Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Those look awesome!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis
Thanks! Colonial, I still have most of this set of continentals left to assemble. Do you have any favorite/interesting units and uniforms that I could try and portray?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Battlefront's site is back up, and it's buried in fine print but the 3-for-2 sale doesn't start until the 19th.

Which is just as good because I need to think really hard before I buy more drat models. Especially after the By Fire and Sword kickstarter.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I may grab the Barbarossa book. Possibly.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
Lol and with Me having bought 300 bucks worth of early war Soviets just a month or so ago. Also last night I was talking with a friend who just dropped a similar amount on early war Germans.

loving BF.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Dirt Worshipper posted:

Thanks! Colonial, I still have most of this set of continentals left to assemble. Do you have any favorite/interesting units and uniforms that I could try and portray?

Well, I'm in the 2nd Massachusetts, with brown coats and red facings. Although personally I've always liked the blue with white facings.

There were some interesting colors for state troops, actual regular infantry (not militia) that did not fall under continental command. There were some interesting colors there, although I can't find a good resource now.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

moths posted:

Battlefront's site is back up, and it's buried in fine print but the 3-for-2 sale doesn't start until the 19th.

Which is just as good because I need to think really hard before I buy more drat models. Especially after the By Fire and Sword kickstarter.

Well, that'll teach me to read and not skim, I thought it said it would end on the 19th! Not like I can buy anything at the moment anyways. I so want to use this as an excuse to buy a Polish Armored Company.

Conan the Librarian
Mar 1, 2006

I drink zee beer from zee glass but das boring, das boot? ew yeah das more like it keep pouring

YF19pilot posted:

Well, that'll teach me to read and not skim, I thought it said it would end on the 19th! Not like I can buy anything at the moment anyways. I so want to use this as an excuse to buy a Polish Armored Company.

You want to play EW Polish? I might have something for you.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

So if I'm intending on playing British, are any of those EW books on the front page worth getting?

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!
Blitzkrieg covers the European theatre and Burning Empires covers the African theatre. Both include lists for the British.

No Pun Intended fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Sep 12, 2014

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

No Pun Intended posted:

Blitzkrieg covers the European theatre and Burning Empires covers the African theatre. Both include lists for the British.

Oh I get that they and Hellfire and Back have British forces in them, I'm just asking are they worth it? ie Have they been superseded, or is there a compendium, etc

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

YF19pilot posted:

Sorry, it's the FoW arbitrary divisions of WWII. EW = Early War 1939-1941, MW = Mid War 1942-1943, LW = Late War 1944-1945

I meant to do this when you first asked, but have been getting caught up in packing and getting ready for my move, so I apologize:
Small base is 1" x 1.25" and is used for teams of 1-3 men (your command teams, bazooka teams, snipers).
Medium base is 1.25" x 2" or two small bases stuck along the long edge, used for teams of 4-5 men, or man-packed and light guns.
Large base is 2" x 2.5" or two Medium bases stuck along the long edge, used for gun teams with 5+ crew, heavy and immobile guns.
General rule of thumb is to place models on to the smallest base that the model will fit on, so even though a PaK40 is allowed to be on a Medium base, they're generally too big and are put onto a Large base. Vehicles do not have to be based, and those that are modelled with a base usually vary from these sizes, but in general, jeeps and the like are on a small base, trucks and half-tracks on a medium base. Motorcycle teams, with very few exceptions, are put on large bases, usually two motorcycles to a base (this includes the goofy new German motorcycle teams that drive kubelwagens instead of motorcycles, two kubels to a large base).
Tanks are not required to be based, though many third party models come with the bases modeled onto the tanks.

Awesome thanks - I know I could have looked it up and found it eventually, but learning a whole new system and scale is daunting, and I didn't want to get stuck into reading tons of unrelated stuff when I just need to think about basing :)

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!

NTRabbit posted:

Oh I get that they and Hellfire and Back have British forces in them, I'm just asking are they worth it? ie Have they been superseded, or is there a compendium, etc

As far as I know there aren't any books superseding these; however I think the desert books have slightly more refined versions of some of the lists in blitzkrieg.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

NTRabbit posted:

Depends on what you want and what theater you want to do. There is some variation in tanks available between Blitzkreig and Hellfire and Back, with the latter allowing you to take Honeys (M3 Stuarts), Crusaders, and stolen Italian tanks. Burning Empires is great for if you want to do the LRDG/SAS desert raiders (you do). I have a bias towards the African Campaign as it's a very mobile campaign, and the books seem to reflect this well. In reallity, with buy 2 get 1 and the books discounted, no reason not to get all three and go from there.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Seems like a good weekend for deals-Plastic Soldier Company is having a 25% off sale.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Seems like a good weekend for deals-Plastic Soldier Company is having a 25% off sale.
Time to buy that EW Infantry Tank Company I planned to do.

quote:

Headquarters
Compulsory Infantry Tank Company HQ (p.120) CinC A12 Matilda Senior CT 235

Combat
Compulsory A12 Tank Platoon Command A12 Matilda Senior, 2x A12 Matilda Senior CT 710 1
Compulsory A11 Tank Platoon Command A11 Matilda (0.5" MG), 2x A11 Matilda CT 200 1
A11 Tank Platoon Command A11 Matilda (0.5" MG), 2x A11 Matilda CT 200 1

Support
Rifle Platoon (Territorial) (p.125) Command Rifle/MG, 6x Rifle/MG, Light Mortar, Anti-tank Rifle CT 145 1

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Dammit, just got my infantry company and box of five tanks...but this is a good reason to get a box box of M5s, half-tracks and a heavy infantry company, right? Right?

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

krushgroove posted:

Dammit, just got my infantry company and box of five tanks...but this is a good reason to get a box box of M5s, half-tracks and a heavy infantry company, right? Right?

Do it, make an Armored Rifle Company :getin:

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Forums Terrorist posted:

Do it, make an Armored Rifle Company :getin:

What do I need to make that? Serious question, I have little knowledge of WW2 stuff. I have 5 each half-tracks, M4s and M5s, a heavy weapons infantry box and a standard infantry box.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

krushgroove posted:

What do I need to make that? Serious question, I have little knowledge of WW2 stuff. I have 5 each half-tracks, M4s and M5s, a heavy weapons infantry box and a standard infantry box.

A typical late war ARP has 5 M3 half-tracks, 5 rifle teams, 5 bazooka teams, a command team, a 60mm mortar team, and two m1919 .30 cal MG teams. You need two of those, and then a HQ consisting of two command carbine teams, a jeep and another half-track. Once you've got that it's down to what book and era you're making. I'd check out EasyArmy, you can get unlimited access to a book for $2 and it's a fantastic tool for list-making.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Forums Terrorist posted:

A typical late war ARP has 5 M3 half-tracks, 5 rifle teams, 5 bazooka teams, a command team, a 60mm mortar team, and two m1919 .30 cal MG teams. You need two of those, and then a HQ consisting of two command carbine teams, a jeep and another half-track. Once you've got that it's down to what book and era you're making. I'd check out EasyArmy, you can get unlimited access to a book for $2 and it's a fantastic tool for list-making.

http://fowlists.blogspot.com is a good resource as well, though it's been pretty slow to update recently. But yeah, between the Infantry box, the heavy weapon box, and the two sets of halftracks, you should have enough for two Armored Rifle Platoons, with a whole bunch of extra infantry to spare.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Man, that PSC deal is so good but shipping to the US is soooo bad.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Armoured company bought. I need to get some BEF Infantry now to finish it. Whole thing cost me like £40. Nice.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Bah, dammit, OK, ordered another box of half-tracks! I'll worry about finding a jeep later, for now I need to find decal sheets for the stars, etc. Is there a decent UK supplier or will any sheet of 15mm size stars do? I don't think hand painting a billion stars on the vehicles will be the most fun thing ever.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

krushgroove posted:

Bah, dammit, OK, ordered another box of half-tracks! I'll worry about finding a jeep later, for now I need to find decal sheets for the stars, etc. Is there a decent UK supplier or will any sheet of 15mm size stars do? I don't think hand painting a billion stars on the vehicles will be the most fun thing ever.

I thought PSC had decal sheets. If not, it may just be easier to go direct to the source and get your Jeeps and decals from Battlefront. (Truth be told, I've generally left the stars off because they often go on surfaces not conducive to decaling).

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
Yeah Plastic Solider company also sells decals so you could just order them from the same place you got the other stuff.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Ah yes, found them on the PSC site, but I've got some sheets of stars on the way, so those should do me for a while. Thanks for the links as well, looks like I have some reading up to do, as usual!

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
We put up another Bolt Action battle report, this time trying out Tank War. Check it out! http://youtu.be/nXRDvE0fFTQ

Also, Black Tree Design is having a 50% off sale

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
So the Flames of War site has a preview of the new Barbarossa book. Not much there except some army lists, but what's interesting is that the Russian lists reveal A) Both Guards and Red Army are rated as Conscripts, and B) T-34s are goddamn expensive. As in, "More expensive than Jadgtigers" expensive. Are there even any more expensive units in the game right now, given the veterancy rating?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Are they doing that to control the number you can field? Seems odd to do, but it would be more historically accurate.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Colonial Air Force posted:

Are they doing that to control the number you can field? Seems odd to do, but it would be more historically accurate.

It's probably that and for balance. I don't have much experience with Early War, but from my understanding most Early-War units have poor AT and poor armor, which is one of the reasons why the Matilda is so good. Given that the T-34 mixes excellent armor, armament, and speed for the period, it makes sense that they'd be priced appropriately and given the poor veterancy to prevent them from outclassing everything else in the period.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Acebuckeye13 posted:

So the Flames of War site has a preview of the new Barbarossa book. Not much there except some army lists, but what's interesting is that the Russian lists reveal A) Both Guards and Red Army are rated as Conscripts, and B) T-34s are goddamn expensive. As in, "More expensive than Jadgtigers" expensive. Are there even any more expensive units in the game right now, given the veterancy rating?

Any idea what the stat line is? If it's anywhere close to it's MW/LW stat-line (Soviet Sherman), it's going to be damned expensive. I imagine the PIVE/F1/F2 will be equally expensive.

e: ha, ha, 300 points, that's Elefant points.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Well, they weren't exactly conscripts at Barbarossa, but they may as well have been. All their officers were taken out during The Purge, most of them had never seen any combat (maybe some in the Winter War), and they were all told not to shoot the Germans even as they invaded. They were all totally unprepared.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

YF19pilot posted:

Any idea what the stat line is? If it's anywhere close to it's MW/LW stat-line (Soviet Sherman), it's going to be damned expensive. I imagine the PIVE/F1/F2 will be equally expensive.

e: ha, ha, 300 points, that's Elefant points.

It's a T-34 obr 1941, so the statline should be the same as the obr '41 in Eastern Front: 6/4/1 with a Co-Axial and Hull MG, Wide Tracks, and the Fast Tank rule, with a RoF 2 AT 9 FP 3+ gun. Which, from what I understand from Early War tanks, is absolutely horrifying.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

I eagerly await the 400 point KV-1.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I saw a Czech tank force, but is it otherwise just Germany and Soviets?

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Acebuckeye13 posted:

It's a T-34 obr 1941, so the statline should be the same as the obr '41 in Eastern Front: 6/4/1 with a Co-Axial and Hull MG, Wide Tracks, and the Fast Tank rule, with a RoF 2 AT 9 FP 3+ gun. Which, from what I understand from Early War tanks, is absolutely horrifying.

Yup, that is going to hurt. So much for the French heavies being untouchable. :france: (I thought there was a crying Char emote, what happened to that?)

moths posted:

I saw a Czech tank force, but is it otherwise just Germany and Soviets?

Germans in Pz35(t) and Pz38(t) tanks. Basically the unit that Otto Carius cut his teeth in as a loader when he first joined the Panzer Corps.

CovfefeCatCafe fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Sep 18, 2014

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I'm mostly hoping Romania got a new list. Maybe they'll put something online.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
I sort of wish I'd jumped on the PSC sale, since I'm really tempted to try and pick up some Zvezda KVs and T-34s and start a cheap army. Only need five tanks!*

*Depending on how many tanks you need per platoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

I picked up some Tigers and got a T-35 for the gently caress of it, and now I'm seriously thinking of making a cheap Heavy Tankovy because T-35s are the best dumbest tanks.