Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Mokinokaro posted:

I could've sworn it was patched into the base game when the expansion came out.

They didn't, which is extra painful because the teleporting movement had a bug that would sometimes decide the middle of your squad was a valid place to drop the aliens.

They also didn't backport the extra second wave options, the improved squad management UI, or the soldier skill balance changes.

Dominic White posted:

No, that's something added by the Long War mod, which is a massive overhaul of just about every system in the game. Enemy Within runs to most of the same rules as the vanilla game, just with new unit types, missions, maps, Exalt, etc.

edit: You give Long War too much credit. It's an EW change, mandated by the increased availability of invisibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Male Man posted:

edit: You give Long War too much credit. It's an EW change, mandated by the increased availability of invisibility.

My bad - Long War does make a lot of changes to how enemies are spawned, though, and they're currently trying to work out some of the kinks of allowing enemies to appear anywhere, like spawns on inaccessible rooftops.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power

SirDan3k posted:

Is Remember Me worth dropping six bucks on?

I got it free on PS+ and couldn't finish it. The story and overall aesthetics were cool as hell, but it's like someone took the batman combat engine and was instructed, "Make this as god awful as you can, just to see how bad it can be". I suggest playing on easy if you do, because hard mode just turned into such an unfun slog by the middle that I had to quit by the third boss fight or so.

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!

Meow Tse-tung posted:

I got it free on PS+ and couldn't finish it. The story and overall aesthetics were cool as hell, but it's like someone took the batman combat engine and was instructed, "Make this as god awful as you can, just to see how bad it can be". I suggest playing on easy if you do, because hard mode just turned into such an unfun slog by the middle that I had to quit by the third boss fight or so.

This is exactly it. It's a game that looks remarkable, and the platforming is serviceable, but I just wanted to turn it off every time I got to a fight. Seeing it described as "Arkham ripoff combat" made it sound like maybe Sleeping Dogs when in fact it was just terminally boring in every way.

funakupo
May 9, 2006

the ultimate longterm partner
Oven Wrangler
Just a heads-up for those who bought Banished, played and enjoyed but were waiting for more: with the modkit out a few weeks now there already are some great (and stable) mods available over at banishedmods. I tried out a couple today with good results, notably Creamery, General Store, and Better Fields.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Justin_Brett posted:

A new Mega Man game might appeal to western audiences.
The franchise died ages ago. We are getting Beck and we will like it.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
If you haven't played Bionic Commando Rearmed, buy it immediately. It's such a drat good game. Retro done right. A lot of 'retro' games are low effort stuff, Rearmed took the time to make things so drat good. The soundtrack in particular is incredible.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Dominic White posted:

Edit: I still don't understand why Capcom even wanted to reboot the series to begin with. DMC4 was the most successful one by a large margin - it's not like it was in decline. The reboot ended up selling terribly, too, so it's probably dead until Capcom decide to start dusting off abandoned IPs again.

Capcom lost their minds a few years back and went full retard. They've managed to gently caress up drat near all of their franchises, even their moneymakers.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Ddraig posted:

If you haven't played Bionic Commando Rearmed, buy it immediately. It's such a drat good game. Retro done right. A lot of 'retro' games are low effort stuff, Rearmed took the time to make things so drat good. The soundtrack in particular is incredible.

Yeah, Simon Viklund does fantastic music. He's the Payday 2 soundtrack guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YyFM3hkIn4

Always a lot of energy and big bass.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

I think Steam is sending me a sign to finally play Bioshock Infinite by downloading a 5 gig patch to include foreign audio I have no interest in. Why do this 2K? Just make that poo poo optional DLC or something.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Tempest_56 posted:

Capcom lost their minds a few years back and went full retard. They've managed to gently caress up drat near all of their franchises, even their moneymakers.

Call of Duty drove a lot of foreign studios insane, an American development team became the magic bullet to sell a bazillion copies.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

SirDan3k posted:

Call of Duty drove a lot of foreign studios insane, an American development team became the magic bullet to sell a bazillion copies.
Too bad they rarely hired the good ones.

Nevett
Aug 31, 2001

Hm. I'm getting lots of friend requests all of a sudden from random looking level 1 accounts. I've ignored them all but I can't work out what they're interested in.

I have nothing in my inventory of note.

The only thing I can think of is that I installed the Steam inventory helper Chrome extension linked earlier in the thread and used it to bulk sell 90 near-worthless cards. Has that somehow put me on a list for phishing bots or something?

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010

Ddraig posted:

Even the trailer for the game is fantastic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daDiZrmZb-c

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

homewrecker posted:

The recent trailer for Gear Up is clearly cribbing from that one, too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUHn4cNvulI

Again, Simon Viklund doing the music. His style is pretty clear.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

homewrecker posted:

I'm actually kind of disappointed that this extended(?) version of the song isn't on the soundtrack, it's the best track. The great thing is how all of the songs, in many places, sample the original 8-bit tunes. As noted above, the devs put a ton of effort into the game, and if you were at all familiar with the original, it was great seeing how much they clearly loved it too.

Dominic White posted:

The recent trailer for Gear Up is clearly cribbing from that one, too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUHn4cNvulI

Again, Simon Viklund doing the music. His style is pretty clear.

Wow, no kidding.

Bruteman fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Sep 12, 2014

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Male Man posted:

No, I think Dominic is right and Alien's patrolling really is a LW feature. What EW fixed was Aliens teleporting ONTO you, but they still teleport about in the FoW.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
everyone please buy bionic commando 2k9
people hated it because aiming the hook on controller was difficult but with mouse its easy and cool and good

http://store.steampowered.com/app/21670/

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I can't wait for Death to Spies 3

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
and yeah rearmed is good and the soundtrack is insane. Im glad viklund is still doing stuff

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Or rather I should have said I was excited until they confirmed they're broke again https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/haggardgames/death-to-spies-3

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Let me tell you bout Simon's music.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I think my favorite little detail in Rearmed is in one of the levels, I think it's the power plant, you can sort of hear muffled music when you airlift in, and when you enter the building it's blaring. The Imperials are pumping the music via the PA system :v:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Nevett posted:

Hm. I'm getting lots of friend requests all of a sudden from random looking level 1 accounts. I've ignored them all but I can't work out what they're interested in.

I have nothing in my inventory of note.

The only thing I can think of is that I installed the Steam inventory helper Chrome extension linked earlier in the thread and used it to bulk sell 90 near-worthless cards. Has that somehow put me on a list for phishing bots or something?
Level 1 accounts are the new Russian invite. Whatever it is, they have issues with trading and invite people like me. Probably because they are new accounts or something. Jerks don't even bother telling me anything.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

now available on steam: dusk 12

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khj1IJL2u8M

http://store.steampowered.com/app/317970 dusk 12!

(all the reviews saying it won't run are wrong, you just need to download the legacy physx driver and also download the latest audiere dll from the audiere website)

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Kaubocks posted:

Basically the swinging feels great once you get used to it and I'm so butthurt that the game wasn't more than it could have been. Multiplayer could have been so much fun if they just made the guns feel good to use but sadly I think they've shut the servers down.

i played the mp over hamachi once and it was intense as gently caress.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

derek smart, Derek Smart, DEREK SMART

http://store.steampowered.com/app/266620/?snr=1_4_4__105_1

Bleusilences fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Sep 12, 2014

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
So I got DMC and DMC4 and I feel bad guys but I kinda prefer DMC please don't hate me (moreso). :ohdear:

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

poptart_fairy posted:

So I got DMC and DMC4 and I feel bad guys but I kinda prefer DMC please don't hate me (moreso). :ohdear:

Excuse me, why don't you like the same games the same way as me.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Darkrenown posted:

No, I think Dominic is right and Alien's patrolling really is a LW feature. What EW fixed was Aliens teleporting ONTO you, but they still teleport about in the FoW.

Ah, thanks for the confirmation. Also, news just in from the Long War devs live on stream: They've figured out how to add multiple mission start points to maps, so missions should be even more varied in B14. They also added logic to force aliens out of starting line-of-sight range, so things should be less chaotic.

It's amazing how much they've done in terms of reverse-engineering the game.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

poptart_fairy posted:

DO you think it's just more entertaining in the cutscenes or do you prefer the combat?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Drifter posted:

DO you think it's just more entertaining in the cutscenes or do you prefer the combat?

The combat, honestly. DMC feels like it 'flows' better and I find the variety in combinations and attacks give me a lot more freedom, if only to look more spectacular rather than being genuinely more effective. That art design as well, good lord. :allears:

I can definitely see the appeal with DMC4 but something feels...off to me about it, as if Nero is just a little less agile and responsive than I need him to be. Ploughing through both alongside one another, and they're both a lot of fun, but DMC feels much more enjoyable. I don't have any prior experience with the franchise though so any reboot baggage is lost on me which probably helps.

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007
Curious if anyone has had something like this happen with GreenManGaming...

I bought a game tonight, payed with Paypal, and immediately got two emails from Paypal about it. One was my receipt, and one was notifying me of a refund. I looked at my Paypal account, and sure enough I had a positive balance from the refund. Ok, so, surely that means the purchase didn't go through, right? Nope, there's my Steam key, I redeem it, it works. So now I'm sitting here with the money in my Paypal account from the refund, and a game on my Steam account. Did I just win? Will they realize and charge me again? I'm tempted to email them and see what's up, because I'm happy to pay for the game and have never had any issues with GMG, but want to give it a little time to see if they do end up just charge me again...

Flumpus fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Sep 12, 2014

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

poptart_fairy posted:

The combat, honestly. DMC feels like it 'flows' better and I find the variety in combinations and attacks give me a lot more freedom, if only to look more spectacular rather than being genuinely more effective. That art design as well, good lord. :allears:

I can definitely see the appeal with DMC4 but something feels...off to me about it, as if Nero is just a little less agile and responsive than I need him to be. Ploughing through both alongside one another, and they're both a lot of fun, but DMC feels much more enjoyable. I don't have any prior experience with the franchise though so any reboot baggage is lost on me which probably helps.

Hey I bought both those games today as well. I think I'm going to dive into DMC4 first. How do they stack up against Revengeance? The whole reason I bought these is because I loved Revengeance so much and wanted more in the same genre and style. How do the difficulty levels compare?
Of course what I really want is Revengeance 2 so here's hoping that gets announced next week at TGS.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

poptart_fairy posted:

You aren't very far into the game I take it.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I don't think anything can compare to Revengeance, really. That game was a sort of lightning strike (:haw:) for me and pulled me into a genre I hadn't even considered before.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Helith posted:

Hey I bought both those games today as well. I think I'm going to dive into DMC4 first. How do they stack up against Revengeance? The whole reason I bought these is because I loved Revengeance so much and wanted more in the same genre and style. How do the difficulty levels compare?
Of course what I really want is Revengeance 2 so here's hoping that gets announced next week at TGS.

Never played DmC, but DMC4 is definitely harder than Revengeance. It also plays different, Revengeance is closer to Bayonetta (of course) in terms of movement options and getting rewarded for good defensive maneuvers. DMC4 is more about fancy combos and smart offense.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Flumpus posted:

Curious if anyone has had something like this happen with GreenManGaming...

Yeah, wait until monday before speaking with them. Lord knows their computer systems are pretty hosed up over there, even if they tried to deduct an amount tomorrow they'd probably not cancel the first one after corrections and accidentally double dip you. Let the systems crunch for a while to see if things go normal..

Orv
May 4, 2011

God I'm almost tempted to buy that to witness the unmitigated disaster.

Oh, oh my.

"At 2PM PST / 5PM EST, there will be a meeting in the Operations room (Deck 2[lodmmo.com]) of the Starguard. Your gestures (e.g. salute) work. Get ready to use them when the Supreme Commander of GALCOM shows up to welcome you all to the game and its world."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Helith posted:

DMC4 is a lot more methodical than Revengeance. There's a greater emphasis on combos and variety, while Revengeance was far more button-mashy. You get more points in DMC4 for keeping your style ranking up, and your style ranking drops if you start using the same moves over and over. It's also more difficult than Revengeance, although if you don't care about score you can just button mash your way through it and use powerful moves.

Ed: Also it's slower than Revengeance. You don't have a ninja run equivalent, so combat takes place in smaller arenas and you want to keep enemies close to you.

Lance Streetman fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Sep 12, 2014

• Locked thread