Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Proper tombstoning should happen, you are running into some nasty bugs, which are unfortunately not entirely uncommon (especially keeping your place in audio; the audio backgrounding setup is very janky, so developers are hard-pressed to get it right, but some apps work a lot better than others).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.

SMERSH Mouth posted:

God I love playing with the tiles. So many options for spatial ordering when you've got 3 different icon sizes and a scrolling one-page app screen.

And as for the low-end processor and RAM on the low-end WP devices, my 635 (Snapdragon 400, 512MB) is... not impressing me. I knew it was going to be worse than my iPhone 5, but I thought it would at least be better than my iPhone 4. Even though the 635's processor probably beats the A4 in benchmarks and has the same amount of RAM as the old iPhone, it's markedly slower in real life use.

Someone kind of challenged me when I noted before that the animation seemed a little choppy at times, so I've been watching for it and it definitely is there, especially when resuming an app or going back to the home screen. But what really bothers me is how it never seems to save the state of an app if I go out of it for more than a couple of minutes. Halfway through a podcast and I need to check my email and get the weather forecast? When I go back to podcasts, it has to re-initialize and my place won't be saved, so I have to use the tiny timeline to scrub back to (approximately) where I left off. In the middle of composing an email and I want to listen to a podcast for a while? When I get back to the email app, my draft is gone. It's like that with the browser, games, everything, it seems like. And apps just crash too, often enough for it to be annoying. I've also had two total lock-ups this week. Had to pull the battery both times to get the device to turn off; it wouldn't respond to the physical buttons at all.

The iPhone always kept my poo poo ready for me when I came back to it. I guess it's the OS software that makes the difference, though, because 512MB and a 1GHz single-core processor on the iPhone seemed to be just fine.

Otherwise, it's a really decent phone. But there are some definite drawbacks.

Out of curiosity, are you holding down the back arrow to switch back to apps? WP8.1 actually gives you different methods to multitask, including having multiple iterations of the same apps open simultaneously. Like two different emails, messages, etc. It's very handy in certain circumstances, like composing emails while referencing data in other emails.

OldPueblo fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Sep 10, 2014

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Not sure what this is supposed to mean.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
This morning my lumia 920 cyan decided not to use the speaker for my alarm, vibration only. Volume was 8/10 and 14/30 for apps.

A restart fixed it.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

Soon you'll be rearranging tiles for aesthetic and not practical reasons and searching for the perfect start screen background. :unsmigghh:

I started doing this 5 hours after getting my 925. I had to switch to my Galaxy S4 today and now I feel weird with it, and I've only used my WP for like 4 days :stare:

Edit: this is my start screen background right now:

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Sep 10, 2014

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Is there no simple phone book on these phones? Do I need to gently caress with people menus and google or outlook accounts just to add a phone number?

Ev
Aug 3, 2006

vigorous sodomy posted:

Is there no simple phone book on these phones? Do I need to gently caress with people menus and google or outlook accounts just to add a phone number?

If you type the phone number in you can save it from the dialer. Is that kinda what you're looking for?

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Guillermus posted:

Edit: this is my start screen background right now:

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

vigorous sodomy posted:

There's no local contacts, everything belongs to some sort of cloud account under the people hub.

Microsoft has a decent set of resources online:

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/how-to/wp8

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Man that's really obnoxious.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

vigorous sodomy posted:

Man that's really obnoxious.

Because your contacts are all in an easily editable place and if your phone or SIM card dies, your contacts are all still safe (no more Facebook "everyone text me your number, my phone died" posts)?

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.
Not to mention the fact that you can manipulate and add to the address book from a PC or tablet much easier than pecking on the phone. Including merging duplicates, etc.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Yeah it took me a second to realize that People was my contact list, but its really pretty nice. Just need to take a minute to make sure everything is matched up. Too bad they made facebook messenger a separate app or whatever; it would be nice if I could use the service through People since a bunch of my contacts are still in iMessage withdrawal mode and I'm missing a lot of messages.

And speaking of bugs, today I got to enjoy having all media playback fail until reboot. Maybe I should try the WP equivalent of setting up the iPhone as new in iTunes, because this is getting s little ridiculous.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
iMessage and stable apps are the two things I miss from iOS.

The forum app is particularly frustrating for force-closing. Certain threads at random will crash it out.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

The forum app is particularly frustrating for force-closing. Certain threads at random will crash it out.

Which ones?

If you tell me, I can load them up, see what's causing them to crash, and patch it up :).

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I got a treasure tag on sale a week ago and it's pretty cool. Hasn't really impacted my battery life so far and it's nice knowing I'll be able to find my keys. :v:

Edit: The page before this one likes to crash in your awful app

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Drastic Actions posted:

Which ones?

If you tell me, I can load them up, see what's causing them to crash, and patch it up :).

I often get a crash while auto loading the bookmarks at startup, but then next startup will be fine

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

Edit: The page before this one likes to crash in your awful app

:shrug:

It loaded for me. I've been using my iPhone as my daily driver, so I don't see bugs like this.

quote:

I often get a crash while auto loading the bookmarks at startup, but then next startup will be fine

That's a 404 error when loading the bookmarks page. I have zero idea why it happens only some of the time. My app, quite frankly, sucks at handling 404s (in that, 90% of the time I don't handle them), so it crashes.

From what I can tell when I debugged it awhile back, I can only get it to happen somewhat consistently when on 3g/LTE, and only on startup. I can handle the 404 better (by just telling you it errors rather than crashing) but I don't know why it's 404ing at all.

Drastic Actions fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Sep 11, 2014

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
You should probably specify which forum app you're using.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

1020 here with zero crashes. Since the update, tho, the unread count on bookmarked threads no longer adjusts when I return to bookmarks, forcing me to hit refresh. Other than that, great and getting better.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

The Lord Bude posted:

You should probably specify which forum app you're using.

Oh that's true. I just assume it's mine at this point. If it's "Awful.", then I don't know as I never use that. But Mecca-Benghazi is using my app, and I have seen in crash in threads before, but never while I'm debugging or wanting to have it happen. If you see the thread and THEN in crashes, then it's probably a Javascript error. But in order to fix it, I need to see what it is and have it happen consistently. I can just consume all of those, since it should not affect seeing the thread, but that's just lame.

Then again, it's an Awful Forum Reader, so :shrug:.

EDIT: I'll work on it this weekend and try and add proper error handling to the app. I'll try and pull what Awful. does and let you know of the error and (maybe) give you some way of letting me know. I feel bad, because I don't really use Windows Phone full time anymore, and there are no other developers here working on it besides myself. I at least want it to be stable, especially when it affects other people besides myself.

soapgish posted:

1020 here with zero crashes. Since the update, tho, the unread count on bookmarked threads no longer adjusts when I return to bookmarks, forcing me to hit refresh. Other than that, great and getting better.

If you turn on "Auto-Refresh Bookmarks" in the options menu, it should update that counter.

Drastic Actions fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Sep 11, 2014

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Drastic Actions posted:

If you turn on "Auto-Refresh Bookmarks" in the options menu, it should update that counter.

It was on. And I've tried off-on, restarting, all that.

ljw1004
Jan 18, 2005

rum

Drastic Actions posted:

Please don't ask that of users! You should catch the exception yourself and invite the user to send a crash report. I normally do this by having an exception-handler, in each of my top-level methods and event-handlers that are invoked by the system. I wrote some stuff about catching exceptions and reporting them to the user:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/lucian/archive/2014/08/09/mr-flakey-helps-you-write-more-robust-async-code.aspx
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/lucian/archive/2014/08/25/exception-stacktraceex-better-exception-stacktrace-for-async-code.aspx

And also on this page, the section "Telemetry and debugging"
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/vbteam/archive/2014/06/15/vb-universal-app-part-3-for-the-end-user-roaming-settings-and-in-app-purchases.aspx

You should also consider using App Insights with your app. That will tell you other things like how many people are using it and how much. You can choose what other things to instrument.

PS. I find your app crashing about 50% on startup, and then about 30% of my forum-reading sessions end because the app crashes. Also whenever the forums are down it crashes on startup. You mentioned earlier that it often relates to 404 or other network exceptions, in which case you should definitely try my "Mr Flakey" approach or similar.

ljw1004 fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Sep 11, 2014

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

iMessage and stable apps are the two things I miss from iOS.

If it helps, I've found the forums to be perfectly readable in the built-in browser...

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

ljw1004 posted:

Please don't ask that of users!

You're 100% right, I should not. It's because I'm lazy and did not set up much error handling. The web manager does have a try/catch when all web requests are called, but the catch is a bit todo saying "Do something with this in the future", and then continues on its merry way. Which then leads to null forum objects, which blows everything up. I know what's going on, but I'm not handling it in any way. So this weekend I'll see if I can actually spend some time and set up a proper error manager and do it right. Now, my newer programs do have some from of error management (in that, toast notifications are sent when errors occur, but it does not offer to send the reports to me), but still that's not enough really.

This is, again, what happens when you bail on the platform and don't use your app enough :shrug:.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Got to say, the only time I've ever had drastic's app crash was when the forum was down.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

SMERSH Mouth posted:

And speaking of bugs, today I got to enjoy having all media playback fail until reboot. Maybe I should try the WP equivalent of setting up the iPhone as new in iTunes, because this is getting s little ridiculous.
The behaviour you're seeing is a little odd, really. I can relate to seeing "Resuming..." far more than I'd like (it's odd how it's always with certain apps but not with others, no surprise Xbox Music is one of the worst offenders) but constant crashing and jerky animation is certainly not my experience, not on my 520 either. Flixter has always been a little unstable, but that's about it. It's possible there could be something up with your phone.

Bear in mind I'm running dev preview 8.1 update 1, did that first thing when I got my 635.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Drastic Actions posted:

This is, again, what happens when you bail on the platform and don't use your app enough :shrug:.

There's no excuse to bail when it runs on Windows 8 as well ;)

Pretty so-so success/failure rate, but try tossing it on bitbucket or such, simpler stuff like doing a retry on loading bookmarks is something it is not that unlikely you can get a hand with.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I'm using Drastic's app (awful) and most of the user names are "awful poster" instead of the proper ones. I have to recognize users by avatars :(

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Guillermus posted:

I'm using Drastic's app (awful) and most of the user names are "awful poster" instead of the proper ones. I have to recognize users by avatars :(

That's Bootleg Robots app, not mine. Mine is "Awful Forums Reader" and is for Windows Phone 8.1. I did send him a patch to fix his bug though, but he's not around much anymore so he never accepted it I think.

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

There's no excuse to bail when it runs on Windows 8 as well ;)

Pretty so-so success/failure rate, but try tossing it on bitbucket or such, simpler stuff like doing a retry on loading bookmarks is something it is not that unlikely you can get a hand with.

I have been using my Macbook Air and iPad more often, so...

It's been on GitHub since the beginning. Also, I know it's very easy to just put a try/catch on that initial bookmark load and do some simple error handling for that specific issue, my point was that I need to actually handle errors better by setting up an error/debug manager so that it's done somewhat correctly in more places.

Also to ljw1004, those posts are extremely useful, so thanks for helping out :).

Drastic Actions fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Sep 11, 2014

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Submitted a new version which should hopefully stop the app crashing on startup. I started to implement a basic error manager to handle these errors the app may generate.

It's a start at least. Hopefully this helps stop those random crashes some of you are having. :)

EDIT: And it's in. It should be up in a few hours.

Drastic Actions fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Sep 11, 2014

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Love this one.

Also thanks Drastic, using your app now and works perfectly :)

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
I startes using the wp awful app when it first came out. To be honest I didn't like it and never bothered with it again.
I reinstalled it when I got my 930 due to the rave reviews in this thread and I have to say wow! Massive improvement. I use this all the time now rather than accessing through the I.e. Great job.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Man, the difference in web browsing on the 635 and a 1gig phone like the 920 seems pretty noticable. Seems like switching tabs always causes a refresh on the 635, I don't recall running into that with the 920 at all.

How's web browsing one of the 2GB RAM phones?

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

On the 1020, I get occasional refreshes but I think one of those GB is for the camera only.

And I realize this applies to no one else itt but swyping in Arabic is cool as hell. :v:

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Maneki Neko posted:

Man, the difference in web browsing on the 635 and a 1gig phone like the 920 seems pretty noticable. Seems like switching tabs always causes a refresh on the 635, I don't recall running into that with the 920 at all.

How's web browsing one of the 2GB RAM phones?

As long as you have a good net connection, the 930 is as pretty faultless as it gets. Very nice, smooth and fast. This also applies to all apps that use the net. Such a smoother experience.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
521 poo poo the bed again but Nokia service is pretty awesome. No arguments or trying to make me do hard resets after I'd already done, and they are paying shipping.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.
Can Microsoft please throw a poo poo ton of money at HBO and get us a good HBO Go app?

Anonononomous
Jul 1, 2007
Has anyone had hands on experience and want to tell me if I should get a One on an Icon? I'm on Verizon, so those are my options. So far as I can tell, the nice things about the One are the faster processor (how much of a difference does that make?), the slightly bigger battery, expandable memory and nifty stuff like the IR blaster, the dot cases and the metal finish. But the Icon has a way better camera, an apparently better screen, the better Nokia apps (?), and nifty wireless charging.

Also, does anyone know if Verizon has gotten better at pushing updates? My current phone is a Trophy that I got (I think) after 7.8 came out but I got it with 7.5 and it's never updated. I don't want to get stuck with 8 on an Icon if I go that way. Or is that an HTC issue and a reason to go with the Icon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
I would trust Nokia/Microsoft before I would HTC, although HTC did put out some great native WP apps for the One, so maybe they are serious.

Tossup, but having owned the Android M8, I would go with the Icon. Qi and camera are kinda big deals to me, at least.