Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
I can't believe it's not Halo + Diablo + Minecraft + Mass Effect + Civilization + Planescape Torment + Quake 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

a foolish pianist posted:

There's a lot of story stuff, but it's more like Dark Souls, where piecing together the story is the player's job, rather than a bunch of minimovies laying out the story every now and again to break up the action.

Also, the story stuff does pick up a bit once you hit Venus.

I do absolutely love that about the Souls games, but I don't normally expect a deeply interwoven experience between web and game (with healthy teases from the latter) from From like I do with Bungie. I'll keep pushing on if Venus offers more. Thanks for that.

Stux posted:

Uh you can explore freely in patrol, the areas are huge and filled with cool stuff and have areas guarded by ridiculous elites etc to sneak past/come back for later. The moon by itself is cool, it's hollowed out and pretty large from what I've ran about in so far.

The story is just pure cheese and is all the better for it, games that attempt an epic story often end up embarrassingly bad and too convoluted for no reason. I want to shoot things and not have to think too much sometimes.

Uh, it's an empty, lifeless world filled with the same mobs in the same places as any other mission in the game, and that doesn't appeal to me as someone who would rather patrol outside of the same funnels and arenas as the story bits. You can see other stuff, you just can't go down there and are forced to respawn. To recall the Souls analogy, you can more or less go everywhere you can see in those games, and the invisible walls/death pits in Destiny feel oddly last-gen.

I'm not discounting that there isn't some depth in the levels, just that the MMO comparison is hilariously wrong. This is an FPS that mixes other people into your same levels, not one that lets you find them by exploring off the beaten path. In this era of huge, open worlds, Destiny is still a rather boxed-in experience. I'll try exploring the Moon more, though, thanks for the heads-up.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

SamBishop posted:

I do absolutely love that about the Souls games, but I don't normally expect a deeply interwoven experience between web and game (with healthy teases from the latter) from From like I do with Bungie. I'll keep pushing on if Venus offers more. Thanks for that.

Uh, it's an empty, lifeless world filled with the same mobs in the same places as any other mission in the game, and that doesn't appeal to me as someone who would rather patrol outside of the same funnels and arenas as the story bits. You can see other stuff, you just can't go down there and are forced to respawn. To recall the Souls analogy, you can more or less go everywhere you can see in those games, and the invisible walls/death pits in Destiny feel oddly last-gen.

I'm not discounting that there isn't some depth in the levels, just that the MMO comparison is hilariously wrong. This is an FPS that mixes other people into your same levels, not one that lets you find them by exploring off the beaten path. In this era of huge, open worlds, Destiny is still a rather boxed-in experience. I'll try exploring the Moon more, though, thanks for the heads-up.

No, there are lots of areas even on earth that are not used in any missions and are purely there to explore.

No one is saying "it is an MMO", it has features borrowed from MMOs. It was never marketed as a giant free roam MMO with thousands of people in each area, its only ever been worlds shared between a number of players. Again though you can go off the beaten path on every planet and find stuff. Its not as open as an actual MMO but its more open than diablo 3 for example.

You are expecting something the game isn't and never claimed to be, its a diablo 3 style game at its heart with some light open world and social features. Its not meant to be as explorable as the Souls series. With the story, why were you expecting halo 2.0? Yes its sci fi again, but they wanted to move away from halo for a reason and I doubt that the story considerations aren't intentional.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

There is a lot of lore but they don't spoon feed it to you. Read the grimoires they give you and learn about things.

Destiny is loving great!

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

Stux posted:

No, there are lots of areas even on earth that are not used in any missions and are purely there to explore.

No one is saying "it is an MMO", it has features borrowed from MMOs. It was never marketed as a giant free roam MMO with thousands of people in each area, its only ever been worlds shared between a number of players. Again though you can go off the beaten path on every planet and find stuff. Its not as open as an actual MMO but its more open than diablo 3 for example.

You are expecting something the game isn't and never claimed to be, its a diablo 3 style game at its heart with some light open world and social features. Its not meant to be as explorable as the Souls series. With the story, why were you expecting halo 2.0? Yes its sci fi again, but they wanted to move away from halo for a reason and I doubt that the story considerations aren't intentional.

Not at all. I know it isn't an MMO, I was mentioning that as a counter to those that, for some weird reason, thought it might be (seriously, I had to constantly explain to friends that it was multiplayer, and always-online, but it wasn't an MMO). I realize there are areas that you can venture into (just as you can during any mission) that aren't scaled to your level, but it's the same environment even when you're free to roam and effectively pick up one-off missions that are repeated over and over again from beacons.

There's absolutely room to explore, but given the limited breadth of the world, I just expected that there would be more, well, story to scour. Maybe that will change on other planets, but otherwise they want you to go back to the same levels with slightly different goals. For all the time spent on the game, the actual level of exploration is kept painfully low.

Vintersorg posted:

There is a lot of lore but they don't spoon feed it to you. Read the grimoires they give you and learn about things.

Destiny is loving great!

I do want to be clear here: if other people are loving Destiny, that's awesome, and I'm not here to rain on their parade. I'm just pointing out what I dislike about the game I've played so far.

Can someone point me to where in the game I can read all those awesome grimoire pickups? Oh wait, I can't? Because...?

SamBishop fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Sep 12, 2014

Organs
Feb 13, 2014

SamBishop posted:

It's also just a resolution bump on top of a game we could have seen last gen. It's cross-gen, and an in-house effort to make a game for four platforms, so I'm willing to cut them some slack, but I just don't get any of the praise for the visuals. This doesn't anything like what a next-gen game should. The lighting, the textures, the animation, the effects. It feels squarely like a PS3/360 game up-ressed, which it largely is. Maybe the sequel in a few years that ditches the last-gen systems will improve it, but I honestly don't see the appeal. Great skyboxes, boring, lifeless environments.

i think the praise for the visuals stems from enjoyment of the art direction more than technical prowess such as how many polys a model has etc. kinda like how people thought mario galaxy looked amazing even though there were a huge amount of games that were technically superior at the time. destiny is pretty poor from a graphical standpoint but the art direction and skyboxes create some really nice environments imo. you can see how they've evolved from halo reach as well where they started branching out into bigger environments and now they've taken that even further

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

Organs posted:

i think the praise for the visuals stems from enjoyment of the art direction more than technical prowess such as how many polys a model has etc. kinda like how people thought mario galaxy looked amazing even though there were a huge amount of games that were technically superior at the time. destiny is pretty poor from a graphical standpoint but the art direction and skyboxes create some really nice environments imo. you can see how they've evolved from halo reach as well where they started branching out into bigger environments and now they've taken that even further

That's actually a good point. I thought Mario Galaxy looked unbelievable given the tech, but others didn't see it. I'm just on the flip side of that, I guess. Maybe I need to stop thinking all next-gen games should have some form of photo-realism (lighting, models, animation). This is the first gen where I think some one of those might actually happen. I'll try to calm that, thanks for the the heads-up.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

This is the first time I've seen SamBishop as the person who ISN'T praising a game.

I really didn't like the beta too much, but I'm starting to waver on the full version reading all these people defending Destiny. I suppose it has to at least a few nights from the Redbox.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Oxxidation posted:

The Halo series had what was simultaneously the most impenetrable and the most boring plot of any game I've played. I doubt there's going to be any gold hidden in them thar hills.

Destiny looks less like a game and more like a puddle-shallow marketing experiment where you get to shoot things now and again.

Not going to lie, I found Halo 2's narrative oddly compelling. Its just such an odd game to me.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Man Diablo 3 gets a lot cooler once you read up on how to use gems properly and or use the stash chest to give your lower level character some sweet high value gems.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Destiny has that same weird thing that Halo had where I want to explore the map even though I know there is nothing there. I'm jumping around trying to go places I know I'm not allowed and for some reason enjoying it.
I don't even do this in Elder Scrolls games but for some reason I do it in Bungie games.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Stux posted:

No one is saying "it is an MMO",

Haha I beg to differ. That was a standard line in the Destiny thread for a few pages at least.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SamBishop posted:

See, that's probably why I just don't get it. Diablo III is the exact same sense of emptiness in terms of gameplay, but at least Blizzard goes overboard with optional (and sometimes not) exposition. They are at least building out this world that you're walking into, and had you not played the games in the past, you'd at least have a sense of what they're trying to do.

Yes, but all of Diablo 3's writing was atrocious. Like atrociously awful and got in the way and made me hate it every time the dialogue started. For all of Destiny's lame inane barely-there plot, it's infinitely superior to bad obtrusive plot.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.
I don't believe that I beat Destiny. Stomped out the Vex but, really, c'mon that ending just, fuicking, gently caress. I can't believe it. It's so drat short and the plot just feels there.

I'm speechless.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

neetengie posted:

I don't believe that I beat Destiny. Stomped out the Vex but, really, c'mon that ending just, fuicking, gently caress. I can't believe it. It's so drat short and the plot just feels there.

I'm speechless.

The plot is entirely perfunctory. Most of the game doesn't even open up until you hit 20. (Although mercifully this is trimmed on subsequent characters who get access to poo poo earlier than on your first time through.) This isn't a "you shouldn't judge it" thing, I'm just saying that finishing the story isn't really the same as completing the game.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

The plot is entirely perfunctory. Most of the game doesn't even open up until you hit 20. (Although mercifully this is trimmed on subsequent characters who get access to poo poo earlier than on your first time through.) This isn't a "you shouldn't judge it" thing, I'm just saying that finishing the story isn't really the same as completing the game.
I just really like good stories in muh games. That's why I mostly stick to RPGs I guess. Didn't expect much from this game but it still surprised me.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

neetengie posted:

I just really like good stories in muh games. That's why I mostly stick to RPGs I guess. Didn't expect much from this game but it still surprised me.

Yeah, I can agree with that. Destiny's plot (or lack thereof) is really bewildering.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I guess its the complete opposite of PSO2, which makes you do an hour or two worth of grinding stuff between each tiny bit of story stuff, such that I am 120 hours in and not a third of the way through it yet (given that I spent a lot of time completely ignoring it anyway).

I still can't tell how Warframe is in that respect; I have hardly gotten anywhere in it.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
To me Destiny feels like they ran out of time, panicked and had to release something.

I'm finding it really fun but the entire presentation is so incompetent it's kind of mind-boggling.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

I think I need to post a retraction.

Earlier in this thread I may have insinuated that a certain Bungie game did not have explodable containers. After playing past the first planet I can confirm that it does indeed have things that you shoot and they blow up and I can officially say that it is not Pure Garbage but is in fact a good and fun game.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

destiny has so many different things going on they had to gate all the content behind levels to keep players from getting overloaded. They went too far though and turned it into a big slow turd for the first couple days you play.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Fellatio del Toro posted:

I think I need to post a retraction.

Earlier in this thread I may have insinuated that a certain Bungie game did not have explodable containers. After playing past the first planet I can confirm that it does indeed have things that you shoot and they blow up and I can officially say that it is not Pure Garbage but is in fact a good and fun game.

It has exploding cubes. That is some bullshit right there.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Real hurthling! posted:

destiny has so many different things going on they had to gate all the content behind levels to keep players from getting overloaded. They went too far though and turned it into a big slow turd for the first couple days you play.

And yet you're exposed to the many currencies it has if you do the least bit of vendor browsing.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Rinkles posted:

The story is the one thing I wouldn't bring up when recommending First Light. It was tolerable at best (imo ofc).

I was really disappointed that it was a prequel, honestly, because we already had the Cliff's Notes version of Fetch's past and while I enjoyed her as a character, I didn't really give a poo poo about the fleshing out that they did. I much would have rather had an Infamous 1.5 using her perspective to give us a glimpse of the future.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

What is the best looking good game in PS4? Destiny looks pretty good to me, but I could see how it would be limited in scale for example because of stupid last gen and it's stupid stupid memory constraints.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

fozzy fosbourne posted:

What is the best looking good game in PS4? Destiny looks pretty good to me, but I could see how it would be limited in scale for example because of stupid last gen and it's stupid stupid memory constraints.

Probably Infamous. Maybe Drive Club when it hits. There are no real visual wowing next-gen games yet really.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

fozzy fosbourne posted:

MGS5 Ground Zeroes or Infamous Second Son, maybe?

I played the Destiny alpha and beta and thought certain parts of that game looked great, but overall it didn't look as good as either of those 2 titles.

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.
How do I enable sidetone on my gold headset? Cycling through the modes with the mute button makes no difference. Is there an OS setting I'm missing?

more like dICK fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Sep 12, 2014

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

MGS5 Ground Zeroes or Infamous Second Son, maybe?

I played the Destiny alpha and beta and thought certain parts of that game looked great, but overall it didn't look as good as either of those 2 titles.

Its gotta be Infamous. Ground Zeroes becomes a lot less impressive the more you play and closer you look at it. poo poo will materialize and dematerialize in front of you.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

blackguy32 posted:

Its gotta be Infamous. Ground Zeroes becomes a lot less impressive the more you play and closer you look at it. poo poo will materialize and dematerialize in front of you.
I've heard that a few times in this thread but I don't remember ever seeing that happen when I played it, and I played it for like 15 hours or so.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

blackguy32 posted:

Never mind the polycount on most objects.

D O R K Y
Sep 1, 2001

fozzy fosbourne posted:

P.T.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I've heard that a few times in this thread but I don't remember ever seeing that happen when I played it, and I played it for like 15 hours or so.

Its really noticeable when you zoom in with binoculars and when people are driving around. You start to see vegetation disappear and boxes appear and stuff like that.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Oh yeah, PT looks really loving good. That game has some of the most realistic lighting of any game I've ever played.

justincredible
Mar 26, 2014

just too incredible
what does everyone think of destiny? Ive watched videos but im not sure if i want to buy it or not.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

justincredible posted:

what does everyone think of destiny? Ive watched videos but im not sure if i want to buy it or not.
Also, I guess reviews are still embargoed (not that I'm expecting to get much out of them). I can't remember a game that has had reviews embargoed this far into its release.

edit: not entirely I guess, but the big ones haven't done their thing yet. When Bungie or Activision say "jump", most game review sites say "ok".

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Sep 12, 2014

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

ImpAtom posted:

Probably Infamous. Maybe Drive Club when it hits. There are no real visual wowing next-gen games yet really.

I thought Killzone looked really good in places. Game itself is meh, but visuals rocked on a few initial levels.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

justincredible posted:

I'd say this review encapsulates what the game is imo. I think it's more of a 65/100 on a rating though, but it's just a safe game. It's alright, pushes no boundaries, doesn't take risks, but stays safe with what's been well received over the years.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

Also, I guess reviews are still embargoed (not that I'm expecting to get much out of them). I can't remember a game that has had reviews embargoed this far into its release.

edit: not entirely I guess, but the big ones haven't done their thing yet. When Bungie or Activision say "jump", most game review sites say "ok".

Reviews are not embargoed. Reviewers couldn't start the game until the servers were up so it is being slower for most reviewers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XenoCrab
Mar 30, 2012

XenoCrab is the least important character in the Alien movie franchise. He's not even in the top ten characters.

justincredible posted:

I've played about 10 hours so far (level 16 and I just got to Venus) and I like it. I find the shooting/combat really fun, I like the weird MMO-ish stuff even though I mostly hate MMOs, the competitive multiplayer is good (if nothing groundbreaking), and I think it looks and sounds really good. I also like the fact that loot isn't super common (though playing missions on Hard seems to give a pretty big boost to the amount/quality of loot), since the constant piles of loot in Diablo 3 just make me tired. Having said all that I think most of the criticism of the game is reasonable and justified, but it's really a personal preference thing whether or not those issues are enough to keep the game from being fun. I do think some people are being let down more by their expectations rather than the game itself though.

• Locked thread