Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
What I did to my ride: Put new chain adjusters on the xr100

What my ride did to me:

I pinched the tip of it between the swing arm and the wheel while pulling the axle and my finger split right where it meets the finger nail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
OUCH

I'm sorry about your finger

but I'm also amused (and relieved) to see someone else doing the improvised bandage thing with a paper towel and a zip tie, if that's what it looks like. I've had to do that a bunch of times and my wife has given me poo poo about it for years. It works though, faster and less messily than bleeding all over the floor in the house while fumbling around looking for gauze and first aid tape.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Usually it would be paper towel and tape but there happened to be a partially zipped zip strip on the floor that fit perfectly

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
I've used duct tape and a clean shop rag before, when I nearly took the tip of my index finger off. Kept me from dripping everywhere while I drove to the store to get some gauze and antiseptics so I could properly bandage it.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

So I should probably change it then?

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

EX250 Type R posted:

So I should probably change it then?

Yeah. Use electrical tape, though. It's somewhat stretchy so it won't constrict the wound as badly.

Electrical tape (even alone) is about the best improvised bandage out there. Stretchy in case you need some compression, easy to get off, glue doesn't dissolve in blood like duct tape or packing tape glue does, and comes in many attractive colors.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

EX250 Type R posted:

What I did to my ride: Put new chain adjusters on the xr100

What my ride did to me:

I pinched the tip of it between the swing arm and the wheel while pulling the axle and my finger split right where it meets the finger nail.

I'm just going to assume there's vodka in that dew.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Would that taste good?

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

EX250 Type R posted:

Would that taste good?

No.

Think vodka +monster, but worse.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I often forget many of you are several years older than me and didn't grow up with such sweet things.

The point of the vodka is that you can't taste it over the dew.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
When you aren't 20 anymore you drink things that taste good as opposed to not tasting bad.

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

I drink whiskey (bourbon or scotch) these days, my debilitating alcoholism almost feels classy.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

bourbon is for plebes and scotch is for plebes trying to pretend they aren't. rye is the top of the whiskey pyramid.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Someone's never tried Blanton's.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
Ignore, phone etc.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Whiskey is disgusting in all it's forms HTH.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Most of your posts are annoying but that one just made me physically mad. And also sad for your kiwi palette.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--

Slavvy posted:

Whiskey is disgusting in all it's forms HTH.

This guy speaks the troof.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

nsaP posted:

Most of your posts are annoying but that one just made me physically mad. And also sad for your kiwi palette.

He's of Eastern European descent, the only flavours he finds acceptable are the oily taste of cheap vodka and bleak bitterness of oppression.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

HotCanadianChick posted:

He's of Eastern European descent, the only flavours he finds acceptable are the oily taste of cheap vodka and bleak bitterness of oppression.

Got it in one. Also lol at being sad for my kiwi palette; I've tasted what Americans refer to as 'beer'.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Slavvy posted:

Got it in one. Also lol at being sad for my kiwi palette; I've tasted what Americans refer to as 'beer'.

Anchor Steam?

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Slavvy posted:

I've tasted what Americans refer to as 'beer'.

Watered down piss, more like.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Chichevache posted:

Anchor Steam?

Budweiser tastes very watery and cloyingly sweet. The yellow stuff with the black italic logo tastes like:

Odette posted:

Watered down piss, more like.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
LOL We export the big brewery poo poo beer, all the good stuff stays domestic. The days of crap pale lagers defining "American Beer" and well over and I probably have more microbrew choices in the average corner market than you have on your whole Island.

Here is an extremely incomplete list: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_microbreweries

edit: Here you go, much more complete: http://www.bcca.com/services/brewery_listing.asp

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

American Macro brews taste like freedom, it is no wonder that only Americans really enjoy them

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

Budweiser? I don't know a single person who drinks that honestly, besides the guys who just pick up a 6 pack of whatever from the gas station, either cause they're broke, don't care, or don't know any better.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

bourbon is for plebes and scotch is for plebes trying to pretend they aren't. rye is the top of the whiskey pyramid.

You're missing Irish whiskey in your list.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Chris Knight posted:

You're missing Irish whiskey in your list.

That is for cleaning the toilet.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

clutchpuck posted:

That is for cleaning the toilet.

What? I want to make sure things go down, not come back up. :confused:

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Alcohol is bad for you, fyi. Also disgusting.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Slavvy posted:

I've tasted what Americans refer to as 'beer'.

http://www.beeradvocate.com/place/city/16/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brewing_in_Oregon
http://www.travelportland.com/article/portland-breweries/
http://oregoncraftbeer.org/breweries/portland-area/

We have more breweries here than any other city on earth (we eclipsed Munich years ago), and also the largest craft brewing festival on the continent, and our beers win more gold medals at international beer competitions than any other place on the planet.

Notable is local brewer Hair Of The Dog, many of whose beers range from 10% alcohol to 29% alcohol.

Sorry you aren't man enough for American beer* :smugdog:

*(sorry none of the good beers get exported, the only American beers that ever get exported overseas are the garbage even we don't like. :()

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.
Next up for the FZ6 was a new air filter. Really quick and easy job, it literally took five minutes. The old filter was really black and dirty.

Maybe it's just placebo but I think the engine feels a bit more powerful and more willing to rev.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Probably not a placebo at all. An air filter is p fuckin important

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
drat I should check my fz6 filter - I bet it's the original and I have ~17k miles

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
You don't even have to replace them, you can just pull it out and knock out the stuff/put a vacuum on it.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

nsaP posted:

You don't even have to replace them, you can just pull it out and knock out the stuff/put a vacuum on it.

That's what I did after learning it's $60-70 for a new one. It seems clean enough.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

For street bikes I just clean and re-install or switch to a reusable cleanable filter.

Though you can do more harm than good by cleaning and gooping a filter wrong and re-installing it, so its worth taking some care.

For my dirt bikes I used to do the reusable filters and now I just buy notoils and replace them every 10 hours or so. Engines are too high strung and the environment to harsh to do anything else I feel.

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.
That's not a bad idea, but it felt appropriate to replace the filter after seven years and 40000 km. I'll definitely take a vacuum to it next 10000 km service though.

Next up is replacing spark plugs, coolant, brake fluid and checking valve clearance.

I also need to check and lubricate the steering bearings but checking the bearings (and other things) that I'll need a good triple tree stand. BikeTek ones seems reasonably cheap while still having bracing struts to keep structural integrity. The Fz6 wants a 21mm adapter pin so not all manufacturers are compatible. I'd love to get some Pit Bull stands but shipping and import taxes would make it ridiculously expensive. :saddowns:

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

makka-setan posted:

I'll need a good triple tree stand

Fast forward 7 years of multiple street bike, track bike and dirt bike ownership and you'll go loving mad trying to find a home for all your stands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

KARMA! posted:

Alcohol is bad for you, fyi. Also disgusting.

So is literally every other pleasurable thing on Earth.

Spiffness posted:

Fast forward 7 years of multiple street bike, track bike and dirt bike ownership and you'll go loving mad trying to find a home for all your stands.

Or just buy an Abba stand and chuck the relevant adaptor in it as needed.