Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I think the US could much more easily transition to a Year/Month/Day system, than transition to the Day/Month/Year system. Saying "September Twelfth" and writing "9/12" is extremely fundamental and reflexive, but we could probably learn to tack the year on at the beginning instead of at the end, if it really bothers people from other countries that it isn't in a size-sorted order. (It's not actually the "in order" thing that bothers you, though, it's just the fact that it's different than you're used to.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
^^ It doesn't bother me, I was just observing that it's the worst system of them all. And I have never seen anybody lobbying for a change of US timekeeping away from M/D/Y.

Randallteal posted:

In Day-Month-Year countries, when you guys pronounce a date out loud, do you always say "twelfth of September"? Just curious. It would make sense that you would never say "September twelfth," but it's hard for me to imagine.

As in most things where the USA is all by itself (Fahrenheit, Imperial etc.), you still see dates written the other way pretty often here I find, or written both ways.

In German, we call 9/11 "Elfter September", so eleventh September.

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Sep 12, 2014

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
just do what feels right man. It's all good.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I grew up being taught MM/DD/YY in elementary school but I've long given that up since it's terrible. I still do 'Month Day, Year' if writing out formally, but big-endian is where it's at.

YYYY/MM/DD is bulletproof for millennia.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Jehde posted:

I grew up being taught MM/DD/YY in elementary school but I've long given that up since it's terrible. I still do 'Month Day, Year' if writing out formally, but big-endian is where it's at.

YYYY/MM/DD is bulletproof for millennia.

And lexicographic sorting conveniently sorts dates temporally too. There is pretty much no reason to not go YYYY-MM-DD.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

My Imaginary GF posted:

If everyone used our system, it would be universally understood that all dates are reported as month-day-year. In fact, thats how all official communications with American government must be conducted. Don't want to? Don't conduct business with US.

Why do Americans get so defensive about stuff like the metric system or this.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

khwarezm posted:

'Hey, when was the last time you were at the gym?'

'Oh, about 2014 August twelfth.'

Sounds a bit clunky, don't it?

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

My Imaginary GF posted:

Yeah that's why no one says it like that.

News flash people speak and write differently.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

My Imaginary GF posted:

Well in your example I would say twelfth of August, 2014 (DMY!)and it would be perfectly natural for other people where I came from :shrug:

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Phlegmish posted:

I had heard about the successful revival of Welsh, but according to the map it's still in decline. But maybe it's just due to old Welsh speakers dying off and no longer compensating for Anglicized boomers or something.

For a language to effectively survive in today's world, it needs to be dominant or at least present in its area's administration, media and/or educational system. I'm not sure to what extent that's the case in Wales. In any case, Irish is doomed to irrelevance unless the government is willing to take radical, Israel-style measures. Individual people, no matter how nationalistic, are not going to switch to speaking an unfamiliar language unless they are either somehow forced to by their environment or they perceive it as having some kind of sociological advantage. Often both mechanisms are simultaneously are at play, as in 19th-century Brussels.

One thing I've noticed with Welsh people is how many of us (both welsh and non-welsh speaking) watched welsh language TV and listened to welsh radio growing up. I think S4C and BBC Radio Cymru have had a huge impact in keeping the language going. S4C especially has had a lot of good children's programming and sports which means a it reaches an audience that might otherwise be missed.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I've always assumed, as an American, they we write the date the way we do because the year isn't really important when using dates in day to day life. A majority of the time you'll be talking about something that is less than a year away. So instead of using YMD we just move the year after the day so it can be dropped and dates just written as 9/12 without any confusion.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

If that's the case then why not write 12/9?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

a pipe smoking dog posted:

One thing I've noticed with Welsh people is how many of us (both welsh and non-welsh speaking) watched welsh language TV and listened to welsh radio growing up. I think S4C and BBC Radio Cymru have had a huge impact in keeping the language going. S4C especially has had a lot of good children's programming and sports which means a it reaches an audience that might otherwise be missed.

Why would a person that cannot understand Welsh listen to Welsh radio?

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Torrannor posted:

It's a nice background noise to avoid nodding off while driving?

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

Torrannor posted:

He said Welsh-speaking, I'm sure many people who couldn't produce a novel in Welsh can listen to someone read one in Welsh.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Torrannor posted:

There were some good local music shows.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I think the worst one would actually be DYM.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

khwarezm posted:

We always end up the only ones on the map to do things a certain way and then everyone calls us funny for it. :(

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

khwarezm posted:

Because people are attached to certain practices in a sentimental way but lack any real justification or reason for clinging to them. Also Americans are very used to the notion that America is better than other countries in every way, and the imperial system is objectively inferior to metric even ignoring the fact that we're the lone holdout. As to the dates thing, it doesn't really matter which way you do it but personally I found that DD/MM/YYYY always made more sense to me.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past
Have there been any massive gently caress ups because of the different date-writing systems before? Have important people shown up to a meeting on the wrong date and such? I know Celcius/Fahrenheit definitely has lead to some big mistakes in the past.

I like to just use the first three letters of the month instead of a number to make it unambiguous. And when it comes to file and folder names it's always YYYYMMDD for sorting purposes.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

sweek0 posted:

Have there been any massive gently caress ups because of the different date-writing systems before? Have important people shown up to a meeting on the wrong date and such? I know Celcius/Fahrenheit definitely has lead to some big mistakes in the past.

I like to just use the first three letters of the month instead of a number to make it unambiguous. And when it comes to file and folder names it's always YYYYMMDD for sorting purposes.

Well, in 1999 there was a Mars Orbiter that cratered into the ground because of software conficts where one program expected meters and the other one expected feet.

Wikipedia posted:

The primary cause of this discrepancy was that one piece of ground software produced results in a United States customary unit ("English"), while a second system that used those results expected them to be in metric units. Software that calculated the total impulse produced by thruster firings calculated results in pound-seconds. The trajectory calculation used these results to correct the predicted position of the spacecraft for the effects of thruster firings. This software expected its inputs to be in newton-seconds.[16]

The discrepancy between calculated and measured position, resulting in the discrepancy between desired and actual orbit insertion altitude, had been noticed earlier by at least two navigators, whose concerns were dismissed. A meeting of trajectory software engineers, trajectory software operators (navigators), propulsion engineers, and managers, was convened to consider the possibility of executing Trajectory Correction Maneuver-5, which was in the schedule. Attendees of the meeting recall an agreement to conduct TCM-5, but it was ultimately not done.

So yeah, we've wrecked millions of dollars worth of poo poo because we can't be assed to switch to the metric system.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Boiled Water posted:

If that's the case then why not write 12/9?

Because the majority of the time, we vocalize dates like "September 12th" rather than "The 12th of September" or whatever. So MDY matches the order in which we actually say the dates. In languages like Spanish where dates are almost always vocalized Day-Month, DMY is the most logical system, but in the US we could have gone either way. I just write out the month when I can to avoid ambiguity, at any rate.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
So how do the Brits say it when they use D/M/Y?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Pakled posted:

Because the majority of the time, we vocalize dates like "September 12th" rather than "The 12th of September" or whatever. So MDY matches the order in which we actually say the dates. In languages like Spanish where dates are almost always vocalized Day-Month, DMY is the most logical system, but in the US we could have gone either way. I just write out the month when I can to avoid ambiguity, at any rate.

We really couldn't have. We were a nation founded through smuggling financing and with a major shipping industry; we had to know the month when to expect an arrival, and to discount the ship if it was over a month rate because sometimes Neptune sends a white whale after your rum-laden hold.

Tl:dr: at founding, the months matter more for precision than days in our major commercial industries.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Torrannor posted:

So how do the Brits say it when they use D/M/Y?

Just something like 'the 17th of August, 2015'. We'd also recognise 'August the 17th, 2015', because we're aware that things don't have to be said as they're written. So we could also say 'in 2015, on the 17th of August'. It's written DMY because there's a logical progression in scale.

Remember, remember!
The fifth of November,
The Gunpowder treason and plot;
I know of no reason
Why the Gunpowder treason
Should ever be forgot!

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

My Imaginary GF posted:

We really couldn't have. We were a nation founded through smuggling financing and with a major shipping industry; we had to know the month when to expect an arrival, and to discount the ship if it was over a month rate because sometimes Neptune sends a white whale after your rum-laden hold.

Tl:dr: at founding, the months matter more for precision than days in our major commercial industries.

Just in general months matter more than days because it tells you what season you're in.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

computer parts posted:

Just in general months matter more than days because it tells you what season you're in.

Yup.

'The British are coming! The British are coming!'

'When?'

'Oh, about the end of October, once harvest season is finishing up.'

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

My Imaginary GF posted:

Yup.

'The British are coming! The British are coming!'

'When?'

'Oh, about the end of October, once harvest season is finishing up.'

I'd think the correct answer would be "from Boston".

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

computer parts posted:

I'd think the correct answer would be "from Boston".

They came back. Technically, everyone was British English during the Revolution. The British only came when their empire struck back.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Seriously anytime people bring this poo poo up just remember: America won. We can write the dates/measure things/spell words however we like.

edit:

A map of where England's opinion matters. (Blue = very much/yellow = a little/light blue = basically the gospel)

Peanut President fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Sep 12, 2014

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
Today is 09/12/2014.

That's progression from smallest to largest. :colbert:

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Peanut President posted:

Seriously anytime people bring this poo poo up just remember: America won. We can write the dates/measure things/spell words however we like.

edit:

A map of where England's opinion matters. (Blue = very much/yellow = a little/light blue = basically the gospel)

Some would contend Scotland should be made grey.

made of bees
May 21, 2013
You forgot green, Mr. Carter.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mike the TV posted:

Today is 09/12/2014.

That's progression from smallest to largest. :colbert:

Actually it's Elul 17, 5774. :jewish:

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Phlegmish posted:

I had heard about the successful revival of Welsh, but according to the map it's still in decline. But maybe it's just due to old Welsh speakers dying off and no longer compensating for Anglicized boomers or something.

For a language to effectively survive in today's world, it needs to be dominant or at least present in its area's administration, media and/or educational system. I'm not sure to what extent that's the case in Wales. In any case, Irish is doomed to irrelevance unless the government is willing to take radical, Israel-style measures. Individual people, no matter how nationalistic, are not going to switch to speaking an unfamiliar language unless they are either somehow forced to by their environment or they perceive it as having some kind of sociological advantage. Often both mechanisms are simultaneously are at play, as in 19th-century Brussels.

It's in decline primarily due to English migration, but erosion by the culturally dominant English is also a major factor. If you break it down by demographic, though, you can see how effective the government has been in revival with their bilingual schooling. The overall population number is around 20%, but the 5-15 age group is around 40%. It's been effective enough that kids from English speaking homes still use Welsh more than 20% of the time.

My sister and her English husband live in rural Gwynedd County, which has the highest percentage of Welsh speakers, and most everything is done in Welsh. Schools and government are largely bilingual, maybe even with a lean towards mostly Welsh. They can obviously still get things done in English, but when she's doing things for the school/community she has to have a Welsh friend translate all notices into Welsh for the parents who don't do English.

There is actually a lot of nationalism in parts of Wales, it just doesn't get as much press as Scottish or Irish nationalism, maybe because the Welsh have been under England's thumb for so long. If you drive into NW Wales you can see conservative landowners put some friendly notices up for the English.

edit: can't resist slipping in a bit of Jimmy Carr https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkXEfJK4No4

Tuxedo Gin fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Sep 12, 2014

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
You're all wrong its 26 Fructidor 222 :colbert:

made of bees
May 21, 2013

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Europe's oldest indigenous language

uh wouldn't that be Basque?
:goonsay:

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

made of bees posted:

Uh, I think you mean the unknown Neanderthal tongue? Bit extant, definitely the oldest known language spoken in Europe. Us humans just hosed our way in and outfucked with obsidian tips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

made of bees posted:

Naturally. Don't tell that to right wing Welsh sheep farmers, though.