Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Spinning Mana Arrow got enhanced by the 'proper' magic arrow.

It's a new separate spell.

Yeah, with the high arrow count and the skill referencing his existing "Gamer Style" spinning magic arrow, it seemed like they just combined. Looks like the skills he comes up with are equal to ones he could buy online, which is good for him to know and was the whole reason he bought that skill in the first place.

It doesn't look like he bought the European-style mana-shield (take damage to mp) though, so that's a pretty big weakness in his defense right now. It's definitely sick that he can cast all his buff spells, wait a minute to recover mp, then turn on all his "toggle" skills like mana shield and have hp regen and bronze skin that can make you semi bulletproof for 29 minutes.

Jee-Han is going to be doing prep-time shenanigans that put Batman to shame soon. I also hope he unlocks a new dungeon type and goes to grind there for awhile, if we're going to get more grinding (and of course we're getting grinding). He can get some really valuable and unique items from killing monsters, especially bosses, and I want to see him steamrolling mobs with all his buffs and bullshit going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
I like how every spell description rubs how he's been effectively rediscovering the wheel on his own into his face. Not that he's going to take the hint.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Desuwa posted:

I like how every spell description rubs how he's been effectively rediscovering the wheel on his own into his face. Not that he's going to take the hint.

Well in his defense, this poo poo's expensive. It wasn't an option at the start.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Dumbshit refuses to buff Wisdom, the universe will remind him he's an idiot any chance it gets.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
He hasn't even gone past the tip of the iceberg yet! There's still meta-spells and skills out there that'll really start letting him snowball. Things like "You gain double XP for the next X minutes" or "Spells you cast cost X% less MP", "Interrupt your opponent's next action" or "Your crafting skill is X% better for the next Y minutes".

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
http://ihititwithmyaxe.tumblr.com/post/22331104288/breaking-d-d-3-5-the-locate-city-nuke

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

DrSunshine posted:

"Your crafting skill is X% better for the next Y minutes".

And then he'll go the Elder Scrolls route.

He's already achieved C.H.I.M.!

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
I don't think anything is ever going to happen in this series. It's gonna be like, a metaphor for endless grinding

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Boogaleeboo posted:

Dumbshit refuses to buff Wisdom, the universe will remind him he's an idiot any chance it gets.

Only thing a mage needs wisdom for is if he casts a wish spell so he's wise enough not to wish something that has the monkeys paw effect. He just needs to be wise enough to not do wishes like that and he's fine. Learn to min max bro.

Exotria
Feb 21, 2011

Iretep posted:

Only thing a mage needs wisdom for is if he casts a wish spell so he's wise enough not to wish something that has the monkeys paw effect. He just needs to be wise enough to not do wishes like that and he's fine. Learn to min max bro.

He could probably get rid of a monkey's paw effect with Yunhon Soul Recovery. He can just solve bad decisions with grinding. Kind of like how you can powerlevel to defeat bosses with a bad build.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

Law Cheetah posted:

I don't think anything is ever going to happen in this series. It's gonna be like, a metaphor for endless grinding

Remember the date issue. Stuff happened and it was excellent. I expect the pacing of this comic will be a lot like the pacing of an MMO. Long periods of grinding and minmaxing punctuated by brief, explosive, satisfying bursts of plot.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
I am fully convinced that the author is just making the story up as he goes and has no idea where he wants it to go next and just makes grinding happen in the meanwhile.

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010
I thought it was common practice for RPG players to do every single possible subplot and sidequest before advancing the main story. That's what's happening here.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Some games have time limits so it's harder to do all side quests. I imagine real life is one of those games.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
We really need a dating sim/Persona arc at his high school. Maybe after he takes the exams that are always 2 days into the future and aces them he becomes popular with the ladies at school?

Also, if there was steady plot going on we wouldn't be able to debate what he's still vulnerable to and how he should be building his character, and let's face it that is at least 90% of what's in this thread.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Man you got that backwards. Plot would increase the discussion about how he's hosed up his build, because it would be even more important.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The real pity is, there are no existing items that would directly boost his skill levels or anything to do with exp. Those concepts simply don't exist for anyone but Jee-Han. Of course, that only applies to things made by other people. Monster drops or things Jee-Han crafts himself could very well have effects which explicitly pertain to him.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
I don't think Jee-Han is unique in terms of being special. There seems to be large variations amongst individuals with abilities even if they can be loosely grouped into "families" or what have you. There are probably other people with abilities that are just as abnormal but maybe not as powerful.

I imagine if there are, say, goggles that increase memorization it would be translated as increased experience.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Desuwa posted:

I don't think Jee-Han is unique in terms of being special. There seems to be large variations amongst individuals with abilities even if they can be loosely grouped into "families" or what have you. There are probably other people with abilities that are just as abnormal but maybe not as powerful.

I imagine if there are, say, goggles that increase memorization it would be translated as increased experience.

There is a guy who converts electricity into magic. That's awesome. Can he transform parts of himself into lightning? Who knows?! That has to be initially more powerful than the gamer though.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Soylentbits posted:

There is a guy who converts electricity into magic. That's awesome. Can he transform parts of himself into lightning? Who knows?! That has to be initially more powerful than the gamer though.

Well yeah, a lot of things are more initially powerful than The Gamer. What makes him so broken (that he hasn't quite figured out yet) is that the rules of the Universe are basically spelled out for him.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
There is a guy running around in the immediate vicinity called "Reality Eater" who makes everyone poo poo their pants at the mere mention of his name. By comparison, Jee-Han is still just a novice ability user with a talent for making money.

Chaos341
Aug 13, 2010
Jee-Han's power gives him rapid and nearly infinite power growth so I'd say he came out with a pretty good ability.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Chaos341 posted:

Jee-Han's power gives him rapid and nearly infinite power growth so I'd say he came out with a pretty good ability.

Unless he gets killed. Stupid roguelikes.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
Something that I didn't realize until earlier today is that the latest chapter says he didn't study.

But then what the hell was he studying/reading when he got 'bored' of grinding skills and read for a bit? With Gnome beating on him.

It does seem that the author is just sort of...writing without any idea where to go next, and has forgotten what has already been written.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Kgummy posted:

Something that I didn't realize until earlier today is that the latest chapter says he didn't study.

But then what the hell was he studying/reading when he got 'bored' of grinding skills and read for a bit? With Gnome beating on him.

It does seem that the author is just sort of...writing without any idea where to go next, and has forgotten what has already been written.

Or it's just a messy translation. That's the fun part, we'll never know.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
So does this mean Jee-Han's gonna go to Korean Hogwarts?

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Soylentbits posted:

Unless he gets killed. Stupid roguelikes.

Depending on how far this gamer ability goes, at worst death would reset his progress to zero.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Mindblast posted:

Depending on how far this gamer ability goes, at worst death would reset his progress to zero.
If death for him is actually just an experience loss and inconvenient respawn, I will freely admit the guy doesn't need wisdom at all. He can't gently caress that up.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Twiddy posted:

If death for him is actually just an experience loss and inconvenient respawn, I will freely admit the guy doesn't need wisdom at all. He can't gently caress that up.

Nah he doesn't lose experience only, he loses memories.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009

SystemLogoff posted:

Or it's just a messy translation. That's the fun part, we'll never know.
Looking back at this page, it looks like he only managed to memorize one subject.

Granted, it seems to imply he memorized the entire book, but still. Well at least he'll ace at least one subject.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

He'll have memorized the book but fail because he doesn't understand how to apply the principles behind the subject.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
I'm terrible with names, but didn't the cursed woman say her father explained The Gamer ability to her?

Does that mean there're other Gamers floating around?

CVE
Jan 27, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

I'm terrible with names, but didn't the cursed woman say her father explained The Gamer ability to her?

Does that mean there're other Gamers floating around?

It's more the Abyss sells information on Jee-Han including obviously his ability for the right price.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

Tornhelm posted:

He'll have memorized the book but fail because he doesn't understand how to apply the principles behind the subject.

Haha if only. East Asian education is so absurdly memorization based that having perfect recall of a textbook would almost certainly be enough to ace an exam.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Tornhelm posted:

Wrong culture. Memorization is a sort of high art here.

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!
New chapter: http://www.onemanga.me/the_gamer/55/1/

And he's safe from bullets now, wow

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Okay this all has to come crashing down somewhere right? Otherwise he's just going to be OP as poo poo and that's no fun for anyone except maybe him.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Artificer posted:

Okay this all has to come crashing down somewhere right? Otherwise he's just going to be OP as poo poo and that's no fun for anyone except maybe him.

Oh he might be a god to similar leveled beings, but if the world does work out to be like an MMO one single hit by an out of level range monster will be enough to do him in.

(Goddamnit pump wisdom)

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
At the moment his entire skillset is geared towards defense and survival. When it comes to actually fighting, he's got his arrows and basically nothing else. This works out for him since he's not in this to kick rear end, but eventually he's going to get stuck in a fight. And, well, you can't really win by just turtling forever.

I'm kind of wondering if his friend vanishing into the horizon like that is some visual foreshadowing. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
He can still die if someone shoots him a million times in a minute. Also I don't think hes immune to getting strangled yet.