Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?

Nihilarian posted:

It's probably up to the DM.

So if you cast raise dead on a brain eaten warrior in a box do you have to consider the warrior for all intents and purposes both alive and dead at the same time until you collapse the wave form by asking your DM what you see when you open the box?

edit: At this point we should have a :5th edition: emote that's just a picture of Mike Mearls and the words "Ask your DM".

Vorpal Cat fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Sep 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Yeah that's kinda the thing with modules: they need a skeleton to attach to.

This is a really eye-opening time to get back into 2e. The player's / dm's option books actually present honest-to-God modules as chapters, complete with a summary page and a "is this right for my campaign?" paragraph that summarizes the mod, addresses foreseen consequences, and helps you decide if that's something you want to bring to the table.

A Catastrophe
Jun 26, 2014

ProfessorCirno posted:

This is just reminding me of that dude on ENWorld who said it was literally impossible to lose limbs in D&D because there were no rules for it (since rules are physics), and that any DM that introduced an NPC with any missing body part at all was breaking verisimilitude because "missing limbs don't exist in setting".
in 2e iirc it came down to a Sword of Sharpness, a Vorpal Blade, or being bitten by a Tarrasque. Any amputee you meet in adnd2e has faced one of those things and survived, so you'd best act with respect.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

MonsterEnvy, I know you've said you've got a disorder so you may not understand the hostility towards you. If this is the case, I genuinely feel for you. Lemme try to put this in a way that's easily digestible.

*Think about how many times you've stated a ruling, and someone has posted the passage in the book that proved you wrong - usually to the detriment of the player, more often than not a Fighter. Imagine if you were playing a fighter, and these issues just. kept. coming. up. like they have been in this thread. When the DM points out that these things don't work out like you thought, that isn't being a bully; they're following the rules as they are written in the $50 dollar book(s). But the conflict comes up so much that you and the DM are getting very frustrated with each other.

[The Conflict being you, MonsterEnvy, assuming the rules do what they're supposed to and allow your Fighter to be awesome {VS.} the actual rules printed in the book(s).]

What's more, these conflicts aren't just with Fighters, but with dozens of problems that litter the PHB like teeny caltrops waiting to derail an evening. What's more, it's happening again with the Monster Manual.

Imagine if you were a DM, and a player kept correcting you on rules. And their corrections were wrong - in fact, the opposite was true. How would you feel about that player? That's where we are now.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

A Catastrophe posted:

in 2e iirc it came down to a Sword of Sharpness, a Vorpal Blade, or being bitten by a Tarrasque. Any amputee you meet in adnd2e has faced one of those things and survived, so you'd best act with respect.

I could swear there were extra called-shot rules somewhere that let you remove limbs. I want to say it was the Fighter's Handbook, but I'm far from sure and I might just be thinking about Hackmaster, so...

moths posted:

Yeah that's kinda the thing with modules: they need a skeleton to attach to.

This is a really eye-opening time to get back into 2e. The player's / dm's option books actually present honest-to-God modules as chapters, complete with a summary page and a "is this right for my campaign?" paragraph that summarizes the mod, addresses foreseen consequences, and helps you decide if that's something you want to bring to the table.

Yeah, 2e's modularity is a pretty interesting look at what could have happened. You're talking about the 2.5-ish Skills and Powers and Combat and Tactics ones, right? If you included all that stuff, you got a completely different game from core 2e, which was a kind of weird thing at the time.

Even before that, there were add-on books. I mean, nobody could say that 2e's Fighter was a complex class, but get the Complete Fighter's Handbook and you can make it very complicated if you like. If the quality of the Complete Book Of series wasn't so variable, it could have been a good example of how to do it.

A Catastrophe
Jun 26, 2014
All the Skills and Powers stuff was an effort to backsolve, and shows the limitations of that approach. Much Like the best Palladium TMNT PC was large but semi-humanoid, the best dnd2e Skills and Powers points-built character was from a cleric base- they were built on the most points.

A real modular system would start it's framework on day one. 4e was not bad in this respect- action economy + adventure economy allows for a lot of bits ot be swapped in and out. While the two main efforts at this (psionics and essentials) were not very popular, you can at least see the basic modular concept being used: your turn/standard action, your encounter, your day all line up pretty well with other pcs. Not perfect, often flawed, but it's there.

Even a 3e style level system could work, if properly constructed. Take a level here, take a level there, everything adds up. But the foundation and the basic values have to be in place, and have to be respected.

AlphaDog posted:

I could swear there were extra called-shot rules somewhere that let you remove limbs. I want to say it was the Fighter's Handbook, but I'm far from sure and I might just be thinking about Hackmaster, so...
Yeah combat and tactics has crits and called shots iirc but that's not REAL 2e, it's just weeabo fighten man bullshit

A Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Sep 12, 2014

Strength of Many
Jan 13, 2012

The butthurt is the life... and it shall be mine.

Glukeose posted:

The last few posts have mostly been "posting about posting," so how about we change gears to something a bit more palatable? Since the DMG stupidly won't be out until much later, what are people doing for Magical / Wondrous items? I've made up almost two dozen loot cards for my players ranging in usefulness from "a decanter of endless boiling water" to "a greatsword that deals an extra 1d6 damage to draconic foes and gives you a 1/day 'legendary save' power." My players are enjoying the odd items I've cooked up, so what, if anything, have other people come up with?

I'm foolishly running a solo game, so I gave the intrepid Fighter a longsword that sheds daylight and burns with sunfire (2d6 fire damage on hit, sheds sunlight up to 30 feet and dim light another 30 feet beyond that, any enemies vulnerable to sunlight take their assigned penalties), a bunch of potions and some scrolls free of use, and splint mail armor. Might seem like a bit much at level 3 but, again, its a solo game with a Cleric NPC on stand-by to be a sort of Gandalf figure slash healbot when necessary.

I'm playing with the idea of the longsword unlocking eventual Legendary actions or something else fantastical as the character grows in power and prestige. Also because I hate the idea of having a cool iconic weapon and then throwing it away for the next one that comes along because its +1 higher than the previous.

mango sentinel posted:

So am I having difficulty understanding Pact of the Blade or is it just really poorly described in the PHB? You choose that pact and you get a weapon that just poofs into your hand at will as an action, and later you can improve it with real weapons?

As a character with no other apparent synergies for attacking things, this seems real dumb. I guess you can use up a level 5 invocation to be a kind of lovely version of an Eldritch Knight? I kinda think there's cool flavor space for Pact of the Blade, but it seems to do nothing for the character's kit.

Am I missing something?

EDIT: Asking, because my friend wants to start a 5e campaign (gods help us,) and I'm still trying to decide what to play.

Play a Bard of Valor. No, seriously. Get away from the Warlock. Its a stinky pile of poo poo and badly executed ideas. You'll do the same things but a million times better as a Bard. I'd advocate it over the Eldritch Knight, too, save for specific niche builds that let the Eldritch Knight become super tanky though lacking in ability to actually force things to target you makes self-buffing feel utterly pointless - thanks WotC!

Strength of Many fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Sep 12, 2014

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Father Wendigo posted:

MonsterEnvy, I know you've said you've got a disorder so you may not understand the hostility towards you. If this is the case, I genuinely feel for you. Lemme try to put this in a way that's easily digestible.

*Think about how many times you've stated a ruling, and someone has posted the passage in the book that proved you wrong - usually to the detriment of the player, more often than not a Fighter. Imagine if you were playing a fighter, and these issues just. kept. coming. up. like they have been in this thread. When the DM points out that these things don't work out like you thought, that isn't being a bully; they're following the rules as they are written in the $50 dollar book(s). But the conflict comes up so much that you and the DM are getting very frustrated with each other.

[The Conflict being you, MonsterEnvy, assuming the rules do what they're supposed to and allow your Fighter to be awesome {VS.} the actual rules printed in the book(s).]

What's more, these conflicts aren't just with Fighters, but with dozens of problems that litter the PHB like teeny caltrops waiting to derail an evening. What's more, it's happening again with the Monster Manual.

Imagine if you were a DM, and a player kept correcting you on rules. And their corrections were wrong - in fact, the opposite was true. How would you feel about that player? That's where we are now.

I get what you mean. I know I got issues with letting stuff go. Honestly I look at some of the posts here and I know responding to them will make everyone think less of me. But it just bugs me to let it go at that.

Anyway I do not believe I was not wrong or lying on the last page. But I don't want to argue about it so I will take your advice and drop it here. I don't care about Fighters that much. But I want people to know that casters are not flawless unbeatable gods in this edition as well. They are still very good but they don't utterly outclass everything and make them obsolete like they used to.

As for the monster manual after posting the List of Monsters by CR. I was not even trying to defend it. Just pointing out why some stuff was like it was. The intellect Devourer was were I started arguing again. Just because I was trying to point out it was not an instant kill.

Anyway I will try and focus on better things.

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

Strength of Many posted:

Something something legendary qualities with a weapon

Yes. I love the idea of a weapon being defined by its user, and in turn partially defining its user. Depending on the player's actions, I think it would be awesome to have the longsword take on properties that mirror its wielder. I have a whole thing like that set up for my fighter and barbarian in my 5e campaign. The weapon becomes an extension of themselves, and so gains magical properties that complement their powerful owner.

ie: A hot headed warrior's sword becomes warm to the touch when in the presence of people who have gotten off scot-free for their crimes. A barbarian concerned with creating a prosperous future for his people eventually imbues his axe with a passive buff to diplomacy rolls.

Strength of Many
Jan 13, 2012

Glukeose posted:

Yes. I love the idea of a weapon being defined by its user, and in turn partially defining its user. Depending on the player's actions, I think it would be awesome to have the longsword take on properties that mirror its wielder. I have a whole thing like that set up for my fighter and barbarian in my 5e campaign. The weapon becomes an extension of themselves, and so gains magical properties that complement their powerful owner.

ie: A hot headed warrior's sword becomes warm to the touch when in the presence of people who have gotten off scot-free for their crimes. A barbarian concerned with creating a prosperous future for his people eventually imbues his axe with a passive buff to diplomacy rolls.

In the case of my game, the character's mom was a famous dragon slayer and champion jouster. There are some other unexpected twists I won't be revealing for awhile, but needless to say it will have something to do with dragons and the communing or killing of them -- depending on what route the player goes down.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Vorpal Cat posted:

edit: At this point we should have a :5th edition: emote that's just a picture of Mike Mearls and the words "Ask your DM".

I assume it would be based on :iiam:

Huh, there are a lot of those ghost smilies now. Well, regd08.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Vorpal Cat posted:

Well then couldn't you rez someone who died to brain eating if you put the stomach of the Intellect Devourer into the corpse's skull? That way the brain isn't missing, its just chewed up and partially digested
I'm the DM making my players stuff a corpse with owlbear poo poo.

A Catastrophe
Jun 26, 2014

MonsterEnvy posted:

I get what you mean. I know I got issues with letting stuff go. Honestly I look at some of the posts here and I know responding to them will make everyone think less of me.
I don't think anybody thinks less of you as a person, it's just your posts in this context.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Selachian posted:

The 1E rakshasa art is one of Trampier's cooler pieces though.

Whatever our opinions are, most of us can agree that the 5e art is pretty cool. So I just wanted to point something rather fun out about this 1e art.

Take a look at this badly taken picture of the 5e Rakshasa.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Sep 12, 2014

Strength of Many
Jan 13, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Most of us agree that the 5e art is pretty cool so far. So this is just a fun thing I want to point out.

Somewhere along the way that Rakshasa grew a cat mullet.

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

Take a look at this badly taken picture of the 5e Rakshasa.

Yeah, this is really awesome. Seeing that picture actually makes me want to buy the MM. I can't wait to see art for other creatures.

Strength of Many
Jan 13, 2012

dichloroisocyanuric posted:

Yeah, this is really awesome. Seeing that picture actually makes me want to buy the MM. I can't wait to see art for other creatures.

I'm torn about that.

On the one hand, I like the art, I prefer to own physical copies, I love my LGS (buy it through them, support their success) and i'm intrigued by some of the entries (see: dragons, Lair actions, etc.)

On the other hand I do not want to reward them for producing lovely content.

On the third hand I do not want another 5-10 years of loving Pathfinder as the dominant spokesman for TTRPGs. Even this mess is.. arguably ..better than that.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?

DalaranJ posted:

I assume it would be based on :iiam:

Huh, there are a lot of those ghost smilies now. Well, regd08.

I was thinking something more like this :xcom:.

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

Strength of Many posted:

I'm torn about that.

On the one hand, I like the art, I prefer to own physical copies, I love my LGS (buy it through them, support their success) and i'm intrigued by some of the entries (see: dragons, Lair actions, etc.)

On the other hand I do not want to reward them for producing lovely content.

On the third hand I do not want another 5-10 years of loving Pathfinder as the dominant spokesman for TTRPGs. Even this mess is.. arguably ..better than that.

I'm not sure it's "arguable." I own a few 3.5 manuals and have played a bit of Pathfinder and even that small taste practically gave me an aneurysm. I'm comfortable enough with 5e that I can DM it. I'm probably grogging but Pathfinder is just a heaping pile of poo poo in my opinion.

Grimpond
Dec 24, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

I get what you mean. I know I got issues with letting stuff go. Honestly I look at some of the posts here and I know responding to them will make everyone think less of me. But it just bugs me to let it go at that.

Anyway I do not believe I was not wrong or lying on the last page.

AlphaDog posted:

No, you are continuously understating the problems the game has, and you do it by lying about conveniently forgetting what it says in the rulebooks.

No, they were you telling us that you "can't tell" what a die roll will be, that your fighter had 12 INT so it's fine, and then

Oh look, you were dead wrong about Greater Restoration. But what you really meant was something you didn't initially say, so everyone else is wrong.

e: Oh you lying motherfucker.

MonsterEnvy, it's really frustrating for people in the thread to consistently see you make claims about how the rules work that are quickly proven to be false in every sense of the word. You seem to be ignoring all these responses to your claims that people like AlphaDog are giving you using the actual rules as the book states them. You make your opinion on these incorrect statements and then basically ignore all of the posts giving you evidence to the contrary.

We know you like the game, and that is fine. We get that, and most of us agree that we'd have fun playing with friends! But once again, its really frustrating to see you constantly try to claim the the criticisms being leveled against 5e are false or wrong even when they include the relevant parts of the book that are problematic.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Glukeose posted:

I'm not sure it's "arguable." I own a few 3.5 manuals and have played a bit of Pathfinder and even that small taste practically gave me an aneurysm. I'm comfortable enough with 5e that I can DM it. I'm probably grogging but Pathfinder is just a heaping pile of poo poo in my opinion.
I think I'm in the same boat. I just can't deal with the complexities of d20 D&D and have fun at the same time. For some people, the complexity of d20 is the fun, but I'd rather file my taxes.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

A Catastrophe posted:

All the Skills and Powers stuff was an effort to backsolve, and shows the limitations of that approach. Much Like the best Palladium TMNT PC was large but semi-humanoid, the best dnd2e Skills and Powers points-built character was from a cleric base- they were built on the most points.

I always liked how the S&P character point total for a cleric gave you juuust enough points that you could eschew all clerical spells and turning undead in favor of being able to cast all wizard spells as a cleric. With five points left over, even, just in case you wanted a couple of actual cleric spells.

Strength of Many
Jan 13, 2012

Glukeose posted:

I am in the same boat. If its the only D&D edition that's going to see regular play now, well, at least its not Pathfinder. I can handle playing or even running 5e. My attempts at running Pathfinder or 3.5e again had me writing up pages of house rules and then still becoming so infuriated by its mechanics that I gave up and ran 4e instead.

I was much happier with that decision, though I do find 4e fatiguing to run after awhile.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

dichloroisocyanuric posted:

You are in luck then. Because of the way I like to make my tokens for my games. (I use the official art and make a token out of the face area.) I have been pretty good about getting pictures from the artists of the art they made for the book.

I will upload Pics of all the art I got. Here is a link
http://imgur.com/wE9lFaO,JTRtaW6,MD...RQflc2k,GgByTx4]

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Grimpond posted:

MonsterEnvy, it's really frustrating for people in the thread to consistently see you make claims about how the rules work that are quickly proven to be false in every sense of the word. You seem to be ignoring all these responses to your claims that people like AlphaDog are giving you using the actual rules as the book states them. You make your opinion on these incorrect statements and then basically ignore all of the posts giving you evidence to the contrary.

We know you like the game, and that is fine. We get that, and most of us agree that we'd have fun playing with friends! But once again, its really frustrating to see you constantly try to claim the the criticisms being leveled against 5e are false or wrong even when they include the relevant parts of the book that are problematic.

I was not wrong about Greater Restoration. Nor was I wrong about raising them fixing it. You just have to use a higher level bring back the dead spell like Resurrection.

To Aphla Dogs 2nd comment about me defending stuff. I was talking about when I posted the CR List but before the Intellect Devourer.

Anyway lets focus on the cool art and fun stuff like the custom magic items, instead of the stuff the argument that I can't explain very well, cause I am a lovely writer and a much better talker.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Sep 12, 2014

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Strength of Many posted:

I am in the same boat. If its the only D&D edition that's going to see regular play now, well, at least its not Pathfinder. I can handle playing or even running 5e. My attempts at running Pathfinder or 3.5e again had me writing up pages of house rules and then still becoming so infuriated by its mechanics that I gave up and ran 4e instead.

I was much happier with that decision, though I do find 4e fatiguing to run after awhile.

I'll play 5e. I'm not going to play 3.x or Pathfinder though. As far as running a game, I can get a similar experience to 5e out of 2e, and I already know how the game might break and what to do to fix it.

I'm tempted to spend some time looking at what would happen if I ported Advantage (or non stacking +2/+5 major/minor bonuses) back into 2e in place of the many +/- things, but I'd probably be better served by doing it to BECMI.

Grimpond
Dec 24, 2013

Thank god these low level adventurers fighting the brain beast can afford greater restoration and resurrection.

And am I a total loving idiot, or was it not pointed out that greater restoration would not restore a brain, and that resurrection wouldn't work without a brain present?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

MonsterEnvy posted:

I was not wrong about Greater Restoration. Nor was I wrong about raising them fixing it. You just have to use a higher level bring back the dead spell like Resurrection.

You said

MonsterEnvy posted:

Also Recovery from this does not require a 9th level spell. It requires a 5th level spell Greater Restoration. Wish can do it as well, but that is kind of a waste. You must have mistook that the party needs a 9th level cleric or Bard, for needing a 9th level spell.

Greater Restoration doesn't work like that. You were wrong.

You said

MonsterEnvy posted:

But they can always raise you after and that brings back the brain.

But Raise Dead does not work like that, you were wrong.

Resurrection does work like that, but that's not what you said.

You were wrong.

Now you're lying about having been wrong.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Grimpond posted:

Thank god these low level adventurers fighting the brain beast can afford greater restoration and resurrection.

And am I a total loving idiot, or was it not pointed out that greater restoration would not restore a brain, and that resurrection wouldn't work without a brain present?

Greater restoration solves the Int Drain, Resurrection solves the lack of the brain thing once the body dies. No low level adventurers would not have access to those things however. But fighting the brain beasts at low level is pretty unlikely as they are mind flayer dogs.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Sep 12, 2014

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
"Ugh man, Next sucks balls...buuuut it has some pretty pictures and isn't Pathfinder sooooo"

Here, let me help you all struggling with this off the horns of this tricky dilemma.

1). Don't buy, or play, D&D Next.

2). Don't buy, or play, Pathfinder.

3). Buy and play better games instead.

There, problem solved.

Grimpond
Dec 24, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

Greater restoration solves the Int Drain, Resurrection solves the lack of the brain thing once the body dies. No low level adventurers would not have assess to those things however. But fighting the brain beasts at low level is pretty unlikely as they are mind flayer dogs.

Oh my god, no they don't. we are literally quoting rules at you they don't work like that!

Greater Restoration posted:

Greater Restoration
5th-level abjuration
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Touch
Components: V, S, M (diamond dust worth at least 100
gp, which the spell consumes)
Duration: Instantaneous
You imbue a creature you touch with positive energy to
undo a debilitating effect. You can reduce the target’s
exhaustion level by one, or end one of the following
effects on the target:
• One effect that charmed or petrified the target
• One curse, including the target’s attunement to a
cursed magic item
• Any reduction to one of the target’s ability scores
• One effect reducing the target’s hit point maximum

Intelligence DRAIN. DRAIN. not MISSING BRAIN. DRAIN.

Raise Dead posted:

Raise Dead
5th-level necromancy
Casting Time: 1 hour
Components: V, S, M (a diamond worth at least 500 gp,
which the spell consumes)
You return a dead creature you touch to life, provided
that it has been dead no longer than 10 days. If the
creature’s soul is both willing and at liberty to rejoin the
body, the creature returns to life with 1 hit point.
This spell also neutralizes any poisons and cures
nonmagical diseases that affected the creature at the
time it died. This spell doesn’t, however, remove magical
diseases, curses, or similar effects; if these aren’t first
removed prior to casting the spell, they take effect when
the creature returns to life. The spell can’t return an
undead creature to life.
This spell closes all mortal wounds, but it doesn’t
restore missing body parts. If the creature is lacking
body parts or organs integral for its survival—its head,
for instance—the spell automatically fails.

Coming back from the dead is an ordeal. The target
takes a −4 penalty to all attack rolls, saving throws, and
ability checks. Every time the target finishes a long rest,
the penalty is reduced by 1 until it disappears.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Quote's not edit.

Grimpond
Dec 24, 2013

Now, just to be clear, the spell Resurrection totally states that it restores missing body parts, as a level 7 spell, typically out of the price range of low level adventurers.

Resurrection posted:

7th-level necromancy
Components: V, S, M (a diamond worth at least 1,000
You touch a dead creature that has been dead for no
more than a century, that didn’t die of old age, and that
isn’t undead. If its soul is free and willing, the target
returns to life with all its hit points.
This spell neutralizes any poisons and cures normal
diseases afflicting the creature when it died. It doesn’t,
however, remove magical diseases, curses, and the like;
if such effects aren’t removed prior to casting the spell,
they afflict the target on its return to life.
This spell closes all mortal wounds and restores any
missing body parts.

Casting this spell to restore life to a creature that has
been dead for one year or longer taxes you greatly. Until
you finish a long rest, you can’t cast spells again, and
you have disadvantage on all attack rolls, ability checks,
and saving throws.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Grimpond posted:

Oh my god, no they don't. we are literally quoting rules at you they don't work like that!

Intelligence DRAIN. DRAIN. not MISSING BRAIN. DRAIN.

quote:

Resurrection
7th-level necromancy
Components: V, S, M (a diamond worth at least 1,000
You touch a dead creature that has been dead for no
more than a century, that didn’t die of old age, and that
isn’t undead. If its soul is free and willing, the target
returns to life with all its hit points.
This spell neutralizes any poisons and cures normal
diseases afflicting the creature when it died. It doesn’t,
however, remove magical diseases, curses, and the like;
if such effects aren’t removed prior to casting the spell,
they afflict the target on its return to life.
This spell closes all mortal wounds and restores any
missing body parts.
Casting this spell to restore life to a creature that has
been dead for one year or longer taxes you greatly. Until
you finish a long rest, you can’t cast spells again, and
you have disadvantage on all attack rolls, ability checks,
and saving throws.

Grimpond posted:

Now, just to be clear, the spell Resurrection totally states that it restores missing body parts, as a level 7 spell, typically out of the price range of low level adventurers.

Which I just posted after you wrote this. And I just stated that it was out of the league of Low Level Adventuerers. Hell it was the spell I name dropped as the one that solves the 2nd issue.

Cainer
May 8, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

Whatever our opinions are, most of us can agree that the 5e art is pretty cool.

Well except the halflings. Just wow, it was literally the first page I flipped too when I bought the book. What a terrifying first impression. Most of the other stuff is cool beans though, I love the picture of the bard just being awesome.

Grimpond
Dec 24, 2013

For fucks sake, you have also been using the word raise interchangeably with resurrect, which is loving confusing when both of these things have similar but still different effects.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Ok in order to end this once and for all I am going back to the post that started this mess and going through my though process.

Give me a sec to collect the posts.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

Ok in order to end this once and for all everybody shut up for a bit.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Alright, that's long enough. Thread back open!

It would be great if you guys could poo poo up the thread less now. That includes posting about posting and ":words: Now that I've said my piece, let's just drop this!" posts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
What is everyone's guess for the first supplement after the PHB/DMG/MM are out? If that's already common knowledge, then does anyone know what it is?