Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
I'm digging the goblins and orcs, but the vehicles are just slightly orkified WW2 model kits that you could do yourself for less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

A lot of the half track looking vehicles I've been finding online aren't at a great scale for orks, though. If you know of a good trukk substitute, i'd love to hear what you have to recommend! I'm in the market for a third.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Slimnoid posted:

I'm digging the goblins and orcs, but the vehicles are just slightly orkified WW2 model kits that you could do yourself for less.

Yeah, the half-track looks half-assed, and the Sherman looks more like something out of Metal Slug.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Problem is 40k is 28mm ie 1/58 scale, whereas the most common hobby kit armour scale is 1/35, followed by 1/72 and then 1/48

Though, thanks to Bolt Action some 28mm WW2 tank lines are coming out from Italeri in partnership with Warlord.

Ignite Memories posted:

A lot of the half track looking vehicles I've been finding online aren't at a great scale for orks, though. If you know of a good trukk substitute, i'd love to hear what you have to recommend! I'm in the market for a third.

AFV Club and Tamiya both make a 1/48 Sdkfz 251 halftrack model, Airfix makes a Supacat Jackal and Coyote, Tamiya makes an M8, M20 and a Russian 1.5T cargo truck

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Vehicles being a bit offscale are a problem for Guard or whatever. It's absolutely fine for Orks.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

PeterWeller posted:

Yeah, the half-track looks half-assed,

Ohhhhhhhh!

PeterWeller laying down the burns!

Hooooowaaaah!!!

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

NTRabbit posted:

Problem is 40k is 28mm ie 1/58 scale, whereas the most common hobby kit armour scale is 1/35, followed by 1/72 and then 1/48

Though, thanks to Bolt Action some 28mm WW2 tank lines are coming out from Italeri in partnership with Warlord.

AFV Club and Tamiya both make a 1/48 Sdkfz 251 halftrack model, Airfix makes a Supacat Jackal and Coyote, Tamiya makes an M8, M20 and a Russian 1.5T cargo truck

I have noticed there is a market for 1/56 scale vehicles that's been growing slowly lately online. Waiting on a 1/56 scale Crusader tank from Blitzkrieg myself partly to see if that works as a decent count as Leman Russ. Although I'm starting to wonder if it hasn't been lost somewhere or something as it has yet to arrive and it's been close to a month since I ordered it.
Haven't found much modern equipment yet and only really WW2, even if there was one place that Strykers in that scale that I'd love to use as Chimeras but they went for 55 bucks a pop which really wasn't worth it.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

On that note, suggestions for vehicles to convert into Battlewagons? I'm still looking for an appropriately sized firetruck model for a wagon or trukk, and I'd like some other variety in my ork vehicles!

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Esser-Z posted:

On that note, suggestions for vehicles to convert into Battlewagons? I'm still looking for an appropriately sized firetruck model for a wagon or trukk, and I'd like some other variety in my ork vehicles!

A rear turreted tank with a crab flail on the front might work, something like a VK45.02(hinter) or maybe a Merkava, or there's a Cyber Hobby kit of an M6 heavy tank that you could drive backwards. You'd have to gt the flail separately though.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

A rear turreted tank with a crab flail on the front might work, something like a VK45.02(hinter) or maybe a Merkava, or there's a Cyber Hobby kit of an M6 heavy tank that you could drive backwards. You'd have to gt the flail separately though.

Well, in my current list my wagons are much more 'get meganobz in place' than tanks, so I'm not too concerned about having a turret and what not. Hmmm. Maybe see if I can build a trailer or extension for an appropriately scaled semi cab. Probably aren't any HUGE HALFTRACKS that already exist...

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Esser-Z posted:

Well, in my current list my wagons are much more 'get meganobz in place' than tanks, so I'm not too concerned about having a turret and what not. Hmmm. Maybe see if I can build a trailer or extension for an appropriately scaled semi cab. Probably aren't any HUGE HALFTRACKS that already exist...

If you just want a funky troop carrier you could try a Kangaroo carrier, take any American or British tank or SPG of the era and build it without the turret, the fighting compartment becomes an open top troop compartment. Priest, Sherman, Ram, Churchill, etc

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

If you just want a funky troop carrier you could try a Kangaroo carrier, take any American or British tank or SPG of the era and build it without the turret, the fighting compartment becomes an open top troop compartment. Priest, Sherman, Ram, Churchill, etc
Hmm. That could work indeed! Thanks!

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007
*Reads the new Assassin rules. Glances at Grey Knights I've been assembling*

Please don't let my friends stumble upon the Calexus assassin....

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW
ok if i declare all my models to be hq's what is the cheapest and lowest amount of models i can buy to hit 1k points. the easier to paint the better.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar
Hey everyone, selling some Eldar and Space Marine stuff over at the SA Mart here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3664230

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

TOILETLORD posted:

ok if i declare all my models to be hq's what is the cheapest and lowest amount of models i can buy to hit 1k points. the easier to paint the better.
I mean, you could put together a 1000 point list with like 6 Space Marine chapter masters if you really felt like it. It'd be stupid and terrible and lose every single game but you could do it.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Slimnoid posted:

The original ork trakk from gorkamorka is worse though, and I could be wrong but I think it's in production still?

Squifferific
Oct 17, 2004
Proud user of machines that go "Ping!"

TOILETLORD posted:

Not quite all HQs, but Grey Knights Grand Master, Librarian, 2 squads of Terminators and a Landraider is actually Combined Arms and only has 12 models and a tank. Add a can of Army Painter silver spray primer, and it would be most of the way painted too.

You might even win a game, if you get lucky.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

NTRabbit posted:

I know Warlord sells those for Bolt Action. No idea about how worth it is in terms of cost compared to buying some other kit though.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW
i want to spend no more than 25$ on models total. figure i'll build a poo poo army if i don't hate current hams add to it piece meal.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Cooked Auto posted:

I know Warlord sells those for Bolt Action. No idea about how worth it is in terms of cost compared to buying some other kit though.

For an Ork conversion you don't need the highly detailed stuff from China, you can easily get by with older stuff from Italeri, or cheap stuff from Zvezda and Airfix that should be around $25 in Americabux. For the smaller WW2 vehicles 1/35 scale works out ok, it's just when you want German and Soviet heavy tanks that they get too large.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Thanks to IRC, I am now determined to do an Ork Skool Bus.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW
can i just buy a box of ork boys and glue bits on them say they are warbosses?

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Warbosses are like twice the size of boyz.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
You can do whatever you want if you find someone to play with, but perhaps this isn't the hobby for you if you're averse to spending money.

Squifferific
Oct 17, 2004
Proud user of machines that go "Ping!"

TOILETLORD posted:

i want to spend no more than 25$ on models total. figure i'll build a poo poo army if i don't hate current hams add to it piece meal.

Oh...Well, your next best bet would be to buy dollar store plastic army dudes and maybe a toy dinosaur or something and just make stuff up. Or borrow actual stuff from someone?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Take those $25, buy $25 worth of Milano cookies, and use them as a Space Marine biker army since the bases are roughly the same size. When one dies, eat it.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Yeaaaaaah, Warhammer is crazy expensive. I'm willing to pay the cost, but... It's high.

Still need a lot more Meganobz, my wagons, and more buggies (using Mantic Raptors, so they're not TOO expesive) to complete my 2k ork list. And of course PAINT everything. I'm lagging behind a lot on that.

And that's not counting all my spare nobz or my killa kanz or my deff dread or projects like the Firefightas that aren't going in my main list (but might go in an alternate list).

AND I need a bunch of Tau stuff for THAT list.

This hobby is bad for your financial wellbeing.

Takkaryx
Oct 17, 2007

Bunnies (very useful) Scientific Facts: Bunnies never close doors
I would ask to borrow people's armies for a round and see if you like the game at all. $25 won't be enough to get you the glue, paint, knives and clippers to even work on the minis, let alone buy them. If you want to play mini games, Malifaux or Infinity might be more in your price range, but you're still looking at a few hundred dollars worth of supplies and minis to start, regardless of the game you're playing.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

AND I've bought some Marine stuff, though that's just some models I like a lot, not a plan for a full army.

Bloody hell.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar
If you're looking for a low cost entry point into the game, Deathwing is great because there are 2 separate 5 man termie squads that came in 2 different starters that you can easily buy on ebay for 15-20 for a 5 man squad. $100 will basically get you all the terminators you need along with their best available weapon (assault cannon) and enough guys with swords that you can pretend one is your leader.

Edit: Also see my previous post, I am literally selling a Deathwing army right now that comes with 3 leader figures!

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Esser-Z posted:

1:35 scale Sturmtiger kits are popular to convert. I might even have one spare that I could sell you if you'd like.

Check this page for inspiration
http://www.the-waaagh.com/battlewagon-faq/bw3.html

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Indolent Bastard posted:

1:35 scale Sturmtiger kits are popular to convert. I might even have one spare that I could sell you if you'd like.

Check this page for inspiration
http://www.the-waaagh.com/battlewagon-faq/bw3.html

Ooooo. That'd work very well. Toss me an email at esser.zed at gmail if you do have one spare!

I only technically NEED three wagons for my list, but I am probably gonna do more than that. Gotta have orks!

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Esser-Z posted:

Ooooo. That'd work very well. Toss me an email at esser.zed at gmail if you do have one spare!

I only technically NEED three wagons for my list, but I am probably gonna do more than that. Gotta have orks!

I'll double check when I get home and send an email.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Indolent Bastard posted:

I'll double check when I get home and send an email.

Sounds good!

That brings my list of potential converted Wagons to: Firetrukk (which might be trukk sized? Depends on the toy/model I use), semi truck cab with some sort of custom trailer or something (maybe halftrack a la Transformers Armada Optimus Prime), Skool Buss, and Sturmtiger. A good plan.

I also ended up with a free (!) Space Wolves Venerable Dreadnought heading my way. all the space dog bits make it not fit in with my other marine stuff, so I'm planning to take some spare Deff Dread parts and make it orkier.

Esser-Z fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Sep 11, 2014

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Esser-Z posted:

Sounds good!

That brings my list of potential converted Wagons to: Firetrukk (which might be trukk sized? Depends on the toy/model I use), semi truck cab with some sort of custom trailer or something (maybe halftrack a la Transformers Armada Optimus Prime), Skool Buss, and Sturmtiger. A good plan.

I also ended up with a free (!) Space Wolves Venerable Dreadnought heading my way. all the space dog bits make it not fit in with my other marine stuff, so I'm planning to take some spare Deff Dread parts and make it orkier.

What's the occasion for the free Dreadnought? I just had a guy send me the wrong Rhino on eBay and he's sending me an old school one to make up for it and I get to keep the new one, so I've got some free hams too :hfive:

Also I got the Armorcast Whirlwind turret today - on the front it says "GW 1992" in big letters, which is great because if it weren't for that the enemies of mankind wouldn't know they were being destroyed by a true blue officially licensed product.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

SRM posted:

Also I got the Armorcast Whirlwind turret today - on the front it says "GW 1992" in big letters, which is great because if it weren't for that the enemies of mankind wouldn't know they were being destroyed by a true blue officially licensed product.

And you know it's not a recast, because those are English characters and not Chinese or Cyrilic :eng101:

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
How viable are a Space Marine Strikeforce, a Razorback/Rhino, and a Space Marine Tactical Squad as a full army? Also have the new Dark Vengeance set, but Dark Angels don't appeal to me too much. Mostly bought it for the mini rulebook and the Chaos stuff.

Also has anyone ever made articulated miniatures?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Curious... Would you trade your dark angels for my chaos ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

An Angry Bug posted:

How viable are a Space Marine Strikeforce, a Razorback/Rhino, and a Space Marine Tactical Squad as a full army? Also have the new Dark Vengeance set, but Dark Angels don't appeal to me too much. Mostly bought it for the mini rulebook and the Chaos stuff.

Also has anyone ever made articulated miniatures?

That would honestly be a really great start to an army, although probably not one of the cutthroat super competitive ones. Tactical squads in Rhinos are still a solid unit, Sniper Scouts are a great objective holder, and if one of those Tactical squads comes in via drop pod that'll be surprising. Alternately, you could convert one tac squad to a Sternguard squad (the Sternguard kit has enough baubles to make 10 dudes look pretty legit) and put them in the drop pod. Even in friendly games, however, I'm yet to make command squads really work for me. I love their look and the idea of them, but 5 power armored dudes seldom does much. You can arm them all with special weapons though, and 4 plasma guns plus an apothecary could actually be a pretty handy unit. Worst case scenario, the command squad comes with some great bits to convert some really badass Marines. The captain included is also a neat model, but some folks aren't big fans. I've been using Captain Sicarius in almost every game with my Ultras, and unfortunately he just gets doubled out every time. Captains are reasonably cheap combat characters though, and if you can give him a storm shield somehow he'll be fairly hardy. Assault Marines are a pretty meh unit overall, but 5 dudes zipping around the backfield as a counter charge unit might work, or deep striking in with a flamer and wreaking a little havoc. Finally, you have the Venerable Dreadnought. Walkers aren't great, unfortunately. However, I really like Dreadnoughts and think they're neat. Venerable isn't quite as valuable an upgrade as it used to be since Explodes results are rarer on the damage table, but even if you just run him as a regular Dreadnought at least he'll look cool.
TL;DR: It's a good plan if you want to build a diverse, good looking force, but not exactly a super focused or super competitive one.

• Locked thread