could add a rider for up to $5k, but I paid close to $10k and I want to cover all of it. What I liked about Jewelers Mutual is that they are jewlery-specific and they let you choose your own repair shop http://www.perfectcircleinsurance.com/Home/Why-Perfect-Circle I'm open to other options but I've heard so-so things about trying to get jewelry replaced via generic insurance companies that don't specialize in jewelry. If I had better renters/homeowners insurance I'd just throw it on there, but alas...

My only other insurance is auto through AAA, I could look into getting it covered through them I suppose.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

chupacabraTERROR posted:

My renters insurance is through ERenterPlan. I called them and they could add a rider for up to $5k, but I paid close to $10k and I want to cover all of it. What I liked about Jewelers Mutual is that they are jewlery-specific and they let you choose your own repair shop http://www.perfectcircleinsurance.com/Home/Why-Perfect-Circle I'm open to other options but I've heard so-so things about trying to get jewelry replaced via generic insurance companies that don't specialize in jewelry. If I had better renters/homeowners insurance I'd just throw it on there, but alas...

My only other insurance is auto through AAA, I could look into getting it covered through them I suppose.

I would call a State Farm agent...tell them you want a Personal Articles Policy and would consider moving your renters insurance if the price is right. The premium shouldn't be too bad and they will ask for an appraisal. I've been an agent for over 5 years and never had an issue REPLACING a piece of jewelry. The only time there have been issues are when people lose a piece and expect to just be given cash...that isn't how jewelry policies work...they will REPLACE it with likeness and quality OR BETTER. Honestly...if you go this route the PAP with State Farm has a wide range of things you can cover on it for ZERO deductible. If you so desire you can toss your laptop, cameras, medical equipment, guns, sports equipment and all kinds of things on that same policy. Just ask the agent about it.

Trust me, I write, maintain, and manage whole jewelry store policies with Jewelers Mutual and love the company, but sometimes it is easier to have a policy with a Big Time company when it comes to coverages and claims.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

OssiansFolly posted:

I would call a State Farm agent...tell them you want a Personal Articles Policy and would consider moving your renters insurance if the price is right. The premium shouldn't be too bad and they will ask for an appraisal. I've been an agent for over 5 years and never had an issue REPLACING a piece of jewelry. The only time there have been issues are when people lose a piece and expect to just be given cash...that isn't how jewelry policies work...they will REPLACE it with likeness and quality OR BETTER. Honestly...if you go this route the PAP with State Farm has a wide range of things you can cover on it for ZERO deductible. If you so desire you can toss your laptop, cameras, medical equipment, guns, sports equipment and all kinds of things on that same policy. Just ask the agent about it.

Trust me, I write, maintain, and manage whole jewelry store policies with Jewelers Mutual and love the company, but sometimes it is easier to have a policy with a Big Time company when it comes to coverages and claims.

Thanks, I'll look into this. I mostly was talking about the Jewelers Mutual plans because everything else you mentioned is already covered under my relatively cheap renter's insurance ($15/mo, seems cheap to me?). But if I could save money overall by combining everything, that'd be nice. I do want the jewelry to be covered in all circumstances though, which the JM insurance mentions that many renters insurance plans don't cover "mysterious disappearance". If there's one thing I know about my girl, it's that if this thing disappears, it'll be mysterious.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Thanks, I'll look into this. I mostly was talking about the Jewelers Mutual plans because everything else you mentioned is already covered under my relatively cheap renter's insurance ($15/mo, seems cheap to me?). But if I could save money overall by combining everything, that'd be nice. I do want the jewelry to be covered in all circumstances though, which the JM insurance mentions that many renters insurance plans don't cover "mysterious disappearance". If there's one thing I know about my girl, it's that if this thing disappears, it'll be mysterious.

Yea Mysterious Disappearance is an all perils loss and in 80% of cases NOT included on a Homeowners policy without an endorsement (and even more rare on Renters). Most renters should be cheap (I have a crapton of coverage on mine and its only $20/mo), and adding Inland Marine for the ring should be dirt cheap...especially if it is added as a rider directly to a Home or Renters policy. Inland Marine policies are all peril so it is covered for anything (I've had people lose it at truck stops, in lakes, in garbage disposals, stolen, just the gem fall out on a playground, etc etc etc).

Also, get an agent...seriously an independent agent is invaluable when it comes to insurance...they are there to make sure you are covered while the people on the phone at Progressive or Geico really could care less as long as you buy the coverage. You will learn this when you go to rent a hall and want to have Wedding Insurance!

As for anyone else in the thread that is looking for some advice on ring coverages or Wedding Insurance (basically party liability for your reception if you have booze available) feel free to PM me, and I can offer advice as I've worked for 2 of the big 3 insurance companies and now work for a broker that offers 18 different companies so I am familiar with a lot of them.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Bread Set Jettison posted:

E: I'm leaning more toward the black tux, but I'm just skeptical of renting without first seeing the quality/style/fit/etc.

You're not that concerned about quality, style, or fit. The Black Tux will be fine. It's better than MW.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

quote:

Congrats. Now the fun stuff starts!

You ain't kidding. We've been talking about it for like four days and are quickly realizing how difficult this could be. We already made a rough guest list, somewhere between 75-100 people, and are looking at venues now. Massachusetts is a pretty expensive area :-(

We aren't going to have any family help on the money side of things, and are having trouble figuring out what kind of budget we should be working with and what kind of place we can get within said budget.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

You ain't kidding. We've been talking about it for like four days and are quickly realizing how difficult this could be. We already made a rough guest list, somewhere between 75-100 people, and are looking at venues now. Massachusetts is a pretty expensive area :-(

We aren't going to have any family help on the money side of things, and are having trouble figuring out what kind of budget we should be working with and what kind of place we can get within said budget.

Set a date further out. My fiance and I set a date 2 years out and budgetted $15k. We quickly found out that giving yourself LOTS of time removes a TON of the stress from planning. Also, assume that 10-15% of the guests you invite won't show up, and 5% of the ones you invite that don't RSVP will still turn up (people are stupid).

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
^^This.

If you have a long engagement you don't have to spend your whole budget at once. You can buy your non-perishable stuff (rings, decorations, cake toppers, dress, etc) at the beginning or pick them up if you find a good sale whenever, then recoup that money before it's time to buy the time-sensitive stuff (food, flowers, cake, etc) later. You'll have more time between paying deposits and final payments too which is helpful.

You can also save money at some places by booking off season if you don't mind a fall/winter wedding.

Squack McQuack
Nov 20, 2013

by Modern Video Games
I'm looking around for an engagement ring - a square cushion cut diamond with a platinum halo band. I've been looking in-depth at James Allen and at a local jewelry shop. Unfortunately, I'm having problems with both locations (and it doesn't help that I'm a picky, frugal person).

James Allen:
+ Cheaper prices. I can get a better diamond than I could otherwise afford.
- It's an online store. Even though they provide images of the diamond, I won't be able to see it in real life until it's shipped to me.
- They are starting to seem sketchy to me. Over a few conversations with their support, I have uncovered some hidden fees. They advertise "100% free" returns, but in reality this is only if you don't get an inscription. If you do get one, there is a fee when returning. The other hidden fee was for the setting. I wanted to get a ring that was advertised to be compatible with cushion cut stones. What they didn't tell me is that I would have to pay a $250 fee to convert the ring from a round setting to a cushion setting. The support person also sent me to another ring, claiming it was the same except for the round/cushion difference. It was a completely different ring and cost $500 more.

Local Jeweler:
+ I can actually go in and see the rings.
+ It feels safer to buy from people that I can put a face to.
- More expensive. This isn't going to change.
- They are making me cautious as well. The salesperson I have been working with has told me multiple times to "not worry about the report card," (meaning the certificate) and instead focus more on a ring "that speaks to me." She is also pushing rings from Henri Daussi super hard. She says that they are so great because all of the carat weight is in the visible part of the stone, not the depth. Because of this, a smaller stone can appear larger. I'm no diamond expert, but this sounds too good to be true. If this is such a great way to cut diamonds, why doesn't everybody do it?

Not sure what to go with here. I'll keep looking for other stores as well. Everybody says that James Allen is great, so I was pretty disappointed to discover the hidden fees.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Squack McQuack posted:

I'm looking around for an engagement ring - a square cushion cut diamond with a platinum halo band. I've been looking in-depth at James Allen and at a local jewelry shop. Unfortunately, I'm having problems with both locations (and it doesn't help that I'm a picky, frugal person).

James Allen:
+ Cheaper prices. I can get a better diamond than I could otherwise afford.
- It's an online store. Even though they provide images of the diamond, I won't be able to see it in real life until it's shipped to me.
- They are starting to seem sketchy to me. Over a few conversations with their support, I have uncovered some hidden fees. They advertise "100% free" returns, but in reality this is only if you don't get an inscription. If you do get one, there is a fee when returning. The other hidden fee was for the setting. I wanted to get a ring that was advertised to be compatible with cushion cut stones. What they didn't tell me is that I would have to pay a $250 fee to convert the ring from a round setting to a cushion setting. The support person also sent me to another ring, claiming it was the same except for the round/cushion difference. It was a completely different ring and cost $500 more.

Local Jeweler:
+ I can actually go in and see the rings.
+ It feels safer to buy from people that I can put a face to.
- More expensive. This isn't going to change.
- They are making me cautious as well. The salesperson I have been working with has told me multiple times to "not worry about the report card," (meaning the certificate) and instead focus more on a ring "that speaks to me." She is also pushing rings from Henri Daussi super hard. She says that they are so great because all of the carat weight is in the visible part of the stone, not the depth. Because of this, a smaller stone can appear larger. I'm no diamond expert, but this sounds too good to be true. If this is such a great way to cut diamonds, why doesn't everybody do it?

Not sure what to go with here. I'll keep looking for other stores as well. Everybody says that James Allen is great, so I was pretty disappointed to discover the hidden fees.

Have you looked at any other locations near you? And have you talked to a local jeweler about making the ring you want if you provide the loose diamond? I can't find a wedding band to match with the engagement ring I got my fiance, but a local jeweler that makes his own pieces has offered to make a fitted band with diamonds I provide.

I know this seems like more work, but I wasn't sure how much effort and time you wanted to invest...

I can tell you 100% that I regret getting my fiance's ring from an online vendor. The diamond fell out after 8 months and only 2 months after they "inspected" it per the warranty. They nickle and dimed me the whole way (resizing was $125 ten days after buying and proposing to my fiance), and when the diamond fell out they wanted to charge me another $150 to have it reset...local guy did it for $35 AND used jewelers epoxy to make sure it won't fall out again.

Squack McQuack
Nov 20, 2013

by Modern Video Games

OssiansFolly posted:

Have you looked at any other locations near you? And have you talked to a local jeweler about making the ring you want if you provide the loose diamond? I can't find a wedding band to match with the engagement ring I got my fiance, but a local jeweler that makes his own pieces has offered to make a fitted band with diamonds I provide.

I know this seems like more work, but I wasn't sure how much effort and time you wanted to invest...

Interesting idea. I'm willing to invest all the time and effort in the world. Money however...

quote:

I can tell you 100% that I regret getting my fiance's ring from an online vendor. The diamond fell out after 8 months and only 2 months after they "inspected" it per the warranty. They nickle and dimed me the whole way (resizing was $125 ten days after buying and proposing to my fiance), and when the diamond fell out they wanted to charge me another $150 to have it reset...local guy did it for $35 AND used jewelers epoxy to make sure it won't fall out again.

Sorry to hear that. Which vendor did you purchase from?

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Squack McQuack posted:

The salesperson I have been working with has told me multiple times to "not worry about the report card," (meaning the certificate) and instead focus more on a ring "that speaks to me."

Yeah, gently caress them, go somewhere else. There are good arguments either way for online v. B&M but it's pretty clear that you're going to get screwed by that place.

I had a great experience with Whiteflash as an online vendor, if you want a different option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbandonShip
Dec 25, 2007

My fiancee and I are in the same boat. Just engaged in August, I want to get married next year, but since we are in NJ (also not cheap) and want to keep it under $20k we are pushing it out until fall 2016 so we can put money down as we go. But I feel like a long engagement will be nice for other reasons too. I have more than enough time to plan but not go too nuts (though I'm sure I still will!)

I googled "NJ wedding venues under $100" or some such, and found a few forums that had a LOT of nice venues and suggestions that we are going to check out. I'm also fairly crafty and will be DIY'ing a lot of the wedding, which will save some money. So do a ton of research, and if you don't mind traveling a bit (a few of my choice venues are about an hour or so away in PA, but are much cheaper) that's an option too.