Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Stygian
Feb 7, 2007

Exeggutor?

Thumposaurus posted:

How about a thumbnail inlaid(encased?) in a headstock?
http://www.guitarworld.com/randy-rhoads-thumbs

Thumbnail notwithstanding, Perry Ormsby makes loving amazing guitars - without a doubt one of the best custom luthiers in the world at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

I've been told that my guitars must be poo poo because "you can't get a good guitar for under £700". Dumb but true.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

The Stygian posted:

Thumbnail notwithstanding, Perry Ormsby makes loving amazing guitars - without a doubt one of the best custom luthiers in the world at the moment.

Thumbnail and luthier skills notwithstanding, that bass is ugly as gently caress.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

White Dog Eggs posted:

I've been told that my guitars must be poo poo because "you can't get a good guitar for under £700". Dumb but true.

An electric guitar is just a slab of wood with holes drilled into it that has a bunch of plastic and metal bits screwed into it. The electronics consist of a simple circuit made out of cheap common components. So much of it can be automated by computer these days that unless you're getting something custom that's 100% done by hand it's no more difficult to CNC up a cheap Squier than a top of the line Fender USA guitar - the higher manufacturing cost is mostly concentrated in the Labor, Quality control, and higher quality metals/woods used.

I guarantee you the Squier CV series is high enough quality to bear the Fender logo, but it won't because they'd have to jack the price up to avoid losing "prestige" despite the fact that MIM Fenders are only marginally better. Can't have bargain priced Fenders that are made in China/Indonesia running around, after all.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

Cobalt60 posted:

Thumbnail and luthier skills notwithstanding, that bass is ugly as gently caress.

I cannot stand quilted maple, it's horrible to work with, expensive and everyone wants it so I end up using it and I hate hate hate hate hate hate it. When it's done right it does have an awesome 3d quality to it, but it's overdone. I prefer spalted woods myself.

Zonekeeper posted:

An electric guitar is just a slab of wood with holes drilled into it that has a bunch of plastic and metal bits screwed into it. The electronics consist of a simple circuit made out of cheap common components. So much of it can be automated by computer these days that unless you're getting something custom that's 100% done by hand it's no more difficult to CNC up a cheap Squier than a top of the line Fender USA guitar - the higher manufacturing cost is mostly concentrated in the Labor, Quality control, and higher quality metals/woods used.

I guarantee you the Squier CV series is high enough quality to bear the Fender logo, but it won't because they'd have to jack the price up to avoid losing "prestige" despite the fact that MIM Fenders are only marginally better. Can't have bargain priced Fenders that are made in China/Indonesia running around, after all.

Japan was making such good Squiers in the 80's that they were as good as, if not better than American Fenders. This is why Fender Japan exists now.

Funny thing about Gibsons is that a lot of my money comes from doing fret-jobs on brand new Les Pauls/SG's, some of them leave the factory in an apalling state. You can literally get Chinese fakes that are better quality for a LOT less money.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

Zonekeeper posted:

I'm pretty sure that either the Pawn Shop or Modern Player series are made in the same factory as the CV line and are accordingly marked up based on the headstock logo.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

I only like acoustics that are quadruple cutaway. WHITE DOG EGGS HELP

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

I have a Gibson SG Special that I bought years and years ago for cheap because they were discontinuing that color (wtf?) and I like the feel and sound of it but I'm scared everybody will make fun of me for having a Gibson

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

tacodaemon posted:

I have a Gibson SG Special that I bought years and years ago for cheap because they were discontinuing that color (wtf?) and I like the feel and sound of it but I'm scared everybody will make fun of me for having a Gibson

There's no shame in playing a Gibson, just in having paid $Gibson for it

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

This 6-Year-Old Guitarist Is Adorable, But My Solos Are Amazing
(Clickhole video)

tacodaemon fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Sep 12, 2014

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

tacodaemon posted:

There is nothing wrong with owning Gibsons, it is just the company is twats and the 'only gibson' fan people are insufferable.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

tacodaemon posted:

Play well and nobody will give a poo poo.

I've got a Les Paul Standard I picked up back in the late '90s. I like the neck well enough, not counting the nitro finish---I like nitro okay for bodies, but don't care for it on necks. The tuners feel a little finicky for a `prestige' instrument, even a mass-produced one. I loving swear the G tuner is possessed or some poo poo. The neck pickup (a 490) is okay, but bridge ain't so great.

I mean it's a totally okay guitar and all that, but it ain't exactly ~*the Legend*~ or whatever the gently caress. And with the new pricing? Fuuuuuuck. For four grand I rather buy ten Squiers. Or, you know, one Squier and use the rest on hookers and blow.

White Dog Eggs posted:

Japan was making such good Squiers in the 80's that they were as good as, if not better than American Fenders. This is why Fender Japan exists now.
The neck and most of the hardware on my '80s Squier Strat is top notch, but I'm not crazy about the basswood body. I think about half the pickguard holes are stripped and I'm pretty sure all of the trem cavity ones are. And the pickups are merely okay. Like I replaced them with some cheapass GFS pickups and it was a definite improvement.

But yeah, if the modern Squiers had equivalently good necks I'd buy a couple just for the necks.

W424
Oct 21, 2010
Gibsons a cool company http://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Gibson-Guitar-Reviews-E6869.htm
Maybe gonna scrape Gibson off the headstock and put a Epiphone decal on to lessen the shame on my sg.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

tacodaemon posted:

did you put a nailbomb in it yet

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Are Gibson trying to set a record for longest loving train wreck ever? How are they still surviving?

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
rich getting richer

luxury items and super cheap crap are the two big growth areas for almost every consumer good

Fax Sender
Aug 11, 2013

kiss my ass
are stetsbars good

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
In the HBO show Silicon Valley Gibsons are the mark of duchebags. Actually guitars are in general but they are all Gibsons.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
So my 2014 satin LPJ is "limited edition" now. :v:

I wonder how many satin finished guitars actually sold in the two year run of SGJs and LPJs.

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

"This is not only a security risk but we occasionally get pigeons roosting in the space as a result."
I can't wait for the lore to develop about which color of LP Studio sounds best.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

Ferrous Wheel posted:

I can't wait for the lore to develop about which color of LP Studio sounds best.

I seriously had no idea about 'Nitro is best for tone' before this thread, somehow I'd managed to avoid that nonsense. It doesn't even make sense, even it nitro 'let's the wood breathe' that just means it's letting in moisture, which you really, really don't want. There's a reason they stopped using it on cars, y'know?

Put another (hopefully final) layer of clear-coat over the "tone" today, should be able to get back to business soon. The electronics for this thing is giving me such a colossal headache.

e: Did anyone want to submit some sort of a Slenderman/Cthulu thing? Future guitar owner ionstorm wanted one and honestly if it's just left to me I'll probably do something with googly eyes because I have a mental age of 10.

Barnaby Rudge fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Sep 12, 2014

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Fax Sender posted:

are stetsbars good

A buddy of mine has one on his guitar. Seems nice enough. Kinda expensive and goofy looking though.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

Dirt posted:

A buddy of mine has one on his guitar. Seems nice enough. Kinda expensive and goofy looking though.

£175, jesus.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Ferrous Wheel posted:

it's commonly known that part of adam jones' tone is the mysterious qualities a silverburst finish imbues upon a les paul and not the fact he uses super sick amps

Fax Sender
Aug 11, 2013

kiss my ass
what would do what a stetsbar does (be a trem without any routing) that isn't a bigsby and doesn't cost me just about as much as the rest of the parts for a stupid guitar (i am at a loss). everything is expensive.

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

"This is not only a security risk but we occasionally get pigeons roosting in the space as a result."

Wikipedia posted:

Another of his Silverbursts is a 1981 model and (as described by Jones himself in an interview in 2001 with Australian Guitar magazine) has an unsightly screw in it that Jones will not remove because doing so may hurt the unique tone of the guitar.

<snip>

After making these Silverburst Les Pauls in the late seventies and early eighties, Gibson discontinued using this finish after complaints about the metal flaking changing the tone of the guitar. Jones says that this altered tone is part of the draw for him. In a March 1994 interview with Guitar School magazine, Adam states: "I use Gibson guitars; I prefer the Les Paul Custom. It's a black guitar with a greenish burst in the middle. They only made them for two or three years. I guess a lot of people complained that the metallic finish was affecting the sound. That's exactly why I like playing it. I have Seymour Duncan pickups, and I can't get the same sound with any other guitar, not even another Gibson, without that finish on it. I have five of them. I'd buy another if I could find one".

Ferrous Wheel fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Sep 12, 2014

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

Fax Sender posted:

what would do what a stetsbar does (be a trem without any routing) that isn't a bigsby and doesn't cost me just about as much as the rest of the parts for a stupid guitar (i am at a loss). everything is expensive.

Honestly, most stuff like that is stupidly over-priced :(. Someone here may know of something though, I don't really see much exotic hardware.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

Tone metallic finish. Dear god.

Barnaby Rudge fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Sep 12, 2014

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

Granted he may be bullshitting, but there's a kind of musical Poe's Law in effect.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

I'm glad silverburst seems to be making a comeback as I really dig them. :shobon:

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Fax Sender posted:

Buy a Floyd, spend a weekend installing the thing and be done with it. Trust me. Its really, really fun spending two hours tuning the thing every time the temperature moves one degree in the house. REALLY loving FUN. I'm not sure what bounces more; A stripper's plastic beach balls or my intonation every time the humidity changes. gently caress living by a river and owning several guitars with floating bridges.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Fax Sender posted:

Tremolo's are stupid and useless unless you are Jeff Beck.

Are you Jeff Beck? No? Then don't ruin your guitar routing it for a tremolo. Setsbar is the only non-routing option I know of. So you would probably have to route it.

Just buy a guitar with a floyd rose setup if you want to be a whammy bar superstar.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

BWWWEEEEEOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWW

Oscar Romeo Romeo fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Sep 13, 2014

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Zonekeeper posted:

I guarantee you the Squier CV series is high enough quality to bear the Fender logo

They already do.

Fender Modern Player.

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

Fax Sender, what kind of bridge does your guitar currently have? There are a few cheap flat mount options, though the Stetsbar probably works better (one would hope at least). Guitar Fetish offers a fake Bigsby that might work okay. There's also a few trems designed to fit on stop tail posts if that's what you have, but they're usually expensive and I rarely see them used which makes me think they're not very good.

gently caress the haters, being able to add little wobbles to the occasional phrase is a basic human right. I hope you're planning to set up the whole guitar accordingly though, particularly the nut.

Fax Sender
Aug 11, 2013

kiss my ass

Dirt posted:

Are you Jeff Beck? No? Then don't ruin your guitar routing it for a tremolo. Setsbar is the only non-routing option I know of. So you would probably have to route it.

Just buy a guitar with a floyd rose setup if you want to be a whammy bar superstar.

i am looking for more of a jangly surf type deal. i dont care about divebombs or anything like that. i guess i could get a cheap strat or something

Ferrous Wheel posted:

Fax Sender, what kind of bridge does your guitar currently have? There are a few cheap flat mount options, though the Stetsbar probably works better (one would hope at least). Guitar Fetish offers a fake Bigsby that might work okay. There's also a few trems designed to fit on stop tail posts if that's what you have, but they're usually expensive and I rarely see them used which makes me think they're not very good.

gently caress the haters, being able to add little wobbles to the occasional phrase is a basic human right. I hope you're planning to set up the whole guitar accordingly though, particularly the nut.

im building a tele and also have an old epiphone les paul. i kinda want to know all my options because i already have the vague idea that when the partscaster is done i might want to start another project, and maybe that'll be the one that gets a trem of some type, if i don't slap one on what i've already got. i don't think the epiphone is worth putting any money into, but maybe the tele.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Dirt posted:

Bigsby b5/b7 with a vibramate. Bigsby b3. Bigsby b3 with a townerbar.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
A Fender Offset vibrato with a solid bridge (and I'm including a well set-up standard bridge here too) is probably the single best bridge for those who don't need 'dive bomb' amounts of room. I rarely ever go out of time more often than I do on my other hardtails.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

We must never speak of this!

Allen Wren posted:

gently caress this guy. Mostly on general principle, but still. gently caress that box.

I spent this morning setting up one of his gigs in a theatre. He has a lot of Marshall stuff, I counted 5 amplifiers alone (2 might have been spares). Mostly JCM800's and TSLs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

Maximum Sexy Pigeon posted:

I spent this morning setting up one of his gigs in a theatre. He has a lot of Marshall stuff, I counted 5 amplifiers alone (2 might have been spares). Mostly JCM800's and TSLs.

you rigged some of the electrics to short and kill him, right?

• Locked thread