Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

branar posted:

I get that 5E's ruleset writ large isn't for everyone. But seriously, who is the audience for these monsters? Most of the monsters you fight are nearly indistinguishable sacks of HP + damage expression. The rest have bullshit mechanics that pretty much guarantees an un-fun encounter for somebody involved. Are there really people out there who look at the monsters they've been releasing and think that this represents a step forward in monster design?

The grogs I've seen are thrilled with this one, because they love monsters that are "scary" -- by which they mean monsters that can gently caress you over with a bad die roll or two, so you're pretty much forced to do anything you can to avoid fighting them. cf. rust monsters, rot grubs, et al.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD

Super Waffle posted:

What exactly is an Intelligence Contest?
Well you see you roll d20 minus a ton since you have 0 Int, and the NPC has to roll about a 5 on average and you get to start rolling a new character.

I don't know about CR 2, but that could be a fun monster if the recovery weren't so hilariously cruel. If you made the stupid parts not so stupid I could see it as a special mini-boss type where you build it up narratively so the party knows it's around and what it's capable of.

Make it so the 0 int is temporary and the character recovers d6 Int per round back to their normal. After getting to 3 int they can operate at a disadvantage or whatever and are still susceptible to the body thief ability. If you get back to your normal Int then the effect is over and you're fine. He can turn a PC into a vegetable every round so if you don't allow people to start bouncing back quickly from it then this guy is a tiny amount of d20 variance away from handing out a TPK.

Next don't make it a drat contested roll against a bankrupted stat. Come the gently caress on. That's a wisdom/will check if I've ever seen one, for balance and flavor in equal measures. Also the creature would in theory get the snot beat out of it while trying to perform this multi-round maneuver, so there's a chance it can still just be stopped before it can finish.

And lastly if it does eat your brain, give some exits for resolving the encounter and getting that character back on their feet. Now your friend is an enemy as well as the first creature if it's still alive. Kill the creature, beat your friend down to 0 while he is being fully controlled and doing everything to kill your party. Once he's down call the beast dead (because he can't survive if you're unconscious, idk) and put the character through a slightly harsh recovery period to be back to 100%.

I want to rip off this idea and make it not a "lol ur hosed" creature, I guess I got too used to source material usually taking that as a starting point for interesting monsters.

Bhaal fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Sep 11, 2014

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I would enjoy the Intellect Devourer a little more if it became a major problem for wizards once it took over the body of the fighter. I would enjoy it even more than that if the creature literally named for devouring intellect had the statistics to actually go after the mother lodes of intellect (casters).

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Selachian posted:

The grogs I've seen are thrilled with this one, because they love monsters that are "scary" -- by which they mean monsters that can gently caress you over with a bad die roll or two, so you're pretty much forced to do anything you can to avoid fighting them. cf. rust monsters, rot grubs, et al.

It's clearly CR2 because it's pretty easy to kill, but it's also clearly not intended to be used with level 2 parties because you need high level spells to deal with it, and it's a mind flayer's dog.

This loving edition. :ughh:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

So the intellect devourer gets all your memories... is there any reason you can't just keep playing as a fighter with an intellect devourer where his brain should be?

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
It's basically crazy that the intellect devourer is more dangerous to the guy with low intellect than the guy with high intellect. What the hell.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
The 4e version was level 14, dominated people, rode around in them for a while until they saved (45% chance each round at worst) and stunned people with mind blasts.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

PeterWeller posted:

It's clearly CR2 because it's pretty easy to kill, but it's also clearly not intended to be used with level 2 parties because you need high level spells to deal with it, and it's a mind flayer's dog.

This loving edition. :ughh:

You see it's going back to the sane good encounter math of 2e, not this "balanced" foofawraw.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Not really, except of course that the intellect devourer remains a monster and thus it's UTTDM.

(yes, coining a new abbreviation there, deal with it)

Yeah, the Intellect Devourer basically seems to be the epitome of the rocket tag that is this edition. You hit first, you probably kill it. It hits first, it probably kills you. Unless you're a Wizard, in which case you nuke it from range lol.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.
I think the intellect devourer would work as a nice setpiece monster. When the PCs enter the room they finally find the villagers they were sent to look for, staring into the distance morosely. Then suddenly the Big Bad Evil Guy appears from behind the curtain, announces that the PCs will never catch them, and sics their intellect devourer pet on the PCs. However, instead of just going for the Fighter, the intellect devourer starts body-jumping from Commoner to Commoner (because we need to figure out a use for those guys). Even though the Commoners drop like flies to the PCs' attacks (they only have, what, 1d4 hit points or something?) the PCs must still make the most of the turns when the intellect devourer is vulnerable, and maybe find a way to prevent it from body-hopping into another Commoner.

The problem is, as presented it's still a huge "gently caress you Fighters" monster. Having said that, I kind of want to run the above encounter in Dungeon World, which has rules to support exactly that kind of action. (using Defend to prevent the intellect devourer from getting at the commoners, and using 7-9 rolls to give players hard choices like "Okay, you can totally save that commoner, but it's going to draw the intellect devourer's ire.")

e:

moths posted:

So the intellect devourer gets all your memories... is there any reason you can't just keep playing as a fighter with an intellect devourer where his brain should be?
This is just great story material. I'm not saying this in defense of 5e (because holy poo poo that is a terrible monster to throw at people) but if it actually came with a hook like "Because the intellect devourer retains all the memories of its victims, sometimes an intellect devourer that gets greedy will find themselves with a strange foreign gestalt intellect growing inside their very own brain. Sometimes this gestalt intellect actually manages to take control." it'd be kind of cool.

As the group watches in horror as Bob the Fighter gets his brain eaten by the intellect devourer and their former comrade's body turns on them, Bob suddenly stops dead in his tracks. Meanwhile, inside the intellect devourer's consciousness a full-scale war is raging, as Bob has rallied the minds of all the other Fighters who were unlucky enough to lead the charge against the intellect devourer in the past in a psychic assault on the intellect devourer. As Bob's body suddenly stirs to life again, he speaks with the voice of a thousand wronged Fighters, declares martial supremacy and goes on a quest to destroy all casters.

I may have lost my train of thought there.

Ratpick fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Sep 11, 2014

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
"Magic weapons are totally optional," say the D&D Next team before publishing a CR2 monster with resistance to non-magical weapons capable of instantly killing PCs and driving them around like a car.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

On the plus side, all those dead fighters can reroll as wizards.

Bassetking
Feb 20, 2008

And it is, it is a glorious thing, to be a Basset King!

Cerepol posted:

Opposed intelligence rolls.

On one hand that's terrible on the other hand. I wanna play one real bad.

Edit: I didn't refresh
Second part is in reference to Int devourer

Actually, yeah, playing an Int Devourer who is just puppeteering some poor bastard around would be a pretty fantastic character to play.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Rosalind posted:

On the plus side, all those dead fighters can reroll as wizards.

On the plus side, all those dead fighters can reroll as necromancers raising their own previous characters' skeletons.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The Intellect Devourer might seem like yet another "gently caress you fighters" at first, but it's actually the best support fighters will ever get: a tacit approval of houserules for multiple fighter archetypes. All you have to do is roll three different fighters, get them all brainscarfed by the same Devourer, and bam--all three archetypes in the same character!

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Ferrinus posted:

It's basically crazy that the intellect devourer is more dangerous to the guy with low intellect than the guy with high intellect. What the hell.

Literally nothing is ever more dangerous to a wizard. The more a monster seems built to hunt wizards, the more it inevitably becomes anti-fighter bullshit.

Golems became the same thing!

It always comes down to "verisimiitude" being interpreted coincidentally in the way that best favors wizards, every time. Intellect Devourer? Clearly it targets intellect! Oh, that means what should be it's biggest target, the wizard, is also strongest against it? Naw, coincidence. Wizards use golems explicitly to protect their houses from other wizards? Well....it's just a big dumb block of stone, so it auto-fails all these spells! Now it's also big and strong, so it does permanent wounds to melee characters. Hahaha, that's just the way the realism goes, I guess!

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

If we are talking about better intellect devourers then here are the relevant parts from the 13th age intellect devourer (bolding mine). Otherwise it's just a standard monster with some (pretty cool) themed abilities.

13th Age Bestiary Intellect Devourer posted:

When a PC has dropped to 0 hit points or lower and is making death saves, the player can choose to have the character’s brain eaten by the intellect devourer . Mechanically, this choice is identical to rolling a natural 20 on a death save. The PC can spend a recovery and begin taking actions again as normal. During the next quick rest, the player chooses three background points to keep and removes all others. The GM will then replace those background points with new backgrounds. Some possibilities are included below.

The PC is no longer who they were before exactly. Acquiescing to the process, and being a rather tough hero, makes this devourer/victim relationship unlike the devourer’s usual body-snatchings, especially in the sense that the creature maintains access to the character’s full range of powers.

The devourer, being intelligent and a master of infiltration, probably wants to pass as being the character until some goal is achieved, so it makes sense for the player to continue to play the character as they were before. On the other hand, the character is not only a halfling rogue but also a drow queen, a criminal half-elven wizard, and a few dozen or hundred other minor personas. It’s going to start showing in how the character approaches the world through their skill rolls.

Examples of new devourer background
selections follow:
• +1 101 Past Lives, +2 Queen Maraila of the
Spiderwood, +2 Renegade Wizard
• +1 Oh Gods! The Voices!, +2 Emperor’s Bodyguard,
+2 Dwarven Brewmaster
• +1 Random Trivia, +2 Escaped From Omen, +2
Servant of the Red

Andrast fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Sep 11, 2014

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo
Know what's weird? Body Thief says the monster gains all the knowledge of the victim, including spells... but it doesn't really ever say that it loses this knowledge if it leaves the body.

And why should it? It ate the brain, which houses the knowledge. It's not like the brainless body by itself knows all this poo poo. So I guess there's Intellect Devourers that also happen to be level 20 in every class, having slowly worked their way up the food chain. Not that the rules take this into account or anything with a random "this is the poo poo it knows" table or anything.

Or look at it from another angle: knowing spells implies that the ID can cast them. But how does that make sense? Do gods only grant spells to the bodies of their clerics, even if someone else entirely is driving around the car? What about warlock familiars or ranger pets? Do they still obey?

I think there is room for an "up to the DM" philosophy, particularly when it comes to corner cases. But this stuff is so weird that I wouldn't know how to handle it. The ability is two paragraphs but still so vague that I can't figure it out. Is knowledge of warlock spells enough to cast them? Even though the Devourer never made a pact? If the answer is no, then the Devourer's ability lies. If the answer is yes, then nobody ever needs to make a warlock pact anymore because knowledge can be taught and imparted on others, as the patron's permission is irrelevant.

Come the gently caress on, if you want to have it all be "up to the DM" at least provide enough of a framework for me to make informed decisions. This isn't empowering me to do my job, it's forcing me to do yours.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
That would actually make a great slightly-meta Big Bad for a campaign. An ancient Intellect Devourer who has consumed dozens of powerful adventurers, obtaining their knowledge and skills over the centuries. It's why the villain performs highly visible evil acts: to draw out new adventurers to devour. The Devourer would then goad them into gaining in strength at the rapid pace that heroes tend to do, until they're worth eating.
So the villain still performs simplistic evil actions, threatens the heroes enough to motivate them but doesn't just massacre them all while it still has a 15 level advantage, and provides steadily increasing challenges. The only difference is this time it actually makes sense! The Intellect Devourer just accidentally explained one of the oldest gaming cliches!

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Kaza42 posted:

That would actually make a great slightly-meta Big Bad for a campaign. An ancient Intellect Devourer who has consumed dozens of powerful adventurers, obtaining their knowledge and skills over the centuries. It's why the villain performs highly visible evil acts: to draw out new adventurers to devour. The Devourer would then goad them into gaining in strength at the rapid pace that heroes tend to do, until they're worth eating.
So the villain still performs simplistic evil actions, threatens the heroes enough to motivate them but doesn't just massacre them all while it still has a 15 level advantage, and provides steadily increasing challenges. The only difference is this time it actually makes sense! The Intellect Devourer just accidentally explained one of the oldest gaming cliches!
Oh my god, bookmarked.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Kaza42 posted:

I like it, but isn't that what the original Tomb of Horrors was about as well?

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Kaza42 posted:

I am so using this sometime.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Sage Genesis posted:

I like it, but isn't that what the original Tomb of Horrors was about as well?

If "performing highly visible evil acts to attract many high-level characters to devour" is the same as "having one's earthly remains secretly interred in a well-hidden deathtrap tomb so deadly and confusing that almost nobody will make it to you to be devoured", then yes.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I don't think much of 13th Age but goddamn is that a really cool way to handle a monster like this.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

homullus posted:

On the plus side, all those dead fighters can reroll as necromancers raising their own previous characters' skeletons.

Are there any RAW limitations on the re-rolling of new characters, or anything on suicide? Otherwise you just need a high enough cliff to render all "how will the Necromancer find enough skeletons" complaints null and void.

(If the drowning rules actually work in this edition a barrel of water would probably be better, though. Less risk of scattering the merchandise.)

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Kaza42 posted:

Hello Dungeon World hook!

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ProfessorCirno posted:

Literally nothing is ever more dangerous to a wizard. The more a monster seems built to hunt wizards, the more it inevitably becomes anti-fighter bullshit.

Golems became the same thing!

It always comes down to "verisimiitude" being interpreted coincidentally in the way that best favors wizards, every time. Intellect Devourer? Clearly it targets intellect! Oh, that means what should be it's biggest target, the wizard, is also strongest against it? Naw, coincidence. Wizards use golems explicitly to protect their houses from other wizards? Well....it's just a big dumb block of stone, so it auto-fails all these spells! Now it's also big and strong, so it does permanent wounds to melee characters. Hahaha, that's just the way the realism goes, I guess!

Rakshasa's Immune to all Wizards spells below 7th level.

Also Clay Golems unlike Stone Golems are immune to enough stuff that taking them down with spells is pretty hard.

Kai Tave posted:

"Magic weapons are totally optional," say the D&D Next team before publishing a CR2 monster with resistance to non-magical weapons capable of instantly killing PCs and driving them around like a car.

You don't need Magic weapons to kill it. It just takes half damage. Also it is not capable of instantly killing PC's and driving them around. It is capable a round later, after the target gets two chances to avoid being rendered Brain dead, of taking over a brain dead person's body.

Also I don't get why so many of you have issues with monsters actually being deadly.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Sep 11, 2014

Strength of Many
Jan 13, 2012

The butthurt is the life... and it shall be mine.
Has there been a leak for Iron Golems?

MonsterEnvy posted:

Also Clay Golems unlike Stone Golems are immune to enough stuff that taking them down with spells is pretty hard.

You don't need Magic weapons to kill it. It just takes half damage. Also it is not capable of instantly killing PC's and driving them around. It is capable a round later, after the target gets two chances to avoid being rendered Brain dead, of taking over a brain dead person's body.

Also I don't get why so many of you have issues with monsters actually being deadly.

You can be deadly without completely removing a player's ability to do anything because of RNG. And again, the Intellect Devourer exists sole to gently caress over martials, despite it reading like it should go munch on the Wizard.

Me personally on the topic? The rest I don't care about as much, they're mostly boring. I have gripes about the Succubus' CR and ability to bust your balls when it comes to HP/stat tracking, which is almost as annoying to track and account for as level drain in previous editions.

Strength of Many fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Sep 11, 2014

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

MonsterEnvy posted:

Does it still die instantly to a crossbow bolt with Bless cast on it?

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
The thing is "this monster kills you in one roll if it rolls high" isn't scary. It's shocking. There's no tension. And it leads to not giving a poo poo about your character because they'll just die in one roll anyways.

Scary was 4e monsters where they put you in some sort of status and every failed roll makes it worse, leading to your inevitable death. Not "you are hit, roll until you succeed," but "every failure makes it worse."

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Are we still treating MonsterEnvy like he isn't a gimmick poster while we patiently wait for this thread to become exactly like the Imp Zone thread?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Really Pants posted:

Does it still die instantly to a crossbow bolt with Bless cast on it?
What, really? I want to see this.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Nihilarian posted:

What, really? I want to see this.

It's a weakness derived from the myth where a Rakshasa was killed instantly through a godly bolt from a crossbow.

Wikipedia posted:

...Kumbhakarna grabbed him and started to drag him off. It was at that point that Rama and his brother Lakshmana used arrows and a secret Brahmastra ("Brahma's weapon") to kill Kumbhakarna, dropping the Rakshasa like a huge tree cleft in twain by a thunderbolt. (Ramayana, Book III: Vana Parva, Section 285.)

This is the case in the NWN game where blessed bolts kill any rakshasa instantly.
Not too sure if it is specified in any D&D MM.

But to be fair the weapon was blessed by Brahma himself, the Deva of creation.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Sep 11, 2014

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
It was in the 2nd edition MM.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

It was in the 2nd edition MM.

It's old, and also a stupid way to completely negate the Rakshasa's supposed strength against casters, so I figured even money it'd make it into 5e.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
As an Indian with a passing memory of Indian myth, I have to point out that the Divine Arrows, like much magic in myth, were rare, mystical, and powerful gifts given for piety, dedication, or goodness. At their most cavalier, they are the equivalent of the silver bullet you only use to destroy powerful monsters.

So naturally, in D&D, a wizard can just crap one out.

Strength of Many
Jan 13, 2012

Caphi posted:

As an Indian with a passing memory of Indian myth, I have to point out that the Divine Arrows, like much magic in myth, were rare, mystical, and powerful gifts given for piety, dedication, or goodness. At their most cavalier, they are the equivalent of the silver bullet you only use to destroy powerful monsters.

So naturally, in D&D, a wizard can just crap one out.

Who would be more mythical, dedicated and godly goodly than a Wizard? :smaug:

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Also like in most myth, you didn't just go around with a wizard. You met wizards, or more often magical creatures, and sometimes they helped you or gave you magical things.

Burn wizards, basically.

Strength of Many
Jan 13, 2012

Caphi posted:

Also like in most myth, you didn't just go around with a wizard. You met wizards, or more often magical creatures, and sometimes they helped you or gave you magical things.

Burn wizards, basically.

Removal would be good, turn them into enemies/aloof ally NPCs for the players.

I think Wizards being player characters is also an issue of creator and player mentality. No one wants to be the Gandalf or Merlin anymore, supporting the actual heroes from behind the scenes and almost never directly save when it is absolutely required. Even the hated Elminster spent a lot of his non-book time just setting things up for adventurers to tackle the issues rather than intervene himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Kaza42 posted:

That would actually make a great slightly-meta Big Bad for a campaign.

You would, however, want to avoid a situation where the players spend 99% of the campaign thinking that the villain is a boring cliche and only find out that it was secretly interesting at the very end. It would work, though, if the PCs know what was up, are in on the secret that this is what the bad guy had done before and is trying to do to them now. Let them have the fun of acting out being cliched heroes in order to receive the benefit of a supervillain training them, simultaneously plotting how to actually take it down once they're powerful enough, limiting the damage he does in setting up paper challenges for them to defeat, and hiding that they know it doesn't actually want to kill them.

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Sep 11, 2014