Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

zoux posted:

Yeah he didn't sound too happy about that.

Which is why in six months time when neither of them are doing work for Marvel people shouldn't really be surprised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Don't they only invite people that are on the big name books that usually tie in to big events?

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Unless the likes of Skottie Young have been doing big event books for the last while, no.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Huh. I dunno then. Maybe he's just really fun to have around.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm so sick of Skottie Young.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

zoux posted:

I was a huge fan of Skottie's work on Oz and older X-men books. When they announced him doing variants for the marvel now launch I was like "cool!" and enjoyed his first couple variants. Then they kept doing it....and doing it.....and every loving Marvel number 1 gets one of his now. Suddenly, I'm in the same boat as you and it's really disappointing honestly.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

zoux posted:

Can we have a page of not terrible opinions please.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Madkal posted:

Can we have a page of not terrible opinions please.

Haha get this it's chibi Wolverine! Whatta ironic smashup!! Wolverine's not cute, he's mean!!!

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

RevKrule posted:

I was a huge fan of Skottie's work on Oz and older X-men books. When they announced him doing variants for the marvel now launch I was like "cool!" and enjoyed his first couple variants. Then they kept doing it....and doing it.....and every loving Marvel number 1 gets one of his now. Suddenly, I'm in the same boat as you and it's really disappointing honestly.

You could get Rocket Raccoon for your Skottie Young non-baby fix.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

zoux posted:

Haha get this it's chibi Wolverine! Whatta ironic smashup!! Wolverine's not cute, he's mean!!!

I have no idea what you are talking about!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Drawing cute versions of stuff his Skottie Young's entire schtick. I like some of his stuff, like the Spidey cover where Deadpool xtreme 90's him up, but every single "big" issue has to have some SY variant. So I'm sick of it!!

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

TwoPair posted:

Whatever happened to Malcolm X's asteroid base anyway?

It landed on Plymouth Rock.

...or did Plymouth Rock land on it?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

zoux posted:

What is it like to have no joy in your soul?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sorry I can't hear you in my fort made out of Punisher books.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
The babies shtick has gotten old, but SY has done so many other great covers, and has such a cheery and distinct style, that it is really a shame that he's mainly known for the baby covers.
Aside from The Wizard of Oz stuff, which isn't really my thing, I don't know if he's illustrated many other comics.

Mister Nobody
Feb 17, 2011
If you haven't read his Oz stuff I strongly suggest you give it a try. I never got to read any Oz stuff as a kid, and his books are my main only real intro besides the movies and I love em to death.

At the very least the first two storylines are some of the funnest stuff I have read in a while, and I will forgive Skottie Young a thousand variant covers that I wont ever have to see unless i choose to, as long as he keeps churning out great comics.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Scottie Young drew New X-Men vol 2 for a bit. He got to draw hell stone Rockslide and it owned.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Lee & Kirby FF is terrific, but I wouldn't look askance at anybody who can't get into it. Superhero comics have refined themselves a lot-- in good ways and bad ways-- and the nascent formulation of a lot of the grammar of the genre in the early 60's can be a little wild and wooly in retrospect. If somebody digs Hamlet I'm not going to assume they'll love Thomas Kyd or, god forbid, Seneca.

That being said, how on earth do you people not like Cervantes.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Archyduke posted:

That being said, how on earth do you people not like Cervantes.
After 150 pages of the two leads getting repeatedly beaten up because of stupid misunderstandings I got bored.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Doctor Spaceman posted:

After 150 pages of the two leads getting repeatedly beaten up because of stupid misunderstandings I got bored.

But even that first, picaresque volume has a lot of amazing stuff in it. The riffing on Ovid, the Cardenio interpolation, etc.

And if I concede that the first volume can be sort of repetitive, I really, really recommend pushing through to part two, which is already so canny about how novels will come to work, and how they produce affect. The slapstick tricks and violence of volume one are twisted into the more developed, more acutely cruel and mean-spirited long-form prank of the Duchess and the Duke. The same little incidences we laughed at or yawned at in volume one suddenly sting quite sharply because, somehow, Cervantes discovered how to make picaresque figures into what we can recognize as actual characters with some measure of psychological verisimilitude. It gets astonishingly sad, which is all the more astonishing because, yes, parts of volume one make it feel like the novel as a concept is sort of a limited project, specially designed for wringing out a certain kind of rough chuckle.

Plus, Sancho Panza gets to be a governor and there's one amazingly haunting bit where Quixote goes down into a cave and sees a vision which is completely unlike any of his other delusions throughout the rest of the story. It's legit probably one of my top ten scenes in world literature.

Edit: Another tip for people for whom the bulkiness of DQ volume 1 is offputting or tiresome, try giving his novella The Dialogue of the Dogs a shot, and if you like that, dip your toes in Exemplary Novels.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I'm still on volume 1 of Don Quixote and I have been loving it from page 1. I don't mind repetition if the repetition is good, and my translation is extremely readable.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Schneider Heim posted:

I'm still on volume 1 of Don Quixote and I have been loving it from page 1. I don't mind repetition if the repetition is good, and my translation is extremely readable.

That recent translation that got a lot of good reviews is on sale for Amazon Kindle for $2 this month, if anyone wants to try it.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Random Stranger posted:

That recent translation that got a lot of good reviews is on sale for Amazon Kindle for $2 this month, if anyone wants to try it.
This is the Grossman version?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

redbackground posted:

This is the Grossman version?

Yep, the Edith Grossman translation.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
Has anyone else read Hair Shirt by Patrick McEown? I just finished it, and was kind of confused by a few things. Maybe that's the point?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Just Offscreen posted:

Has anyone else read Hair Shirt by Patrick McEown? I just finished it, and was kind of confused by a few things. Maybe that's the point?

You wanna be confused by a few things? Read Seaguy. :rant:

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

prefect posted:

Eh, I think I'm done with Morrison. I've had Multiversity 1 sitting here for weeks now and just have no desire to read it.

After this issue of Powers, I think I'm also done with this series. It really lost it's charm long ago and I'm only buying it out of habit. It hasn't been a book I looked forward to reading in a long, long time.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Soonmot posted:

Eh, I think I'm done with Morrison. I've had Multiversity 1 sitting here for weeks now and just have no desire to read it.

After this issue of Powers, I think I'm also done with this series. It really lost it's charm long ago and I'm only buying it out of habit. It hasn't been a book I looked forward to reading in a long, long time.

Powers its an issue of huge rear end delays and I think there is only one more issue in this series.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I can't say I'm too interested in Multiversity, but I enjoyed the first issue of Annihilator more than anything Morrison's done in years.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Waterhaul posted:

Which is why in six months time when neither of them are doing work for Marvel people shouldn't really be surprised.

Is KSD planning on going independent like Fraction did?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Trast posted:

She's already got Image stuff on her resume with Pretty Deadly, and all the cool kids are doing it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Does this mean someone good will write Captain Marvel?

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Trast posted:

She already has Pretty Deadly and Bitch Planet with Image as well as some Dark Horse stuff and from the inkstuds interview she is trying to get into TV. If Marvel ain't treating her right I would see no reason to stay around, despite how much she may enjoy writing Carol.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Is Bitch Planet good? I know some people here didn't like Pretty Deadly but I loved it.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

It's not out till November.

I loved a lot about Pretty Deadly so with Emma and Kelly Sue both having their own projects coming out in the near enough future I'm interested to see where each go given the experience of their first "big" indie book. Especially given that Brandon Graham seems to be pushing Emma to Image hard and they're letting her do her thing.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.
edit: beaten

ubergnu
Jun 7, 2002

Failed gothic
Ahaha, I've been had! I got started on 'Marshal Law' for a lark. I was expecting some funny yet bland ultra violence version of Dredd. Why didn't anyone tell me it was illustrated by O'Neill?! The first four issues had me just reading somewhat, OK, funny. Then I got into #5 and went '...wait a minute', and after that the two last ones slammed it home!

I'm going to read it again, there are TONS of stuff I remember that can prescribe the story, but you don't know it before halfway. Color Theory is abundant. So much more is also there. Kevin O'Neill's art was strange at first, but when it sat in, it was perfect! No one else could have done that angular stylistic drawings that the story needed better.

Very satisfying ending, it's one of those things you have to read/watch through twice to get all the references that were there from the start.

ubergnu fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Sep 13, 2014

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Waterhaul posted:

She already has Pretty Deadly and Bitch Planet with Image as well as some Dark Horse stuff and from the inkstuds interview she is trying to get into TV. If Marvel ain't treating her right I would see no reason to stay around, despite how much she may enjoy writing Carol.

Leaving for better opportunities is cool.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

That first Marshal Law miniseries is loving awesome. The rest aren't quite as good, but still fun and O'Neill's art remains great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

prefect posted:

Seaguy and The Slaves of Mickey Eye are Grant Morrison's finest comics and I'll fight anyone who says otherwise. Still waiting on Eternal. . .

• Locked thread