Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

some texas redneck posted:

Got an IKEA nearby?

Unfortunately, the halogen base bulbs (GU, MR) aren't able to be purchased online, but if you have a store near you, it works out.

All of their LEDs are ~2700k. And pretty drat cheap. They have a lot more in the stores that aren't even listed online (such as the PAR38 replacements that I have in my living room recessed lights).

I have a few of those on my nightstands & floorlamps but one stopped working pretty quickly. Too bad it's a decent drive or I'd check it out anyway. Oh, they have a good battery charger at Ikea for anybody who has NiMH batteries but needs to charge one at a time instead of in pairs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Unfortunately, the Ikea ones are pretty cheap stuff to begin with - I managed to dig up the LED info on some website for the bulbs I have, and found the exact same bulbs on Alibaba. :sigh: The price was attractive, and someone else in the house outright hated the way the Cree versions looked (exact same light color, and a little brighter.. they just hated the frosted lens). :argh:

I drive past an Ikea twice a day (and actually worked there briefly, holy poo poo they don't know how to write a schedule around other commitments).

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
It's actually not that far from where I live now but the traffic is often horrendous and my eye is still all blurry so I don't wanna drive.

I guess the size I want is the 6.35mm base. I don't know why they have 4mm and 8mm but not 6.35 on superbright. :(

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

What pisses me off is that LED light companies are giant loving pussies.

Nobody seems to want to make a real lightbulb. Every single one produces the same thing, an LED lightbulb that uses 4 watts and produces the same light as a 60 watt bulb. One of them needs to grow some nuts and make an LED light bulb that uses 60 watts and lets me see through drywall.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Haven't taken a close look at street lights lately, I take it? Or a 7-11? Or a lot of grocery stores?

A lot of cities have moved to LEDs for street lights (and traffic lights). drat near every 7-11 in the US is 100% LED inside and out, at least corporate owned stores (I would think they've done the same in Canada). Many grocery stores have retrofitted LEDs into their coolers - they're drop-in replacements that replace the fluorescent tubes, though you generally remove the ballasts from the fixtures and wire 120V (or whatever those lights ran on) directly to the sockets.

My 14 7-8 watt(?) LEDs basically burn the finish off of the wood floors, from 16-18 ft up - they're PAR38 90 watt replacements in 6 inch recessed light cans, but they're much more focused than a normal flood. More diffused than a spotlight, yet somehow brighter. You don't dare look directly at them when they're on full brightness; we generally run them at 1/2 brightness (while the 90 watt incandescents they replaced were usually run at 100% - the LEDs we use are rated to work with dimmers).

They're out there, they're just pricy - and not available in a grocery store. Your local big box home improvement store will have a reasonable selection; you have to go to speciality distributors or Amazon for stuff like fluorescent tube replacements.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Sep 11, 2014

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

You can obviously get more powerful lights for different housings, but the only focus seems to be matching the lumen output of regular bulbs at the lowest power usage.

The worst offender is GU10 bulbs. The regular halogens are 50 watt, the most powerful LED replacement i've found is 6 watt and still gives the same fuckall amount of light. Give me a 50 watt GU10 LED, i want my light switch to have a disinfect position.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

gently caress you Apple and U2, you gigantic sacks of poo poo :argh:

I've been given an iPad Air through this course I'm taking on process management, which is all well and good. It's a pretty slick piece of hardware and OS, and the tablet-focused app ecosystem is miles ahead of the Android equivalent (99% of all Android apps are designed almost exclusively for phones). The screen is obviously amazing with 260ppi or whatever, I used to have a 225ppi Android tablet before, but this renders text even better.

But suddenly, a goddamn U2 album shows up in the music library because Tim Cook and Bono apparently can't stop choking on each others sanctimonious rich white dude dicks and have decided to give away the latest shitshow U2 album for free. Of course, they do this by forcing it on literally everyone with an Apple ID and/or iTunes account.

I don't want that poo poo. I hate U2 with the burning passion of a trillion suns. I hate Bono and his holier-than-thou attitude and his stupid-rear end sunglasses. I hate The Edge because gently caress you, you don't get to be edgy or cool just because you change your name, learn to play the guitar instead. And I hate those two other dudes that no one can remember, because they suck too. I hate them all, and I hate the pussification of rock music for which they stand.

I want that poo poo gone. I do not want even the slightest trace of anything related to U2 anywhere. But noooo, you can't delete a "purchase" from iTunes, you can only "hide" it. That's not good enough. Pull your poo poo together, Apple.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Oh you have a date Thursday night? Have fun waking up to 4,000 new zits that appeared overnight.

The contractor I work for replaced every single street light in a city with LEDs a couple years ago. Cool poo poo.

Super Aggro Crag fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Sep 11, 2014

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

CharlesM posted:

Do you guys have a preferred source for LED lightbulbs? My apartment has all halogen fixtures unfortunately. I've bought one from superbrightleds.com and it was very good and a good color temperature (2700K). I don't think they carry the smaller size bulbs with a halogen base though.

I really like the Cree bulbs from Home Depot. They're expensive, but I find it worth it to know if I ever have any trouble with them I can drive 5 minutes down the road and have it swapped out no questions asked.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
A buddy of mine brought over his Z3 yesterday so I could try to find an exhaust leak. Dark green, impeccable shape. God drat it's a beautiful car.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

CornHolio posted:

A buddy of mine brought over his Z3 yesterday so I could try to find an exhaust leak. Dark green, impeccable shape. God drat it's a beautiful car.

My gut instinct says those are going to bubble in the next decade. They can be had for around 3500-8500 depending on condition in this area, but I get the feeling prices are bottoming out right now. I've always liked the way those look better than the Z4's.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txj6ROnIUIo

Ducktales theme with real ducks

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 204 days!)

I'm surprised nobody has linked this one, yet..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1v_EcjeIkg

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

keykey posted:

My gut instinct says those are going to bubble in the next decade. They can be had for around 3500-8500 depending on condition in this area, but I get the feeling prices are bottoming out right now. I've always liked the way those look better than the Z4's.

I think he said he paid $7200 for a rust-free, 78k miles, 5-speed one a couple of years ago. He put a brand-new top on it, too, so that certainly adds some value.

Surprisingly he went for the 1.8 4-pot over any of the sixes, saying the car is more balanced. I'm sure there's merit to that, but I wonder if the 1.8s will see the same demand the 2.3s do.

Actually, what all six-cylinder engines were available in the Z3?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

CornHolio posted:

I think he said he paid $7200 for a rust-free, 78k miles, 5-speed one a couple of years ago. He put a brand-new top on it, too, so that certainly adds some value.

Surprisingly he went for the 1.8 4-pot over any of the sixes, saying the car is more balanced. I'm sure there's merit to that, but I wonder if the 1.8s will see the same demand the 2.3s do.

2.5, 2.8 and 3.0L sixes were available. 2.8's from 97-98 are the ideal 2.8 because they had aluminum blocks for lower weight, but the 3.0 M54 was also an aluminum block.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

CornHolio posted:

All the ones that were available in an E36 IIRC

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Remember the new roof I was talking about? It just failed inspection, hooray for me!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

leica posted:

Remember the new roof I was talking about? It just failed inspection, hooray for me!

That's the contractor's problem though, not yours... right? (yeah, there's the pain in the rear end of another tear off/install, but ultimately not your problem) :ohdear:

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

rscott posted:

I don't think the 3.0 was available in the E36... so more like the engines (sans V8, shame really :v: ) that were in the E39.

Edit: Actually, does that mean that, since the Z3 is mostly an E36 chassis, and the 3.0 was available, that an older regular E36 could take the 3.0 with minimal issues? Not the usual swap but I'd imagine the price of a used M54 is much lower than a used S52...

...or S54...

...hmm...

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Sep 11, 2014

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

CornHolio posted:

I don't think the 3.0 was available in the E36... so more like the engines (sans V8, shame really :v: ) that were in the E39.

Edit: Actually, does that mean that, since the Z3 is mostly an E36 chassis, and the 3.0 was available, that an older regular E36 could take the 3.0 with minimal issues? Not the usual swap but I'd imagine the price of a used M54 is much lower than a used S52...

...or S54...

...hmm...

One of the major pain points for swapping m54's into e30's is dealing with the ignition theft protection system, which may not swap easily from a 3.0 Z3 to an e36.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

meatpimp posted:

That's the contractor's problem though, not yours... right? (yeah, there's the pain in the rear end of another tear off/install, but ultimately not your problem) :ohdear:

Yeah but it's still a pain and we're irritated about it. We tried to tell the contractor that the pitch wasn't steep enough for shingles, even the workers that installed the roof balked at it, but the owner insisted it would be fine. Inspector failed it in 2.2 seconds.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I'm bored at work.

Can we talk about the 80s and cocaine and Magnum PI?

Am I a terrible person for kind of liking nearly everything on this website? I'm pretty sure I'd daily drive anything on there, not even ironically. I may or may not be listening to some awesome 80s music while doing so.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

BraveUlysses posted:

One of the major pain points for swapping m54's into e30's is dealing with the ignition theft protection system, which may not swap easily from a 3.0 Z3 to an e36.

You just swap over all the electronics from the engine donor and tape the key from the engine donor car to the sensor ring and tuck it somewhere under the dash.

rscott posted:

And all the ones from the E46 as well. The last few model years of Z3s had M54B25s or M54B30s. This also means the last few years of Z3Ms had S54B32s :circlefap:

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

CornHolio posted:

BMW had to make a weird rear end overpriced exclusive somewhat appealing, that's where the Z8 came in. :haw:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

CornHolio posted:

Am I a terrible person for kind of liking nearly everything on this website? I'm pretty sure I'd daily drive anything on there, not even ironically. I may or may not be listening to some awesome 80s music while doing so.

No way. I'd drive the poo poo out of this one:

I think the stereo equipment is the best parts of these interiors.

I mean....LOOK AT THIS:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Motronic posted:

I know why.

Good news and bad news.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

No way all those EQ's are even functional, it's all window dressing :colbert:

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Motronic posted:

I think the stereo equipment is the best parts of these interiors.

I mean....LOOK AT THIS:

:aaa:

"Hold on, miss. I need to pull over and open the door to adjust my awesome 80s hi-fi equalizer."

I don't think there's anything in that image that I don't like. I wouldn't even care if they weren't all hooked up. It's a celebration of everything that is right.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

leica posted:

Yeah but it's still a pain and we're irritated about it. We tried to tell the contractor that the pitch wasn't steep enough for shingles, even the workers that installed the roof balked at it, but the owner insisted it would be fine. Inspector failed it in 2.2 seconds.

Lemme guess, 2 in 12 pitch roof or lower? Owner or contractor is an idiot. Hell, I wouldn't use shingles in less than a 5-6 pitch, but it's legal on 2, at least in some areas... it is absolutely asking for problems in an ice dam prone climate if your roof isn't steep as poo poo.

I guess in Florida it'd be more an issue of driven rain.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

This automatically just became my favorite car interior ever.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

The Midniter posted:

This automatically just became my favorite car interior ever.

It's like the Tron: Legacy aesthetic through the filter of the late 70s auto scene, with a dash of 80s spaceship dashboard thrown in the mix. I love it.

(yes I'm aware OG Tron was very early 80s, it's a completely different look)

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

CornHolio posted:

:aaa:

"Hold on, miss. I need to pull over and open the door to adjust my awesome 80s hi-fi equalizer."

T-tops, son. :hellyeah:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Sweet the wheel bearing noise in the VW went from "eh not bad, should order parts in a few weeks" to "I think my wheel is going to fall off" over the past couple days. I stopped 1/4 of the way home to check the wheel studs and see if I could rock the wheel back and forth or anything. Everything is tight and even jacking the car up there's no play in the wheel. Every time I take a right turn there's a horrible wheel RPM dependent sound and it sounds like wheel bearing to me. Might have to play musical cars tonight, not sure if I want to drive it too much without knowing WTF is going on.

Kind of sad my 928 doesn't have the awesome 80's interior that was offered...

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Whoa whoa whoa. Whoa whoa whoa. BACK THE gently caress UP.

Is that a stylized porcelain falcon's head for a shift knob?

I think I finally found where my real dad went.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Come to think of it, WHY AREN'T THERE MORE OVERHEAD CASSETTE DECKS?

THANKS OBAMA!

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

The nurse I was gonna go out with tonight had to cover someone who called out sick until 11PM. On the bright side I don't need to shave until tomorrow.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Looking at that site, I just realized that gullwings were the "lambo doors" of the 80's.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

keykey posted:

Looking at that site, I just realized that gullwings were the "lambo doors" of the 80's.

No, lambo doors on non-lambos were cheap add-on joke poo poo. Gullwings have always been cool.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

MrChips posted:

Why the gently caress did I post in D&D, what the hell was I thinking?

FWIW you had some good posts in the airplane thread. It's a shame it got derailed by 2 pages worth of :qq: Someone has more money than me, they must be rich :qq: DNDposting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Since we are on a trip through time- whatever happened to trance? We all sobered up, learned that you should respond to coworkers to keep your job, or what?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dQSTtdgRM0

Its not GOA annoying, but hell, I could listen to this poo poo. On my overhead cassette deck.

:smugdog:

• Locked thread